Start by marking “Buddha is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living” as Want to Read:
Buddha is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living

Buddha is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  819 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In 2006 His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who calls Lama Surya Das the American Lama, said to an American audience, "It is not enough just to meditate and pray, which are always good things to do, but we also must take positive action in this world."

In the process of awakening, the Buddha realized that all of us, deep within, are inherently perfect and whole, with the capacity

Published April 10th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Buddha is as Buddha Does, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha is as Buddha Does

Amy
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
I finished this book last night and boy was I glad to finish.

I normally LOVE LOVE LOVE Lama Surya Das.

This book covers the 10 perfections. I was over it about the 7th perfection.

I did truly love the first part of the book but tired of it.

When I picked up this book, I was really needing a spiritual kick in the ass which it did provide me.

I feel more on track and in balance after reading it but I didn't enjoy it as much as other books I've read of his.
Wendy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book breaks down Buddhist practices for the average person just trying to get by in the world. You don't need to travel to Tibet, practice yoga several hours per day, meditate constantly, speak Sanskrit or read sacred Indian texts to get something out of this. It offers suggestions for starting where you are, explains theories in relatively easy to understand methods and includes some simple exercises that anyone can do, such as wishing well each person you pass in a day or using "the four ...more
Tessa
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eastern
I read this in '09 in Brooklyn.

As with most things eastern, it's one of those "every time you pick it up, it'll have a slightly deeper/different meaning than before" books.

I have it on my most prominent shelf in my living room now. Just so I open it up and review as often as I think to.
Leslyevans
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a practical and beautiful guide for being a better human being, and not just for the Buddhist crowd. Buy it immediately!
Keith Willcock
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is touted as a practical guide to wise living. The author has an extensive experience in Buddhist philosophy and practice and by melding this background with his knowledge of western society and it's own brand of self awareness techniques he has created a rather wonderful book.

Each chapter develops a themes such as Ethical Self Discipline; The Power of Heroic Effort; The Transcendental Gift of Generosity and so forth and, lest we should get too comfortable lolling on our meditation cus
Barb
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
I wavered between a 3 and a 4 rating on this one. I finally wound up with a 4, because I think part of my issue with this book is that it took me so flipping long to read it, and I lost track of the overall theme. Not the author's fault. Lama Surya Das (or as I will now always think of him, "Jeff from Brooklyn") has an engaging voice, and presents the attributes and practices of a bodhisattva in an encouraging, conversational way. Probably not the first book anyone should read about Buddhism, bu ...more
Rasciana R-S.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is being added to my list of best books ever! Regardless of religion or beliefs, it has many important things to say about the best ways to live, within yourself, and out of yourself by helping people, and tells you step by step ways to do this, and gives great examples. I plan on buying it soon and adding it to my collection, so I can always refer to it when I need help with an aspect of my life!
Mary
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just started this book. If you're interested in learning more about the Buddist faith, this book breaks down the complex philosophies of Buddism. It's straight-forward and comforting. I recommend reading this when you're ready for something deep. It's not a vacation read. It's a note-taking read.
Randy Johnson
I hesitate to say much about this book, as reading a spiritual treatise is even more personal and subjective than reading most books. I'll just say there's a lot to chew on here and I'll almost certainly read it again sometime.
Gen
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book soothes the soul -- as good as 10 mojitos! If you're looking to change your consciousness in a way that is easy to apply to Western culture (well, let's just say it: American culture), this is a great primer.
Cory
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Slogged through some of the book. Not a lot of memorable "ka-pow" moments.
Dominic Gadoury
While this is a great book of understanding Buddhism principles, it fell a little flat for me in it's delivery, I still recommend it for anyone looking for a good book of practical book of living.
Kissiah
Feb 27, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Only on chapter 5 of 10, but I have already found such impactful take-aways. Lama Surya Das continues to bring it home!
Lynn
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great read, although I am not certain I have completed. One of those books you pick up, and each time you open, you are at the lesson for the day.
k8beeZ
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this one, REALLY a great read.
Seth Stephens
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers a wide range relative to where a particular reader is on "the path" but even for someone who has read alot on the topic this book has fresh perspective and is very concise.
Tracy
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll read anything by Lama Surya Das.
Ki Goff
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really outstanding example of instructive and inspirational Buddhist literature.
Kristin
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's in a spiritual rut and needs some focussing
I'm thinking that this should be an ongoing read...Very inspirational and enlightening but a little overwhelming all at once. I'm going to try an focus on 1 paramita at a time.
Tia
Nov 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that wants inner peace
Ok I have to get this book. Library read it is not for the simple reason that I will need to reference it many times throughout my life :)
Kym
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Colleen
I liked this book and found it instructional, but a bit flat, too, no bells of inspiration going off. I guess that's what I expected.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My copy obtained in Boston and signed by Lama Surya at BookPeople in Austin, Texas.
Jay
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, my-library
Anyone reading this book will benefit from the life lessons discussed without having an interest in Buddhism. My study in Buddhism was enhanced by the reading of this book.
Erma Aker
Some good thought-provoking questions in this book.
Julie
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into this book. Only made it halfway through before I gave up completely. Maybe I will try again at a later date.
Celio Leite
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The Western Lama.”

His most recent book is Make Me One with Everything: Buddhist Meditations to Awaken from the Illusion of Separation. He is well
More about Lama Surya Das...

“The more truthful I am with myself and others, the more my conscience is clear and tranquil. Thus, I can more thoroughly and unequivocally inhabit the present moment and accept everything that happens without fear, knowing that what goes around comes around (the law of karma). Ethical morality and self-discipline represent the good ground, or stable basis. Mindful awareness is the skillful and efficacious grow-path, or way. Wisdom and compassion constitute the fruit, or result. This is the essence of Buddhism [...]” 21 likes
“It almost seems as though this roiling world is conspiring to test our patience at every turn. In fact, it is. With this in mind, we would be wise to look on our imperfect environment as a teacher rather than an antagonist. It constantly shows us that we need to be patient on an ongoing basis, not just every now and then, if we´re going to realize true inner peace, happiness, and fulfillment.” 20 likes