Start by marking “The Big Bamboo” as Want to Read:
The Big Bamboo

The Big Bamboo (Serge A. Storms #8)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,210 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Serge A. Storms returns!

The world's most beloved serial killer is back with an Oscar-worthy cast of Sunshine State nut jobs and his insatiable passion for All Things Florida.

During this latest cavalcade of nonstop felonies—from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale to Orlando—Serge finds time to resurrect his obsession with movies, particularly those showcasing his beloved home state.
Paperback, Large Print, 492 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by WmMorrow (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bamboo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bamboo

Mike French
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining and enjoyable book by Tim Dorsey! I am sure that he lives in a rubber room except when he is doing book tours.
Lisa Weber
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audio book, and I really wasn't sure what to expect. I had read some of the reviews, and I didn't think I'd like it. At first, I didn't. It's silly. After a while though, I began to enjoy Tim Dorsey's particular brand of silly. I don't know why I like it, but I really do, and I would be happy to read more Tim Dorsey.

Go in with no expectations, and enjoy!
Judy
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Considering my aversion to Hollywood and my need for a humorous book, this seemed to fit the bill nicely. At times it was extremely funny and at other times just plain silly. Regardless, it was a very light read and for the most part fun. If it wasn't for a few very over-used cliches and a really bad ending I would definitely give it another star.
Brian
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Big Bamboo" is Tim Dorsey's mockup / satire on Hollywood culture. It can be biting at times, but much of the time it feels hackneyed and annoying. I always read a couple of Dorsey novels on the beach every summer, and they are hit and miss. "The Big Bamboo" is a miss most of the time. I have read nine Dorsey novels so far, and "The Big Bamboo" is in the bottom three. However, for mindless beach reading I still think Tim Dorsey is one of your better options.
For this novel Dorsey brings back
Cheryl Gatling
I had not read any of the other books in the series, so I had no idea what to expect. I read almost a full chapter before I realized, hey, this is funny! But only if you don't think about it too much. Serge Storms is a psychopath. He talks constantly, and his mind goes ping-ping-ping from one subject to another. He was raised by a team of con men, and he has branched out to include murdering people he thinks deserve it. His partner, Coleman, is continually intoxicated, and adds nothing to Serge' ...more
P.C. Zick
I like Tim Dorsey's satirical novels for the most part. He takes a serial killer and turns him into a hero in Serge Storms. In a land where many unsavory things are held up as virtuous, Dorsey forces his readers to recognize the absurdity of our culture, particularly the deranged ones in the Sunshine State. For The Big Bambo he left Florida for the glitz and glamor of the gold rush we know of as Hollywood.

Serge and Coleman are once again a part of the novel, but not prominently at first, and I m
Marc
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tim-dorsey, humor
Serge Storms and his sobriety-challenged companion Coleman travel from Florida to Hollywood in the hopes of convincing the studios to bring their movie-making machine to the Sunshine State. Of course, it's not as easy as that: dead bodies pop up along the way and the attention of various law enforcement agencies and underworld figures follows. Serge is clearly the "MacGyver" of serial killers as he can seemingly concoct a painful demise out of ordinary items with ease. Serge's beloved grandfathe ...more
Erik
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was terrible. No two ways about it. The plot sounded interesting, and could have been very good. But the dialogue was atrocious with lines like "You just murdered the famous actress Alley Street" or "Look there's boy band heartthrob Jason Geddy" . And with "current" celebrity references to Cher and Cindy Crawford, along with swipes at tourists and their "instamatics", and you can see this is cutting edge stuff. I gave up before I got to the Bernie Getz and Ronald Regan jokes.
Sandi
While I loved the first three books in this series this is the second in a row that was just barely OK. Serge is still his manic self but the plot was even less coherent than usual and the whole Hollywood setting just set my teeth on edge. The narration of the audio by the always good George Wilson was the only reason I finished.
Jack
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion the book where Dorsey most perfectly blends an exquisite plot with the inspired, if morbidly black comedy of Serge and Coleman.
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it's been a while since I've read it, and all of Tim Dorsey's books to me are very good, and I've read every last one, so one general old timey review.....two thumbs up....for all of them.
Jeanne
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serge and Coleman take tinsel town! Lots of the same shenanigans, but on the west coast instead of Florida. Rating bumped up due to an unexpected twist at the end of the story . . . . 6 out of 10.
Les Edgerton
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I run into Serge Storms in Tim Dorsey's books, I like him more and more. Just wished he lived in my neighborhood!

Dorsey's books all crackle!
Barbara Nutting
I didn't like this one as well as the others I have read in this series - maybe because it was Hollywood, California vs Hollywood, Florida! I am a native Californian who attended Hollywood High, so the territory was familiar to me but it just doesn't have the same quirkiness as my adopted home of Florida.
Traummachine
I was really surprised by how mediocre this book was! I thought maybe my mood just didn't match the book, so I even put it down about halfway through, read another book and then came back to it. Nope, still really disappointing. I remember really loving everything Dorsey wrote before this, so what happened? The last one I read, Torpedo Juice, was back in 2008. Have my tastes changed so much?

I realize that not everything a favorite author puts out will be a gem, and I realize that they (like ever
Kara Jorges
Mr. Dorsey can’t always be “on,” and Torpedo Juice is a hard act to follow, so the latest falls near the bottom of my Dorsey list. If this was the first Dorsey book I’d read, would I read another? Yes. It’s just that this one falls a little flat. Maybe it’s because Dorsey isn’t at home in LA like he is in Miami, but this story was just a lot of following Serge and Coleman on their frenetic tour of LA when they weren’t doing much of anything.

Because of a scam his grandfather pulled, Serge goes to
Alpha
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Serge is back but this time around he is traveling to the West Coast, most preferably to Hollywood to convince all the bigwigs of the movie industry to do all their filmmaking back in Florida. This new adventure Serge is going on was actually exciting to read since he hardly to never steps out of Florida. I actually learned that originally the movie industry was here in Florida. The state I live in was supposed to be the Hollywood to the stars and maybe that is why Florida has a Hollywood city ...more
Neil
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first encounter with Dorsey, and I'm not sure what to make of it. He's kind of like Carl Hiaasen, but more over the top. This is an all-out spoof of the film industry. Most of the jokes (evil producers, vapid stars, everyone has a screenplay, endless parties that no one seems to enjoy, etc.) feel a little recycled, but the overall effect is still amusing in a madcap way.

Drawn west from Florida by Serge's interest in the movie industry and his dying grandfather, Serge and stoner buddy
TCPils
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's almost Labor Day so I thought I'd wrap up my summer reading with one more Tim Dorsey novel. Although I've been trying, I haven't been reading them in chronological order. Doesn't seem to matter though because they're all able to stand on their own.

This time Serge Storms busts out of his native Florida and takes us on a trip to Los Angeles. It seems Serge is not only a Florida history buff but he's well versed in all things Hollywood as well. As always, a hilarious cast of characters keep t
Lana.
Serge and Coleman are off to Hollywood! And readers are in for a treat as Serge pulls everyone along into the glitz, glamour, trivia, and general ridiculousness of all that glitters.

Things go hilariously awry for Hollywood executives when the kidnappers they hire for a scam end up being Serge and Coleman. Yes, there are blood and explosions and plenty of tabloid headlines, but there may be some in each category you might not have expected.

Really wish I was reading / listening to these in order
Becki Basley
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After listening to Atomic Lobster, our introduction to Tim Dorsey and to his interesting character, Serge. I was sent to the library by my daughter (don't worry she's over 18 lol) to try me find as many audiobooks as I could get via interlibrary loan. The librarian told us they would probably trickle in a few at a time but we are now in a Dorsey marathon as we got all of them in (except the first one no one had that one) and this is the book we just finished.

We really liked this book and just l
Brett
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Yes, Serge Storms continues to be the most likable accidental serial killer out there (he doesn't mean to, it's just that there are so many people out there who need to be killed) & laugh-out-loud hilarious. This book takes a very different direction from past entries by taking place almost entirely outside of Florida. True, Serge & the gang have had brief forays as far out as New York City, but the major part of the action always centers around Florida, the state Serge loves more than a ...more
Ben Mason
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, liberated, borrowed
This is my first encounter with Dorsey. Maybe it's because I just had my first encounter with Faulkner, but I couldn't make it 100 pages into this. I know that doesn't give him a chance to even fully set up the plot, but I just couldn't bear to make it that far. It's a slapstick serial killer (part of a saga, judging from the back cover) but doesn't take itself quite seriously enough to make me care. I knew it would be lighthearted, but I didn't realize it was made lighter by tropes and poor wri ...more
Phil Hill
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I believe it, Tim Dorsey and his side kicks, Serge and Coleman have done it again. A true classic with a laugh every turn of the page. Hollywood will never be the same and Florida is about to get rejuvenated in the film industry via Serge. Dorsey has a distinct flair for writing that captivates the reader, no holds bar. Even Grandpa Sergio and his cronies make a splash in this rip roaring tale. The secret that Grandpa has for Serge is not revealed until the very end and I am NOT going to ruin it ...more
Anthony
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This was the second book by Dorsey that I have read and I liked it as much as I did Atomic Lobster. Taking place in Hollywood it takes a behind the scenes look at movie deals, corruption, drugs, spoiled actors and actresses, producers and writers. Everybody is playing someone so they can get their shot at stardom. Throw Serge and Coleman in the mix and you get quite a story. I liked the back story about Serge's grandfather because it gave some insight into how Serge became the way he ...more
It was an OK story, but I didn't really like the manner in which it was written. I think it could have been better, if the author had made the pieces of the story flow better as he told them instead of jumping all over. I guess the point was it was like movie, with a scene from this building to show what is going on in each characters life at that point, but I found it a bit confusing. The story itself is good with a really interesting twist. This author was so talked up to me, that I was disapp ...more
Joyce
good reads summary: His marriage plans fizzled, so Floridaphile serial killer Serge A. Storms is on a new mission: to convince the West Coast movie industry bigwigs to do their business in his beloved Sunshine State. So it's off to Tinseltown with his substance-sustained sidekick, Coleman to schmooze with craven cokehead producers and visiting Yakuza, who are wrestling to salvage the most disastrous big-budget stinkeroo in the history of celluloid . . . and to radically reduce the rampaging popu ...more
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book starring a humorous serial killer is bound to be funny, right? Well, no. Maybe not.

First off, this is probably about 100 pages too long, or close to it. It's frankly just exhausting to read this kind of madcap adventure and keep it all straight, in my opinion. And, unfortunately, while the book starts off with some laugh out loud stuff, either it doesn't keep it up, or the jokes get old. I can't tell.

Not altogether horrible by any means, but I'd look elsewhere for a pleasant (and serial
Chad Malkamaki
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the course of eight books, Serge Storm's antics have grown on me. With each new tale, Dorsey pokes at another American institution, pulling it apart, and showing the grit that makes up the industry. This book's victim, Hollywood, Los Angeles and all the seedy underbelly that our favorite serial killer unravels.

Dorsey brings back Sergio, Serge's grandfather, and members of Sergio's crew that was introduced a few books back. Along with Coleman his trusty doped out sidekick, the action come f
Sean
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book for audio--great for driving, the gym, just walking around. As a novel in itself, probably not my favorite of Dorsey's series. Serge Storms, Dorsey's anti-hero, a hypermanic charismatic killer (but, like Dexter, another charismatic anti-hero serial killer from Florida, he only kills the bad guys) actually seems a bit subdued compared to previous outings. Despite giving this one only three stars, I'm still looking forward to reading more of Dorsey's Serge books.
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Naked Came the Manatee
  • Dark Light (Doc Ford Mystery, #13)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Heart Seizure
  • Tricky Business
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)

“She knew my buttons and kept pressing them like an epileptic in an arcade. If it’s any consolation, I gave her fair warning.” “Oh, my God!” 0 likes
“The best life is when your dreams come true. The second best is when they don’t, but you never stop chasing.” 0 likes