Start by marking “Act One” as Want to Read:
Act One

Act One

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"One of the best of the year...a compelling novella about a once-famous actress and her devoted manager who get much more publicity of an unfortunate sort when they inadvertently become embroiled with an act of biological terrorism with potentially world-changing results."-Gardner Dozois, Locus ****
Published March 9th 2010 by Phoenix Pick (first published March 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Act One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Act One

Ben Babcock
Few authors have won my heart as quickly as Nancy Kress. Two years ago, I had never heard of her. Suddenly I have seven of her books on my shelf, only one of which I've read. Like Octavia E. Butler does in Lilith's Brood , Nancy Kress uses genetic engineering to comment on what we consider human. With Nothing Human, Kress looks at humanity through posthuman eyes, asking where we draw the line between human and inhuman—when we can cut down the chromosomal level, what criteria are we using to dec ...more
Rob
....Act One is quite a dense piece of writing, I needed a couple of days to reflect on this story before I began this review. It's one of those stories one should savour, it's not a long text but one that demands some time to read it properly. It is definitely one of the stronger stories by Kress I have read. She must have had some fierce competition to miss all those awards. It's an emotionally intense look at some of the questions raised by advances in genetics. Recommended reading.

Random Comm
Nupur Hukmani
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nancy Kress weaves beautiful short stories around the theme of science fiction intertwined with the philosophy of life in the most effortless way! The choice of characters is absurd to say the least- but her description of their life's stories will make your heart wrench. A short and an excellent read.
PS>I will most definitely, genetically modify my children to be more empathetic after reading this book!!
Jenni
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, female-author
Quick and fun. At the beginning of the year, I had never heard of Nancy Kress, in December I'm a huge fan.
Martina Frammartino

Narrare una vicenda ambientata in un futuro molto prossimo per parlare del nostro presente è da sempre uno dei motivi portanti della fantascienza. E questo è esattamente ciò che fa Nancy Kress in Atto primo, prendendo spunto da un tema importante per sviscerarne le possibilità e fare ipotesi su scenari non troppo lontani da noi.

Ingegneria genetica. Due sole parole che sono sufficienti a creare speranze e paure, dimostrandosi capaci di suscitare dibattiti scientifici ma anche e soprattutto etici
Jeff Miller
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting Nebula nominee award story. A fading actress and her manager while researching a role get caught up in an underground group doing illegal gene research and have other plans to introduce their work. The two people have a fair amount of baggage as they deal with this situation that goes far beyond their control. The plot and the characters like the best of SF give you lots to think about.

I got this as a free eBook via Phoenix Picks monthy program, but I think this story is also av
Mike Franklin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first time I’ve read any of Nancy Kress’ work and I am suitably impressed. Though only a short novella, Kress manages to squeeze into it an interesting idea, with well-rounded characters (though not particularly lovable ones) and a good plot.

The idea of a ‘terrorist’ spreading a ‘plague’ across the world’s population that makes all humans, to a greater or lesser degree, more empathetic is really quite intriguing and her exploration of this idea is well presented and very easy readin
Susan
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I love Nancy Kress as a writer, but I think I like her long works better than her short ones. This is called a novella, and it seemed rather like a long short story to me. That doesn't leave much time for character development, but I did like the first-person protagonist. The central issue of genetic manipulation is one Kress often uses, and she deals with it well here. The ending includes a fascinating twist; I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I think it rounds out the story well.
Riona
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fairly interesting novella that taps into current concerns about genetic engineering, but unfortunately I didn't find it that engaging. The characters didn't seem that developed to me and I had a hard time identifying with or caring about any of them. I think this one might actually work better if it were expanded into a full-length novel. Some parts seemed like they were just glossed over and the ending especially was wrapped up a little too quickly for my taste.
D.J. Cockburn
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stories like this are the reason I read science fiction but don't find enough of. Kress uses the genre conventions to explore the relationship between human biology and human personality, all through superbly constructed characters. The choice of protagonist is a masterstroke, as his misanthropic eyes observe the other characters as they learn the fallacy of the mind-body dichotomy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Ice Owl
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • Tau Ceti
  • The Fifth Science Fiction Megapack  (Science Fiction Megapack, #5)
  • Solis
  • Adventures (The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones, #1)
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Shambling Towards Hiroshima
  • Starborne
  • Pallas
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • A Light In The Dark (Tales from the Deep Dark Book 1)
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • Limits
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • The Big Jump
  • The Misplaced Battleship
  • When the Hero Comes Home
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clario ...more
More about Nancy Kress...