Start by marking “Girl, Stolen (Girl, Stolen #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl, Stolen (Girl, Stolen #1)

Girl, Stolen

(Girl, Stolen #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  17,748 ratings  ·  2,504 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of the car while her stepmom fills a prescription for antibiotics. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, the car is being stolen.

Griffin hadn't meant to kidnap Cheyenne and once he finds out that not only does she have pneumonia, but that she's blind, he really doesn't know what to do. When his dad finds out tha
Published December 1st 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Stolen, please sign up.
Blue If you want to know about the story, I suggest you read the book - it is short. If you are asking for spoilers to help you recall the book (it does…moreIf you want to know about the story, I suggest you read the book - it is short. If you are asking for spoilers to help you recall the book (it does not appear to be your intent) please ask more directly. If you are just excited about the book, you may want to look in at discussion threads.(less)

·  17,748 ratings  ·  2,504 reviews

Morgan F
I read Girl, Stolen because some bastard at my library stole Stolen: A letter to my captor (yes, the irony is not lost on me). I figured Girl, Stolen, a book of similar premise and title, would have to do.

Sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder, blind and sick with pneumonia, is napping in the back seat of her step-mother's Escalade when someone gets in the car and drives away. Griffin, the car thief, just reacted when he saw the keys in the ignition, not noticing the girl in the backseat until it was
Deborah Markus
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A strong, compelling read. Henry's prose is clean and uncluttered -- she has faith in her story and she just plain tells it.

We learn on page 3 that the main character is blind. We also learn that she's being kidnapped in a car-theft gone bad. I was very skeptical when I realized this was the premise. Seriously, do all blind characters have to be gorgeous young women? (I've ranted about that in other reviews.)

But Henry manages, seemingly without trying, to make Cheyenne not "the blind girl," but
Cara
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
From the get go we know what we are going to get. Cheyenne is blind and is accidentally kidnapped by a young man named Griffin. Unbeknowst to him she is in the Escalade, and he is in a world of trouble to say the least. At first he just doesn't have any idea what to do with her, but his dad finds out that she is the daughter of a CEO, and a CEO for Nike at that. Cheyenne knows she has the disadvantage here. She's blind and sick with pneumonia; she is not in top fighting shape. Can she dare hope ...more
Yin Chien 인첸
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As you can read from the synopsis, the protagonist Cheyenne is sick and blind. But her bad luck doesn't end there. When her stepmother, Danielle drives her to a pharmacy to get medicine supplies, she asks her to leave the key in the ignition to keep her warm. Then, when someone enters the car, she realizes from the person's micro-behaviours that he/she is definitely not Danielle. That's when reality hits - her car is stolen, and worse, she's inside it!

This book is different from other books whic
Eva Leger
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-fiction, y-a
The YA genre has not stopped surprising me. Everytime I crack a YA book I have a fear deep down inside that it'll be so childish I'll cringe. While there certainly have been a few like that most are not and this falls in the latter category.
Henry's biggest feat here, in my opinion, is Cheyenne's blindess. Everything that she went through is suspenseful. Add in blindness and it throws it all right through the roof. I kept think, in almost every single situation, how scared I'd be if it was me. A
Jenn, Reader of Things
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy thought-provoking suspense, people who need something to write a book report on.
Recommended to Jenn, Reader of Things by: No one. I'm all about feminism and being independant.

"Sometimes people did this, closed their eyes for a few seconds and imagined it gave them insights into what it was like to be her. Only, at the end, they could still open their eyes and see."

****3 stars****

Girl, Stolen is the story of Cheyenne, a blind 16-year-old who is accidentally kidnapped while her car is being stolen, and Griffin, the teen kidnapper from the wrong side of town.

I've never read a book told from a blind person's perspective, and even though this is written in third-person,
Valerie
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
A book about a blind girl who gets kidnapped. Well that sounds good to me. The girl's name is Cheyenne and her kidnapper is a boy named Griffin. He didn't kidnap her on purpose but still it creates a problem.

The book is in both Cheyenne's point of view as well as Griffin's. When I was reading Cheyenne's point of view I was very aware of it; it felt like I was seeing the way she would picture it in her head. When I was reading Griffin's it was the same.

Cheyenne seems like a real girl. She gets sc
Amy Leigh
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great ya thriller full of suspense and it's scary. I really liked the atmosphere and Cheyenne's character. She fights even though she is blind and deathly ill.

Cheyenne has pneumonia and is sleeping in the car while her mom runs in the store for medicine. Griffin sees a car that looks like a good haul and steals the car. When Griffin realizes Cheyenne is in the car he freaks out. He wasn't planning on kidnapping and asks his dad for help. Griffin's dad had evil intentions when he figur
Sierra
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was actually better than I was expecting.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Hmm. I wasn't sure what I'd be getting when I picked this up to read. A blind girl kidnapped? How would that plot unfold? How would the characters interact? Could the author pull such difficult circumstances off?

Well, in some ways April Henry excelled, but in others? Not so much.

The plot was engaging and constantly moved forward. I think the circumstances were very realistic and believable, and the back-and-forth between Griffin and Cheyenne was quite intriguing.

However, as far as the characters
Julie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book a little disappointed, because everything on the back cover happens, literally, in the first 1-2 pages! But, my disappointment was soon squelched by the next sections of the plot. A blind girl, who also happens to be very sick with pneumonia, is asleep in the backseat when her stepmom's car is stolen. Her abductor wants to set her free, but there are other, darker, forces leading him to do otherwise. Will she be able to form a trusting friendship with him before the u ...more
Maysoon K
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Girl, Stolen by April Henry!
Hmm... What to say about this book?
Let's start off with the base of the book. It's about a girl, she's blind, and she gets kidnapped 'accidently', I guess you could say. Once the kidnappers find out they took a girl with them, she don't know what to do. She's heard too much of their plan, and the girl is the daughter of a very rich man. The boy that kidnapped her by accident ends up, in a way, getting attracted to her. And he helps save her life and all. I won't tell
Karessa A.
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. It was a lot going on all the time. The characters and theme were very well set up and played out through the book. But can't wait to read Count Her Bones next.
Morgan
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I only had it for two days and it was a really easy quick read. April Henry is a great young adult writer and is probably one of my favorites. There hasn't been a book by her that I didn't like.
Girl Stolen is about a blind girl whose car was stolen while she was in it. The book takes you through her perspective and opinions. She makes a friend along the way and manages to find her way out.
I can't wait to read more of her books.
Colleen Houck
I can't imagine what it would feel like to go through what this heroine went through. She's tough and courageous. Love the northwest references and the dog. Also, that ending was excellent!
Angelica
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asdfghjkl
Name of book: Girl, Stolen

Author: April Henry

Pages: 213 pages

Genre: Mystery and Suspense

Reading Level of book: 4.7

Exposition: The novel started when Cheyenne's step mom stepped out of the car to go in the pharmacy store to fill in Cheyenne's prescriptions. Cheyenne was taking a nap in the back of the car. A boy who's in a 'business' with his dad decided to steal the step mom's car. The thing was, he didn't know that Cheyenne was also in the car. It wasn't his intentions to kidnap her, his only i
Katie(babs)
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
A sick sixteen-year-old Cheyenne Wilder is napping in the backseat of her stepmother Danielle’s car. She’s waiting for Danielle to return with her medicine to help her get over her pneumonia, when suddenly someone gets into the driver’s seat and starts the car. Cheyenne knows this isn’t Danielle from the sound of the car door closing, to the smell, and the fast speed of the car Cheyenne quickly comes to the conclusion that she has been carjacked. Cheyenne has no choice to go along for the ride w ...more
Jaime Leigh
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Notes:YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults and YALSA Quick Pick
April Henry is a New York Times Best Seller

Overview (Non Spoilery Section)
This has been sitting on my self for a while and I needed a physical book to read during exams. It was just a middle of the road kidnapping novel, although I very much enjoyed the main character being blind. I also appreciated the amount of research that April Henry did during the development and writing process.

***Spoilers*** and trigger listings
I really enjoy
Tara Chevrestt
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-release, kindle, ya
This is a great book. I am pretty impressed with it. The heroine is Cheyenne. She is sixteen and has been blind for three years. She is suffering pneumonia and laying in wait for her stepmother in the back of an Escalade when a teenage boy jumps in (the keys in the ignition of an Escalade.. too tempting) and drives away, not realizing Cheyenne is in the back seat.

Well, rather than let her go and get his own arse in trouble, he takes her home. Three unfriendly men and a possibly rabid dog await
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars. Wow this book was really good I didn't expect it to enjoy it this much I thought it would just be more the fun read it but it turned out to be great page turner.

The twisting the story were amazing Cheyenne is intelligent and she's very cunning and brave and strong and independent and I loved everything about her.

And I love to hate the bad guys and story they we're brutal and actually bad bad-guys.

A lot of unexpected things happened in this book and I loved every part of it.

It's on
Heather
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
"Girl, Stolen" had an exciting premise, but the book itself was disappointing. It lacked the tension and suspense it should have had. However, I liked Cheyenne's narration. She was a very relatable character, despite being blind, and her actions and reactions during her kidnapping were believable.

Even though I liked Cheyenne, my favourite character was Griffin. He was basically a good guy despite his horrible father and being raised into a life of crime. Even though he unintentionally kidnapped
Pakhi❤️📚
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super good... definitely recommend for people into ‘on the edge’ books 📚
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
In reading Girl, Stolen, I was reminded of two bits of pop culture: Excess Baggage and Wait Until Dark. The first film, a pretty terrible movie starring Alicia Silverstone and Antonio Banderas, tells the story of a poor little rich girl who, in an effort to get daddy's attention, fakes a kidnapping by locking herself in a car's trunk, only to have that car actually stolen. Then she cooks up a romance and a scheme with her accidental captor. Wait Until Dark, quite differently focuses on a blind w ...more
Avery
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
When I first read the back of the this book I thought that it sounded super unique, therefore I was quite excited to read it, thinking it would be amazing. But (isn't there always a but?)... It just wasn't my cup of tea. I think that a lot of other YA readers will enjoy this book, I think that my biggest problem is that I think that currently I am very much loving YA paranormal and anything that isn't within that genre just kinda falls flat for me.

One pro of this book is that the characters are
Toneeshia
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Girl, Stolen is a contemporary realistic fictional book intended for advanced aged children. It has won the American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults, American Library Association Quick Picks for Young Award, Maryland Black- Eyed Susan award Maser List, and others. Girl, Stolen is about a car thief named Griffin accidentally kidnapping blind 16- year old Cheyenne while she napped in her stepmother's Escalade. Griffin takes her to his home and soon before she is to be released by G ...more
Steph
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2010
I received this book for free as a review copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed Girl, Stolen and read the bulk of it in one sitting. What initially drew me to the book was the cover art. I really like the symbolism of the little girl covering her eyes, most of us do it when afraid, but for the heroine of the story it is something she must live with every day as a blind person. Cheyenne does find herself in a terrifying s
Paula  Phillips
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Life for sixteen-year old Cheyenne Wilder is about to get a tad bit scary and worse for her , as one day when her and her stepmum are at the chemist , their car is stolen though what happens next is that only one of them got out of the car that day. Cheyenne sick with pneumonia is curled up in the backseat and now she has been kidnapped. As the story goes on we see Cheyenne uprooted and kidnapped and left in the middle of nowhere unsure of what is going to happen next. All would be well, except ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
GRADE: B-

Resting in the back of her stepmother Danielle's car, Cheyenne is carjacked from outside a pharmacy. Griffin never meant to kidnap her, he wouldn't have stolen the car if he new Cheyenne, sick from pneumonia and blind from an accident three years prior, huddles under a blanket. When his father Roy learns Cheyenne is wealthy, the accidental kidnapping becomes a ransom situation and all bets are off.

I read GIRL, STOLEN in one sitting. April Henry held my interest with this even-p
Anna Motteler
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Anna by: Eva (:
(ARC sent to me by publisher!)

Imagine yourself being blind. Horrible enough, right? But then imagine yourself being BLIND and then being KIDNAPPED one day. How horrible is that? Well, in this book, Cheyenne Wilder has that problem and boy, is she strong. I fell in love with her instantly and I could literally not put this book down. I love, love, love it!

Her kidnapper didn't even mean to kidnap her. Weird, right? Well, all he wanted to do was take her step-moms car, but she was laying in the bac
Haley Hill
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-2018
I loved this book. I felt for the main character Cheyenne and can't imagine the terror she went through. The beginning pf the book is action packed and the middle calms down right before twists, turns, and thrilling moments. This was a quick read! If you like suspense, you'll love this.
Appropriate age??? 13 146 Mar 22, 2019 09:26AM
Kidnapping 1 1 Oct 10, 2018 11:52AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Read in 2000s, YA: Thief accidentally kidnaps blind girl in effort to steal her car. [s] 5 430 Jun 24, 2018 06:12PM

• The Animal
  • Apartment 255
  • Blank Confession
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Bruiser
I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.

If you've read one of my books, I would love to hear from you. Hearing from readers makes me eager to keep writing.

When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an

Girl, Stolen (2 books)
  • Count All Her Bones (Girl, Stolen, #2)
“Sometimes people did this, closed their eyes for a few seconds and imagined it gave them insights into what it was like to be her. Only, at the end, they could still open their eyes and see.” 27 likes
“Who's stupid now, Jimbo?!” 18 likes