Start by marking “The Fairy Mythology: Illustrative of the Romance and Superstition of Various Countries” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  628 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We be ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy Mythology

NaomiRuth
Finally finished it! Enjoyed it so much. A great collection of folklore from all over the world.

I will caution: not a book to read if you're looking for something light. I was sometimes frustrated by the lack of English in certain sections. Almost all of the Spain section I couldn't read because so much of the text was in Spanish. There was a lot of German and Latin going on as well. Although I could read some of the Latin and figure out part of the French... I was completely lost in the Spanish
Louise
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folklore buffs. followers of global fairy traditions
I'm re-reading this for the countless time, after purchasing the very reasonably priced hard cover from Amazon.

If you enjoy faerie folklore, this is a must have. Keightley's tome was first titled "The Fairy Mythology," but when he revised and updated this 1880 originally published book, the title was later changed to "The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves, and Other Little People".

The book looks at fairy traditions from across the globe: Scandinavia, the British Isles, Germany, with folklor
Joel LeBlanc
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Discovered this book last year in a dusty little bookshop in Oamaru, New Zealand, and really couldn't live without it now. One of the most researched and trustworthy sources of information on global folklore.
Khordofon
Pode confiar que esse aqui é bem completo, mesmo que foque mais no Norte da Europa - tem capítulos sobre Ásia, África e Sul/Leste da Europa. Só não tem mesmo sobre Oceania e América, mas ele foi originalmente publicado em 1880, então segue o jogo.
Ea Solinas
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a credit to Thomas Keightley's "World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves & Other Little People" that it's still a relevant mythologic source today, over a hundred years after it was first published. The stories, explanations and legends are still as informative as they were in 1880, although they are rather restricted.

Okay, "World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People" sounds like a cutesy title for a Brian Froud-illustrated book. And it's a rather lightweight title for a
John Kruse
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book 30 years ago in a now disappeared 2nd hand book shop in Guildford Surrey. I came across it in the 1880 edition, 'Fairy mythology', which was showing its age even then. Three decades on and the covers are falling off and it's in a sad way. Nevertheless, I still go to it as a vital source of reference on fairy lore around the world. It's a global encyclopaedia from which I have regularly stolen for my own fairy stories. Well worth finding a copy, in whatever version!
Markham Anderson
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, fantasy
An historic and philological treatment of fairy mythology. Globally far-reaching but with greatest focus, perhaps, on Britain.

It demands more of the reader than most texts assembled in the following (20th) century yet manages to interest and entertain.
Lise
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read large selections of this as part of ongoing research for *cough* fanfiction. Learned a lot in the process, too. I didn't realize how much Shakespeare fairy mythology was taken from Spenser, who in turn took it from Teutonic legends of the Erl-King, or the French tale of Huon de Bordeaux.
Catherine
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first true book on faeries, checked out from the library at age 8. Definitely took me a few reads to understand a lot of it.
Louis Bouchard
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book on the subject, that I've read, that I thought was any good.
It's a good, and fairly lengthy, survey of fairies and fairy tales from around the world.
Kalayna Price
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research, folklore
A must read for those interested in folklore.
Dennis Slater
Dec 18, 2011
Into the Forest: Celts and Cymry 21 31 Oct 24, 2016 06:15AM
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods  Goddesses
  • A Field Guide to Irish Fairies
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • Enchantment of the Faerie Realm: Communicate with Nature Spirits & Elementals