Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life” as Want to Read:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  915 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
In Don't Sweat The Small Stuff with Your Family, we see how not to let small annoyances in our home lives get us down. From defusing kids who are whining or fighting, to working out issues with a spouse, to reducing the hassles over household chores, Richard Carlson shows us ways to make our relationships at home - the place where it counts most - more peaceful and loving.
Published April 1st 1998 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family

Lara Mckee
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was okay- nothing earth-shattering. I tried to read one tip each night before bed and then try to incorporate the tip during my day the next day. There were a few ideas I liked: Develop Your Own Reset Button; Stop Exchanging Horror Stories; Think Of Something You Did Right Today; Surrender To The Fact That There's Always Something To Do; and Become Less Easily Bothered. The author was asked to describe the average person in a few words and he chose "easily bothered". I thought that was ...more
Jonathan-David Jackson
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple advice for life in a family. Out of the 100 things there probably weren't more than 10 that I don't already know of and try to do, but it's good to be reminded. Also, since I already know of/do most of them, it was also good to feel pleased with myself.

A few of the things seemed like filler to me, since the author wanted a book of 100 things. Probably would have been better to go with 90 and leave out a few that are similar to others.

For anybody who frequently feels stressed about family
Cindy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A couple of my favorites:

#14 Encourage boredom in your children

#47 When someone asks you how you are, don't emphasize how busy you are

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family is a good book, but it should probably be read slowly. I read it in one sitting and finished it a little overwhelmed.

Basically, love your kids, take care of yourself and keep your life simple.
Kassie Miller
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish everyone (including myself!) could read, remember, and internalize everything in this book, every single day. SO many great things to think about. Simple ways to improve our lives and our relationships. Definitely one I want to re-read often, and try to constantly implement in my life!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: guide, non-fiction
Can anything be more important than our families?
Kefaya Al Mubarak
١٠٠ نصيحة رائعةٌ .. هي فحوى كتاب #لا_تهتم_بصغائر_الأمور_مع أسرتك لمؤلفه #ريتشارد_كارلسون..
أسلوب مميز.. وراقٍ.. وعملي.. هو خلاصة تجربة المؤلف مع عائلته المكونة من زوجة مساندة ومتفهمة وابنتين مشاكستين.. تجربة حياة واقعية مليئة بالمغامرة والمتعة والتعلم من الأخطاء..
وجدته كتابًا جديرًا بالقراءة لكل الآباء والأمهات..

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

تحياتي
كفاية
١٩ اغسطس ٢٠١٧

اهم الاقتباسات:

*عندما كان يمر بي وقت صعبٌ مع طفلتي كان المخرج دائمًا أن يعبر كل منا للآخر عن حبه، وهكذا تستمر الحياة*

*إن المشاعر لا يمكن تأجيلها، حيث إن له
Lindy
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that most of the content seems obvious, yet none of us do what Carlson suggests. There are 100 chapters, with each chapter briefly explaining a principle to keep life stress-free at home. It's a great book, however, I think I would be able to apply it more if I read one chapter a week and worked on that principle.
Bill Donhiser
Rather simplistic but some very important points. A good book to read when day to dat stuff is keeping you from the big picture. The big word to take away is responsibility.
Lorna
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I decided to reread this book as I'm going to be moving closer to my family. It's chuck full of wise advice.
Lauren
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff has 100 key points of advice for living a better life with your family. Each of these points is explained in detail throughout the book. There is a lot of great advice in this book that I have been able to apply to my life. Some of the techniques have made me a more understanding person and a better wife. Though I find the book useful, some of the explanations can be repetitive and boring. It took me time to finish the book, because there is so much information and so ...more
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Stop Whining, Start Living
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • Speed Cleaning
  • The Book of Calamities: Five Questions About Suffering and Its Meaning
  • Joy of Reading
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother and Son Soul: Stories to Celebrate the Lifelong Bond (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better: Six Practical Principles That Empower Others to Solve Their Own Problems While Enriching Your Relationships
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Living a Covenant Marriage
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • The Best International Recipe: A Home Cook's Guide To The Best Recipes In The World (Best Recipe Classics) (A Best Recipe Classic)
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds