Start by marking “Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)

Alma the Younger

(Book of Mormon #3)

From the ancient Book of Mosiah comes the story of two men ... One, a leader of nations. The other, his son, who's intent on destroying everything his father has spent a lifetime building. As Alma the Younger rises in power and influence, leading hearts and minds into rebellion, his father becomes desperate. When a once peaceful civilization begins to crumble from within, ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Alma the Younger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alma the Younger

Maria Zannini
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I asked to read Alma The Younger even though I am not Mormon, nor am I familiar with their teachings. I simply knew that I enjoyed Heather Moore's stories in the past, and wanted to review it from a 'secular' point of view.

You have to understand also that I read everything with a deep level of disbelief. I demand the author prove to me that s/he can tell a story and make me live it with them.

It came as a true delight that Heather Moore didn't whitewash anything. The main character, Alma the youn
Michael Young
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Though this is the third book in Moore's series of historical fiction based on the events of the Book of Mormon and the first one that I've picked up. (It is nice that you can read the books in any order)

I have read The Book of Mormon many times and I think sometimes, it is easy to get into a rut where you start to forget that they were real people will real lives, which were much more complex than was recorded in the record that we have. The author does a wonderful job of bringing these well-k
Sheila
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alma the Younger is another powerful book about Book Of Mormon Prophets and their people. The writing is so good that I just marvel at Heather's storytelling skills. There are times, I forget about the main story to re-read a line or two again. I want to study Heather's writing skills before jumping back into the story.

The story of Alma the Younger, was brought to life for me in ways I have never imagined before. The enormity of his evil doing and rebelliousness shook me. I also felt the same w
Mindy
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another beautifully written historical fiction book from Author H.B. Moore.
Michael Knudsen
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
It’s not often that I get hooked by LDS fiction to the point that I end up reading as I’m walking down the hall from one room to another, but I came across one of those books this past week.

H.B. Moore is rapidly doing for Book of Mormon-based fiction what Gerald N. Lund did for Church History with his Work and the Glory series. Her Out of Jerusalem quartet followed by this new series of prophet-protagonists including Abinadi, Alma, and now Alma the Younger may not be selling as well as Lund’s bo
G.G. Vandagriff
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Review: Alma the Younger
By H.B. Moore

I simply cannot praise this book enough. H.B. Moore has done the nearly impossible: she has created a protagonist who is also the antagonist, and made us love and care about him. She has demonstrated with consummate skill how a man, raised in righteousness, can be drawn into wickedness by the belief that he knows a better way of doing things than his leaders. In my mind, this book is what the Victorians called "An Awful Warning" to anyone who thinks they have
Emily
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
H.B. Moore has created another detailed scriptural retelling of the life of Alma the Younger. Using historical research based on Mayan cultural traditions she makes her characters setting and daily life seem very relatable and life like. I think she does a really good job at this and I enjoy the little details about food, hunting, and other traditions that give her stories a rich background. Alma’s bad decisions are the main basis for the plot and Moore has obviously put a lot of thought into th ...more
Becki
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm always a bit hesitant to read fiction based on scriptures due to the sacred nature of the context but I have always found Heather Moore's books to be very respectful and authentic, staying close to the actual scripture story.
In this story, the third in an incredible series of Book of Mormon prophets, we gain a greater insight into the reasons Alma the Younger may have rebelled against his religious upbringing. the questions he struggles with are the same people have had through out the ages
June
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was fun to read a historical fiction based upon a scriptural character. I would enjoy reading other books by this author. It's a good clean novel, teaching good principles. It brings to life the events that one studies in the scriptures.
Rebecca Irvine
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Heather Moore's newest volume in her fictionalized Book of Mormon series is Alma the Younger. I read this a few weeks back and was really impressed with the boldness of the plot line. It is one of Moore's more creative plots (if not the most creative)--but maybe this is due to the lack of detail the scriptures contain regarding Alma's life before his repentance. Still, I really admire Moore's writing abilities; her characters are strong and well-rounded (I both liked and disliked Alma for a vari ...more
Andrea
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
The story of Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah is one of the more popular scripture stories in our church. It is a very powerful story of rebellion, repentance and conversion.

"Alma the Younger" fictionalizes the Book of Mormon character of the same name. His father is the high priest in Zarahemla. Alma feels somewhat trapped. He's been a scribe in the temple, and his path seems to have been chosen for him. Little by little Alma rebels and befriends "unbelievers". His best friends are the f
07joshw
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Josh Ward
Period 7
Do you like adventure and exciting books. First when I starting reading this book, my only intention was to just read a book for my schooling but I really got into it.
Alma the younger is a ferules man scared of nothing. He lives in a family that The Church is a BIG deal. Alma does not like that he is always bossed around told what to do and what not to do. At this age I guessed Alma the younger is in his young 20’s. He just gets so sick of it and one early morning is gone.
Alm
Nikki Wilson
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ok, this story really made me think about the scriptures and really think about my impressions of Alma the Younger. At first I wasn't really buying the author's view of him until about halfway through when I finally realized that she was making the character more believable. She showed the rationalizations that led Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah to become the instigators against the church. When telling the conversion story, she used Alma's own words as he had told his son, it was a rea ...more
Krista Jensen
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From the first page of H.B. Moore's Alma the Younger I was drawn in, wanting to find out more, wanting to know these characters and where their paths led. Moore brings the character of Alma the Younger to life in answer to the question, "How could the son of a revered high priest go so bad and lead so many astray?" Her take formed an intriguing answer. I both loved Alma and cringed at him and kept turning pages, putting myself in Moore's Zarahemla, asking myself, "Where would I be?". Moore keeps ...more
Danyelle Ferguson
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Learning more about Alma the Younger and the type of man he could have been was fascinating. If this book is on your to-read list, I highly encourage you to read the Preface. In this section, H.B. Moore talks about all of the questions she asked to figure out who Alma the Younger was as a man, what type of person and characteristics he possibly had. When she talked about Alma being very intelligent and well educated, but not able to develop faith in something he couldn't see - it was like there ...more
Lexie
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose my favorite out of H.B. Moore's Book of Mormon series, Alma the Younger would probably be it. Added to the fact that Alma the Younger is such an amazing story to begin with, H.B. Moore delves even deeper into the plot and adds a relatable element to it.

The tale of a wayward child and his journey home is something that many parents can sympathize with. Alma may have been a prophet of God but he was also a frustrated father who worried constantly about his son.

Alma the Younger i
Taffy
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
Another well-written Book of Mormon story from author Heather Moore.
Alma the Younger has been raised in the Church of which his father, Alma the Elder, is high priest. But along the path of life, Alma the Younger chooses to exercise his free agency and rebel against his father and the church.
He justifies his anger at his father by 'preaching' to saints that the church is wrong and leading them astray. He doesn't realize the pain he is causing, especially to his parents.
He goes too far in leading
Melanie
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Someone said in a review that the descriptions of Alma the Younger's wicked period seemed too much to justify his actions, as if we as readers were somehow going to agree with him or root him on in the way he was behaving. I disagree. I thought it was great how believable it was, and how it could possibly make sense to *him* that what he was doing was right. I think it's entirely plausible for certain church members to behave wrongly and for certain unbelievers to suddenly determine that the chu ...more
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Like other books I've read by Heather Moore, I thought this was exceptionally well done. She sticks to the facts, but gives us a peek at details we don't get in the scriptures. This helped me ponder what Alma the Younger's life might really have been like. It shows how Satan can deceive even the most elect. I would have liked to have seen more of the book deal with his conversion and feelings after the angel appeared to him. I was so looking forward to that part. I just recently learned that Moo ...more
Jenn
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've always loved Moore's books. Taking three and a half verses from the Book of Mormon (Mosiah 27:8-11) and turning it into 250 or some odd pages of a book has got to be a serious challenge, and all the harder because not everyone is going to be happy with how you portray one of their favorite prophets. :o)

I really enjoyed seeing how Moore developed Alma's character. She didn't make him evil - she made him rebellious, but she gave him motivation. I love how Moore's books always make the charact
Rachelle
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this series of books. Heather definitely makes the Book of Mormon come to life. Her characters have such depth and it gives such insight into the motivations for their lifestyle. I’ve always loved the story of Alma the Younger and now I feel like I understand it even better because I got to go back in time and “see” him in action. The details of the surroundings attest to the in-depth studying Moore does for each of her novels. You won’t want to miss any of these captivating stories.
Alex
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-gull
i was really hoping this book would focus more on the last 20-30 pages or so. the angel kickin' trash and the sons of mosiah going to preach the gospel to the lamanites; that's what i was expecting this book to focus on. not so much alma the younger leading himself and others astray. but i guess you can't ignore half of a story just because you like the other half more. maybe heather moore is saving that for her next book?!
Darci
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this one 4 but I just can't. I loved Abinadi and Alma. This one seemed just a little off to me. I think I was dissappointed that so much of the story was dedicated to Alma the Younger's character development as the antagonist and then at the very end he has his epiphony, all is well and the book was over. I wanted more detail in the after the angel period rather the such a quick tidy end. It seemed a little rushed at the end ...I just wanted more!
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mormon-authors
When I started listening to Moore's books, I honestly was expecting the same reaction that I had to Lund's books. But I really like it. She uses the scriptural account as the basis of a well-fleshed out storyline. I also appreciated that the arguments Alma the Younger used which eventually led him on a path of apostasy are really timeless. I suspect if I would have read the books, there might have been some interesting commentary which aren't available in the audio portion.
Kisty
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I liked this book also...But I gave it 3 stars because Alma the younger has a such a sad and frustrating story, which is not as enjoyable to read about! HB Moore portraited Alma the Younger very well! I can't wait for her next book to come out!!! Hopefully it will be about Captain Moroni!!! That would be awesome!
Nichole
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At first I was skeptical about this book. As I read I tried to not compare it to scripture. I know it is a historical fiction and I loved how they portrayed Alma the Younger's life. I love all the characters and the story that was created. Heather Moore knows how to weave scripture and inspiring words together to create a meaningful story of a Persons life. I can't wait to read her other stories.
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Heather Moore is my favorite new author in the LDS Historical Fiction genre. I've met her twice, gotten her critique on my own writing attempts and she's a wonderful person. I highly recommend ALL of her books including this one!
Em7ar7
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
gives you an idea of what might have brought Alma to the point in his life where he was going around and destroying the church, and what his father and and Mosiah where going through as they watched their sons move further and further into apostasy. a love story is thrown in their too.
LuAnn
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Another winner in the LDS prophets series. I love the way Moore's books bring more clarity the stories of the Book of Mormon, helping me keep everyone straight! And the little romance doesn't hurt for keeping my attention, either.
Ruby
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Like Heather's other LDS titles, this one's a winner so far. I finished it last week and would recommend it to anyone who likes LDS Historical Fiction. Moore makes you feel as though you are really back in Book of Mormon times.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Women of the Book of Mormon
  • Smokescreen (Saint Squad, #5)
  • Altered State
  • Dark Sky at Dawn
  • Master
  • Mary & Joseph
  • Abish: Daughter of God
  • In the Company of Angels
  • The Forgotten Warrior
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Servant to a King
  • A Time To Die (Shandra Covington, #3)
  • The Believer
  • Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1)
Heather B. Moore is a USA Today bestselling author of more than a dozen historical novels and thrillers, written under pen name H.B. Moore. She writes women's fiction, romance and inspirational non-fiction under Heather B. Moore. This can all be confusing, so her kids just call her Mom. Heather attended Cairo American College in Egypt, the Anglican School of Jerusalem in Israel, and earned a Bache ...more

Book of Mormon (4 books)
  • Abinadi (Book of Mormon, #1)
  • Alma (Book of Mormon #2)
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)