Start by marking “The Dragon and the Turtle (The Dragon and the Turtle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon and the Turtle (The Dragon and the Turtle, #1)

The Dragon and the Turtle

(The Dragon and the Turtle #1)

Friends come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. Sometimes they’re even dragons.

Roger loves adventure. Today he’s playing pirate, sailing the high seas, dancing to the hornpipe, and catching fish. But the wind’s blown him off course and he’s . . . well . . . lost.

When Padraig, a kitten-sized, bug-eating dragon, encounters the lost turtle, he offers to help Roger find his
Published August 10th 2010 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Turtle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Turtle

Barbara
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on first-reads giveaway. I just got this today in the mail and my grandson and I read it right away. It's a wonderfully illustated colorful book. We both enjoyed it. My grandson is 8 yrs old and the words in this book are easy enough for him to read, or if children are younger a book that will keep the younger lads interested and excited to be read to. I could see this book becoming one of your child's favorite go to books.

It's about a turtle who can't find his way back home and
Michelle
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a cute children's book. I enjoyed the friendship theme and how the dragon, Padraig, stuck with the turtle, Roger, and continued to help him until he found his way back home. I can see children enjoying this book because of the adventure and sensory input like the crunchy bugs Padraig was eating. The facial expressions the dragon makes are just precious. The fact that the turtle is lost will touch heartstrings, and his friend's effort to help him is quite touching. Because the way the tur ...more
Luann
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Roger the turtle was playing pirates and now he can't find his way back home. His new friend, Padraig the dragon, agrees help him.

What a sweet book! I particularly love the illustrations. They are cute without being overly cutesy. The message of friendship is based on a verse from Proverbs: "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." I thought the story was slightly predictable and repetitive, but in a good way. Very often children WANT and LOVE predictable and repetitiv
Chris
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this as a gooreads first reads.

This was a great story that my young grandchildren enjoyed very much. The best thing about this book is it isn't just another kids book about a puppy or a kitten. It has the somewhat odd pairing of a turtle and a dragon, a combination that is quite imaginative. I would like to see some more books come of this pairing.
Jamie
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautiful children's book! Great message about the importance of friendships and putting others first. Love the fact that a turtle is one of the main characters. Great illustrations. Great story. Your kids will like it! Shoot, you'll like it!
Cheryl-Lynn
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A goodreads first reads win. I can't wait to read this and neither can my little boys!

A fun story about friendship. My 5 year old laughed out loud several times and asked me at the end if we could keep the book. Great pictures too.
Ana Katrina Vargas
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
An absolutely adorable children's book about helping others and persevering. I found it so cute and my six year old niece loved it!
Marsha Nelson
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book - all the prerequisites for children. Cute characters, repetitive missions, and a quiet moral. The verse and pictures completed the package. Recommended.
Amanda
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
What a cute little book about a newly developed friendship of this dragon and turtle. Any child would get excited to see if they make it home in the end.
Connie
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
1. Some people have mentioned that the name Padraig is unfamiliar to them. This is a Gaelic name, related to Patrick (as you might have guessed!) and it's one that in English is said pretty much the way it's written. Not all Gaelic names and words are like that, so you're lucky. Google tells me that many people drop the d in it, or consider it correct to say it without the d - however, just as many don't. So Paw-raig or Paw-drig should be fine.

2. The story is so-so. A dragon meets a lost turtle,
Erin
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Dragon and the Turtle written by authors Donita K. Pail and Evangeline Denmark & illustrated by Vincent Nguyen is a sweet tale. In this story, we meet a dragon and turtle that develop a great friendship. The Dragon meets the turtle while in search for a snack for himself but when he sees that turtle is lost, he puts his own needs behind him and helps his new friend. An excellent concept in teaching kids on how we should help each other and be selfless.

Throughout the story the dragon and
TWJ Magazine
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-book

Jana Horne
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. My 3 year old very much enjoyed the "once-upon-a-time an animal met another animal who was lost and needed help" plot. Ironically, this is how many of our bedtime stories go. It's a great book for girls or boys and has a nice "5 senses" theme throughout. One word of warning though, the last page (not part of the actual story text) quotes a bible verse - just FYI in case you are not into that kind of thing.
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a cute little story. The theme is friendship and persistence. I particularly enjoyed the illustrations. I did not realize until the end that it was actually based on some Biblical passages, which the authors include for reference. Slightly older children will probably enjoy this more than a very young audience, as the story is a little longer and complex than a basic picture book. However, there is a lovely cookie recipe at the end that all ages can enjoy!
Angie Quantrell
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Elizabeth
Aug 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I won this book from the first reads program and tried several times to read it with my 3 year old but with no success. Its a very nice book, and I love the characters, but its a little too long for the younger children. Id recommend it for kids maybe around age 4 1/2 or 5.
Rachel Feeck
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dragons. Turtles. And cute ones at that. What more could you want?
Kory
May 06, 2011
Amy Murray
Jul 20, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
I am an author of Christian Fantasy. My first 7 books were Christian Romance, but I came over to the Dark Side when I heard there were cookies.

The Dragon and the Turtle (2 books)
  • The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari (The Dragon and the Turtle, #2)