Start by marking “The Chocolate Touch” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Touch

The Chocolate Touch (John Midas)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  10,970 Ratings  ·  770 Reviews
A boy acquires a magical gift that turns everything his lips touch into chocolate.
Published December 29th 1995 by Turtleback Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Touch, please sign up.

Isabel its about a boy name john who loves to eat chocolate and got sick
Isabel it is a good book and intresting

Heidi
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book partly because I read it as a child and partly because I love the lessons that it teaches children, such as:
1. There definitely can be TOO much of a good thing (such as Christmas every day, chocolate all the time, etc.)
2. Nutrition - our body needs healthy foods to function healthily.
3. Moderation in all things.
4. It teaches these ideas in a fun, silly way that kids love.
Robert
I read this yearly with my students and have done so throughout my career. It's a book that works well at the beginning of the year or with groups who may not be up to level later in the year.

John Midas likes chocolate. He finds a coin. On one side is a picture of a fat boy, on the other his initials. He finds that he can purchase a box of chocolates with this coin. Soon he has his own special Midas touch.

I find that I need to teach the students the story of King Midas prior to reading this book
Annastone
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had one lesson, not to be greedy. The book stayed on topic so it wasn't very confusing. Some books I read didn't have that "trait" in them. It`s a great book for children. ...more
Medford Children's Library
John Midas loves chocolate more than anything in the world, including his friends and family. His greed is punished when he is given the chocolate touch. Everything John puts near his mouth turns to chocolate! It sounds great at first because everything from toothpaste to his pencil turns into delicious chocolate but it becomes disasterous. A very funny read for third grade and up. Kids will be interested to learn more about an ancient Greek myth about King Midas who was given the golden touch.

F
Amy
Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive! And did you notice all of those "repetitives?" Well, add a couple more! The early parts of The Chocolate Touch started out entertainingly, but the middle was so much of the same thing over and over again, it became a real challenge to get through it! Finally, the story picked up some tension and suspense in the second to last chapter, but then the ending just *dropped*!

When I finished reading the book, my niece looked at me and exclaimed, "What?! THAT'S IT?!?
Kirby star rod
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was a good book but I would not want to be in the same situation he is in. But chocolate is one of my favorite things. So I would definitely read this book
Blair Sims
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great! I loved it so much 4 star rating :]
Susan ...so many books and so little time
I read this book with my students...it is great and my 3rd-grade students loved every word. I gave them a test over it...they all passed and I rewarded them with m&ms...yay!!!

Well...I read this book again...but to my 2nd-grade students. They LOVED it!!! And totally groaned when the story ended...one student even said...that's it...I want more!!! I love hearing that!!!
Brooke (Books with Brooke)
One of my favorites as a child.
Lord
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. I liked ''The Chocolate Touch'' for multiple reasons. For example, The Chocolate Touch was a quick and short book with an interesting plot. I also liked this book because it teaching a lot of life lessons. I say this because this book only has 128 pages and has an interesting plot which is about a greedy boy who all he eats is chocolate page 24. I also say this because this book has taught me to be considerate in life.

2. Someone who would like this book is someone who likes a book that actual
Amelia
Blah. I bought this for one of my nephews who is an absolute chocolate fiend. He loves it more than just about anything. It's his little sister's birthday soon and I thought this would be something fun to give him so he doesn't have to sit there watching her unwrap parcels with nothing of his own.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a rather predictable tale based on the story of King Midas in which a boy named John learns that too much of a nice thing isn't nice at all. Possibly a good book for a
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
Oct 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fans of kids lit.
I just came across this book again while working @ B&N (I'm in the Kid's Dept.). I remember reading it when I was younger, probably somewhere between third and fifth grade, and I found it both fun and slightly disturbing. Not that horrified disturbing, but that uncomfortable disturbing. Just like the Midas Touch, everything this kid eats turns into chocolate after eating a special candy from a store. Its crazy, but he thinks its cool until he turns his parents into chocolate statues. I remem ...more
Noah
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The chocolate touch is a great book. It teaches you not to be greedy. Because when a boy finds a magic coin with his initials on it he decides to start a coin collection. But when he walks past a chocolate store. CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE. The boy loves chocolate. He walks into the store and buys candy completely forgetting about his coin collection. When he opens the gigantic box he finds only one chocolate. But when he eats it it's the best chocolate he has ever eaten. The next morning h ...more
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
Published in 1952, this book has a timeless element that still speaks to children today. It's based on the myth of King Midas and the plot follows the main points of that legend. We are holding our inaugural meeting of a children's book club this evening. A few members of my book club have similarly aged kids, so we are giving it a try. This is the book we are discussing (along with themed crafts, snacks, and games).
Lisa Vegan
This is a fun story that’s a variation on the King Midas myth, but involves the dilemma of a young boy afflicted with “chocolatitis.”

It’s a perfect book for chocolate lovers and I am a huge chocolate fan, but chocolate gloves? Yuck!

This is a good early reader and read aloud book, and has a moral lesson about not being selfish or greedy.

I think I missed this when I was young even though it’s from my era; it’s now a bit dated but still very enjoyable.
Joey Oborne
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good and funny book john the main character ate a chocolate and now what ever he eats is chocolate!!!!
Alanna
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute story!
Megan
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chocolate-touch

The Chocolate Touch is about a boy named John who loves chocolate so much that he would eat it any time a day , but there is also a lesson to learn
Rhonda
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it with my 5th graders-cute, easy read.
Nancy Kotkin
Adaptation of King Midas, featuring a boy who is obsessed with chocolate to the point that he won't eat the meals his mother cooks for him. While this is clearly a book with a strong moral lesson, the story is interesting and John is a sympathetic character. First published in 1952, this children's chapter book holds up relatively well over time, though the school scenes are unrealistic by modern standards.
Lee Rose
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don’t you just love chocolate? But what could happen if you get too much of it? This story is a true classic, loosely based on the classic tale, King Midas’ Golden Touch. Instead of gold, however, whatever our young John Midas touches turns to chocolate. At first he is thrilled that everything tastes like chocolate, but soon he realizes how terrible this becomes.

In my English class in South Korea, my students enjoyed reading something that reminded them of another tale; the tale of King Midas an
Marie F
Read aloud to my 5yo boy (the 5yo girl listened some, but it didn't hold her interest). It is a silly story that will likely appeal to little ones, but is not "laugh-out-loud hilarious" by any stretch of the imagination... Even though my son was amused plenty and insisted it was quite funny there was zero laughter while he listened (only smirks and partially amused sighs). He was already familiar with the story of King Midas, so he paid attention to more details than I would have expected and ha ...more
Candie Paulsen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liz
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wee-lads
I'd give this 3.5 stars. Had it had more pictures, my children would have enjoyed it more. I know that is a small thing to be picky about, but it was one of our summer read aloud books and it just didn't really suit them that there was only one picture per chapter (we read two a day). Perhaps newer publications of the book have more pictures? The photos do look like originals, so I'd guess not.

Anyway, as for the story ... it is well written and the plot line is fun to follow. The closing chapte
Julie Decker
This modern-and-kid-ified version of the Midas Touch has little John Midas eating a magical chocolate and suddenly being unable to stop turning everything he touches with his mouth into chocolate. After eating the magical chocolate, he'll be unable to eat or drink anything but chocolate unless he finds the antidote. The book isn't particularly subtle about its message--yes, John, you've overdone it on indulging on your favorite food and now you're going to be unable to eat anything else or kiss ...more
Nicole
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion,I think the book,The Choclate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling,is an awesome book because it gives you a moral throughout the book.The book is about a boy named John who loves chocolate.He loves chocolate so much,that everything he touches turns to chocolate even humans!I love the way the author expresses himself by writing how the main charater feels.If I were John I wouldn't had eaten to much chocolate because it would have ruined my appetite.I recommend this book to anyone because ...more
MrLion626
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salma
One of my favourite mythologies of all time has been the midas touch!And you could imagine my surprise when I finally found that someone has actually adopted it made it into another story altogether! It was so amazing I read it all in one sitting and I just couldn't put it down!I read it as a kid though and I don't remember the names of the characters but I do remember the story was amazing,I just want to read it over and over again!
Shay
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re read for me. I read it as a child. It is one of the many books I have told my kids they should read. I am also doing a challenge, and one of the things is read a book from your childhood. When my son brought this home from school(after I told them about it) I thought perfect. I will read it to him. He enjoyed it. At first he thought chocolate toothpaste would be great but he quickly decided he would rather not have all food/drink taste like chocolate.
Keara Brown
I think "The Chocolate Touch" is a babyish book for me and I would suggest it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders. This book is about a boy named John Midas who loves chocolate and goes to a store one day and secretly buys a box of chocolate. When he eats the chocolate whatever else he eats or drinks tastes like chocolate even his pencil. Overall I would not recommend this to my friends but I would recommend this book to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders.
This is a funny........ 6 37 Aug 20, 2014 06:13PM
Fantasy 1 7 Dec 01, 2012 10:14AM
  • Chocolate Fever
  • Toys Go Out
  • The Enormous Egg
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • The Best School Year Ever (The Herdmans #2)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Littles Go Exploring
  • No Flying in the House
  • Gooseberry Park
  • Lady Lollipop
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Stuart's Cape
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
Patrick Skene Catling is a British children's book author and book reviewer best known for writing The Chocolate Touch in 1952.

Catling was born and schooled in London and was educated there and at Oberlin College in the United States. Catling served in the Royal Canadian Air Force as a navigator and as a journalist at The Baltimore Sun and The Manchester Guardian.

He has traveled extensively. His p
More about Patrick Skene Catling...

John Midas (5 books)