Start by marking “The Last Godfather” as Want to Read:
The Last Godfather

The Last Godfather

DeStefano puts forth exclusive revelations about the last of the old-world mob bosses and the ultimate betrayal that brought down Joseph Massino, mob boss of the Bonanno crime family for more than 20 years.
Published September 1st 2006 by Citadel (first published September 30th 2005)

Hugo
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mafia enthusiasts
Shelves: read-true-crime
quite in depth account of Massino's criminal career including his trials and eventual collaboration with the government.
Cathy Dennis
Journalist writing about the mob.
Heather Dickey
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read, especially the accounts of the trials in 03, 04 and 05. But the writer tended to really give the impression he was part of this story, one of the wiseguys.. got carried away with his emotions a bit in the writing. Found myself rolling my eyes a couple times but otherwise, made for a very interesting read.
Joe
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read, long but interesting all the way through. I wasn't disappointed at all. The author puts down a great timeline of Massino's life. Massino turned and started talking to the FBI to save himself from the death penalty after being arrested. I recommend this book to read if you like mobsters of the good ol' days.
Max Burgel
Lots of details. When reading mob-books it's fun to read the "stories" and this had some of that but it was split with a lot of time stamped details that zoned me out a little, although; better to have them than not I suppose.
Neil
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Very detailed book and I can see where the writers of The Sopranos got their ideas from. I expected more out of the book as it was about the last Mafia boss but it was written from accounts from other people and not from the point of view of the subject of the book. Not for me.
Sbook
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
gave up after first chapter. way too many names and small facts (meetings, names) that are impossible to know and/or to check.
Dorothy Pierce
not for me...
TJ Shelby
It was mafia, so I enjoyed it but it read slower than a history book at times.
Jonno
Another interesting read on the lives of the New York Mafia. Quite in depth and informative.
ND

• Made Men: The True Rise-And-Fall Story of a New Jersey Mob Family
  • Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti
  • Hades
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder, and the Birth of the American Mafia
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America
  • The Swap
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • The Gates of November
  • All the Pretty Dead Girls
Anthony M. DeStefano has been a reporter for the past twenty years for Newsday in New York City, specializing in criminal justice and legal affairs. He is the author of The Last Godfather, King of the Godfathers, Mob Killer,The War on Human Trafficking, and Gangland New York, among others. He has appeared on Biography Channel programs as an expert on organized crime and he also speaks at academic ...more