Start by marking “Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)” as Want to Read:
Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)

Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  3,192 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
1945. The day before Hitler commits suicide, he arranges for Nazi leader Martin Bormann to flee to South America in a German U-boat.

1992. Terrorist Sean Dillon is saved from a Yugoslavian firing squad --- if he agrees to help the British government retrieve the long-lost documents of Martin Bormann. The wreck of Bormann's U-boat has been discovered in the Caribbean, along
Published September 1st 1994 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published June 23rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Point, please sign up.

Asteropê Yes, he's the main character and focus of the series. This is #2 of the Sean Dillion series.

M.A. McRae
Jun 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I've read some great books by Jack Higgins, others that were quite reasonable, but not worth adding to my permanent library. This was the first time I've read one that was frankly poor. So OK, if you just read and never think about how likely it is, you might still like it, but really...

SPOILER ALERT: Our heroes know that the opposition are murderous, Dillon has already been run off the road and shot at, the nastiest one has dropped rotting fish bait over where they were diving in order to attra
R.P. Morel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: everything_else
If you love a good book dealing with dangerous recovery and salvage operations in a beautiful island setting, with lots of bad guys against the hero, this one's for you.
Sylvia
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i had this love-hate relationship with Sean Dillon...but he was pretty compassionate and totally good in this one.i love his black Irish humour!!
Pat
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Of all the Jack Higgins books I've read, this is by far my favorite. Action, suspense, and the best setting for any book--the Caribbean! Great dive scenes for anyone into diving.
Martin Hill
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I read Jack Higgins' Eye of the Storm, which first introduced the former IRA gunman Sean Dillon, I concluded my review with this paragraph:

"After this book, Dillon goes on to become the center character of another Higgins series. But unlike Devlin and Brosnan, I don't like Dillon. He has none of the glib Irish humor of Devlin, nor any of the introspective intellectualism of Brosnan. I simply don't want to spend more time with him. Though because I enjoy Higgins' books, I probably will. I on
Colette Hinton
I love Jack Higgins books, and this one was no exception. Fast paced, exciting and sometimes violent. I struggle to dislike/despise Sean Dillon. This leaves me feeling conflicted, as he puts minimal value on human life and makes his own rules. These rules are frequently illegal and immoral, and yet he is very much on the side of the underdog. For anyone who enjoys thrillers this is definitely a good book to read.
Jim
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A good fast-paced thriller, which is what we can expect from British author Jack Higgins ( born in 1929). He has written 84 novels (!) of which I have only read a half dozen. My favorite of his is the 1975 "The Eagle Has Landed" which was also made into an excellent film. In this one, from 1993, Nazi leader Martin Bormann escapes Germany in a U-Boat to get to South America. Unfortunately for him, the sub is wrecked in the Caribbean. Then, in the 90s, a diver discovers the sub--and also a list of ...more
Athelstan
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this novel. This is easily a top three all-time Higgins novel. I enjoyed this thing all the way through. I didn't want to stop reading. I couldn't wait to see what was coming next. This was a lot of fun to read.

I put this behind Night of the Fox and East of Desolation as my favorite Jack Higgins novels.
J.R. Geoghan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anything with WW2 subs is great, let's face it. I liked the action and the premise best.
Neil Spark
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A riveting ride that will keep you turning pages to the surprising end. The cast of characters is tight, like the writing and the plot. Irishman Sean Dillon, ex-IRA and all round Bad Boy is given what seems a suicidal task.

He has to find a brief case that leading Nazi Martin Bormann took into hiding with him. The contents of the case has information if made public would destroy the reputations of powerful people. The brief case is deep under water in a dangerous place off the Virgin Islands.

A p
Chuck
Samuel Tyler
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before Sean Dillon books became the literacy equivalent of a sausage machine churning out the same thing over and over again, they were actually pretty good. ‘Thunder Point’ is the second in the Dillon series and it works because it does not feel yet as if Jack Higgins was planning to flog the books until the apocalypse. In the timeframe of ‘Thunder’, Dillon is not yet one of Ferguson’s allies and instead starts off as a mercenary. This novel explains how he jumped from being IRA man to British ...more
Lg
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Dora
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I really enjoyed listening to the Audible book. The narrator was very skilled at providing voices for each of the characters including the dialects that Dillon chose to use.

The book opens at the close of WW II in Hitler's bunker. He has given a briefcase with money, numbered bank accounts in several different countries, a list of high ranking Nazi sympathyzers from other countries, and the Windsor protocol to Martin Borrman with instructions that he is to leave and keep the dream alive in South
Ed
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
#2 in the Sean Dillon series. Sean Dillon, the former IRA gunman, escaped from Brigadier Ferguson and his Group 4 after a mortar attack on No. 10 Downing Street, Eye of the Storm (1992). Now he has been captured and imprisoned in Serbia after flying in humanitarian medication. Ferguson makes a deal to have him released if he will offer his talents to Group 4 in a bid to recover Nazi documents from a newly found submarine in the Virgin Islands.

Sean Dillon series - Nazi lieutenant Martin Bormann e
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
An adventure and mystery and suspense thriller attractive for the background and the story both, in proportion depending on the reader.

A deep sea diver in tropical western Atlantic discovers something extraordinary on a dive when a current takes him to a place he has never been, and no one else has in a few decades from the look of it, where on a deep sea ledge he discovers a submarine wedged precariously - but it is a very valuable discovery, it is an old submarine, German in fact from the las
Jim
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, ebooks, fiction
This, the second in the Sean Dillon series, contains plenty of likable characters and a fun plot, and the settings--both above and beneath the water--are a treat. The only downside is that there are once again just too many eye-rolling (as in massively dumb) decisions being made by the characters, and almost all of the plot developments served by those dumb decisions could have been achieved without making the characters appear to be so dense. Still, a fun read, and I admit that I'm hooked. Dill ...more
Doug Dams
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wondered how you make a remorseless IRA killer into a hero. In this book I found out how. Sean Dillon is rescued from a Yugoslavian firing squad by the head of a British intelligence unit called group 4. He's been recruited to help recover nazi documents from a sunken U-boat in the Caribean and of course stop a nazi group from recovering them. The documents expose the pro-nazi sympathies of famous Britians and Americans. The book is a good read. Lots of action and fast paced, plus there's the ...more
Douglas
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the first Jack Higgins book that I have read – Sherryl brought it home from the Jr. High Library to read over the holidays. Most of the thrillers that I have read have either been techno-thrillers such as Rollins’ Sigma Force and Golemon’s Event Group; or Dan Brown type novels such as Berry’s Amber Room & Templar Legacy or Neville's The Eight. This was just a good old mercenary/spy novel. I enjoyed the writing and action and appreciated that there were no risqué scenes (I guess most ...more
Kevin Hammond
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: local-library
After having read this 18 years ago, I downloaded the audiobook to my iPhone from my local library for a 12-hour road trip. The narrator, Christian Rodska, makes the story come alive with his incredible ability to switch voices, accents and dialects effortlessly. In this the second of a nineteen book series, Sean Dillon, a former IRA gunman is 'persuaded' to work for the British government taking on the task of rescuing highly sensitive documents from a recently discovered WWII U-Boat, and at gr ...more
Gill
A friend gave me this and I did not hold out very high hopes for it, but I found it more interesting and compelling than I had expected. The main characters were fairly rounded and their relationships explored to some extent, whilst retaining its main thrust of action thriller. It did not rely on surprise or being unable to anticipate the events but yet managed by pace and skillful writing to carry one along with the story.
OK the intelligence agents show little intelligence, but I suspect this
Ian Simpson
There's a lot wrong with this book: repetition of 'tremendous'; having the Virgin Islands ahead of London, time-wise, instead of the other way round; the stupid fool-hardiness of allegedly intelligent characters; an important character 'enjoying' a drink soon after a disastrous reverse; wooden dialogue... I could go on.
But did I enjoy it? Well, yes I did actually. It's what used to be called a 'ripping yarn'. Higgins is a first-class storyteller, and he will have made a fortune for his publisher
Bob
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, 2 in the Sean Dillon series has Brigadier Charles Ferguson arranging Dillon's release from prison and an impending firing squad in Yugoslavia to work for him in the recovery of Documents found in a sunken German Submarine in the Virgin Islands. The British want the Documents which contain among other things the names of high ranking British Nazi sympathizers. Others are after the papers as well and the usual fights and chases ensue. I have found Higgins' books to always be readable and I hav ...more
Annette
Full of intrigue; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians and corporations sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.

Jack Higgins writes many good books mostly dealing
Greer Andjanetta
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A better than average mystery thriller (as one expects from Jack Higgins) about the surprise discovery of a sunken German submarine in the Caribbean containing a sealed briefcase belonging to Martin Bormann. The briefcase contains incriminating documents about the wartime activities of many English nobles, including the Duke of Windsor, and the attempts by various interested parties to recover them.
Annette
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Full of intrege; fictional accounting of the survival of Bormann, Hitlers's second in command who was given free passage out of Germany as World War II ended. It was a fictional accounting of whether he made it to South American as has alway remain a mystery.

Interesting perspective on a very Historial time.

I learned that many English and American politcians sided with Hitler in his quest to convert the world to his view point.
Sharon
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
First of the "final" version of author's Sean Dillon character. The books are fairly only (1990s) so may be difficult to find at local library. The characters and plots are somewhat James Bond type story based and often a bit unbelievable. However, I've found them to be a nice, easy, and quick diversion from some of the more realistic books even though I often smile at how outlandish the scenarios occasionally are. IWouldn't want to read too many in a row.
Lu
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sean-dillon
I really enjoyed reading this. You’ll probably like it if you’re looking for a fast paced, easy reading, with some mystery and action as well as a tropical setting and a bit of historical background. I personally loved the whole Bormann/U-Boat thing as I find WWII quite fascinating. It was also nice to read about Dillon getting to work with Ferguson and Bob Carney, three very different men somehow ending up being a well assembled and enjoyable team.
Raoul Jerome
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good one! This is one of the earlier ones in the series, and I must admit I think it's actually better than many of the later ones. Dillon is just getting to know Ferguson and vice-versa. Dillon demonstrates that he's one of the good guys even though he describes himself as one of the bad guys. Interesting plot line and very good development. I think I have only two left to read in the series... what shall I do?
Ryan Quaranta
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Thunder Point by Jack Higgins. It is book number 2 in the series about Sean Dillon. The book was an action packed book where there was a twist around every corner. It takes a turn when he is recruited by the British government.

My favorite part was when Sean Dillon was released out of prison by the British government to help them with a mission. It is my favorite part because in the first book they are hunting him down. In this book they need his help.
Stupid, stupid, stupid 5 40 Aug 27, 2014 09:22PM
  • Seawitch
  • Trevayne
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • The League of Night and Fog (Mortalis, #3)
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Night Strike (Extreme #2)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Days of Infamy (Pearl Harbor, #2)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)