Start by marking “Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)

Bad Kitty

(Bad Kitty #1)

1Meet Jasmine, 2 forensic supersleuth, 3 aspiring Model Daughter, 4 and friend to animals. 5 One second she's trying to enjoy her Vegas Vacation, 6 the next she's tangled up in an outrageous adventure and has to outwit a crazed killer before he ends ten lives, one of them her own.

1 Hi! That's me!
2 I. Wish.
3 Emphasis on aspiring. Current status: failing.
4 If friend means "
Published December 31st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Kitty

Start your review of Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)
Emma
May 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The phrase laugh out loud isn’t used that often now that “lol” has flooded the Internet in a big way. Personally, I think that’s a loss. It’s also a subject for a different kind of post though. My point here is that people don’t often talk about things that really make them laugh out loud–literally laughing, out loud. “Bad Kitty” is a novel that had me laughing for most of it. It also has the distinction of having zero one star reviews on amazon.com. And, to make it even cooler, “Bad Kitty” is a ...more
Denise
Jul 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: any S.A.S.S. or Rennison fan
Shelves: for-work
I barely got through this one. At first I thought it was very cute, even looking past the unrealistic elements (being able to go to late night parties unchaperoned in Vegas, complete cluelessness by most characters, etc.). But then the "cuteness" got old fast because it was just so overdone. And all of that secondary conversation happening at the bottom on almost every page - sheesh!!! The only thing that stopped me from just putting it down was I wanted to know who dunnit. But I do realize that ...more
Sara Grochowski
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've read quite a few of Michele Jaffe's books for adults (The Stargazer, etc), but this is the first of her books for younger adults that I'd read. I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it - in fact, it came out a few years ago and I always passed by it, but I TOTALLY regret that now. Because this book is totally, totally HILARIOUS! For real - I absolutely loved it.
I like books that have a mystery element - especially one that doesn't have really obvious solution right from the beginning (becaus
Trisha
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a cute mix of silly teenager and mystery. Jas, taken from her friends for the summer on a vacation - she is the one in the family that always causes trouble. Sure, she will tell you it's not her fault and list out all the reasons it wasn't - but her Dad (super genius) never sees it that way. He'd rather she stay home and study and be a good, perfect kid (instead of a quirky, fun kid she is).

So, of course, the family vacation involves a mystery she needs to solve and her arrest and almo
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most books I read, a friend recommended reading Bad Kitty. Contemporary YA isn't really my thing given my usual choice of anything paranormal, but she talked up how incredibly funny Bad Kitty was. She went so far as to post the first haiku, and I nearly snorted out my drink. So, I basically ran to the library to get the book.

I didn't stop laughing through the entire book! My husband would roll over in bed wondering what exactly was so funny, and I'd read him snippets. He'd look at me lik
Watermelon Daisy

Bad Kitty is one of those books where I understand why certain people might like it.

But I disliked it. It was far too girly, and though it had laughable moments, it fell short to the cheesiness. I guess there’s a limit to chick-lit-girliness for me, and I’m sure others with a more affectionate taste would love this book. Really, it’s just the life of a girl who happens to be in the right place at the right time and finds herself involved in all sorts of drama and mystery.

There’s the usual aspect
Lindsey Leavitt
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is still one of my all time favorite YA books. Laughed laughed laughed. And Vegas setting. Full of win.
Jannah (Cloud Child)
Well this made me giggle a lot. I've only read Ghost Flower by Michele Jaffe before which held a small fraction of this sass so really didn't know what I would be getting into here lol.
The format was very sassy slang terms circa 2000s teen and the characters all very quirky and ridiculous in different ways. Jas is hilarious and cheeky and also a bit oblivious despite her detecting superpowers. The story started off confusing, due to the format which is riddled with much slang and decorations pe
Karlee
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think the book is a really good book, even though there is struggles in this book about a girl wanting to be peaceful to herself. & the fact the some 'important' girl had gotten bailed out of jail... Overall, nice book. Read for yourself. ...more
Maya McKenzie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This book is fire. I am going to re-read it.
Emily Kazmierski
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was pure fluff, both funny and entertaining.
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun read and light adventure.
What a great read! Bad Kitty is witty and fun right from the beginning and doesn't let up until the very end. Jasmine is a great heroine and her friends are excellent compliments to her need to discover.

Bad Kitty is often laugh-out-loud funny with the occasional tender moment. My favorite part has to be the footnotes that break the fourth wall (as well as develop some of the central characters better).

The only sour note, for me, is Jasmine's dad. Any kid who has maintained a passion for over a d
Ayla
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any teenaged girl who wants a funny book with a gripping plot.
Recommended to Ayla by: my sister
From the cover, you'd think this book was a book for five year olds who dress in all pink every day and are only reading because their mommies say it will make them smarter. That assumption is wrong, although the cover is very unfitting for the book. And so is the title, come to think of it. A cat is only mentioned once in the whole book, and that is at the very beginning. The book is really about a girl named Jas, who thinks she has no talent. She has three friends that are hilarious and each h ...more
Jill
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cutesy-books
I admit, the name and especially the cover are kind of a turn off for me, but hopefully what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in story. It is what is inside that counts. Ya. But seriously, I really dislike this cover.
So far it seems good but it is a different format with different style writing so it takes some getting used to.

That. Was. Awesome!!!
I loved the story, the characters, and I even admit I did not see parts of the ending coming.
Jas, as well as her friends, Polly, Roxy, and Tom, we
Almeta
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: dying2read
I've read some "Young Adult" literature and wondered what earned them that classification. They seemed to be "Old Adult" literature to me!

This book would definitely be most enjoyed by the younger set. I felt as if I was getting in touch with my "inner Valley Girl", although I don't ever remember being "boy crazy". At least not to the point of wanting to undress them; that came much later in life for me! (Yet memory and old age dementia are related.)

Anyway, the mystery is convoluted enough that I
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

If you’re looking for fun, fashion and super-sleuthing, then look no further than Michele Jaffe’s heroine, Jas Calihan! Jas attracts trouble like moths to a flame, so when she tries to enjoy a family holiday in Las Vegas, it’s no surprise to her friends that she ends up embroiled in a mysterious plot involving kidnapping, murder and incredibly good-looking guy who’s totally Visa (read the book – you’ll know what I mean!).

This is the first in what promises to be a witty an
Melanie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I plowed through this, staying up late for just one more chapter... I LOVED this book! So much fun, so funny, great characters and Jas was hilarious with her life lessons and superpowers. The out of book asides got annoying after a while, but not enough to deter from how absolutely delightful the rest of the book was. I can't wait to read the next one - and a few adult books by this author. Seriously good stuff, if you like YA or funny chick lit/mysteries, this one is a must-read.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was SO funny. I laughed over and over again while reading it. I loved all the characters and I was so happy when Tom and Polly got together! That was a spoiler, so oops! But it's pretty obvious. Anyway. have fun reading it. It's a pretty short and fluffy read.
Bree
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Brilliantly far-fetched. Be prepared to look like a freak if you read this book in public because you'll be laughing out loud.
CeJayCe
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book currently stands as #1 on my All-Time Favorites list. Comedy, mystery, romance, murder, intrigue, AND great fashion. What more could any one book offer?
Mimi Valentine
This book was pure FUN! I loved it, and those footnotes always had me laughing out loud! :) <3 ...more
Lexi
"Bad Kitty" is very hysterical and cleverly written.This book is a page turner and cracked into my top ten favourite books. KUDOS MICHELE JAFFE!!! :)
Andrew Green
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
It was good, I loved the end however I did prodict it. but I guess I do read alot of these types of books.
Ash
A good 3.5 stars - a reread from forever ago, and still good despite some small issues I had for it.
Blogger Girl
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very funny and worth your time
Samantha
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
1. Wyoming Buckaroo Book Award
2. Appropriate for grades 2-3
3. This story starts off while Jasmine is on vacation with her family. While there she is chased by a crazy cat which leads her to a mystery with it's family. While Jasmines dad does not want her to pressure crime, Jasmine dives into an investigation anyway.
4. This is a fun book that brings mystery and comedy into a story to keep you entertained.
5. This would be a great book to introduce children to who are interested in mystery. It al
Char
Aug 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
At first, I liked Bad Kitty. I thought it was cute with its silly protagonist, Jas, and the author's use of early 2000s teenage slang. However, I did not like it when Jas and her friends were making fun of Alyson's and Veronique's outfits by calling them "Squaws" and "Children of the Squaw". I actually did a double take when I read this part of the book. I'm sure Michele Jaffe meant no harm when she decided to put that in her book, but it didn't make me feel good as someone who is Native America ...more
Christine (KizzieReads)
What did I just read? I think it was trying to be funny like Sophie Kinsella but it was trying too hard. The characters were flat and very immature. They were 17 but acted like they were 10. They got I to these massive situations but were totally clueless. There were a few places where I laughed, and the ending reveal was good, but too little too late. It was like Clueless meets Sophie Kinsella meets CSI meets Magyver. Of course I will read the other book in the duo.ogy as I am a sucker for pu i ...more
LaCath
I liked the book enough. The mystery wasn't bad, even if the villain was both obvious and caricatural, the heroin was likable and funny at times. The author thanks, amongst others, Meg Cabot and I can see her influence.
What I didn't like at all, however, was the bunch of friends and especially all their footnote comments. After a while, I simply stopped reading them and the book got much better. The friends and the Evil Henches were a little too quirky for my taste but, all in all, it was a fun,
PensAreCool
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guess I’m a sucker for a satisfying conclusion of a murder mystery where all the pieces fall into place and are described by a confident protagonist. Though much of this story is cringeworthy, there are some semi-clever characters and an interesting enough plot. There are also some funny elements - particularly with the texting bits. This isn’t the best story ever, and I wouldn’t recommend very highly, but this is a fun dumb read.
Natural Skin Care Products 1 1 May 01, 2015 11:41PM
What's the Name o...: Teenage spy [s] 2 81 Dec 27, 2011 05:35PM
BAD KITTY 2 21 Jan 25, 2009 07:02PM

• Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty
  • Bad Kitty Gets a Bath
  • Girl at Sea
  • A Bad Kitty Christmas: Includes Three Ready-to-Hang Ornaments!
  • Bad Kitty Meets the Baby
  • Shadowland (The Mediator, #1)
  • Bad Kitty School Daze
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Girl v. Boy
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School, #1)
  • The Wig in the Window (Young and Yang, #1)
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Ghost Town (Saranormal, #1)
  • The Dragonsitter (Dragonsitter, #1)
  • The Curious Cat Spy Club (Curious Cat Spy Club, #1)
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
Michele Jaffe (b. March 20 in Los Angeles, California), is an American writer. She has authored novels in several genres, including historical romance, suspense thrillers, and novels for Young Adults.

Bad Kitty (2 books)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)