Start by marking “Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )” as Want to Read:
Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )

Tintin in America

(Tintin #3)

The classic graphic novel. Tintin comes to the U.S.A. to clean up the mean streets of Chicago but ends up in the wild west! Will Tintin make it back home?
Paperback, American Edition, 62 pages
Published November 30th 1979 by Little, Brown and Co. (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin in America

Start your review of Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
Mir
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
On second thought , let's not go to America. 'Tis a silly place.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintin en Amérique = Tintin in America (Tintin, #3), Hergé
Tintin in America (French: Tintin en Amérique) is the third volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. Commissioned by the conservative Belgian newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle for its children's supplement Le Petit Vingtième, it was serialised weekly from September 1931 to October 1932 before being published in a collected volume by Éditions du Petit Vingtième in 1932. The story tells of young Belgia
Manybooks
When I first read Hergé's Tintin en Amérique in German translation (as Tim in Amerika) as a child (and I guess I must have been about nine or ten years of age), I did indeed find the general storyline somewhat and mildly amusing. But even then (even at that time), I was already thinking that Hergé had been rather strangely loose with his fusing together 1920s-1930s Chicago gangster and organised crime culture with what can only be considered and described as the so-called Wild West (and its utte ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
We've arrived. I smell gangsters!

To quote Snowy: Tintin has arrived. This is, as far as all logic dictates, the first Tintin book in the series (in the conventional sense). The first two (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin au Congo) are oddities which are interesting in their own right, but really recommended for Tintin completists only.

Great snakes! This is entertaining as all heck, and to think the best is yet to come!

There isn't much more I can add to this review, really. If you are
Melki
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Gangsters, machine guns and police brutality!

Welcome to the good ole U.S. of A., Tintin!

On a mission to clean up corruption in Chicago, Tintin is kidnapped, shot at, gassed, tossed in a lake, and clubbed by a copper. Then it's onward to the Redskin Reservation to make fun of some Native Americans. Here Tintin, the little towheaded Paleface, is shot at some more, trapped in a tunnel, and manages to discover oil. (Don't worry - oil company men instantly materialize to reap the profits and screw th
Luís C.
After Africa, and Congo more precisely, Tintin went to America.

From his arrival in Chicago, he has a lot to deal with gangsters who seem to have given themselves the word to lead him the hard life... They will try every means to harm him: threats, kidnapping, transformation into Corned beef...
Tintin will go to Indian territory in pursuit of a brigand. Note that Hergé's vision is far from being uninteresting as to what happens to the Indians once oil is discovered on their land.
Well, this album i
Tintin
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was young and reckless. Foolish and foolhardy. It all ended okay but I am ashamed of the man I was in those days.
Jake
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was so lazily written. Everything was soooooo convenient. Tintin should've died, like, ten times. Oh, Tintin's been tied to metal and dropped into the sea? Nevermind. It was accidentally made of wood. Oh, Tintin is tied to railroad tracks? Nevermind. Some lady stopped the train because she saw a puma maul a deer. Tintin needs a way out of the room! Oh, there's a secret door. Tintin needs to find the criminal! Oh, he bumped into him in the desert. It'd be insulting to the reader if it w ...more
Piyangie
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, my-library
The third installment of the series is better than the previous two. It shows the potential which was developed later in the series. Although there was light satire in certain areas which I thought should have been avoided, this didn't impede much on my enjoying the story as a whole.

The adventure of Tintin and Snowy was interesting enough. It took me up and down and through all the dangers Tintin placed himself in. The story had somewhat a beginning and an ending which was quite a relief.

It was
Karin
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kapk, french-author
Sorry, I've never been a big TinTin fan.w Wat is surprising is that even though Hergé was appalled by how Native Americans and First Nations people were treated and later visited him, he did them no justice in this book. But I have never been a huge fan of the art or the stories, even as a child.
David Sarkies
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Diehard Tintin Fans (can be ignored)
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
Herge Criticises the American Way
4 February 2012

This is not really my favourite Tintin story, though it is only the third one ever written. The story appears to be set immediately after Tintin in the Congo and it is suggested (it has been a long time since I read a Tintin in the Congo, if I ever actually read it in English so I can only garner from what was said about it at the beginning of this story) that Tintin busted a diamond smuggling ring in the Congo and then travelled to the United Sta
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is one of the three pre-war Tintin books which are not in general circulation in English, and for fairly good reason; it's not all that good. Tintin goes to America in 1931, briefly captures Al Capone (who was still just about at liberty in real life at that stage), is himself captured by the Blackfoot tribe, and then has a series of unlikely and disjointed adventures ending with him rolling up the entire Chicago Syndicate of Gansters and sent back to Belgium as a hero. The only African-Ame ...more
Dan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A tedious and repetitive series of loosely connected narrative episodes interspersed with clichés about American culture and hateful racist stereotypes.
Mohammed A. Osman
Re-reading Tintin series is special experience to me, he was the comics hero i rated highly when i came to Sweden as a kid. Of course i cant remember much from the actual stories now other than i liked the over the top fun,adventure.

Rating this as an adult is different and i thought this volume was a clear improvement on the black and white early,immature artwork of the first volume Tintin in Soviet and the weird,off putting animal slaughterhouse that is Tintin in Congo.

This volume the art is mu
Samir Rawas Sarayji
I read Tintin obsessively as a kid. But after 20 years... I’ve managed to forget some of them. This one never was a favorite, it’s boring and very repetitive. Besides, where’s the fun if Haddock isn’t there?
Neil
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a hotel detec
Kest Schwartzman
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The part where a buncha (white)moguls think our (white) hero has discovered an oil well and start bidding at 5000 dollars, and make it up to several hundred thousand dollars, before being informed that the well actually belongs to the local Native American tribe, who they then give 25 dollars and chase off the land? That is some brilliant satire on a terrible time.

The part where those same Native Americans are written as bloody bungling idiots who can't even recognize their friends? That part f
Harish Challapalli
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first color edition of tin tin!!

As I have read few latest editions than these, I felt that it is not like those!! All the adventures in the latest editions are wonderful and tin tin escapes from them by his intelligence and spontaneity, where as in this one it is more of luck!!

Also the cartoons are too geeky and the narration was boring at some times!! Nevertheless the brand name of tin tin will make u read it completely and entertains u well!!
Jesús
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
[Comics Canon Review]

It’s hard not to fall into step with the adventure and action and mystery of Tintin in America, but it’s even harder not to feel that whatever joy I might get from reading this book is colored by its racist underpinnings. The racism of the Tintin comics is not “a minor detail,” “typical for its time,” or an “unfortunate distraction”; rather, racism is, in fact, central to the Tintin comics, so there’s just no getting around or over it.
Dr Rashmit Mishra
This was the first coloured edition of the tintin books and much of the racist outlook and Various propaganda were thrown out of the window, making this portrayal of Tintin much closer to the one we have known and loved

That said the Talking Dog and Characters not dying after stuff like explosion, car accident and Train accident still exists making this issue despite a much better installment than its predecessor still a book that hasn't aged well for this day and age
Grégory
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2019
The 3rd adventure of Tintin feels like more thought went into the storyline. It is still a collection of mini adventures and narrow escapes, yet it feels more like a whole whereas the previous two were completely random. Tintin is finding his cruising speed there. All racism aside, some clever pages were delightful and horribly accurate (e.g. the oil rig discovery and the subsequent treatment of the natives).
Michael
A disappointing start to the Tintin series. A simplistic series of incidents strung together by unlikely coincidences onto a threadbare plot. Tintin is one-dimensional and uninteresting in this story.

I know that the series gets better as I read some of the later ones to my children when they were younger. Therefore, I will persevere and hope that Hergé hits his stride quickly.
Lotte
What's that? A plot? Finally!

This album is already a step up from the two previous ones, although it's still a little hit-and-run. What becomes clear is how Hergé loves all things mechanic, especially trains. The album criticises American capitalism and consumerism, but fails to represent American Natives well. Hergé tried, but still depicts them as people that are too naïve.
Andrew
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, i-own-this
End ups being very repetitive and exhausting to read. Tintin gets saved a dozen too many times. Certainly hints at being a good book but overstays it's welcome... and at 60 pages that's quite a bad achievement.
Ash
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I hardly remember anything. Read Tintin so many yrs back, maybe some 14 yrs back?! Rereading the whole series.. And thoroughly enjoying again :)
Tetty Marlinda
#20 for 2018
Genre: Children Comic
Melanie Soble
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
1. This book would fall under the category of a junior book, graphic novel.
2. Tintin is a reporter who somehow gets out of extremely sticky situations. It is set in 1931 in Chicago where Tintin manages to chase down gangsters across the Midwest.
3. critique
a. As far as graphic novels go, this book is not that great. The characters lack development and the plot is pretty lame.
b. Graphic novels often lack the depth of character development, but this book goes seems to lack even a bit of devel
Matthew Hunter
Other than some cringe-worthy moments in Herge's handling of Native Americans, Tintin in America is an entertaining and often funny read. I find it hilarious that Herge had not visited the U.S. before creating this story, so he chose to focus on popular movie themes--gangsters and the Wild West. Certainly in 1931, the U.S. wasn't much like Herge's version. Herge doesn't earn any points for realism. However, he does deserve credit for astute cultural analysis and meaningful social commentary.

My f
Judy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: k-series-vol-1
rating: 2.5
"Chicago, 1931, when gangster bosses ruled the city"

One of our cousins in France often mentions Tintin. This cover caught my eye, so I decided to see what he finds so engaging. Well, I can see the appeal, but it's a book that I won't be keeping.

There's a heavy dollop of American history and culture, served in exaggerated, politically incorrect doses and moving along at a fast clip. Add a dash of the 3 Stooges and a strong strand of violence. (without blood or pain -- just stars), and
Renee
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
The first flash of greatness seen in this one, in the midst of some old timey good guys vs. bad guys action.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

Herge hits the nail on the head when Tintin accidentally strikes oil and is offered $$$$ for the rights. When he says "Oh this oil belongs to the native tribe here, you need to talk to them" the company execs are all OH WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?? ...and you see the white execs call in the military to forcibly remove the Blackfeet nation from their homes to then easily steal t
Play Book Tag: Tintin in America by Hergé barely 2 stars 1 11 Dec 01, 2019 02:29PM
TinTin Books: Tintin cover fetches record-breaking 1.3m euros 4 20 Jun 13, 2012 10:15PM

• Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Tintin: Complete Companion
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix, #12)
  • Asterix in Spain (Asterix, #14)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Belgium (Asterix, #24)
  • Asterix and the Cauldron (Asterix, #13)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)
  • Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix #30)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...