Start by marking “Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )” as Want to Read:
Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )

Tintin in America

(Tintin #3)

The classic graphic novel. Tintin comes to the U.S.A. to clean up the mean streets of Chicago but ends up in the wild west! Will Tintin make it back home?
Paperback, American Edition, 62 pages
Published November 30th 1979 by Little, Brown and Co. (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin in America

Start your review of Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
Mir
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
On second thought , let's not go to America. 'Tis a silly place.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintin en Amérique = Tintin in America (Tintin, #3), Hergé
Tintin in America (French: Tintin en Amérique) is the third volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. Commissioned by the conservative Belgian newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle for its children's supplement Le Petit Vingtième, it was serialised weekly from September 1931 to October 1932 before being published in a collected volume by Éditions du Petit Vingtième in 1932. The story tells of young Belgia
Manybooks
When I first read Hergé's Tintin en Amérique in German translation (as Tim in Amerika) as a child (and I guess I must have been about nine or ten years of age), I did indeed find the general storyline somewhat and mildly amusing. But even then (even at that time), I was already thinking that Hergé had been rather strangely loose with his fusing together 1920s-1930s Chicago gangster and organised crime culture with what can only be considered and described as the so-called Wild West (and its utterly stereotypica ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
We've arrived. I smell gangsters!

To quote Snowy: Tintin has arrived. This is, as far as all logic dictates, the first Tintin book in the series (in the conventional sense). The first two (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin au Congo) are oddities which are interesting in their own right, but really recommended for Tintin completists onl
Melki
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Gangsters, machine guns and police brutality!

Welcome to the good ole U.S. of A., Tintin!

On a mission to clean up corruption in Chicago, Tintin is kidnapped, shot at, gassed, tossed in a lake, and clubbed by a copper. Then it's onward to the Redskin Reservation to make fun of some Native Americans. Here Tintin, the little towheaded Paleface, is shot at some more, trapped in a tunnel, and manages to discover oil. (Don't worry - oil company men instantly materialize to reap the profits a
Luís C.
After Africa, and Congo more precisely, Tintin went to America.

From his arrival in Chicago, he has a lot to deal with gangsters who seem to have given themselves the word to lead him the hard life... They will try every means to harm him: threats, kidnapping, transformation into Corned beef...
Tintin will go to Indian territory in pursuit of a brigand. Note that Hergé's vision is far from being uninteresting as to what happens to the Indians once oil is discovered on their land.
Well,
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is one of the three pre-war Tintin books which are not in general circulation in English, and for fairly good reason; it's not all that good. Tintin goes to America in 1931, briefly captures Al Capone (who was still just about at liberty in real life at that stage), is himself captured by the Blackfoot tribe, and then has a series of unlikely and disjointed adventures ending with him rolling up the entire Chicago Syndicate of Gansters and sent back to Belgium as a hero. The only African-Ame ...more
Jake
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was so lazily written. Everything was soooooo convenient. Tintin should've died, like, ten times. Oh, Tintin's been tied to metal and dropped into the sea? Nevermind. It was accidentally made of wood. Oh, Tintin is tied to railroad tracks? Nevermind. Some lady stopped the train because she saw a puma maul a deer. Tintin needs a way out of the room! Oh, there's a secret door. Tintin needs to find the criminal! Oh, he bumped into him in the desert. It'd be insulting to the reader if it w ...more
Mohammed Abdi Osman
Re-reading Tintin series is special experience to me, he was the comics hero i rated highly when i came to Sweden as a kid. Of course i cant remember much from the actual stories now other than i liked the over the top fun,adventure.

Rating this as an adult is different and i thought this volume was a clear improvement on the black and white early,immature artwork of the first volume Tintin in Soviet and the weird,off putting animal slaughterhouse that is Tintin in Congo.

T
Samir Rawas Sarayji
I read Tintin obsessively as a kid. But after 20 years... I’ve managed to forget some of them. This one never was a favorite, it’s boring and very repetitive. Besides, where’s the fun if Haddock isn’t there?
David Sarkies
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Diehard Tintin Fans (can be ignored)
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
Herge Criticises the American Way
4 February 2012

This is not really my favourite Tintin story, though it is only the third one ever written. The story appears to be set immediately after Tintin in the Congo and it is suggested (it has been a long time since I read a Tintin in the Congo, if I ever actually read it in English so I can only garner from what was said about it at the beginning of this story) that Tintin busted a diamond smuggling ring in the Congo and then travelled to th
Dan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A tedious and repetitive series of loosely connected narrative episodes interspersed with clichés about American culture and hateful racist stereotypes.
Tintin
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was young and reckless. Foolish and foolhardy. It all ended okay but I am ashamed of the man I was in those days.
Neil
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a
Harish Challapalli
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first color edition of tin tin!!

As I have read few latest editions than these, I felt that it is not like those!! All the adventures in the latest editions are wonderful and tin tin escapes from them by his intelligence and spontaneity, where as in this one it is more of luck!!

Also the cartoons are too geeky and the narration was boring at some times!! Nevertheless the brand name of tin tin will make u read it completely and entertains u well!!
Jesús
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
[Comics Canon Review]

It’s hard not to fall into step with the adventure and action and mystery of Tintin in America, but it’s even harder not to feel that whatever joy I might get from reading this book is colored by its racist underpinnings. The racism of the Tintin comics is not “a minor detail,” “typical for its time,” or an “unfortunate distraction”; rather, racism is, in fact, central to the Tintin comics, so there’s just no getting around or over it.
Ash
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I hardly remember anything. Read Tintin so many yrs back, maybe some 14 yrs back?! Rereading the whole series.. And thoroughly enjoying again :)
Grégory
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, comics
The 3rd adventure of Tintin feels like more thought went into the storyline. It is still a collection of mini adventures and narrow escapes, yet it feels more like a whole whereas the previous two were completely random. Tintin is finding his cruising speed there. All racism aside, some clever pages were delightful and horribly accurate (e.g. the oil rig discovery and the subsequent treatment of the natives).
Tetty Marlinda
#20 for 2018
Genre: Children Comic
Melanie Soble
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
1. This book would fall under the category of a junior book, graphic novel.
2. Tintin is a reporter who somehow gets out of extremely sticky situations. It is set in 1931 in Chicago where Tintin manages to chase down gangsters across the Midwest.
3. critique
a. As far as graphic novels go, this book is not that great. The characters lack development and the plot is pretty lame.
b. Graphic novels often lack the depth of character development, but this book goes seems to lack even a bi
Kest Schwartzman
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The part where a buncha (white)moguls think our (white) hero has discovered an oil well and start bidding at 5000 dollars, and make it up to several hundred thousand dollars, before being informed that the well actually belongs to the local Native American tribe, who they then give 25 dollars and chase off the land? That is some brilliant satire on a terrible time.

The part where those same Native Americans are written as bloody bungling idiots who can't even recognize their friends? That part f
Zinat Tasnim
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tintin is in Chicago with the mission of clearing the city from the notorious mobs. Surely the ones who have read Mario Puzo can relate to how these Italian mobs once controlled America. Tintin is in the heart of all these actions with his companion Snowy. This installment is fun and enjoyable with American motorcars and a touch of the wild west. The sub-story regarding the expulsion of red-Indians from their lands was a small reminder of how modern American civilization was built on depriving n ...more
Dr Rashmit Mishra
This was the first coloured edition of the tintin books and much of the racist outlook and Various propaganda were thrown out of the window, making this portrayal of Tintin much closer to the one we have known and loved

That said the Talking Dog and Characters not dying after stuff like explosion, car accident and Train accident still exists making this issue despite a much better installment than its predecessor still a book that hasn't aged well for this day and age
Michael
A disappointing start to the Tintin series. A simplistic series of incidents strung together by unlikely coincidences onto a threadbare plot. Tintin is one-dimensional and uninteresting in this story.

I know that the series gets better as I read some of the later ones to my children when they were younger. Therefore, I will persevere and hope that Hergé hits his stride quickly.
Andrew
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own-this, comics
End ups being very repetitive and exhausting to read. Tintin gets saved a dozen too many times. Certainly hints at being a good book but overstays it's welcome... and at 60 pages that's quite a bad achievement.
Denim Datta
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, comics
Awesome Comics, full with adventure-comedy. Really like this series.
Crystal
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rather horrific bit of racism here and just not a great story. Lots of action, but there are many better choices in the world so I would rather read something else.
Lilly  Minasyan
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of Tin Tin, where it is just him and Snowy, before the Captain. Enjoyed it :)
Logan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely enjoyable. I think any boy would want to be Tintin, but man, he has so many lucky escapes just in the nick of time!

Funny how they perceived America: go straight from gangsters in Chicago to wild Indians and Cowboys just outside of town!
itchy
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: soft
color has come at last
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
TinTin Books: Tintin cover fetches record-breaking 1.3m euros 4 20 Jun 13, 2012 10:15PM

• Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Tintin: Complete Companion
  • Asterix in Spain (Asterix, #14)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Switzerland (Asterix, #16)
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Great Crossing (Asterix, #22)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Obelix and Co. (Asterix, #23)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics, partic

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)