Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories

by
3.69  ·  Rating details ·  5,428 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
Cat o'Nine Tales is the fifth collection of irresistible short stories from the master storyteller. Ingeniously plotted, with richly drawn characters and Jeffrey Archer's trademark of deliciously unexpected conclusions, this new collection has the added bonus of thirteen charming illustrations by the internationally acclaimed artist Ronald Searle.

Some of these twelve stor
...more
Hardcover, 272 pages
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Shayantani Das
This book in itself is pretty decent. What is sad though is the fact that out of 12 stories, only the 9 which were inspired by real life incidents were worth reading. “Don’t Drink the Water” and “The Alibi” were my personal favorite. The complexity of the plot, the minute details and the pacing was brilliant. It is the kind of story that leaves you with a huge smile on your smile because you feel that your time has been well spent. The other 7 stories varied from very interesting, to fairly dece ...more
Sarah ~
بينما كان جيفري ارتشر (المؤلف) سجينا على مدى عامين ..
ومتنقلا بين خمسة سجون مختلفة.. التقط أفكار هذه القصص القصيرة..
تسع من هذه القصص التقطها من السجن وهي قصص من الواقع .. وتم نشرها بعد تنقحيها .. وتنميقها .. وتغيير أسماء أصحابها .
أما القصص الثلاث الأخرى فهي فهي من الواقع أيضا.. والتقطها من أثينا ولندن وروما ..

قصص مشوقة جدا ..
تتراوح بين الذكاء والدهاء والحظ كما في قصص "الملك الأحمر" و "أتفهم قصدي " و "المأمور " ..
والمفاجأة في النهاية كما في " لاتشرب الماء " :) .
أعجبتني قصة " المايسترو " :)
من القص
...more
Kandice
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Man Who Robbed His Own Post Office" 5 stars
This is one of those tales that could have ended in about 5 spots. The difference with this one is that Archer acknowledges it! I think that’s infinitely clever. He tells a tricky little tale in which our anti-heroes have seemingly no choice except to do what they do, which is wrong, but...sometimes you can’t help it!

I genuinely liked Chris and Sue. They seemed to be upstanding people and had a terrifically ingrained sense of justice. They just had
...more
أحمد نفادي
كملحوظات سريعة
1- أول مرة أقرا لجيفري آرتشر وكانت قرائتي ليه مصادفة ولكنها لن تكون الاخيرة
2- اسلوب الحكاية عند جيفري رائع جدا ومشوق بحيث انك مش هتعرف تسيب المجموعة الا لما تخلصها كلها
3- القصص دي اتكتبت في السجن اه جيفري ردّ سجون :D
الغريب انه كان في مجلس العموم البريطاني وبعدها اتسجن والقصص دي منها 9 عرفها من السجن
4- لحد دلوقتي مش فاهم معنى عنوان المجموعة مفيش اي قصة من القصص ال 12 باسم قط وتسعة كلاب فيه 9 حكايات من السجن فدول يمكن الكلاب :D
بس فين القط !!!!!
5- اغلب القصص تحايل ضريبي !!! وده بيط
...more
Aliaa Mohamed
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
اول قراءاتى لجيفرى آرتشر الذى اعجبت به منذ قرأت سيرته الذاتية الموجزة التى ذكرها ف مقدمة ذلك الكتاب حيث أشار إلى إنه استوحى قصص ذلك الكتاب من فترة وجوده بالسجن
لم تعجبنى كل القصص فقد تراوحت جمالها وروعتها الادبية بين ممتاز وجيد ومتوسط .. جاءت اكثر القصص جمالا " الرجل الذى سرق مكتب بريده " العنوان غريب لأول وهلة ولكن يتضح مغزاه إلا قبل نهاية القصة بقليل عندما ندرك ان مخالفة القانون احيانا تصبح الحل الوحيد للحصول ع الحق !
كذلك اعجبتنى " اعجبتنى رغم صغرها ، واعجبنى كثيراً ذكاء ماريو صاحب المطعم الذى
...more
Miriam Mathew
Jeffrey Archer's short stories are amazing. The best thing about them is that each story has that unusual quality about them that makes them unique. They're all extremely different and I like that a lot. Most short stories start to get a little repetitious after a while but Archer kept me turning the pages till the end.
Chris
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: deadbeats
Twelve stories, nine of which ‘Lord’ Archer takes the liberty of borrowing and embellishing from fellow inmates while in lockdown. That’s right, our beleaguered nobleman apparently found a way to fall from the lofty grace of membership in the ranks of Parliament to becoming just another scumbag perjurer doing time. While Archer claims to have some interesting turns of fate within the book’s tales, reality again trumps fiction when you consider that this guy was paid for helping to draft ineffect ...more
Mark Soone
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
My rating is in actuality a 3.5 average..I just cannot justify giving this 4 stars so rounded down rather than up. 3.5 is more accurate based upon my reading, but 4 stars does not seem accurate. I love Jeffery Archer and consider him among the premier short story writers of our era. This collection however is not among his best short works that I have encountered. Don't get me wrong it is still a worthwhile read for Archer fans and short story enthusisats. The ironic thing is this collection con ...more
Sermeen Abdallah
قط وتسعة كلاب ، 12 قصة حقيقة سمعها جيفرى آرتشر خلال تواجده بالسجن ما عدا 3 قصص كانت خارج السجن
ودا بيفسر اسم الكتاب قط وتسعة كلاب ! أعتقد ان المقصود بالرقم تسعة هو عدد القصص اللى سمعهم وهو فى السجن محبوس كالقط !! :)

القصص فيها عنصر المفاجأه اللى يشدك ويخليك منتبه لاخر كلمه فى القصة عشان تعرف نهايتها
احيانا كنت بحس بشوية ملل فى بداية القصة بس لما الاحداث توصل للنص الملل كان بيقل بالتدريج وببدأ اتشد عشان اعرف النهاية

اول مرة اقرأ لجيفرى ومش هتون الاخيرة ان شاء الله :))
Sheila
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: family, friends & goodread members
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Shelves: jeffery-archer
As always Jeffrey Archer creates amazing stories. This is my first short stories each was entertaining, engrossing and hilarious. It is based on white collar crime. I could not put down this book it was so interesting and I would recommend to everyone. I say give it try you will not regret it.
Abdullah Bakhashwain
مجموعة قصصية لكاتب وروائي يمتاز اسلوبه بالمفاجآت والدهشة. ة التشويق. المؤلف كان عضؤ مجلس العموم البريطاني ومستشار للمرأة الجديدية رئيسة وزراء بريطانيا عن حكومة حزب المحافظين . وكان عضو مجلس اللوردات وكل هذا لم يشفع له عندما ارتكب بعض السلوكيات التي يعاقب عليها القانون وحكم عليه بالسجن وامضى عامين في الحبس وهو الشخصية القوية والجريئة والمحاورة لكن الحماقات والقدر ادخلته السجن وفي السجن وظف ارشر مهاراته فالتقط تسع قصص واقعية لسجناء معه و حولها الى سرد جميل مشوق عنوان المجموعة القصصية ليس عنوان لاح ...more
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Lord Archer wrote Cat O'Nine Tales during his time at HMP Belmarsh and Ford Open Prison. Some of the stories were works of fiction and other stories were told to Jeffrey by his fellow prisoners.

I enjoyed some of these stories more than others.

My favourite story was Don't drink the water, but I also enjoyed The Alibi and It can't be October all ready.

However I did not enjoy In the Eye of the Beholder because it was offensive to overweight people. Lord Archer is a won
...more
Jenn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining read. some of the stories I got a laugh from but a couple of the others were a little boring. I found that Mr. Archer did tell a good story though in a few of them.
Alex
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to reading short stories, because it goes at a good pace throughout and it has steady flow so that i can keep up with what's happening! because i am a bit slow. After reading this book i didn't know what to think of it. It was a very mature read, and it refers to problems that is happening in society today. Money problems. Jeffery Archer retrieved most of these stories while he was in prison. I read the stories: The Alibi (favourite), The Greek Tragedy and the man who robbe ...more
Eman.
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
مع جيفري آرتشر تستطيع معرفة الفرق بين الرواية الناجحة ، والروائي الناجح ؟
الفرق بإن ما تمسك إي رواية لجيفري حتى تشدك إليها ...
هذا الكتاب لم يكن رواية بل كان قصص قصيرة واقعية نقلها جيفري أثناء فترة سجنه ،
لم أكن أتخيل انه حقًا لكل انسان حدث يمكن أن يتحول إلى قصة قصيرة ، وما أدهشني فعلًا أن هناك
أناس قد عاشوا حياتهم وملئوا أوقاتهم في التفكير والتخطيط للقيام بالغش و التلاعب و الإحتيال !
أناس أذكياء جدًا برغم أن مجرد وجودهم لا يمكن أن يثير الخوف أو الريبة بسبب
تصرفاتهم الشديد الدقة .. أبهرني حقًا مقدار
...more
Maram Alawad
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أحب كثيراً أسلوب جيفري وأعتقد أنه من ضمن أفضل من كتب في الرواية، قرأت له روايتين طويلتين بوقت قياسي وأعجبت بأسلوبه من حينها، وهاهو يثبت لي أنه بارع جدا في القصص القصيرة أيضاً،
وحدها كتب جيف تعيدُ إليّ رغبة الاستمتاع بالقراءة !

هذا الكتاب عبارة عن 12 قصة قصيرة، جمعها من "زملائه" في السجن، حيث كان سجينا لمدة عامين متنقلا من سجن لآخر، تجد فيها التخطيط والدهاء والإصرار والحظ الحسن، جيفري يحب قصة "عين المحب" والكثير اشادوا بقصة "الرجل الذي سرق مكتب بريده" أظنني أميل لقصة "لا تشرب الماء" ستستمتع بها جمي
...more
Abhishek
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of short stories; each depicting various facets of human nature like revenge, helplessness, greed etc.
Each story is unique and interesting and keeps the reader longing for more. The best of the lot is "The Wisdom of Solomon" where the twist is brought at the last moment and is entirely unexpected. Some other great stories are "The Man Who Robbed His Own Post Office", "Don't Drink the Water", "The Red King" and "The Maestro".
All in all a great book for enjoyable light reading.
rivka
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
3.5 stars

The second work I have read by this author, and definitely not the last! Fun and irreverent. Almost always a surprising twist at the end.

My only problem is with the title. Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories implies one of the stories is called "Cat O' Nine Tales" -- but there was none by that name (nor any likely candidates for having had that name but getting it changed).
Ram
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Just finished reading "Cat O' Nine Lives" an excellent collection of short stories by Jeffrey Archer in his inimitable narrative style, which is brilliant. "The Man who robbed his own post office', "Don't drink the water", "The commissioner" were some of the best tales, though in my opinion, all the stories were outstanding.
Plum-crazy
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
A reasonably entertaining series of short stories, the majority of which are based on tales told to Archer during his incarceration at Her Majesty's pleasure....although I think my favourite one was "The Wisdom of Solomon"/I>, which while apparently true, is not a "prison" tale.

Obalola Ibrahim
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Criminal Minds meet writer in prison. I like it but I'm not rereading it.
Nigeria was mentioned.
kumarjit
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had once come across an interview of Jeffry archer where he had expressed his love for cricket and how he admired Rahul Dravid’s batting. But that was my knowledge bound about the author whose name is ever so advertising in golden font among piles of paperbacks dominating the city bookstore racks. But surprisingly no one ever recommended or gifted me any of his work so on a lazy Sunday afternoon I casually picked up this book from my wife’s bag which she too had borrowed from someone and forgo ...more
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories, fiction
Archer is quite good at taking urban legends and fleshing them out into real stories. And I am quite a fan of stories with a twist at the end. I blame the teachers who started me out with Stories from the Twilight Zone and The Most Dangerous Game And Other Stories of Adventure and The Illustrated Man, although I suppose it could be all those horror comics I liked to read. At any rate, I love Archer's short stories, regardless of how well I already know the plot of them. I'm not very keen on his ...more
Donna
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a challenge read. Short stories are not my thing. Since I like Jeffrey Archer, I chose his short stories over anyone else's. I like more details with my reading. Short stories feel 'under'done to me, especially when they are good ones. It leaves me feeling like I want more.

I liked some of the stories in this book more than the others. The blip on the jacket says that some of these stories were inspired by the two years that the author spent in prison. So no surprise about the type of ch
...more
Tracy
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read one other short story by Jeffrey Archer that I really enjoyed. These short stories were clearly drawn from the days Mr. Archer himself was imprisoned and found himself face to face with some fascinating people.

Some of the stories were very enjoyable and others were so-so. A few of the stories I found to be a bit depressing. The lengths some people will go to for a buck instead of working an honest job! Only to have their life ruined...

The story telling is well done. I think I would li
...more
Ebthal
قرأت لجيفري أرتشر روايتين بالانجليزية واستمتعت استمتاع لا يوصف
في البداية حسيت اني مش حاسة أسلوب الكاتب بسبب الترجمة علي الرغم من دقتها وجمالها
لكن بعد كام فصل لقيت الصفحات بتقلب لوحدها
جميل أوي
قصص عن مجرمين اتعرف عليهم في السجن وأسباب دخولهم مش حياتهم في السجن لأن ده كتاب تاني
تجمع بين الطرافة والذكاء وبعضها فيه غباء
ازاي المجرم بيفكر في خطة وينفذها ويصبر عليها
لكن كلها طبعا انتهت بالفشل والقبض علي أصحابها علي الرغم من الذكاء والدقة
أكتر قصص عجبتني كانت:

لا يمكن أن يكون أكتوبر قد عاد بهذه السرعة
الملك ا
...more
Indah Threez Lestari
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, punya
1072 - 2012

Dasar penulis, dipenjara dua tahun malah dapat banyak inspirasi untuk menulis. Dengan mengabaikan penyebab Mr Archer masuk penjara, aku suka banget kumpulan cerpen yang sembilan di antaranya kisah nyata ini.

Covernya juga aku banget. Merah dengan sentuhan warna hitam si kucing.

Nggak sia-sia dapat buku ini di obralan Books & Beyond di IBF 2012!
Noora Alsuwaidi
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This my third time to read this book. I enjoyed it in this time more, These tales are rich and ends unexpectedly. Jeffery Archer is a real writer who can use words to carve his stories in your brain. A Good book from a good writer.
Natalie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book of stories all involving a con - some playful, some serious, all interesting to watch unfold. Archer knows how to spin a story. I must have missed who the overarching narrator was, but it was not necessary for the stories.
Manikanta Avinash
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I had high expectations due to A Quiver Full Of arrows...But I didn't find the stories that engaging though it maybe due to the fact that they are real life incidents...Still readable when you are lazy...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Veteran
  • A Rumpole Christmas
  • Instinct for Love: The MacGregor Brides / The Winning Hand
  • Detective
  • A Retrieved Reformation
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • 7 Secrets of the Goddess
  • تلك التفاصيل الصغيرة
  • Kekasih Sam Po Bo
  • SUMBAT
  • Milligan's Meaning of Life: An Autobiography of Sorts
  • Long Ride Home
  • The Balloon Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #12)
  • A Century of Great Suspense Stories
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • قلم بكرش
  • الشعب يريد إسقاط النظام
6,393 followers
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
...more
More about Jeffrey Archer

Fiction Deals

  • Echoes of Family
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Checking Out
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Outlaw
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Two Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Transit
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Class Mom
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Drawing Lessons
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bloom Girls
    $3.99 $1.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Island Beneath the Sea
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Petersburg
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Life is What You Make It: A Story of Love, Hope and How Determination Can Overcome Even Destiny
    $1.99 $0.99
  • As Good as True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Shall Be Near to You
    $9.99 $1.99
  • First Comes Love
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Last Telegram
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Spinning Heart: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Ocean Liner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
“إن أغلب الناس قد عاشوا حدثًا واحدًا على الأقل خلال حياتهم يعد حدثًا فريدًا حقًا، ويصلح تمامًا لصياغته في قصة قصيرة.” 22 likes
“إن الفارق الوحيد بين السيد النبيل و بين القرصان الحقيقي هو مع من يتقاسم كل منهما غنائمه” 7 likes
More quotes…