Start by marking “Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories

Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories

Ships from USA. Will take 25-35 days
Published June 12th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

Start your review of Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories
Shayantani
This book in itself is pretty decent. What is sad though is the fact that out of 12 stories, only the 9 which were inspired by real life incidents were worth reading. “Don’t Drink the Water” and “The Alibi” were my personal favorite. The complexity of the plot, the minute details and the pacing was brilliant. It is the kind of story that leaves you with a huge smile on your smile because you feel that your time has been well spent. The other 7 stories varied from very interesting, to fairly dece ...more
Kandice
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Man Who Robbed His Own Post Office" 5 stars
This is one of those tales that could have ended in about 5 spots. The difference with this one is that Archer acknowledges it! I think that’s infinitely clever. He tells a tricky little tale in which our anti-heroes have seemingly no choice except to do what they do, which is wrong, but...sometimes you can’t help it!

I genuinely liked Chris and Sue. They seemed to be upstanding people and had a terrifically ingrained sense of justice. They just had
Miriam Mathew
Jeffrey Archer's short stories are amazing. The best thing about them is that each story has that unusual quality about them that makes them unique. They're all extremely different and I like that a lot. Most short stories start to get a little repetitious after a while but Archer kept me turning the pages till the end.
Mark Soone
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
My rating is in actuality a 3.5 average..I just cannot justify giving this 4 stars so rounded down rather than up. 3.5 is more accurate based upon my reading, but 4 stars does not seem accurate. I love Jeffery Archer and consider him among the premier short story writers of our era. This collection however is not among his best short works that I have encountered. Don't get me wrong it is still a worthwhile read for Archer fans and short story enthusisats. The ironic thing is this collection con ...more
Cornelia
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Funny for these times..
Chris
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: deadbeats
Twelve stories, nine of which ‘Lord’ Archer takes the liberty of borrowing and embellishing from fellow inmates while in lockdown. That’s right, our beleaguered nobleman apparently found a way to fall from the lofty grace of membership in the ranks of Parliament to becoming just another scumbag perjurer doing time. While Archer claims to have some interesting turns of fate within the book’s tales, reality again trumps fiction when you consider that this guy was paid for helping to draft ineffect ...more
Sheila
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: family, friends & goodread members
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Shelves: jeffery-archer
As always Jeffrey Archer creates amazing stories. This is my first short stories each was entertaining, engrossing and hilarious. It is based on white collar crime. I could not put down this book it was so interesting and I would recommend to everyone. I say give it try you will not regret it.
Jenn : Godzilla is King
This was an entertaining read. some of the stories I got a laugh from but a couple of the others were a little boring. I found that Mr. Archer did tell a good story though in a few of them.
Cortney
IF you LOVE a book with some short stories right before bed, then this is for you!

IF you LOVE a book that has plot twists, then this one if surely for you!

If you just want something different and yet mildly refreshing, then this is absolutely for you!

IF you enjoy sitting around telling stories and tales with friends, THEN READ THIS!

This was fun before bed. A short story a night, but I really, really, REALLY like to get to know my characters and that is not feasible in this type of short story. Y
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Lord Archer wrote Cat O'Nine Tales during his time at HMP Belmarsh and Ford Open Prison. Some of the stories were works of fiction and other stories were told to Jeffrey by his fellow prisoners.

I enjoyed some of these stories more than others.

My favourite story was Don't drink the water, but I also enjoyed The Alibi and It can't be October all ready.

However I did not enjoy In the Eye of the Beholder because it was offensive to overweight people. Lord Archer is a won
Richa Bhattarai
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was okay, an almost-fun read.

I was actually rereading it, expecting something like ‘A Quiver Full of Arrows’, but this comes nowhere close. Some mildly surprising endings. Just made me hungry for Roald Dahl stories.
Alex
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to reading short stories, because it goes at a good pace throughout and it has steady flow so that i can keep up with what's happening! because i am a bit slow. After reading this book i didn't know what to think of it. It was a very mature read, and it refers to problems that is happening in society today. Money problems. Jeffery Archer retrieved most of these stories while he was in prison. I read the stories: The Alibi (favourite), The Greek Tragedy and the man who robbe ...more
Abhishek
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of short stories; each depicting various facets of human nature like revenge, helplessness, greed etc.
Each story is unique and interesting and keeps the reader longing for more. The best of the lot is "The Wisdom of Solomon" where the twist is brought at the last moment and is entirely unexpected. Some other great stories are "The Man Who Robbed His Own Post Office", "Don't Drink the Water", "The Red King" and "The Maestro".
All in all a great book for enjoyable light reading.
rivka
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it

The second work I have read by this author, and definitely not the last! Fun and irreverent. Almost always a surprising twist at the end.

My only problem is with the title. Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories implies one of the stories is called "Cat O' Nine Tales" -- but there was none by that name (nor any likely candidates for having had that name but getting it changed).
Ram
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Just finished reading "Cat O' Nine Lives" an excellent collection of short stories by Jeffrey Archer in his inimitable narrative style, which is brilliant. "The Man who robbed his own post office', "Don't drink the water", "The commissioner" were some of the best tales, though in my opinion, all the stories were outstanding.
Plum-crazy
A reasonably entertaining series of short stories, the majority of which are based on tales told to Archer during his incarceration at Her Majesty's pleasure....although I think my favourite one was "The Wisdom of Solomon"/I>, which while apparently true, is not a "prison" tale.

Akahayla
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adopted-books
It was REALLY good. Way better than I thought it would be TBH cause I've only read his novels and wasn't sure if Archer could be equally great in narrating short stories but apparently he is!

There were only a couple stories that didn't fascinate me much but the rest I'm in love with.

10/10 would recommend.
Hesther Van Gulick
That was surprisingly amusing!
Dinesh Kumar
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Not all the stories are good, the first three are good and some in the middle are good.
kumarjit
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had once come across an interview of Jeffry archer where he had expressed his love for cricket and how he admired Rahul Dravid’s batting. But that was my knowledge bound about the author whose name is ever so advertising in golden font among piles of paperbacks dominating the city bookstore racks. But surprisingly no one ever recommended or gifted me any of his work so on a lazy Sunday afternoon I casually picked up this book from my wife’s bag which she too had borrowed from someone and forgo ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories, fiction
Archer is quite good at taking urban legends and fleshing them out into real stories. And I am quite a fan of stories with a twist at the end. I blame the teachers who started me out with Stories from the Twilight Zone and The Most Dangerous Game And Other Stories of Adventure and The Illustrated Man, although I suppose it could be all those horror comics I liked to read. At any rate, I love Archer's short stories, regardless of how well I already know the plot of them. I'm not very keen on his ...more
Donna
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a challenge read. Short stories are not my thing. Since I like Jeffrey Archer, I chose his short stories over anyone else's. I like more details with my reading. Short stories feel 'under'done to me, especially when they are good ones. It leaves me feeling like I want more.

I liked some of the stories in this book more than the others. The blip on the jacket says that some of these stories were inspired by the two years that the author spent in prison. So no surprise about the type of ch
Tracy
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read one other short story by Jeffrey Archer that I really enjoyed. These short stories were clearly drawn from the days Mr. Archer himself was imprisoned and found himself face to face with some fascinating people.

Some of the stories were very enjoyable and others were so-so. A few of the stories I found to be a bit depressing. The lengths some people will go to for a buck instead of working an honest job! Only to have their life ruined...

The story telling is well done. I think I would li
Manikanta Avinash
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I had high expectations due to A Quiver Full Of arrows...But I didn't find the stories that engaging though it maybe due to the fact that they are real life incidents...Still readable when you are lazy...
Jenn
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved these short stories by Archer. He has such a way of spinning his tales. And I thought it was great that most of these were told to him when he was serving time in prison. If nothing, his time in prison aided his writing immensely!
Shruthi
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the collection of short stories is excellent. Jeffrey Archer's style of writing is beautiful. each story speaks its own words. worth a read ! ...more
Natalie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book of stories all involving a con - some playful, some serious, all interesting to watch unfold. Archer knows how to spin a story. I must have missed who the overarching narrator was, but it was not necessary for the stories.
Noora Alsuwaidi
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This my third time to read this book. I enjoyed it in this time more, These tales are rich and ends unexpectedly. Jeffery Archer is a real writer who can use words to carve his stories in your brain. A Good book from a good writer.
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey Archer is amazing with his short stories. I always love them and they are never what you think is going to happen
linah
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love it !
it really makes you think about little details and how much they mean ! the characters in some of the stories were amazingly smart !!

• No Comebacks
  • The Miracle
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • Jamie's 30-Minute Meals
  • Winter Garden
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married