Start by marking “Mama Zooms” as Want to Read:
Mama Zooms

Mama Zooms

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A boy's wonderful mama takes him zooming everywhere with her, because her wheelchair is a zooming machine.
Published December 1st 1995 by Scholastic (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Zooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Zooms

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, disability
This has been a fun book for our family. As soon as our son was born, we bought a copy. My wife uses an motorized wheelchair, and my son now has a little sister - so, while the story isn't a perfect match - it's still very similar to riding on mommy's zooming machine! My wife drops my son off at school and picks him up, using her wheelchair. They also ride the bus, go to the park, go out to eat, and do plenty of other activities on that "zooming machine"!

Written in 1993, the story seems a little
Evita LaQua
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exceptionalities

Student: Evita LaQua

Author: Jane Cowen -Fletcher
Book title: Mama Zooms

This book was about:

A story of a mother in a wheelchair who is doing imaginative play with her child.

The Featured character(s) in this book

mother
little boy

I liked or didn't like this book … provide reason pro/con

I liked this book because it is a fun,book which introduces young children to people with a disability, it shows both mother and son playing together by using their imagination.

State your reasons (why or why not) you
Luda Gogolushko
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so fun and sweet and exciting to read. I’d probably get this for my kid when the time comes and then we’d create our own Mama zooms story.
Elaine Savage
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Jane Crowen-Fletcher does something absolutely beautiful in this book by portraying the story of a child who's mother is in a wheelchair; however, that does not stop the two from living an abundant life. The son goes everywhere with his mother, as she is his race car, ship and airplane. She is all of those wonderful and mystical characteristics to him, but most importantly she is his mother. She has strong arms and a stronger heart. This an amazing story that I truly loved reading and will cheri ...more
Cindy Tucker
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in a wheelchair- spinal cord injury- and was introduced to this book through a friend. I read it to my daughter when she was preschool age and look forward to reading it to my granddaughter! It is excellent- it focuses on what a disabled mom can provide for her children which is so encouraging!
Melissa
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
In this book, a child has fun zooming with his mother. His mother is in a wheelchair, but this doesn't mean she can't have just as much fun as any other mom. This is a simple book that provides visibility for people with physical disabilities.

Instructional suggestions: theme, diversity, physical disabilities
Genres: realistic fiction
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
This story is about a child who does all kinds of special things with his mother who is in a wheelchair. Their relationship isn't impaired due to her handicap, which is a good lesson for children to learn.
Mindy
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has a great message, especially for young children learning about family members or friends with disabilities. Yes, all kids can learn from this book and it brings to light the fact that everyone has love and special abilities to offer.
Annburnett
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: skylar
Cute book about a little boy and his mom who is in a wheelchair and their adventures together.
Elizabeth Roe
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: Primary (K-3rd grade)
Reading level: AD750L
Genre: Picture Book

Main Characters: The boy, the mother, and the father
Setting: Various settings
POV: 1st person, from the young boy

This book follows a son and his mother, who is in a wheelchair. The book is written from the point of view of the son who calls his mother’s wheelchair her “zooming machine.” The boy describes all of his zooming adventures he takes on his mother’s lap. He imagines that she is a variety of things such as
Connie
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story about a boy spending his days with his mom, zooming here to there, playing make-believe the whole way. When she zooms him down a hall, he's a train conductor, that sort of thing.

His mother zooms him in her wheelchair, but that's only shown in the illustrations, not discussed. There is a mention that "we love ramps", but the fact is that able-bodied children love running up and down ramps too, it doesn't say explicitly "Because Mama can't get up the stairs".

This sort of pres
Megan Rowland
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mom
This is a book meant for children whose parents are handicap. The little boy uses his imagination while sitting on mama's lap. If you have a student in your class who has parents or relatives that are handicap, you can read this book to the whole class to ensure them that it is okay. They need to just be postive about it. All of the illustrations go along with the words well. It is a good book to paint a picture in a child's mind.
Alison
This is a very simple book featuring a little boy whose mother uses a wheelchair. The illustrations focus on the child and his mum, rather than the wheelchair, and he is in a position that all children can empathise with- sitting on her lap as they move around pretending to be planes, superheroes and racing cars. Recommended, especially for classes with a child who has a family member who is a wheelchair user.
Kia M.
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This is a very good book that I'm sure certain students could relate to, whether its them, their, parents, or a family memeber. Very sweet book when teaching your students on what makes people different. Eventhough the young girl's mother was in a wheelchair she still had fun, and loved her mother just the same. This is great to show your students that things can be done differently.
Yara
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely picture book, with short sentences. It shows all the things a child does with his Mother whilst shes in her wheelchair. Promoting equal opportunities and showing that all Mama's are not the same.
Hunca Munca
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have used this wonderful book with kids and adults of all ages! It is a wonderful book about a little boy and his mama and how they turn her wheelchair into a joyful thing that allows them to zoom together all day long!
ReadingWench
This is a great book. It will help children accept others who are different. It teaches that even if you are in a wheelchair, you can have fun. The illustrations are fun, soft and timeless.

AR 1.9
Michele
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A children's book, heavy on photos and short on words. Good for 1-4 year olds. I bought this as part of project for work. An absolute must for a diverse library in a church, preschool, daycare type setting.
Rebecca RDG 3320
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute little story to share with your class. It is about a mom that is in a wheelchair. You can have your class respond about how they felt about the book and write something special about their mom.
Mary
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute book for little kids
Jorden
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is wonderful to talk about disabilities in the classroom. It can be used at home or in the class and can help children understand that people with disabilities are still the same.
Ariel Rudicel
Cute way to show how kid's parents are all different and also show that wheelchairs and other disability instruments won't hold people back.
Buxmont Uu
Apr 02, 2013 added it
Shelves: wamwao
WAMWAO Session 25
Ali Werner
This book is about a young boy and his mother who is handicap. She uses her wheelchair to create imagination with her son. Such as an airplane, and race car, and spaceship.
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-favorites
Such a great book where imagination and a child's relationship with their mother is central!!
Katie
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emma-books
My daughter is currently on a Llama Llama kick and this book may have broken it. She loves it and wants it again and again. Was given this book at a kids literacy and movement class. Fantastic.
Angelina
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for wee ones featuring a mother in a wheelchair. Great book to feature others with disabilities!
Readtolive
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites growing up, the special bond between the mother and the child is amazingly apparent here.. His safety in her arms is priceless, the whole book actually is one special experience
Kaitlin
This is a great book to show kids that all of their parents are great the way they are. Every child will have different families and this book encourages them to be proud of them.
Tynisha Thompkins
A good book to get your students to accept EVERYONE (especially students who may be physically and/or mentally disable).
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The creator of the best-selling BABY ANGELS and, more recently, the illustrator of I LOVE YOU BABY, FROM HEAD TO TOE!, Jane Cowen-Fletcher lives in South Berwick, Maine, with her husband and two children. When she's not writing and illustrating children's books, she like to "read, read, read--especially children's books (big surprise!)," hang out in libraries, draw, and entertain. "I also absolute ...more