Start by marking “Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone” as Want to Read:
Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone

Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone

(Sir Cumference #4)

King Arthur has issued a challenge. The first knight to find the sword Edgecalibur will be the next king. Join Sir Cumference, Lady Di of Ameter, and their son, Radius, as they race to help their friend, Vertex, find the sword and discover the secrets of cubes, pyramids, cylinders, and cones.
Published July 1st 2003 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone

Kelley
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The character names alone- "sir cumference" "lady di ameter" and their son "radius" are HILARIOUS! This truly is an adventure in math and other elementary school children will love this! It makes math fun to read a story to figure out something like this, with three dimensional shapes and formulas. I also like that the author explains the real life connection to math (the history/explanation of the formula of this story) on the last page. The story is kind of hard to follow along with unless you ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
More like Sir Barely-Appearing-In-This-Book.

This review was oringinally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/sir-cumfe....

What even is this? This book is just weird. And apparently it's the fourth one in a series that are all about Sir Cumference. And the title is misleading, because Sir Cumference isn't really all that important to the story, it's more about his son Radius's best friend Vertex.

The family is sitting at a table, eating or something, and Vertex runs in, saying that King Arthur
Karen
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Ellie and mom rates 4 stars, Jacob 3 stars. Read for CC2...krb 10/3/16
Mary
Sir Cumference is a series of entertaining, clever, and imaginative medieval fantasy tales set in a world full of fun geometry-based names and lands. The reader follows the adventure of each book and discovers new math concepts along with the knights and ladies in the stories - and sometimes dragons. I've always loved a good picture book, and I still do - and these books are a wonderful example of a quality picture book. I've enjoyed Sir Cumference immensely in both childhood and adulthood.

Each
Cruth
Author: Cindy Neuschwander
Illustrator: Wayne Geehan
First published: 2003
Length: 32 pages

More complex maths than earlier books.

Measurements in feet and inches.

Geometry, 3D shapes
~ define edges, points, faces, vertex, polyhedron
~ defines cube, pyramid, rectangular prism, triangular prism, cone, cylinder

Euler's Law: the number of faces + number of vertices - number of edges = 2 for any polyhedron.

Sir Cumference:
Book 1 Sir Cumference and the First Round Table
Book 2 Sir Cumference and the Dragon of P
Luisa Knight
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Sir Cumference books are great! Add a little action to your math by learning about geometric solids.

Ages: 9+

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Whole And
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous math adventure with castles and swords, oh my! This time, covering cones, diatmeter, Euler's law of the 'two's test', vertices and more. We can't get enough of these fun, memorable and educational adventures.

Tammy
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
Not as good as the first three in the series, however it is cute. Middle School level 6th grade and 7th grade would be a good target audience in my opinion.
Rachel
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Not much math in this one. It's a bit bland, funny mostly because of math puns rather than anything 'right' with the plot, setting or characters.
Maggie Mattmiller
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great Goodwill find! Will share with my math specialist, but will also share with my students! It is pretty wordy, and a long story for a math lesson my (elementary) students probably won't need to apply, but definitely could figure out! Would be a fun activity building up to certain points of the story, then let them play around a bit. (Can give them shapes and let them count faces, edges, etc. and do the math. Let them discover Euler's Law! Can also let them play around with heights ...more
Dolly
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We discovered these books about Sir Cumference on the "Tumblebooks" online audiobook site (http://tumblebooks.com), which is available for free as one of the online resources from our local library. Our girls really enjoyed watching them read aloud.

Although I think the math concepts regarding geometry are a little more difficult to understand for children in grades K-2, I think it was a valuable way to introduce the concepts.

Because the story itself is fun, it makes the educational focus of th
Ruth Ann
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, math
Vertex and Radius use the clues to find a hidden sword. There is word play and adventure, as well as geometry on the way.

Readers are introduced to Euler's Law, or the two's test for geometrical solids. Anytime the number of faces on a geometric sold is added to the number of its points (vertices) and then subtracted from the number of edges, the answer will always be two. (note that this works for any polyhedron, straight-sided, solid shape).

I think this book would be most meaningful for readers
Angela
Best for kids ages 6 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Sir Cumference is back and he's not alone, helping Sir Vertex seek the sword in the cone.
King Artur has hidden his sword, Edgecalibur. The knight who finds it will be the next king.
Can Sir Cumference and Lady Di point Vertex in the right direction? Will Vertex's sharp thinking give him the edge?

Another math adventure with Sir Cumference and his family with this nicely illustrated story about shapes.
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once again, this series is amazing to introduce mathematical terms to elementary students. As I read this book it helped to jog my memory about several math concepts I'd honestly forgot! This could be a great activating strategy in discussing shapes (cones in this case) and understanding the characteristics of 3-D shapes. Students could build their own cities using 3-D shapes the class is learning about (i.e. cubes, cones, spheres, etc). Fun book!!
RLL52013_NicoleHill
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun picture book that takes an informational topic and turns it into an adventure. In this book, Sir Cumference must use his knowledge of geometric shapes to find King Arthur's sword, Edgecalibur. This book presents information about the "two's test" for geometric solids using the number of faces, edges, and vertices. This book presents mathematical information in a nonthreatening way. It also has beautiful illustrations.
Stephanie
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-306
I love love love this book! It incorporates mathematics into a fairy tale. The names of characters are names that represent academic language used in mathematics and the entire story refers to shapes and how they are used around us. Great for getting students to think about mathematics all around them.
Shelli
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
Maybe starting off reading the 6th math adventure in the Sir Cumference series wasn't the best place begin. I appreciated the use of math terms such as: face, points, edges, cylinder and more; but found the math solving pace to be faster than most readers would be able to follow. This would be fun book to create a lesson around for any geometry class though.
Janette
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This whole book is just full of wonderful math puns. I love King Arthur stories, anything with knights really, and the story was fun to read and watch the events unfold. It also nicely incorporated math and made math interesting and engaging. I know lots of kids have a hard time keeping focus when it comes to math, so this story is a great way for kids to enjoy math.
Lyndsey Hurm
I love these funny and creative books about math! This one specifically talks about volume of prisms. I would definitely use this book while teaching about these concepts. I could also talk about crafting techniques in writing because these Sir Cumference books use a lot of fun word play. The author does a great job of also relating math to real life.
Shannon
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Weird paving aside (you'll see), this is a fun little story to illustrate Euler's Law, which states that if you add the number of faces on a geometric solid to the number of its points (vertices) and then subtract the number of its edges, the answer will always be two. This book shows that this law works for any STRAIGHT-Sided solid shape. It does not apply to cones and cylinders.
Megan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a clever, engaging way to introduce (or remind) students about shapes and geometry. I would definitely use this as a mini-lesson to start off a rotation of centers. One of the centers could use 3D shapes to build a city. Having the students record what shapes they used is a great way to assess their knowledge and understanding.
Sharia A.
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is about Radius and Vertex. In the story Sir Cumference and Lady Di point Vertex send out a presidental message. The first knoght that finds the sword will be the next king. The two knights go on a jounry to find the sword. The story shows them how they used measurements and shapes to find the swords. This book would be used for an older group of children.
Julie Suzanne
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: math, picture-books
Same clever humor, but this one didn't seem to teach anything useful for practical application. It showed us that "if you add the number of faces on a geometric solid to the number of its points (vertices) and then subtract the number of its edges, the answer will always be two. It works for any polyhedron..."
Yeah, but who cares?
Jeff
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure of Sir Cumference, this book gives an introduction to three-dimensional solids from nets to the connections between bases and heights of cones. In this one, Vertex the cousin of Radius mimics the King Arthur story by finding the sword Edgecalibur hidden not in a stone, but a cone. Fun!
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Story goes over solid figures and the nets that make them. The number of faces, edges, and points are described. Fun way to teach Euler's Law. Takes place during medieval times.

6th Grade Common Core Standards:
Geometry
6.G.4

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Libraries*
Katy Houseman
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delightful book to help introduce geometry to students. This book retells the story "The Sword in the Stone". In the story the students will follow Sir Cumference and Lady Di of Ameter as their son Radius and his friend Vertex set out to find Edgecalibur.
Raenuka Mallikarjun
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Sir Cumference goes on adventure to find the sword Edgecalibur. After being read Sir Cumference and the First round I thought that these books are a really good way for students to remember definitions in math. The series is really cute.
Jeremiah
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
If you're math allergic like me, then this is the only way to learn math, read a cool story and have fun! These stories are very clever and they teach while entertaining kids. I and my children haven't read all of Neuschwander's books , but we will.
Alysia
fun and clever! The stories in this series put kids in the middle of a math adventure and introduce concepts that help them to figure out the solution to the scenario in the story. My boys love knights so this was extra fun for them.
Devin
Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This was good to teach about cones, and formulas to find the area of a cone.
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • The Goblin and the Empty Chair
  • Anno's Magic Seeds
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • A Remainder of One
  • The Sunflower Sword
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • Life of Fred: Apples
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Crickwing
  • Ladder To The Moon
  • Full House: An Invitation to Fractions
Cindy Neuschwander is a native Californian, born in San Diego, CA. Her father was a naval officer and later a high school teacher and her mother was a homemaker. She has one younger brother.

Cindy graduated with a BA in International Studies from Willamette University and earned an MA from Stanford University. She has taught all grades in elementary school as well as high school.

Cindy began writing

Sir Cumference (10 books)
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure
  • Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi
  • Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland
  • Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter
  • Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map (Charlesbridge Math Adventures)
  • Sir Cumference and the Off-the-Charts Dessert