Start by marking “Zoom” as Want to Read:
Zoom

Zoom (Zoom)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  2,551 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
As seen on the SERIAL podcast, season 2, episode 1 ("Dustwun")!

Open this wordless book and zoom from a farm to a ship to a city street to a desert island. But if you think you know where you are, guess again. For nothing is ever as it seems in Istvan Banyai's sleek, mysterious landscapes of pictures within pictures, which will tease and delight readers of all ages.

"This b
Published July 1st 1998 by Puffin Books (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Zoom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoom

Lisa Vegan
May 07, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fans of clever wordless picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Crystal Marcos
Oh, I just loved this. It should maybe be called “Zoom Out” because the frames start off close up in full zoom mode and work outward. I love how as a reader I kept thinking I knew “where I was” and kept being shown otherwise, and I enjoyed how with 2 or 3 pages I had to look at them 2 or 3 times, and not just once, to figure out what was going on.

This is a very clever picture book. It’s a wonderful springboard for discussing perspective and perception, and terrific for pre-readers to be able to
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
It's books like these- the ones I read as a child- that really helped shape the person I am today. The Phantom Tollbooth also falls into this category, and whereas that one built a foundation for my love of knowledge, language, and reading, this one helped to form inside me a love of the unknown, as well as a mind that's always trying to see the bigger picture.

As for the book- well, everything you need to know is in the title. It's a series of images that zoom out more and more, revealing that
Crystal Marcos
May 05, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing
I am very impressed with this wordless picture book! I read both Zoom and the follow up book Re-Zoom back to back. I enjoyed the experience. The illustrations worked well with the concept of the book. I had to show this to my husband when I was done. He is sort of getting into photography, so I thought he would appreciate the zooming aspect of the story. I enjoyed it all over again with him. My 23 month old daughter really liked the way I read these books to her. I sang a tune as I went along ad ...more
Dani K.
Sep 30, 2013 Dani K. rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Zoom is a wordless picture book that defies the familiar conventions of storytelling in favor of a playful critique of individual perspective. The reader begins the experience by opening to a rather plain title page that contains the title, the author/illustrator’s names, and the publisher against a black background. The only other image on the page is the white outline of a pencil that seems to hover against the darkness, a shadow image in the depths of space.

From there, the book comes to a ser
Terry
Sep 17, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to this fine book by the principal of my loving son's elementary school when I was a volunteer there. She--the principal--pushed it into my hands one day when I stormed into her office..... "Here, read this while I finish up something...." This was her tactic for anyone who stormed into her office....typically an upset parent or frazzled teacher. As she--the principal--explained to me, by the time you finish 'reading' this book, whatever was upsetting you seems to have vanished ...more
Scarlett
Aug 01, 2007 Scarlett rated it it was amazing
such a simple profound little book to remind young and old alike what widening our perceptions provides in the way of possibilities! my favorite book to give as a gift.
Anastasia Hutson
Apr 08, 2017 Anastasia Hutson rated it it was amazing
Zoom
Review by Anastasia Hutson
Zoom by Istvan Banyai is a wordless picture book that continually entices its readers to wonder what is on the next page. The beginning of the book is a close up image of a chicken comb and page by page the images zoom out, showing more of its surroundings. Just when the reader thinks that the image is complete they turn the page to see even more of the story around the initial image. I enjoyed the book because it kept be guessing and wondering what possibly could b
Kaetlin V
Feb 11, 2017 Kaetlin V rated it really liked it
Zoom by Istvan Banyai is a wordless picturebook that is a series of pictures that start very close-up and then zoom out. The first picture starts with an up close red object, which we find out is a rooster on the next picture. It then zooms out to two children looking at the rooster and then the house and town they are in. We then find out that this town is actually a model that a girl is playing with on a magazine cover. This pattern continues for the rest of book playing on the idea.

I was draw
Andrea
Sep 26, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This wordless picture book starts with an image and continues to "zoom" out, showing that what you see could turn into something else completely.

It is incredible how engaging a wordless picture book can be. Typically, when I think of this type of genre, it is for very young readers who cannot read words. However, this book is an exception! It would take a little bit of an older student to be able to follow the plot line and read the pictures in order. It could be used in the classroom for predic
Carolynne
Oct 12, 2009 Carolynne rated it liked it
Each illustration in this wordless picture book cleverly zooms out from the previous one, from a rooster in a (toy) henhouse to the earth in space. The illustrations themselves are not particularly distinguished, but the concept and execution makes the book above average. Each picture forces the "readers" to rethink what they are seeing, and there are many surprises along the way. This would be good for encouraging students to think outside the box and to view things with a fresh perception. The ...more
Michelle Gibson
Really enjoyed this wordless picture book, each pages zooms out from the last picture to reveal a bigger picture with more detail. I can see the fun and creative potential for children to make their own 'Zoom' book focussing on their life and experiences that they have had, this could be through English or Art.

Cross Curricular Links:
- English, Describing each photo, Children to make their own 'zoom' books about their lives.
- Science, Discovering the earth, planets and stars.
- Geography, Count
Rebecca Collins
One of my favourite wordless picture books! I love how you do not expect what is going to be on the next page and how it all fits together perfectly. This book could be used with any age group in my opinion, as even those who are in EYFS could interpret what is happening in some of the pictures. This also really highlights why books like this should appear within libraries, because it teaches so much about the world and different societies and cultures; additionally so many NC links could be mad ...more
Tahira Hamilton
Aug 19, 2008 Tahira Hamilton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes art!!
This is a picture book with no words. This book shows one picture on each page that is connected to the picture before it. I would use this book to help teach an art lesson or a science lesson. Student's could get neat ideas from this book on projects they could make in an art class. This book could also be used to start a science discussion on how everything in life is connected and effcts ech other.
Katy
Jan 06, 2016 Katy added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Sarah Koenig made me read it...

This book was referenced in Season 2 of Serial. I am not enjoying this season as much as the first, but I loved the comparison to this well done and fun picture book - nothing is as it seems until you get further and further away and in to a larger story!
Megan Smith
Oct 11, 2016 Megan Smith rated it it was amazing
Perfection.
ABC
This is a cool wordless book. For all ages. Nothing is as it seems....(cue Twilight Zone music.)
Sherri
Aug 22, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harding15-16
I plan on using this amazing wordless book with my 7th graders to review sequencing.
Terry Cross
Istvan Banyai's illustrations provide a marvelous demonstration of perspective from front to back and back to front.
Starting up close on an indistinguishable object, by turning the page you come to see you are looking at a crown on top of rooster's head. By the turn of a few more pages you find yourself looking on an advertisement on the side of a bus which turns out to be on a postage stamp, and the stamp is on a letter. And so it goes with each page turn a new discovery of place in relation to
Am.Aversa
Feb 15, 2017 Am.Aversa rated it really liked it
I would use this book to show students that there is a lot going on in the world and that things are bigger than them. An activity for this book could be to have students write a story to the pictures.
Genre: Wordless picture book
Kristine
Title: Zoom

Author: Istvan Banyai

Illustrator:

Genre: Wordless picture book

Theme: Discovery, travel

Opening line/sentence:

Brief Book Summary: In this wordless picture book you explore places from the city streets to the dessert island. There are pictures within pictures on this adventure for you to discover where you are.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Carolyn Phelan (Booklist, February 01, 1995 (Vol. 91, No. 11))
Beginning with a close-up of a rooster's comb, each picture zooms out to give
Brooke King
This book would be under the fictions genre which means that it is not a real story. I would consider it realistic fiction as I thought of the story as someone seeing the world and noticing all of the little things. I believe that the target audience for wordless books such as this would be young children such as kindergarteners because these books allow them to create their own story.
Text connections
1. Text to self: The story that I saw reminded me of when I was younger and would imagine all
Nicole Raabe
Feb 27, 2017 Nicole Raabe rated it it was amazing
1) No awards

2) Age: 5-8 years old

3) Summary: This book starts out with a close up with a rooster, and then zooms out from there changing perspectives. The farther along the book gets, the more zoomed out the angle is. For example, it changes from magazine cover, to a postcard, to a bus ad in a busy city, to a post card, and continues until it shows a picture of planet earth.

4) Review: This book was very entertaining and exciting. Its changing perspectives and zooming out represents the bigger pi
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 03, 2017 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Keeps zooming out to get a wider and wider view.

A bit unrealistic in that there's no way the poster on the bus would have the resolution for you to be able to see the detail you zoom up from.

Nice to talk about point of view/perspective, orders of magnitude, magnification, etc.
Michelle Hessler
In the book Zoom by Istvan Banyai, readers are taken through a journey. This journey although short is full of amazing illustrations that tell a story. One that guides you through amazing places all connected somehow. It is impossible to know what will be on the next page, and the amazing connection the illustrator will make. His illustrations flow so effortlessly from one to the next and in flipping the page the story continuously unfolds before your eyes. I can remember reading this book when ...more
Renee Parrish
Feb 13, 2016 Renee Parrish rated it it was amazing
Zoom (1995) by Istvan Banyai, Pictures by Istvan Banyai, Fiction

This book has no text in the story at all. It is a circle story that takes the reader on an adventure through pictures. It begins with a picture of the top of a rooster's head and ends with a view of the earth as seen from outer space. Each page is new and interesting as the reader flips through the pages absorbing more and more of what is actually happening. After viewing what is taking place on one page, the author leads the reade
Cristina
Mar 14, 2016 Cristina rated it it was amazing
a. Summary: The story began with a close up image of something, then once you turn the page you could see it zoomed out a little to see the rooster. There are two children looking at the rooster, but when we zoom out more on the next pages we find they are farm and people toys that a girl is playing with. We come to find this is a picture cover of a magazine of a boy who is asleep on a cruise, zooming more and more out. The cruise just so happens to be a poster on a bus, which is really on the t ...more
Leigh Perry
Sep 30, 2015 Leigh Perry rated it really liked it
ZOOM by Istvan Banyai is a book that takes readers on an interesting and fun journey. It allows readers to zoom in and zoom out of the story and images and try to figure out what they are seeing and once readers think they know what they see, they have to guess again because nothing is as it seems and there’s nothing readers can do but hang on and enjoy the story.
This is a vertically oriented picturebook. The jacket cover and book covers are dark orange, yellow, and black. These colors are inte
Bryn
Aug 26, 2008 Bryn rated it liked it
Emily Nunez-Eddy
Oct 04, 2014 Emily Nunez-Eddy rated it it was amazing
Istvan Banyai excels in his beautifully-crafted wordless picture book, “ZOOM”. Beginning with the crown of a rooster, the reader slowly zooms out of the picture, experiencing a farmhouse, a cruise ship, a big city, a desert, an island, an airplane ride, and eventually, outer space in an intricately planned adventure. Banyai uses magnificent illustrations and surprising scenes to create a picture book that zooms far beyond it’s pictures.
“ZOOM” uses bright, vivid colors and intricate details tha
Traci
Sep 20, 2011 Traci rated it really liked it
Zoom by Istvan Banyai is quite an interesting book to go through. There are no words at all, the reader is left only with brilliant pictures and left wondering what will be on the next page. It starts zoomed in on a rooster and ends up as Earth being a tiny dot on a black page. It's difficult to provide a summary for this book; it's left up to a curious reader to go through the book for themselves to discover what this book is truly about.

The cover is simply red, drawing the eyes right to the co
  • Rainstorm