Jump to ratings and reviews

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #10

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built: More from the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series

The 10th! instalment in this infinitely enjoyable series finds the ever-charming, ever-resourceful Mma Ramostwe helping people, and vans, with problems in their lives.

Mma Ramotswe’s tiny white van has developed a disturbing noise. But having made numerous repairs to the van over the years, Mr J.L.B. Matekoni – her estimable husband and mechanic nonpareil – sells it without telling her and presents her with a new, characterless vehicle. So Mma Ramotswe sets out to recover the van. . . .

In the meantime, the thoroughly unpleasant, yet glamorous, Violet Sephotho (who earned 50 percent, at most!, in the final examinations of the Botswana Secretarial College) gets herself a job at the Double Comfort Furniture Store. Why? The reason is obvious: to make a play for Mma Makutsi’s fiancé, Mr Phuti Radiphuti.

And a proprietor of a local football team has enlisted the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency to help explain their dreadful losing streak: surely someone is fixing the games – it can’t just be a case of unskilled players . . . This is a job for Charlie, ever-apprentice at the Speedy Motors, to sniff out the competence of the players, as an assistant detective. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

240 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Alexander McCall Smith

460 books11.3k followers
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what is now known as Zimbabwe and he was a law professor at the University of Botswana. He lives in Scotland. Visit him online at www.alexandermccallsmith.com, on Facebook, and on Twitter.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
310 (1%)
1 star
65 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,694 reviews
Profile Image for Barbara.
1,296 reviews4,826 followers
November 5, 2021

In this 10th book in the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series, Mma Ramotswe - owner of the agency in Gabarone, Botswana - has a vexing problem. Her beloved tiny white van is making ominous noises. And Mma Ramotswe's afraid her husband, the dedicated mechanic Mr. JLB Matekonii, will scrap the old van if she tells him.

Mma Ramotswe's car problems prey on her mind as she looks into the case of the losing football (soccer) team. Rra Molofololo, the team owner, is convinced a traitorous player is throwing games. Mma Ramotswe - out of her depth since she knows nothing about football - nevertheless agrees to try to unearth the culprit. Thus the detective goes to a football game, talks to the team members, listens to players blame each other, and so on - all the time pondering the hold sports have on 'boys' of all ages.

Meanwhile, assistant detective Mma Makutsi is worried about losing her fiancé, Phuti Rhadiputi - owner of many cattle and The Double Comfort Furniture Store.

The problem: glamorous vamp Violet Sephotho has wangled a job at the furniture shop and Mma Makutsi thinks Violet will try to get her claws into Phuti. And sneaky Violet plans to do exactly that.

The usual recurring characters make an appearance in the story, including Mma Potokwane, manager of the orphan farm and baker of delicious fruit cakes; and apprentice mechanics Charlie and Fanwell. In fact, Fanwell is especially helpful to Mma Ramotswe in this book, and the detective visits Fanwell's tiny house and meets the array of relatives he supports with his small salary.

As always in this charming series many cups of bush tea are drunk, the ladies engage in entertaining conversations, and Mma Makutsi boldly expresses her strong, amusing (and often wrongheaded) opinions about everything. Moreover, the reader gets a peek at the gentle culture of Botswana, which seems like a very nice place to live.

I'd highly recommend this book to fans of quiet cozy mysteries.

You can follow my reviews at http://reviewsbybarbsaffer.blogspot.com/
Profile Image for Darla.
3,140 reviews448 followers
March 12, 2022
Our two ladies have the opportunity to learn more about football in this installment. A team owner comes to the agency to ask for help in determining how his team went from winning to losing. Also, Grace Makutsi's nemesis, Violet, gets a job working at Phuti's store. Grace gets so upset that she needs retail therapy and buys yet another new pair of shoes. I do think her conversations with her shoes can be quite amusing and balanced out quite well in this story. Mma Ramotswe's van is acting up and she tries to walk to work more frequently to save wear and tear on her beloved van. It may be too late. I inadvertently skipped over this chapter in the series and that explains why "the little white van" was still functioning in Book #9 and then seemed to suddenly be gone in #11. Fortunately I realized my error and I am now up to speed on what happened to the van. This series continues to be quietly consistent and an excellent companion when I am walking my dog or doing work around the house. Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Laura.
734 reviews265 followers
January 31, 2021
Fourth review:
I'm running out of words to describe what this series and these characters mean to me. If you are coming to this series for the first time, I'd recommend starting with the second book, Tears of the Giraffe, which is much more like a novel than the first book, which is more like a collection of short stories. Then when you are finished with the series, read the first book just to fill in a chink or two from the picture.

Each book functions as a standalone in a way, but imo this series is best experienced by reading them in order, and getting to know the characters as new ones are added and relationships established. You won't miss anything by skipping the first one that the second book doesn't summarize at the outset.

Alexander McCall Smith is himself a modern classic, and the world is a better place because of him and his books.

Lisette Lecat is the perfect narrator for these audiobooks, and she reads every single book in the series to-date. The series is still being written.

I guarantee smiles and laughter and a touch of feminism in the best way whenever you pick up a book in this series.
<><><

Third review:
This is a brilliant series. I just love that Mma Ramotswe's "tiny white van" almost could be a character in many of the books. The main case in this novel involves football/soccer, which isn't my favorite topic, but happily, the case sits offstage for more than half the story. There's lots of drama for Mma Makutski involving the main "bad guy" of the series, Violet Sepotho. And yes, the tiny white van plays a major role in this story too.

If you want a smile and a bit of another culture, you can't go wrong with any book in this series. I highly recommend the audiobooks as well - most of those are actually imo better than the paper books. Lisette Lecat reads men and women equally well, she narrates the entire series, and so she really understands these characters and captures their personalities so well in her reading. I can't emphasize enough what a great idea it is to *listen* to this entire series.

Second review:
I'm not sure what I can say about any book in this series that I've not already said. If Botswana weren't an extremely hot and dry place, I'd want to move there, if the author represents it accurately. Civility rules! Is everyone kind? No, but people treat each other with dignity and civility.

The world could learn a lot from Mma Ramotswe. She feels so real to me. Her assistant is a little more plucky but I may love her even more. She makes me laugh. I also really enjoyed getting to know Fanwell more in this volume.

The stories are always interesting, but it's the characters and setting that shine in this series. You come to know these characters so well, and though they may not all be favorites, there is something to love about every one of them.

Audiobook listeners will love this series, as each volume is narrated by the magnificent Lisette Lecat. She does each voice, male and female, convincingly, and adds another layer of excellence to this series. Bravo! Long live AMS and Lecat!

Really looking forward to the 18th volume of this series next month. Until then, on to the next!

First review:
I just love this series. They're all good, filled with wisdom.
Profile Image for  I am what I read.
1,436 reviews126 followers
June 22, 2017
I love this series, and am a huge fan of McCall Smith.
Though the events take place in a detective agency, this series is as far away from murder and hard crime as any detective book can be.
Mma Ramotswe and her assistant, Mma Makutsi, form an unlikely pair of female detectives, who specialise in solving peculiar mysteries.
This time, Molofololo, the football tycoon engages the team to find out why his team is losing out every time, even to weak rivals. He suspects a mole in the team , and it is Precious Ramotswe's job to find out the culprit. Though not even remotely a football fan, she is forced to learn the ABC of football with the help of her young son, Puso and is soon interviewing the players with the help of Makutsi. But when the solution is reached at, it is quite a simple and astonishing one.
In between I got a glimpse of Botswana life, and Precious Ramotswe's day to day affairs, and I could also peek into the garage owned by her husband, Mr. JLB Matekoni.
The best thing about this book and the whole series is the subtle humor and the simple language.
How I adore such books!
Would have given full 5 stars, but for the silly solution to the mystery.
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 27 books5,588 followers
August 28, 2021
This book had my favorite exchange of ALL TIME in one of these books:

"Mr. Sherlock Holmes would approve of this method!"
"I do not know Rra Holmes?"
"He lives over that way." Mma Ramotswe gestured in the direction of the road, to indicate London, England. "But sadly he is late."

Oh, Mma Ramotswe, never change! With your love of Clovis Anderson's book of detecting skills, as well as your own ability to get people to talk about their problems, you are truly a gem!
Profile Image for Sandy.
276 reviews4 followers
October 19, 2015
I really enjoy this series of books. I like the descriptions, the slow pace, the thoughtfulness, etc. And the stories are always interesting. There were lots of quotes I found interesting as well...

In thinking about her childhood, Mma Ramotswe pondered "arithmetic, with its puzzling multiplication tables that needed to be learned by heart--when there was so much else that the heart had to learn." (pg. 4)

As Mma Ramotswe looked up at her acacia tree and thought about how there could be a snake in the tree, she decided that the best way to deal with them was "not to deal with them...If we left snakes alone, then they kept away from us. It was only when we intruded on their world that they bit us, and who could blame them for that? It was the same with life in general, thought Mma Ramotswe. If we worried away at troublesome issues, we often only ended up making things worse. It was far better to let things sort themselves out." (pg. 18) This reminds me of advice from Dale Carnegie's book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living". To paraphrase, he stated that if we could do something about a problem that was bothering us, then we should do something! If there was nothing we could do, then we should figure out what would be the worst possible thing that might happen, reconcile ourselves to it and then quit worrying. Chances were that whatever happened wouldn't be as bad as it could have been.

When Fanwell talks to Mma Ramotswe about her van, which is on its last legs, he asks her if she has spoken to her husband about it. He says there is nothing her husband can not fix. She sighs and thinks to herself that "he was right to say that there was nothing that Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni could not fix, but that was not the same thing as saying that there was nothing that he would not fix." (pg. 59) I had to laugh at that. My mother was very impressed with my husband, Bart, and used to say that there was nothing that Bart couldn't do if he set his mind to it. (I often repeat this, but add emphasis to the "set his mind to it" part which, to me, is the crux of the matter.)

Another thought, not unlike the earlier one I mentioned about the snakes, was when Mma Ramotswe was walking and thought "the blister had stopped troubling her; it had burst, she thought, and walking was comfortable again. If only all our troubles were like that; and perhaps they were. Perhaps the trick was to do what was necessary to deal with them, to put a plaster on them and then forget that they were there." (pg. 61)

And on a similar note--"When there is nothing you can do to stop the march of adverse events, then the best thing, she felt, was to get on with life and not to worry." (pg. 99)

And some quotes on a variety of topics--

"'Everyone needs a hobby,'said Mma Ramotswe. 'Particularly men. They need hobbies because they do not have enough to do. We women always have too much to do and do not have to spend our time watching football or playing with...collecting model aeroplanes." (pg. 76)

"She knew it was not always easy for women in such places, where the easy companionship of the village had been replaced by the comparative anonymity of the town. Such a woman might spend much of the day without any contact with other women--an unnatural state of affairs. We are born to talk to other people, she thought; we are born to be sociable and to sit together with others in the shade of an acacia tree and talk about things that happened the day before. We were not born to sit in kitchens by ourselves, with no body to chat to." (pg. 127)

"A middle-aged couple, visitors wearing large floppy hats, sat at a table poring over a tourist guide. Mma Makutsi smiled; so many people read these guides when they might have been looking around them and seeing the place they were reading about. It was the same with cameras; visitors spent so much time peering through the viewfinders of their cameras that they never looked at the country they were photographing." (pg. 165) Reminds me of when Michael and I went to Sea World and he video taped the killer whale show, but to one extent missed seeing it except through the tiny black and white viewfinder.

And a funny one... Mma Makutsi is worried about losing her fiancee to another woman and asks "What if she succeeds in making him fonder of her? What then? He is a good man, but even a good man can fall for a glamorous woman. That is well known.

Mma Ramotswe responds "That is very well known...Look at Adam. Look how he fell for Eve.

"'Just because she had no clothes on, he fell for her,'said Mma Makutsi.

"'That sometimes helps,' said Mma Ramotswe. They both laughed..."
Profile Image for Tania.
710 reviews58 followers
November 16, 2020
Such a warm and cosy series. It's like catching up with old friends.

Mr Molofololo want Man Ramotswe to find out why his football team keep losing despite them having no knowledge of football, and On a Makutsi is troubled when her arch enemy gets a job at her fiances furniture shop.
Profile Image for Will Byrnes.
1,284 reviews119k followers
October 9, 2013
The 10th in the series, if you are reading this you are already a fan. Smith maintains the same delightful level offered in the prior nine. The central mystery here concerns a soccer team and whether or not someone is throwing games. Mma Makutsi faces a personal challenge as an old rival attempts to insinuate herself between Makutsi and her fiancée. Mma Rawotswe must come to grips with the likely demise of her beloved van. Along the way we meet more of the fascinating characters that populate Smith’s Botswana and paint a loving portrait of that nation. If the other books in the series were not your cup of bush tea, pass, but if you enjoyed what came before settle in with another cup and enjoy.

It does not hurt that the wonderful HBO production of these stories has given us a few wonderfully cast faces to keep in mind as we read.

Just in case you are new to the series. I would stop, go back and read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It makes a difference seeing the characters develop over the volumes.
Profile Image for Marcy.
583 reviews36 followers
September 17, 2009
Once again, Alexander McCall Smith has written another wonderful detective book about the Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi. McCall has such a wonderful sense of people and how they think; In simple words, he delves into their innermost reflective thoughts. As he describes in detail what people are thinking about, I find myself connecting to similar thoughts I used to have when I was younger and innocent, and had more free time to reflect upon the goodness of people and the world.

Mma Ramotswe "glanced in her rear-view mirror...Goodnight, Mma: I am grateful to you. I am grateful to you for being my assistant and having all those peculiar ideas and insisting on them. I am grateful to you for being who you are; for standing up for ladies with large glasses and a bad skin and for everybody else who has had to battle to get where they have got. And most of all I am grateful to you for being my friend, Mma; I am grateful to you for that. That is the best thing that anybody can be to anybody else - a friend."

Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni was thoughtful when his son was rather upset that a better football team had lost:

" There would have to be a lesson about sportsmanship, and about enjoying a game, no matter what the outcome. It was sometimes a hard lesson to be learned, and some people never learned it, but it was needed.
He looked at Puso and tried to remember what it was like to be that age. You wanted things so much-that was it: you wanted things so much that you ached. And sometimes you believed that you could make the things you yearned for happen, just by willing them. He had done that himself-he remembered it vividly, when as a boy he had lost a favorite uncle and he had walked out into the bush and looked up at the sky and addressed God directly: Please make him not be dead. Please make him not be dead. And when he had got home, he had half expected that his act of willing would have somehow worked and his uncle would have miraculously recovered. But of course there was still the sound of keening women and the black armbands and all the other signs that it had not worked; the world is the world in spite of all our wishes to the contrary."

Keep writing, Alexander McCall Smith!
Profile Image for Tina.
219 reviews12 followers
January 6, 2013
"I am your sister. There was no simpler or more effective way of expressing a whole philosophy of life."

"Human hurt was like lightning; it did not choose its targets, but struck, with rough equality and little regard to position, achievement, or moral desert."

"There is plenty of work for love to do."

"It did not really matter what the relationship was; a home was a home whoever lived in it, it was the same family no matter how attenuated the links of blood and lineage."

"Until you hear the whole story, until you dig deeper, and listen, she thought, you know only a tiny part of the goodness of the human heart."

"When we dismiss or deny the hopes of others, she thought, we forget that they, like us, have only one chance in this life."

"We were tiny creatures, really; tiny and afraid, trying to hold our place on the little platform that was our earth. So while the world about us might seem so solid, so permanent, it was not really. We were all at the mercy of chance, no matter how confident we felt, hostages to our own human frailty. And that applied not only to people, but countries too."

"That is the best thing that anybody can be to anybody else-a friend."
Profile Image for Rachael .
487 reviews29 followers
May 20, 2017
As always, this was a pleasure to read. The characters have become like old friends, complete with their own particular quirks. They are so fully fleshed out that they seem as though they must be real! I can't tell you how much Mma Makutsi made me laugh out loud this time. It was also fun to finally learn more about "the younger apprentice" in Mr J L B Matekoni's garage. The cases in this installment were very benign, and sources of real amusement. I just love Alexander McCall Smith and am so thankful I found this series (was it 6 years ago, or 7 already?). They are always a joy to read, and I hope there will be at least 10 more! :) I wish I could get everyone to read these books.

For me, it is also interesting to see how Botswana's culture and customs compare with those in Lesotho, especially in this novel, in which Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi discuss some customs that are actually identical to what my husband has taught me (or I observed during our trip there).
Profile Image for Judy.
1,945 reviews28 followers
June 30, 2009
I'm addicted to this series of gentle books by Alexander McCall Smith that take place in the southern African country of Botswana. The stories are about the conflict between the traditional way of life and the emergence of modern culture that is placing strains on the people of Botswana. And in the telling of that story, throw in a gentle mystery or human problem or two and you have yourself a good read. In this book, Mms Ramotswe is asked to find out why the popular local soccer team is suddenly losing games to teams much weaker than themselves. She is also suffering a grievous loss--her tiny white van has been taken to the junk yard and has been replaced by a modern blue vehicle. (I'm holding out hope that we haven't seen the last of the tiny white van yet.) And Mms Makutsi is afraid that Phuti Radiphuti is going to be stolen from her by her archrival from secretarial school (where we all know that Grace achieved 97%) Violet Sephotho. I have recently become friendly with a young woman from Botswana and these books by Alexander McCall Smith helped to lead us into, what I hope, is a lasting friendship. Keep them coming.
Profile Image for Donna.
335 reviews12 followers
March 30, 2010
Amazon.com kindly informed me that this latest in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series was available in paperback, and I started clicking. This is one temptation I don't even try to resist. Alexander McCall Smith's books are good for me—like a few days' vacation.

Once it arrived, I tried to read Tea Time for the Traditionally Built as slowly as possible, rationing myself to just a few pages a day. Although Smith is a prolific author, his books don't come out every day and—like favorite desserts—when they're gone they're gone.

For those familiar with the series, you might be interested to know that in this volume, readers have a chance to get to know some of the here-to-fore minor characters—including the younger apprentice, the tiny white van, and Mma Makutsi's shoes.

For those of you unfamiliar with the series, I recommend the first book in the series, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. If you like it as much as I did, prepare yourself for a long vacation.

Profile Image for Michele.
63 reviews3 followers
March 22, 2020
With everything going on right now, I was glad for a cozy mystery and this book put a smile on my face. It was wonderful to venture back to Botswana and read about the simple mysteries that Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi need to solve. I have enjoyed every book in this series so far and this was no exception.
Profile Image for Mariella Deliyannis.
475 reviews16 followers
May 13, 2021
How can i express my delight after finishing one instalment of the series of the No1 Ladies' Detective Agency? It is one of my feel good series and reading the adventures of Mma Ramotswe and her family and colleagues is like a happiness boosting injection! I love the way the book portrays the essence of Africa and I believe it is an alternative version of what could have been if the continent had been left at its devices and the people lived as their culture dictated. I also love the "childish" but so endearing way of talking (people are late but not dead), the ceremony of the simple but everyday life, the goodness and naivety (in the best of senses) that the people in Tlokweng Road and Zebra Drive seem to have and the appreciation of the fundamentals of life!
Ever since instant street view, whenever I read a book that takes place in a place that I do not know, I try to "visit" the streets and sites mentioned on the book and it enriches my experience with the book. This time also, I caught a glimpse of the vast horizon of Africa and the character of Mma Ramotswe's Gaborone!
Profile Image for Kavita.
752 reviews361 followers
May 7, 2017
I am doing this wrong. I ought to read the books in the right order to get the full enjoyment of the character development. As it is, I was kicking myself for missing an exciting book (no idea which of the previous ones it was, but the scene was referred to in this one) with Grace Makutsi and Precious Ramotswe chasing after Violet Sephotho. How did I miss that?

Anyway, this one had Ramotswe and Makutsi grapple with football. The owner of a football club, the Kalahari Swoopers, reaches out to the ladies and asks if they could find out why his team is consistently losing. He suspects there is a traitor in their midst. Mma Ramotswe takes up the case even though neither of the women know anything about the game. The conclusion, as usual, is simple and straightforward.

Meanwhile, Violet Sephotho has her eyes on Phuti Radiphuti and Mma Makutsi is furious about it. But between her, Mma Ramotswe and Charlie, they put things right and save poor Phuti from a fate worse than death. So much benign sexism here, but I just adore this series! I have to let it go!

Another winner from Botswana. Settle down with a hot cup of bush tea and enjoy!
Profile Image for Angie.
1,091 reviews74 followers
October 13, 2015
A fun, feel good book that happens to be number 10 in a fun, feel good series based in Botswana. Mma Ramotswe & Mma Makutsi never fail to bring a smile to my face. I love the culture and ambience of their Botswana. AMS' writing makes the place come alive through the eyes of natives to the country. These books are easy and quick reading.

This particular entry focuses on intrigue in a football team (soccer to us Americans). Also are problems with the "tiny white van" and Grace's nemesis Violet Sephotho.

If you are a fan of any of these books and haven't yet had the opportunity to watch the HBO series inspired by it, please do so. I highly recommend it. It's one of those times I feel that the tv/movie version is as good as the book. Let me tell you, that doesn't often happen for me. In fact I can pretty much count them on one hand. The spirit of the books is beautifully maintained in them.
Profile Image for Mary.
219 reviews2 followers
May 1, 2020
I haven't read a book in this series for several years and I wondered if I'd be able to understand the story after missing several books.

These books are classified as mysteries, but there isn't much real mystery in them, just the current cases given to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This was a nice break from serious, suspenseful stories with murders. Precious Ramotswe has, for her main case, the task of discovering why a once-winning football (soccer) team is now losing all their games.

This books in this series are still delightful, quick reads and very welcome in these days of isolation.
Profile Image for Ruby Grad.
486 reviews4 followers
February 20, 2020
Once again, Alexander McCall Smith offers us the unique combination of life philosophy and humor that we expect from this series. This time, Mma Ramotswe has to deal with the sad condition of her little white van, and Mma Makutsi has to contend with a woman trying to steal her fiancee. Together, they have to figure out why the local football team, which had been steadily winning, is now steadily losing. Always a fun and easy read.
Profile Image for Terri.
912 reviews30 followers
June 16, 2009
This is one of the authors/series (along with Janet Evanovich and John Grisham)whose books I await eagerly and insist on owning. And I am never disappointed. How I love Mma Ramotswe and this endearing cast of characters (Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, Mma Makutsi,Phuti Radiphuti, Violet Sephotho, and all the rest - it is a real treat to hear the audio version of these books - the names just roll off the tongue - so beautiful)! And it is so refreshing to read a book set in Africa in which people go about their everyday lives with such joy. The love for Botswana and its people is palpable in the pages of Smith's books. Though the books in the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series are classed as mysteries, they are gentle examples of the genre. The focus really is on the characters and the loving, simple, slow lives they lead. The humor, too, is gentle but so wonderful. I especially love the idea of the "traditionally built" woman, as opposed to the slim "modern" women discussed in the book. There is so much to smile about when reading these books. I savor every moment and am so sorry when the books are done!
Profile Image for Aditi Varma.
293 reviews53 followers
April 3, 2019
Week 14 Book 13
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith
Rating: 5/5

Trust Mr Smith to cure me of reader's block any time! Yet again I was struggling to read due to various reasons, and the No. 1 Ladies'Detective Agency came to my rescue. What a refreshing change from the previous book I read.

This one, as usual, brings forward a lot of questions and emotions, like other books in the series. About traditonal values vs modern ones, about accepting flaws and working on them, about being principaled no matter what, about learning to not be judgemental, about discovering you can love someone so much, more than even yourself, about honesty and integrity, and most of all, about knowing when to fight for something and when to let go.

Can't wait to start the next one in the series!
Profile Image for Laura.
6,825 reviews551 followers
June 7, 2013
From BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama:
Written and dramatised by Alexander McCall Smith, from his hugely popular series of books set in Botswana.

Precious Ramotswe, owner of The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, is about to get in over her head. She's got an important new client from the incomprehensible world of football, but she's on her own as her loyal assistant Mma Makutsi is distracted by the return of a troublesome figure from her past.

Directed by Eilidh McCreadie.

Profile Image for Andrew.
559 reviews
December 6, 2016
A very entertaining book in this cozy and comfortable series. These books are so easy going that you can't help enjoying them, it is like being back with long lost friends. The main mystery in this one is very light revolving around why a football team is always losing and whether there is a traitor in amongst the team. The mysteries in these books are almost secondary to life in Botswana as told by Mma Ramotswe. This book is worth reading alone for the reaction she had to her dying little van. Can't wait to be back with the characters in the next book.
Profile Image for Deanna.
37 reviews
April 23, 2019
I love being reminded of the culture, places in and people of Botswana. The author lived in Gaborone and taught at the University of Botswana there. He does an excellent job describing the reality of life in Bots and specifically Gabs. What a fun and humorous read! Love the characters and life lessons and human truths their detective work illuminates and reinforces. I plan on continuing on reading this series in the future.
Profile Image for MVV.
80 reviews35 followers
November 30, 2015
I give this author so many chances - three and counting, as of now - and he rains down on my hopes each time muddier than the last. I still will read at least one work from each of the series he has penned, although they're all horribly racist, reeking of infantilism and poor in prose and plot.
Profile Image for Cheryl Linebarger.
78 reviews4 followers
April 9, 2021
As always, just the right sort of reading for trying times, and even for not-so-trying times. The language, the descriptions of Botswana, and the wonderful ladies of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Love these books!
Profile Image for Aileen.
373 reviews1 follower
November 7, 2022
I wanted to enjoy this series, but think it's now my 2nd attempt and ..... it just doesn't float my boat. Pretty obvious as it's taken me nearly a week to read only 250 pages. Its been picked up and put down so often in that time - with a sigh.

I get that it's very twee and quirky. I have been known to like quirky, and less frequently to like twee - but Mma Ramotswe's tale just didn't go anywhere. It could have been a short story, to the same eventual effect. Maybe if I'd read the 9 preceding books I would feel a more kindly disposition to the lovely lady that she clearly is. But..... I think it's goodbye to the N1LDA for me.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,694 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.