Start by marking “No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #4)” as Want to Read:
No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #4)

No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  606 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Bill Smith is going undercover again as a favor to an old friend who wants him to investigate thievery on the 40-story Manhattan site of Crowell Construction’s latest project.

His bricklaying is a little rusty, but passable as he checks out the foreman who’s under suspicion. A crane operator has disappeared–along with some heavy machinery.

But when a well-orchestrated riot c
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about No Colder Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Colder Place

Lukasz Pruski
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
"There's no place colder than a construction site. [...] the chill that pulls the warmth from your bones while you're working, the wind that blows through steel and concrete carrying the ancient dampness of echoing caves."

I am livid. Until the last 35 pages I felt this was a great book, one of the best books in the PI genre that I can remember. At least a four-star rating. But then the author resorts to the tired, cliché, theatrical ending that reminds me of the badly dated noir movies of the 19
Katherine Clark
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm surprised to say that this is my second favorite of the series. This is a Bill Smith book, and I found this quite subtle, yet so lovely. I actually wrote that certain lines were elegiac. I think what I liked best is despite the confusion that the principle characters felt (which is the norm in private investigator books), I wasn't confused about how they were feeling or acting. The previous book was often messy , and I didn't enjoy that. This book had a greater sense of control. I liked it s ...more
Robyn Miller
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was in BN looking in the mystery section and someone recommended this series to me. I was a little reluctant but after finishing 3 of the books in the series (I skipped #2 and will go back) I am really enjoying the series and the authors style of writing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Spuddie
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
#4 Lydia Chin/Bill Smith mystery set in New York City. This series is somewhat unique in that it alternates points of view every other book. This one is told from Bill's point of view. Both are private investigators with separate agencies who work together. Bill would like their relationship to be more than it is, and I think Lydia would as well, except that her family is traditional Chinese and her mother dislikes Bill--or the idea that any Caucasian would woo her daughter.

Bill is contacted by
Hobart
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Rozan was able to tap into her day job here and use her knowledge of architecture, construction -- particularly the idiosyncratic way that construction is done in NYC. Bill, and the tune/atmosphere Rozan uses for his books, is able to be pensive, reflective, and almost poetic in thinking about the act of building. Lydia wouldn't be able to do that. This type of thing is a real advantage to switching POV characters the way Rozan does.

The series feels different when Bill is at the center, and I fo
Kathy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Carl Brookins
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

Wit, excellent characters and twisted plot lines mark this novel as a distinct reading pleasure. Add to that a high level of writing skills, and you have another winner from Ms. Rozan. That the novel retains solid interest is testimony to its staying power.

Take two very different professional investigators, Bill Smith and Lydia Chin. Insert them into a Manhattan building project to investigate theft. It sounds simple on the surface, but there are circles within circles, and motivations that are
LJ
NO COLDER PLACE - Ex
Rozan, S.J. - 4th Smith/Chin book

When a Manhattan construction site is plagued by an escalating series of thefts and misfortunes, the contractors suspect that they've been targeted by one of their own subcontractors' employees. Brought in to investigate, P.I. Bill Smith goes undercover on the site as a bricklayer - a profession he hasn't practiced for more than twenty-years - to try to uncover the truth about the suspect as well as the troubles on the job site. With his somet
Lynne-marie
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Bill Smith, that uber-detective, gets upper billing in this Smith/Chin novel, and hires himself out to go undercover on a construction site (the coldest place of the title) for a friend/client and talks Lydia Chin, much against her principles and her will, into going in undercover, too, as a secretary in the construction trailer headquarters. Expensive items have been disappearing and then suddenly men are getting killed. What does this have to do with a name whispered into BIll's ear that conne ...more
R.J. Koreto
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A taut and lean mystery, with a solution that plays out like a classical tragedy. However, the real joy of the book is its cast of characters, where even minor players are beautifully drawn. Especially well done is the relationship between the two sleuths, Lydia Chin and Bill Smith, something more than a friendship, less than a romance, and completely real.

Another great feature of this book is the setting, the construction site of a Manhattan office building. I see the author is an architect, an
Richard Thompson
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The third (I think) S. J. Rozan mystery novel. GHOST HERO was set in the New York art world. MARDARIN PLAID was set in the fashion trade. I was beginning to wonder if that was a pattern... some kind of New York cultural niche. NO COLDER PLACE though is different. Unlike the others it is told in the first person by P.I. Bill Smith. He is approached by a much larger detective agency to take on a case involving corruption and theft at a highrise construction project. (In the author bio we find out ...more
Stan
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent murder/suspense tale that takes you into the world of construction, and more specifically into the world of masonry. That may not sound especially fascinating, but Rozan can make you feel what it's like to be standing on the scaffold slapping on mortar and setting bricks. In fact, the writing is at times strikingly beautiful, especially, it seems, when the author is anthropomorphizing weather:
"The sun had made it, splitting a heavy cloud over the Hudson and pouring out a deep yellow li
Deb Oestreicher
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bill Smith goes undercover on a construction site, first to establish whether a foreman is involved in criminal activities, and also to see if he can find out what happened to one of the construction workers, who's disappeared. The case turns out to be more complicated than it seems when the pace of "accidents" on the site accelerates and Bill becomes convinced that his client is hiding something. Lydia goes undercover also, as a secretary. Aside from life on a construction site, this story intr ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
This is an award winner and many professional critics thought this the best one so far in the series, but I thought it lacking in energy and emotion. It goes by the numbers, required by the mystery genre tag. Also, I'm getting tired of the ridiculous relationship between Chin and Smith. By my clock, they either should break up the relationship or become lovers by now. If they kept their feelings hidden, I can see it being dragged on like this, but they refer to the uncomfortable state of Smith's ...more
Lila
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth of Rozan's mysteries. The author is a native New Yorker and trained as an architect. Her descriptions, like Barry Maitland's London-based stories, incorporates a knowledge of the building trade and the structure of buildings. in this mystery, something is very much amiss on a construction site and PI Bill Smith poses as a bricklayer to figure it out. His partner, Lydia Chin, doesn't come in until later, but she is a gem. This is a good partner based series with excellent New Y ...more
Andy
May 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
A so-called detective who's supposed to be undercover uses his real name, tells people who he really is, makes bad/dumb decisions, and does almost nothing to find out what's really going on until people just start confessing things to him for no reason. And SOOOOOO much talking…pages and pages of dialogue covering parts of the story that have already been told, banter that has nothing to do with anything, and is far from witty but mainly annoying…I've read cereal box blurbs that were more compel ...more
Nancy
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Marathon read today (half the book in one sitting mostly). Finished this one while waiting for my mother to get out of surgery. I like Rozan's books. This one was told from the perspective of Bill Smith, with occasional appearances by Lydia Chin, and involved misdeeds and treachery in the building trade in New York. Some of the building-related details were not as clear for me but I still enjoyed the well-drawn characters and was satisfied by the"less-than-perfect" ending.
Julie Davis
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this equally as well as the previous Bill Smith book in the series. I still enjoy reading the Lydia Chin books which are alternated in the series but the Bill Smith ones are my favorites. My mother concurred, saying that she enjoyed all of them but the Lydia Chin books felt "a bit flat." I continue to be fascinated that the author can consistently write in such different voices for the two protagonists as they alternate in telling their mysteries.
Cathy
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books
I am absolutely loving this book and have added S.J. Rozan to my favorite authors list.....Finished the book this afternoon and am still thrilled with it. So much fun to discover a "new" author. The story was sufficiently complicated so as not to be boring but not so complicated it was unbelievable. I'm jumping in several books in so I still haven't figured out what makes Bill and Lydia tick.
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2013
I enjoy Rozan's writing, her obvious knowledge of the world of construction & architecture, and the interesting side characters (Ms. Armstrong, Mr. DiMaio, etc.). Wish for more development or an end to the Lydia/Bill kiss-on-the-cheek dynamic, as it is stretching thin, but liked having some insight into what makes Bill so patient.
Ashley
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I had never read anything by Rozan before this and I don't think that I have read anything since, which is surprising as I liked this book. I had never really read anything in the vein of crime drama/murder mysteries but I enjoyed this. I don't recall half of what happened in this actual book, but at the time, I was hard pressed to find fault with Rozan's writing or story-telling.
Glenn Harris
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting series, the books alternating between partners, 30-ish Chinese-American PI Lydia Chin and 40-ish white guy PI Bill Smith, as the main character. In this one, Smith goes undercover as a bricklayer on a construction site with Lydia backing him up as a secretary in the office. What seems at first to be a simple case of course turns deadly and incredibly complicated.
Brenda Clough
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Starting in on the series with this book, which happened to be the first one I got my hands on. The author is obviously a master at dropping little details that we want to know more about -- now I will be forced, forced! to go and find the other books.
Kathleen O'Nan
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This the 2nd "Bill Smith" book and I liked it much more than the 1st one. His character was better drawn in this one and the story was great fun. I'm still inclined to like the "Lydia Chin" ones more so am looking forward to number 5 in the series.
Anna
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting plot.
Michael
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this a while ago, but apparently forgot to record it.

This was great. A construction-themed novel that foreshadows In This Rain, which was also great. Really enjoying this series.
Jud Hanson
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable book. This is my first exposure to S.J. Rozan and I will be going back to read the first three entries in this series.
LizH
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Another great installment in this series, from Bill's point of view. Lots of good twists that had me guessing, and is it my imagination, or are Bill and Lydia getting closer?
Marilaine
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting story. Takes place in New York City and has an authentic insider feel to it. Learned something about laying bricks and building a high-rise in the city.
Lois
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love the writing, Bill, and Lydia. I really feel these characters.
  • False Pretenses (Nancy Drew: Files, #88)
  • Black Widow #4
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 1 (Season 9, #1)
  • The Bride's Kimono
  • Wild Inferno (A Wild Mystery #2)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5)
  • Executive Actions (Executive #1)
  • Bad Policy (Seamus McCree #2)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
SJ Rozan, a native New Yorker, is the author of the Bill Smith and Lydia Chin detective series as well as several stand-alone novels. She has won the the Edgar, Nero, Macavity, Shamus and Anthony awards for Best Novel and the Edgar award for Best Short Story. She is a former Mystery Writers of America National Board member, a current Sisters in Crime National Board member, and President of the Pri ...more
More about S.J. Rozan...

Lydia Chin & Bill Smith (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • China Trade (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #1)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • Mandarin Plaid (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #3)
  • A Bitter Feast (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #5)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #7)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #9)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #11)