Start by marking “Twelve Red Herrings” as Want to Read:
Twelve Red Herrings

Twelve Red Herrings

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  6,932 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Jeffrey Archer, the internationally bestselling author of Honor Among Thieves, As The Crow Flies, and Kane & Abel, now serves up this inventive new collection of a dozen short stories -- with a twist. Cleverly styled, with richly drawn characters and ingeniously plotted story lines, each of the twelve pieces ends with a delightfully unexpected turn of events.

An impriso
Published August 30th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Red Herrings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Red Herrings

Alex Cantone
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
This book I flicked through while staying at a holiday cottage in NSW and finally tracked down. Not a great fan of short-stories, Jeffrey Archer's Twelve Red Herrings started promisingly with the 83 page "Trial and Error". Each story was quirky but I quickly realised they all had the SAME theme: money and/or wealthy people. After 7 stories I tossed it. Yawn!!!!
2★.
Benjamin Thomas
The term "Master Storyteller" is perhaps overused but in this case, Jeffrey Archer earns the moniker. Each of these stories I read between other people's novels, in order to space them out. It is a testament to the quality of these stories that I found myself wanting to get past the particular novel I was reading so I could get to the next Archer short story. Some of these stories have twists and some have irony, but they all have that exceptional phrasing that I have come to expect from Mr. Arc ...more
Kritika Swarup
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You open a story and cannot put the book down till you are done with it. There you meet the ending which just keeps it's promise. You wonder if Jeffrey Archer can handle romance in short stories as well as he manages the thrill. There as you reach the last story, you are presented with a piece precisely written to answer that question you ask.

There is a beautiful start to a romantic flick and just at the point where you start judging it, it challenges you with alternate endings. You read all the
Mark Soone
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
My rating is 4.2. I love jeffrey Archer! Alongside of roald dahl he is IMHo the master of the short story. there are some very good gems in here!

1 Trial and error- 5 stars- Simply a brilliant tale of murder, deception, betrayal and more. Archer remains the master of the short story.

2- Cheap at half the price- 4 stars- A delightful deception...some folks have all the luck

3- Dougie mortimor's right arm- 3 stars- The Herring is quite as tasty in this story as the previous 2. Still a decent light re
Lestat
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this one a couple of years ago, when the author was in town. I quite enjoyed this book, but expected more of a connection between all the tales than was present. Only one character is repeated in two stories, all the others are disparate. The central conceit for all of them is the 'red herring' and some of the stories are more obvious than others in their deception and cleverness.

"Trial and Error"
Undoubtedly the best of the lot; it's a pity it was placed in the beginning of the book, as
Tex
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
"Twelve Red Herrings" is a collection of short stories by Jeffrey Archer. Nine of which are based in known events to the author (admittedly heavily embellished) and the other three original ideas.

Each tale puts one of its characters under a pressure situation to see how they could react and what choice they might make. Like the different directions that his characters go Archer has put into each of his tales a "red herring" designed to lead the reader down a particular path only to later on spr
Veethica
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Red herring means a clue or piece of information which is or is intended to be misleading or distracting, which is totally apt for the title of the book. Archer uses this in his writing, leaving the readers wanting for more.

This is a collection of 12 short stories written in strong clean prose, each story having a sudden twist and surprise ending. Some of the stories are really hilarious while some keep you on the edge of your seat!

My favorites are Shoeshine Boy, Never Stop on the Motorway, Do n
Liliana Blum
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me quito el sombrero ante Archer. Sin duda uno de los mejores libros de cuentos que he leído en toda mi vida. Perfectamente bien construidos y con un humor bastante oscuro. Una delicia de leer, en verdad.
Travelin
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: started
Like a lot of German thinkers and Brits, he fakes knowledge of human nature by describing detailed mechanical evidence.
Obalola Ibrahim
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely
Madhuwati
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amazing short stories!!! I used to love the Jeffrey archer Novels but now I am great short story fan of his too :-)

Must reads are "
* Do Not Pass Go
* Shoeshine Boy
* You'll Never Live to Regret It
* Never Stop on the Motorway
* An Eye for an Eye
* One Man's Meat"

* Do Not Pass Go

This is the first story I read and it is full of drama and action I would say. Thrilling one...

* Shoeshine Boy

Nice and funny one. Makes you giggle!

* You'll Never Live to Regret It
Full of twists and turns and keeps you
J.L. Campbell
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Twelve Red Herrings contained a good mixture of stories. Some took me a while to get through, but I'm such a fan that if Jeffery Archer wrote the ingredients of bread on a bag, I'd read it.

Some of the stories were high tension and others were like a Sunday morning stroll. And then there was the final story, One Man’s Meat. Only Archer could pull of telling a story with four possible endings. Of course, being an Archerholic I had to read all four, though he invited the reader to ‘select one and
Sasha Sardar
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Twelve Red Herrings is exactly as the title says. A red herring is a false trail, bait that is meant to be taken, leading to the wrong conclusion. Jeffry Archer is a master with this style, and wrote twelve short stories, each with a red herring dropped somewhere in it. The book boasts differentiating plots, and is a careful collection of stories that deal with humorous and farcical realities. They are all rather interesting in their own way, but they all seem to share a link which doesn’t exist ...more
Ajisha Mohan
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
Though I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of Jeffrey Archer's books I've read so far, it never crossed my mind to pick up one of his short-story collections. After reading this one, I realised what I'd missed. What is really admirable about his writing style is that he can connect with any generation pretty well. I personally found it difficult to believe that Kane and Abel and False Impression were penned by the same author. Even in this collection each story is different from the other and ther ...more
Anna
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Witty book with lots of short stories that are unique on their own.
Narcisse
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book as much as I enjoyed Jeffery Archer's previous ones:)) it's a page turner;)
Lou Grimm
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a craftsman is Jeffrey Archer!

Twelve Red Herrings is exactly what it says: a dozen short stories of being led down a path and then - forget the curve ball - you're thrown to somewhere unexpected. Every time. How does he do it?!

Well, first he hooks you from the opening lines:
"Arnold Bacon would have made a fortune if he hadn't taken his father's advice."
"And so it was agreed: David would leave everything to Pat."
"Sir Matthew Roberts QC closed the file and placed it on the desk in front of
Gaurav Singh
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
All twelve stories had a red herring dropped somewhere in the middle of the story and yet you have to read all the way till the end to get the conclusion.
Now that's how i define Jeffrey Archer's creativity.

Few stories are quite "high tension" and a few are like "Sunday stroll" and that's why i ended up
finishing this book on Sunday morning. :)

Among the novels, which Jeffrey has written till date. 12 Red Herring tastes more fascinating.
Fascinating because it has short stories whereby he has expli
Anitha
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, each one of the stories has an unexpected ending. Some end on an ironic note while others have a twist in the plot. All of the stories are fast-paced and exciting. I played the guessing game and tried to predict the endings. I got some right, but there were certain others that completely took me by surprise. The last story with four(yes, four!) different endings to choose from, gives the reader a little 'more' of that thrill that she/he seeks.

I did, however, feel that the
This was not my favorite set of Archer short stories, but they were all good.
Since they are all mysteries, I can’t say too much without spoilers. I will say that the last short story was my favorite. Archer managed to put more thrill and creepiness into a very short story than most authors put into an entire novel.
And, like his most recent novel that I recently read, Archer wrote a story with 4 different endings. As a reader who is definitely not a fiction writer, I find that fascinating and l
Dew
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I forgot to update it these past days but I did finish it.

I don't think I'll be making a review right now because this was mainly to prepare myself for one of my finals. But I will probably write something in the future or during the holidays... mostly because I enjoyed and I wanna leave a small comment with my opinion about it.
Laurie D'ghent
The only short story anthology that I've read that I actually enjoyed. Naturally, some of the stories were better than others, but it didn't make me want to pull my hair out like short stories normally do.
Ruchika Pahwa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A few stories are really awesome! For me, most had predictable ends. Overall, a wonderful read!
Veronica Harris
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey, how I miss you. Twelve totally delightful short stories (8.5)
Petrina Wetzel
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Short stories varied in their quality. All were quirky which made for some interesting reading. Some had predictable endings.
Soozee
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good series of short stories, all very different but drawing from the author's unique experiences. A light and easy read.
Steve Barnett
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought that some of the stories were good. Others were poor with unsatisfactory endings. Glad I got this in a charity shop and didn't pat full prise.
Stephanie
Reread November 2017.
Shravanthi
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will pick this book up again and again in the years to come.
Puneeth Umesh
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterful

12 assortments, each a piece de resistance by itself. A good way to get back to reading. Engrossing, the word for a novice as myself, in every way.
Kindle English My...: Amazon Daily Deal - Jeffrey Archer - Twelve Red Herrings 1 6 Jan 13, 2017 01:10AM
What are the twelve red herrings in this book? 5 42 Nov 02, 2014 03:08PM
Goodreads Librari...: Twelve Red Herrings - New Edition 1 14 Feb 02, 2014 11:11AM
twelve red herrings 2 36 Sep 29, 2011 01:03AM
  • No Comebacks
  • Mumbai Avengers
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • Everything's Eventual, Part 1
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • Man, Woman, and Child
  • Detective
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • Cross of Fire (Tweed & Co. #10)
  • Men in the Making
  • Milligan's Meaning of Life: An Autobiography of Sorts
  • Calamity and Other Stories
  • We're Flying
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 2
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Birth House
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“Women are naturally superior to men, and Mrs Consuela Rosenheim was no exception.” 0 likes
“Naturally, some of the passengers begin to panic. Several of them leap out into the dimly lit tunnel.” 0 likes