Start by marking “Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution” as Want to Read:
Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution

Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  358 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Three prominent American therapists detail their theories and strategies for promoting human change and dealing with related psychological problems.
Published April 17th 1974 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change

Olivier Goetgeluck
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A solution may itself be the problem.

Change is not only possible, but already seething within the problem situation.

Common-sense solutions are the most self-defeating and sometimes even the most destructive ones.

Two questions:
How does this undesirable situation persist?
What is required to change it?

Two types of change:
One that occurs within a given system which itself remains unchanged (first-order change); and one whose occurence changes the system itself (second-order change).

Change in connect
Vale
Un po' datato.
Sara
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While entrenched in applications and theories of psychology primarily, this book is applicable to any situation or problem that any person experiences and wishes to change. The straightforward title indicates what you're going to get--a very honest exploration of change, how people go about it, how they fail along the way, and what must be done to reframe their problems and alter their thinking in order to achieve the desired change. It takes a lot of real-life examples (though many are outdated ...more
Alex Giurgea
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
O carte despre mecanismele schimbarii terapeutice. Detaliaza foarte bine logica terapiilor scurte, prescriptii pentru situatii comune si modalitatile in care putem influenta schimbarea celor pe care vrem sa ii ajutam.
Jeffrey
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It changed my perception of the world. it might change yours.
Steven Ringsmuth stolpman
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
My brain hurts, but it's a good thing.
Domenico
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In questo famoso saggio Watzlawick, John H. Weakland e Richard Fish riprendono le idee esposte in “Pragmatica della comunicazione” e le utilizzano per costruire un modello teorico mirante a descrivere la soluzione dei problemi umani. Watzlawick in particolar modo attinge a piene mani a due branche della matematica per enucleare il suo metodo: alla teoria dei gruppi esposta nell’Ottocento dal geniale matematico Évariste Galois e alla teoria dei tipi logici di Bertrand Russell. La teoria dei grupp ...more
Oxús Dimitri
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
helped
Tim
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life has its difficulties--aches and pains, disagreements and disputes, disappointments and discomforts. So whether or not our lives are satisfying is often a matter of whether we manage life's difficulties constructively--or whether we mismanage these difficulties and make them worse.

This is the starting-point of the little book by psychologists Paul Watzlawick, John H. Weakland, and Richard Fisch. The book basically divides into three parts: (1) Describing ways life's difficulties are sometim
Irena Spivak
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book discusses the questions of persistence and change the actions of humans, the book explain how created problems and conflicts in human life and how to prevent them in advance. Shows how often the solutions that we provide to problems become problems themselves, and how to make real changes.
Many persons and organizations begin with changes. And changes do not succeed - the book can assist in understanding what causes this.
Book describes how to change your way of thinking. In a remarkabl
Henry Hamer
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent book. My third time thru it. First time was in the 1980's.

I understand 1st and 2nd order change so much better now than I did previously.

In only about 160 pages, the authors covered a lot of ground. The book is as relevant today as when written. The many examples are clear too.

My remaining comments are in regard to the last chapter, The Wider View.

The authors were spot on about the shortcomings of using only 1st order changes. In addition to individual and smaller group uses, just
Uriel Vidal
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It a different view of system thinking!!

it's a great view because if you already kwnow something about system thinking this book open your mind to analysis systems in a different way, you recive adivice of how begin to analyze systems and how to get information from takeholders. But if you do not know nothing about systems theory, it is a excelent book about psychologist and it gives a fantastic introducction to system thinking.

I definitely use the book adivices in my career and in my personal
Stuart Reid
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very readable and intuitively appealing approach to change. Suggests that change at the level of the problem is unlikely to be effective in human issues - we need to take a step up and see the problem at a different level: second-order change rather than third order change. Nice examples where doing the opposite of what 'common sense' tells us to do can be the right choice.
Lindy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Proposes ingenious methods of diffusing problems and inciting change, especially when all other methods attempted have failed. Looks primarily at the concept of first-order change (more of the same) as opposed to second-order change (shifting to a new frame).
Verac
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite books in grad school. Excellent examples and novel approaches to situations that might occur in systems. Written clearly and with humor. First chapter is the driest, so hang in there.
Luca
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Very intersting book which can help you to get out of the logic lock of many problems.
新宇 顾
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ross
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book on Change
Robin
Aug 25, 2012 added it
This book is fantastic . It gave me a whole new perspective on how to effect change.
Gloria
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of two books that I remember changing my life as a college student.
Patric
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cognitive-aware
Great classic exploring the blind spot living in denial in the human psyche and presented with humor and effective solutions in psycho therapy. Excellent book.
Patrick
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
an important part of how i have run my therapy and career.
Bill Baer
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
a psychological approach to change through paradox and word intreperation
Cecilia
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Families and Family Therapy
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • The Spectacle of the Scaffold
  • Hypnotic Realities: The Induction of Clinical Hypnosis and Forms of Indirect Suggestion With...
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Ego and the Mechanisms of Defense (The Writings of Anna Freud, Vol 2)
  • Business Dynamics : Systems Thinking And Modeling For The Complex World 1ED
  • Heavens to Betsy!: And Other Curious Sayings
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • The End of Leadership
  • Children's Minds
  • How Musical Is Man?
  • The Origins of Intelligence in Children
  • Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
  • 1912: The Year the World Discovered Antarctica
  • The Violence of Financial Capitalism (Intervention #2)
  • Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education
  • Insight: A Study of Human Understanding, Volume 3
Was an Austrian-American psychologist and philosopher. A theoretician in communication theory and radical constructivism, he has commented in the fields of family therapy and general psychotherapy. He was one of the most influential figures at the Mental Research Institute and lived and worked in Palo Alto, California, until his death at the age of 85
More about Paul Watzlawick...

“persistence and change need to be considered together, in spite of their apparently opposite nature.” 2 likes
“When Paul announced himself in a rather formal way to the secretary, he said simply, “I am Watzlawick.” She suspected he was a new psychiatric patient showing up for an appointment at the wrong time, and she interpreted his introduction as, “I am not Slavic.” 1 likes