Start by marking “Jane on Her Own” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Jane on Her Own

Ursula K. Le Guin

Jane on Her Own (Catwings #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,171 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
When Jane, a cat with wings, leaves the safety of her farm to explore the world, she falls into the hands of a man who keeps her prisoner and exploits her for money. Full-color illustrations.
Published May 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jane on Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane on Her Own

Calista
Cute. For all cat lovers! This is probably great for 6-8 year olds or cat lovers. This little series is about flying cats. Jane strikes out on adventure back in the city. A simple and fun story. Nice illustrations as well. This is a beginning chapter book.
Jasmine
Just so charming, and I also enjoy the story that not everyone is at home in the country, some of us are city cats. And that sometimes people who appear to be nice to us are using us.
Mathew
Happened by this from a friend on twitter and bought it immediately. It's not the first in the series of these 'taking flight' (Meek) books. The stories revolve around a family of cats who have wings and live in seclusion on a farm. I laughed at how well it was written compared to endless other 'first chapter' books. It's just exquisite and clever and worldly and charming and deep and sophisticated whilst also being enjoyable and playful - just like a cat.
Maggie Gordon
More cats with wings! Jane is the youngest catwing, and she gets bored of living on the farm so she goes off to find adventure! She meets a man who she thinks is kind at first, but he just wants her to make him famous on TV, so Jane has to figure out how to escape before humans get it in their heads that there might be more than one cat with wings!

Again, Le Guin crafts a perfectly adorable story, accompanied with delightful art. A great addition to a sweet series for kids!
Roberta
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane, the baby of the Catwing family, finds that the world outside the farm where she was born, is full of dangers. In the big city, she is cat-napped by someone who wants to capitalize on her flying talents and make big money on television. One of Jane's wise quotes is, "Being different is difficult and sometimes very dangerous." This is the 4th and final book of Le Guin Catwings books, with a reading level of grades 2-4, and delight enough for adult cat lovers.
Nikki
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane On Her Own is about the youngest Catwing. I think I like her best; she's adventurous and knows what she wants and doesn't just get somewhere safe and stay there. And it's nice to see her going back and seeing her mother. Again, lovely illustrations and a nice sweet little read.
Sara
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
omg, i love this story and i don't care how short it is. the illistrations are magnificent and it's about time that someone acctualy put a cat with wings into a story. i mean, cats and wings, shouldn't that be a "no duh"?
Urs
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The author with the maaaaaavelous name ends her delightful series in this wonderful Catwing tale. Start your own adventure with them! ENJOY! :D

Rick
Rather sad as this is the last of the Catwings books, but it was still just as charming and delightful as the other three.
Bibliomama
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just be yourself. That’s really all you can be.
Myra Blake
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Fun, cute, quick little read.
Jessica
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale (Animal Fantasy)

Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Pages: 48
Publisher: Orchard Books, New York
Copyright: 1999
Illustrator: S. D. Schindler
Distinguishing Artistic Features: Pen and ink drawings and wash.

This is the fourth and final book of the Catwings series. The series read in order would be:
Catwings
Catwings return
Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings and finally,

Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale

Setting: A farm and the city.
Characters:(Major) Jane, the baby of the catw
Kathleen
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello, friends! Let's talk about Catwings.

So, first of all, I had not heard of Catwings until my beloved girlfriend introduced me to them via handing me the second book in the series, yet another of the many and wonderful gifts she has given me. At any rate, they seem to be some of LeGuin's more obscure works, which I think is a bit of a tragedy. Second, I was shelving in the children's section just recently and happened to find all four of the Catwings books just hanging out there, which seemed
Dione Basseri
So, if your kids like cats, yes, 100%, buy this series. If you can find them all in a bundle, all the better, but they shouldn't be all that hard to find on their own, either online or at local used bookstores. They were pretty popular in the 80s and 90s, and remain in print to this day, but they aren't always the most challenging books, so they do manage to leave homes pretty quick, as kids need more shelf space.

They're good picks for those who have blasted through all the "early" chapter books
Sarah Sammis
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read Catwings Return, Jane the kitten was my favorite character. OK, second favorite, since I have to be partial to a flying cat named Harriet. So I was curious to read Jane on Her Own by Ursula K. Le Guin.

In Jane on Her Own, Jane just doesn't fit in at the farm. She's restless, nervous and skittish. She decides to return to the city of her birth to face her fears and find her forever home.

In the City she finds a new life as "Miss Mystery." The book blurb says the man she lives with "keep
Beth
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad we finally got around to the obvious part of the premise.
Ruthie Jones
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Warning: cuteness overload! These little winged cats are beyond adorable. In this fourth itty bitty book, Jane is itching for adventure. Jane leaves her siblings in the country and returns to the city. She's older and wiser now, but she still finds herself in quite the predicament. Poor Jane isn't cut out to be held against her will and forced to do tricks in the spotlight. In true cat fashion, Jane escapes and finds comfort and contentment in her mother's (and her mother's owner's) loving and t ...more
Holly Letson
Jane's book was not as good as her boyfriend, Alexander's. But, it was still a fun read.

After reclaiming her voice, Jane begins to feel the same need for adventure that Alexander once felt. This need ends up leading her to the city and into the house of Poppa, who is a greedy old man profiting from her uniqueness. She finds that out, and eventually, slips out and away from him.

Jane then uses her "Homing Instincts" to help her find her mother, which she does quite quickly. And, upon invitatio
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of these 4 books before bed, but this was the only one I actually finished in one go. Because they were so short I wanted to spread the chapters out to make it last longer, however, I just needed to know how this one ended!

Anyway, this was slightly different from the other books, not only because it's all about Jane, but also because there are a lot more human beings in it. Did I prefer cats only? Maybe, but in a four part series I also appreciated the change.

The ending was lovely! An
Dolly
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are now finished with the four book series, Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin. We really enjoyed this entire series and for every one of these books, our girls would insist that we read the whole book at one time. Considering the length of the stories, it tells me that they were very interested. I think that the story ended nicely and was a good finish to the series, although we wouldn't have minded if there were more...
Sydney
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little animal lovers
I read this series when I was really little. But I absolutely loved cats back then (well, I still do!) and for me this was just about the best series ever. If I looked back and read it now, I'd probably finish it in 20 minutes and think it was pretty boring. But if you know someone who is just beginning to read short chapter books and they love animals, give them a book from this series and they will just eat it up! ;)
Judy
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever read Ursula k.Le Guin's 'Left Hand of Darkness' you have some idea of her writing. Catwings is a children's book but I read it before giving to the child in mind. And just noticed there's a series. Fun! I would read them all. Quirky and bends the mind in ways I like. Besides I have an affinity for wings, though usually on angels.
Lisa Paul
I read this book after only reading Catwings #2, "Catwings Return". Definitely a more ordinary shape to the story here, and a Happy Ending. The happy ending ties up the angst I had at the end of Book 2. This loses one star for a lazy Midcentury America "whitebread" vibe to the human bits. LeGuin should know better. It loses another star because I was bored by the middle "trials" section.
Georgene
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jane, the youngest cat wings, gets bored on the farm, so she flies off seeking adventures. She finds mean dog, cats who don't like her, humans who try to capture her. At last she flies into an apartment and finds what she thinks is a kind human. But is he?

This last Cat Wings story has a nice ending. I wish Jane would have flown into MY window!
Mladoria
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprunts
Un petit roman jeunesse sur les aventures et les rêves d'évasion d'une petite chatte ailée.

Mi-mi-mi-mignon à souhait avec une belle réflexion sur l'exhibition des différences par les médias et ce que des gens mal intentionnés peuvent en retirer. Un dessin très fin et un style simple, parfait pour commencer à lire en laissant planer son imagination avec Jane, la mi-miss Mystère.
Lizzie
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because it looked like my cat on the front cover. Did not know this is a series book but dived in anyway. I loved the little story and the graphics. However, unlikely to read the other books but I could see how this would be a hit with children, especially reading out loud to them.
Audrey H
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jane is on her own, she has just learned how to talk. she sets off into the city, to explore this world. she thinks she could find treasures, though she can't. join her on this exploration journey, maybe she could find a gem, we'll see!
Alison Strumbeck
Skipped the 3rd because it was check out at the library. I'm interested to see how that compares to the others, but this one is really quite fascinating. It's the most different of the stories. It had a sad undertone but was still really good.
Lu
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
I love the idea of the story and the events in it. The style, however, seems a bit stilted to me. It pains me to say that, since Ursula K. Le Guin is one of my all time favorite authors. In this book, I felt she talked down to the audience, which bothered me.
Cat
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sweet! Why can't cats fly?! I love the illustrations!
  • Cat  Mouse
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Koko's Kitten
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • The Fir Tree
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Snake Attack! (LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book #5)
  • The Rabbits' Wedding
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • Waking Dragons
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Travels of Thelonious (Fog Mound)
Ursula K. Le Guin published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. She lived in Portland, Orego ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...

Catwings (4 books)
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)