Start by marking “Overcoming Depression: A Step-By-Step Approach to Gaining Control Over Depression” as Want to Read:

Overcoming Depression: A Step-By-Step Approach to Gaining Control Over Depression (Overcoming)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  254 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
St. John's Wort, Prozac, psychotherapy, support groups--today's individual suffering from depression has a laundry list of treatments to choose from. For many, Paul Gilbert's self-help manual Overcoming Depression--based on the highly effective technique of cognitive behavioral therapy--will provide a lifeline to recovery and a better future, as a way to understand and thu ...more
Published May 24th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 30th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Depression

Nimue Brown
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really valuable book and I think it would help if everyone read, regardless of whether they think they are depressed or not. It’s based on Cognitive Behavioural approachsd to managing depression. The logic goes like this, thoughts, feelings and behaviour are all connected. Change one, and others will change. Therefore by getting control of your thoughts you feel differently, and by changing behaviour you can get more control of thoughts and as you feel differently so thoughts and behav ...more
Simon
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this became a real monkey on my back, I've been plugging away at it for pretty much a year. And I think in honesty any real therapeutic value got diluted by it, however finishing it is a major achievement for me because it clears my mind with regards starting reading a new book on the subject that might be more helpful.

And in fairness some of it was very helpful, it helped me sort out a lot of the self-bullying language that depression uses, likewise the all-or-nothing thinking, and othe
Soyeun
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it's impossible to rate a book on depression--either you are depressed and nothing is ever good enough or you are not depressed and it's difficult to focus on a topic that's not useful. Ha ha.

The first part of the book had compelling explanations for the phenomenon. The practical parts of the book was thorough but that made it repetitive in places. In some ways, it is a very basic book, which can be a positive trait for when life seems extra complicated.
Jon Champion
This book was a nice opportunity to understand the principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as well as understanding that kindness and compassion are the keys to many of life's locked doors.
Phil
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly valuable book that made a huge impact with my recovery over the past year. It's very easy to read and is written in a way that's friendly and understanding. The book does an amazing job with explaining depression and describing the importance of understanding it. This was useful to remove the self-blame, shame and frustrations that usually accompanies depression. I approached this book as if I was getting the most important lessons in my life and I've walked away with a lot of life ...more
Dave Flodine
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depression is insidious. I only clued into being affected by it again close to a month ago. I thought through a lot of work, I had put that behind me, but based on some huge life events, it obviously creeped its way back in and snuck up on me without my even knowing it.

Once I realised what was happening, I looked for some new techniques to dealing with depression and found this book.

I think it's a highly worthwhile read to anyone who is suffering or has suffered from depression. For those of you
Steve
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Marjorie
Combines cognitive therapy with Buddhist-flavored ideas of mindfulness and compassion. Almost 600 pages and packed with exercises. Haven't read it cover to cover, but read the beginning material and dip into the rest from time to time. Friendly writing style with a touch of British humor. Author is a psychologist and professor who received the OBE (Order of the British Empire) in January 2011 for his work.

Anser
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is not helpful at all. The information provided is not helpful to me.
Also, I think after reading this book, that I am not depressed. Thank God. I hope I stay this way.
After reading almost 18 chapters, still nothing helped, so I just stopped there.
I thought this book would help me, or maybe I would notice I am depressed.
Mohammed Ahsa
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actually its somehow difficult to rate a book abt subjects like depression n i gave it 4 cuz of the first part which was amazing by makin me understand it v well ..
n as it was mentioned there, If you suffer from depression, you are, sadly, far from being alone. In fact, it has been estimated that there may be over 350 million people in the world today who have it.
Lena
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Ένας καλογραμμένος οδηγός αυτοβοήθειας για όσους πάσχουν από κατάθλιψη, που φωτίζει το θέμα της ψυχικής διαταραχής από ιατρική-βιολογική- κοινωνική πλευρά, ενώ προτείνει λύσεις που μπορούν να εφαρμοστούν από τον ίδιο τον ασθενή, χρησιμοποιώντας γνωσιακές-συμπεριφοριστικές τεχνικές. Πολύ χρήσιμο, έχει την έγκριση του Ινστιτούτου Έρευνας και Θεραπείας της Συμπεριφοράς.
Christine Jolley
Sep 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has suffered from serious depression their entire lives I find it interesting how much cognitive behavioral techniques are pushed down our throats. If it was that easy to change our thinking, we would do it ourselves and wouldn't need a book to try to get advice on how to do it.
Mostafa Hussein
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
currently reading, this mindfullnes way looks tempting
Jackie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aya
This was a very good book and i need to read it.
Joanne
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive! I'd say it's rather same-y as a lot of other self help books I've read.
Molly Storm
rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2013
eboderokindle
Apr 17, 2017
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Get Your Sh!t Together
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Thechniques
  • John for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-10
  • The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age
  • Get Your Act Together: A 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed
  • 365 Goddess: A Daily Guide to the Magic and Inspiration of the Goddess
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Unbelievable: From My Childhood Dreams To Winning Olympic Gold
  • Affluenza
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • How to Win Any Argument: Without Raising Your Voice, Losing Your Cool, or Coming to Blows
  • Talk to the Tail: Adventures in Cat Ownership and Beyond
  • Private Battles: Our Intimate Diaries: How The War Almost Defeated Us
  • The Selfish Society: How We All Forgot to Love One Another and Made Money Instead
  • Between Extremes
  • Help for the Helper: The Psychophysiology of Compassion Fatigue and Vicarious Trauma

Overcoming (4 books)
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)

“depression haunts the lives of many” 1 likes