Start by marking “Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)

Buried Secrets (Nick Heller #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  5,621 Ratings  ·  544 Reviews
Nick has returned to his old home town of Boston to set up his own shop. There he’s urgently summoned by an old family friend. Hedge fund titan Marshall Marcus desperately needs Nick’s help. His teenage daughter, Alexandra, has just been kidnapped.

Her abduction was clearly a sophisticated, professional job, done with extraordinary precision, leaving no trace evidence. Alex
Published June 21st 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Buried Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried Secrets

Daniel Audet
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I started "Buried Secrets" by @JosephFinder the other day, this being my first book by him. The first thing that stuck me was the coolest dialogue, both internal and between the characters and the unique language of his author voice. Hip, not-run-of-the-mill bestseller structure at all. Take a look, peruse a few pages of this book at B&N or Target, and you'll see what I mean. The other things are Finder's slick execution of both the plot and how our hero Nick Heller navigates his way into a ...more
Mark
So I finally got caught up with the second Nicolas Heller book which is a very well written thriller that is easy to read and feels like a fast reads, but that could be due to the short chapters [the same trick James Patterson did in his early work, can't really comment on his later stuff]. The book has his white knight, the endangered damsel and a conspiracy.

Nicolas Heller tries to track down the daughter of a friend of the family, she has been kidnapped and her father being a billionaire the
Les Edgerton
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just when you think thriller writer Joseph Finder can’t possibly top himself… he does just that. His latest masterpiece—and, like every single one of his novels, it is just that—a masterpiece—Buried Secrets doesn’t have a single wasted word and there’s not a single page that can be read leisurely. Finder is simply the best at creating and maintaining tension. I read it on my Kindle and discovered I hated their feature of posting at the bottom the percentage of the novel read to date. At ten ...more
gert
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
(same review for both books in the series, copied and pasted. because i'm lazy).

i came upon the nick heller series by accident, and am seriously resenting there being only TWO books! so damn good!

here's what you need to know:

- similar to jack reacher, but better. nick heller has a great sense of humour and is far more self-aware then dear jack.
- way smart - the story arcs, the characters, the dialogue
- leaves us with some questions throughout (nick doesn't tell us EVERYTHING) which actually mak
Mike
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
i think Goodreads recommended this one and good they did. i listened to this audiobook to and from work and found myself parking and not leaving the car until the chapter was over. it was that good. The narrator did awesome and consistency in character voices and the accents were great!

As usual, i wasnt aware this was one of those returning character novels. Publishers dont care to make that stuff known upfront. But i didnt feel like i missed anything. This one read as a stand alone and once it
Maureen DeLuca
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The first half of this book- this was a 4 star read. After that, this book either dragged on and on and totally went of the rails.

I'd like to first say that as a character- I LOVE Nick Heller- and I'm so looking forward to more books. There are many 4 and 5 star reviews- so I guess you can take my review with a grain of salt-

Ok read- a bit of a disappointment as far as the story goes- but Nick Heller is a OK guy in my book-can only hope the next in this series is a good one !
William
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
AUDIO BOOK narrated very well by Holter Graham
The first 5 discs of the 8 total were flat and the story developed predictably. Maybe had I read this when first published I might have been enthralled by the technical introductions. Last part was exciting but Heller should have been killed.
The two stars is for Graham's performance so listen to it instead of reading the book.
Suspense Magazine
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
What secret could be so important it might cost a girl’s life? In Finder’s latest mystery, ex-intelligent operative Nick Heller seeks to answer this question. With a cast of expected characters (the rich man in dire straits with a closet full of skeletons, the terrified innocent teenager, the ruthless bad guy and an array of contacts, each with his or her own specialty) “Buried Secrets” takes you down a path strewn with corruption, lies and mortal danger. Along the way, layer by layer, you disco ...more
Gloria Feit
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a hard task to review such a well-written novel, peopled by interesting characters and with a well-drawn plot, yet have reservations because it seems to reverberate with clichés. There is Nick Heller, the second appearance by this former superspy turned Boston PI, who seems to be too good to be real. He knows everyone and seems to be smarter than them all; and some of the other characters seem like cardboard figures, especially some of the FBI personnel.

Yet the book is exciting, even rivet
Evan Dickens
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved Buried Secrets, just as I have loved and devoured every Joseph Finder book since I discovered the absolutely brilliant Paranoia (my pick for best pop fiction work in the 2000s). This book is another high-octane thriller, with Finder's usual immaculate research into the worlds of technology, espionage, and high finance. It also represents Finder's continuing desire to modernize the dialogue and narration, with pop culture references galore.

In short, highly recommended, but I write to exp
  • The Insider
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Iron House
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • Oath of Office (Dr. Lou Welcome, #1)
  • On Borrowed Time
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • Taken (Elvis Cole, #15; Joe Pike, #4)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3)
  • The Capitol Game
  • The Shadow Patrol (John Wells, #6)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...

Nick Heller (3 books)
  • Vanished (Nick Heller, #1)
  • Guilty Minds (Nick Heller, #3)
“As the saying goes not every conspiracy is a theory.” 9 likes