Start by marking “Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

Throne of Glass

(Throne of Glass #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  698,638 ratings  ·  49,295 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN13: 9781599906959.

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are m
Published August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's (first published August 2nd 2012)
Featured Notes & Highlights
Sarah Maas
Sarah Maas - author, fantasy, romance

To ask other readers questions about Throne of Glass, please sign up.
Dorian I didn't enjoy any of the books in this series, and the second book definitely isn't any better than the first. It only really serves to make Celaena …moreI didn't enjoy any of the books in this series, and the second book definitely isn't any better than the first. It only really serves to make Celaena even more "special", trying to strongarm readers into admiring her when there's not really a lot to care about.

There are no spoilers below; they're all mentioned in the blurb of Book 1.

Celaena is too over-the-top powerful and special, her skills are mentioned but barely ever shown or proven, the narration boasts and boasts that "she's awesome, really!" but all the reader ever gets to see is her whining, her petty revenge and non-stop "witty" banter. Almost every word of dialogue she gets to spout is annoying and cringey.

In the first book, people are constantly turning up dead. (But don't get too excited, 90% of the deaths happen behind the scenes and are only mentioned in passing.) While all this is happening, Celaena finds a random bag of sweets in her room, and she decides to eat them. But she's like the smartest person ever. That's why she eats it even though it could have been poisoned, because she's so clever and it's totally not the dumbest thing to do.

If Celaena meets a female character, she puts them down because she's not like other girls. She's better than other girls! If other girls so much as LOOK at anybody Celaena fancies, then they're stupid, corrupt liars. If they're Celaena's friend, then they're marginally better off, and the narration shows them a LITTLE bit of respect. This isn't a series to read if you're looking for strong friendships among women who support each other.

I honestly think this series is among the worst I've ever read. The writing is clumsy and sloppy, the set-up is half-baked, and half the deaths happen offscreen, at least in the first book.

EDIT: I decided to come back and make my answer even more comprehensive, because there was a lot I left out the first time.(less)
Erin I mean, I'm thirteen, and I read it last year. The sex scene is a little cringe, but it's really. Not. That. Bad.
The school library has it on restrict…more
The school library has it on restricted loan, so... 14-15, but what I've found is that parents think something is 16+, and the kids who have read it think it's appropriate for younger than that age group. I think it's the KIDS we should listen to, since they're the ones who really matter as far as the fact that if they're sensitive to it, it's probably not appropriate. It might pose some questions about sex if kids don't know what it is (but most 10-11 year olds do) but so long as they know about that sort of thing, it's not too bad. There's no real graphicness to it, and to all these parents saying '16+!' maybe it's time to have another kid. Because if you want to keep young kids forever, you really need to re-think parenting. I'm not telling you how to be a parent, because I'm not one myself, but at the same time, it annoys me when there's so many restrictions on shit like this because parents are pananoid and don't want to let us grow up.
Yes, the young and innocent are great! But at the same time, as soon as kids find out about the Birds and the Bees, you can't stop them growing up. Kids become adults, and personally, I've found that reading slightly more adult scenes in books has helped me explore what it's like to grow up and be more adult. So I'm going to say, about 12, because it might be a bit disturbing or a little bit of an issue with younger kids, but honestly, if you want to keep your kids innocent forever, don't let them read anything, ban them from the Internet, and watch them like Big Brother 24/7. And they'll probably STILL find out about stuff, find a way to read shit like this. So please, it's NOT 16+. More like about 12+.(less)

·  698,638 ratings  ·  49,295 reviews

Start your review of Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
Kitten Blue
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? What the hell is this shit? How do you screw up your story quite so badly after starting from an INCREDIBLE premise involving the most notorious assassin in the land - now a slave - being offered the chance to win back her freedom, sort of, in a "to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land" [says the back of my book, conveniently forgetting that (a) right before the final duels, the king specifically states that the competitors "can wi ...more
NReads
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

____________________________________________

5 BADASS STARS!

First of all,look at this amazing cover.I also liked the first one but this is a masterpiece.I do have a weakness for awesome covers,that's why I decided to read this.Also a lot of people recommended this to me,and I heard great

Natalie Monroe
Once again, it seems like I'm in the minority for this book because I didn't like it. It's such a shame too because I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it. Oh well, maybe it's just me...or maybe because this book just plain sucks.

Let's start off with our protagonist, Celaena who's the "greatest assassin in the world."

Okay, I'm cool with that. But it'd be nice if she could actually prove it because from what I've seen, she's once hell of a crappy assassin. People walk in and out of her room all t
Miranda Reads
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this one for TCE Book Club!

description

I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.
Man oh man, this was a good one

Celaena, an 18-year-old master assassin, spent the last year as a salt-mine slave as punishment for her crimes.

She's slowly wasting away but one day, the prince (along with his guard) comes by to lift her from her bondage.

The king is in need of an Champion and had devised a convoluted plan to obtain one.

All of his trusted advisers submit one cri
Inge
Oct 09, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF 35%

Meet Celaena. She’s the world’s best assassin. Or so we’re told. She’s very, very talented. Very talented. And famous. She’s also really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, *takes a deep breath* really pretty.
It was true that she had been attractive once, beautiful even.

She looked at her rags and stained skin, and she could
Janina
Sorry, but it looks like I've been excited for NOTHING. After enticing me with its promises of a reading experience reminiscent of Megan Whalen Turner and George R.R. Martin, Throne of Glass ultimately let me down. Having been excited for this novel for weeks and actually liking the sample I read, I have been brought back to earth now – with a jolt. This YA fantasy is a rather sorry example of its genre.

I have the notion that a big part of this book did not work for me because of its heroine. Ce
shady boots

First cover: "Yeah, don't I look badass in this? Wait, hold on, does my hair and makeup look okay? I think I need to pose like this, so I look all strong and tough."

Second cover: "Fuck off or I'll end you."

I still stand by my opinions on the covers. I never liked the first cover, and am infinitely grateful that they changed them for the sequels. But as far as how Celaena herself is? I would say she's a bit of both. I feel like these covers portray two very different extremes, and Celaena seemed
Rick Riordan
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caleana Sardothien, young woman assassin, is betrayed and sentenced to the salt mines of Endovier. After a year, however, she is given an opportunity: If she wins a contest to become the king's champion, she will be granted a four-year contract, working as an assassin for the empire she hates, at the end of which time she will be freed. After reading the premise of the book, I thought, "Sign me up!" After the first chapter, I knew I was in good hands. This book has plenty of mystery, magic, humo ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Characters were badly written, the plot was full of telling instead of showing.
Very underwhelmed after hearing for years that this was THE YA series to read.

I don't mind unlikeable characters, heck I love them but it didn't feel I was supposed to dislike our main snowflake. So tired of the "strong" female character who can kill everyone in a heartbeat but she's tiny and incredibly pretty, she hates all other women and... Oh also everyone wants her... just because.

For more details and quotes, h
Caz (littlebookowl)
3.5-4 stars? I CAN'T DECIDE JUST YET!
I decided to reread this book, as I am about to continue on with the series, finally!
I did really enjoy this the second time round, but found myself a little more critical of a few things. I will be doing a full video review of this soon, so look forward to more of my thoughts then :)
Ben Alderson

JUST
SO
F******
GOOD!

What is even going on, how did i not read this sooner! I am now onto Crown Of Midnight and DYING!
LOVE LOVE LOVE

I FINALLY READ IT PEOPLE!
SO HAPPY
Navessa

WHAT I WAS EXPECTING:

WHAT I GOT:

Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

I am an occasional liar. I don't lie often, but when I do lie, trust me, I might pass as a lie-detector scammer, don't test me, I'm ruthless. But in general, I prefer to be brutally honest and direct. That's my true nature.
Today, I could've easily lied and said that I've wanted to read this book, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, for as long as I remember, but I’ve chosen to tell the truth instead: two months before actually reading it I’
Khurram
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well formed and excellently developed. There are recognisable and enjoyable twist on the classic Cinderella. Example Celaena Sardothien's fairy godmother is a ghost of an ancient warrior queen. There are also slight touches such as Celaena has an innate charm with animals.

I was also very impressed with the pacing and evolution of the story. Honestly the 406 pages just seem to fly by. Just because Celaena was the greatest of assassins after being in
Emily May
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of light, chick lit-style fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
It feels like Throne of Glass has been a book I've been thinking about maybe reading for a million years. The reviews and ratings from my GR friends on this book are very mixed and I can easily see why after finishing this entertaining but disappointingly tame and romance-y young adult fantasy. Throne of Glass is like Shadow and Bone round two. The premise is awesome for both: full of hardcore warriors/assassins, royal/noble secrets and scandals, a touch of magic... but each one, though entertai ...more
Elle (ellexamines)
I hateread a chapter from book five of this series with a friend. And I'm going to register my opinion that while it may have slightly improved in character development or worldbuilding or etc etc etc - I wouldn't know - it is, objectively, just as horribly written as this book.

And that's the tea.

🌺 montage of me screaming "why is this hyped" for five hours

Let me give this book one minuscule fragment of credit: the plot isn't horrible. Okay, yeah, the plot is kind of boring and there
jessica
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
upon reread, i am going to bump up my rating. knowing how the story plays out over the span of 7 books, its allowed me to view this with a different perspective and im able to appreciate this more than when i started the series for the first time.

what i thought was simplistic storytelling, i now see humble beginnings. what i thought was lack of plot, i now see subtly laid foundations. and what i thought was a predictable ending, i now see necessary building blocks.

i think this will still remai
booksNpenguins
We each survive in our own way.

This is going to be a rather personal review because Throne of Glass took away a week of my life and my SJM virginity.
I wish I’d let it wine and dine me, first.
At least, I’d still have the good memory of a nice six course dinner.

banner-di-bobi.jpg

It’s not like I have a problem with this book, but…I do have a problem with this book.
A couple, actually, and they mainly involve the writing and a certain main character which I won't name for now.
Now, before I start, I must s
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US 10/25/20

Yes, I have multiple books and bookish things of some of my favorite authors. You should see my Harry Potter stuff =) ↓

I listened to the audio this time. It took a minute to get used to the narrator but I finally got settled in with her.

I love Celaena Sardothien. She was taken from Endovier (the death camp) and brought to the castle to fight with other Champions. If she wins then she has to kill for the King for 4 years and then she is free. I have a feeling that
Maria
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Here I am again, back in a different world of Sarah J. Maas! This is a very popular series. An extremely popular series, an exceptionally hyped up series, a tremendously OLD AF SERIES. Listen to me here, if I were a fantasy fan when I was a teenager, I would have definitely read this book. But you know, my relationship with fantasy hasn't been lit for the last 2583 years, so I hadn't picke
Tomoe Hotaru
I'm afraid this just wasn't for me. I heard it being sold as GRR Martin's Game of Thrones written for the female audience --- well, as a female audience, I am offended. As an avid reader of the fantasy genre, I am saddened that this is marketed as a fantasy-for-females. This being a YA does not excuse it from being riddled with clichés, painfully obvious foreshadowing, and a ghost of a fantasy world ruthlessly overshadowed by romantic overtones.
Fans of fantasy - actual fantasy - I don't suppose
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5-4 Stars

Yeah, I know. I’m the last fucker around to read this book. But I saw the whole series in spiffy hardcover on sale at Costco and so, of course, I responsibly bought only the first one to make sure I liked it before buying more bought the whole damn series in one go because, well, no impulse control.

But anyway.

This was fun. I liked it. I look forward to the next one.
Which is good.
Since, as I said, I already have the next one, and the one after that...

Oh, and #TeamChaol

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Regan
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was sooooo goood! The main female character is amazing, SHE WAS PRACTICAL. Not to mention completely badass, and could kill anyone with a hairpin if she wanted to. Great high fantasy, i cannot wait for the next in the series! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Edit: Lost a few friends over this book, so on it goes to the books-that-made-me-lose-friends shelf, where it can party with my feminism and anti-Trump reads. #NeverthelessSheKeptReviewing

Sarah J. Maas is basically the Taylor Swift of books: they are both among the most well known (if not THE most well known) in the genres they create work for, and have cultish fan bases that believe they can do no wrong. And both, in my opinion, are ove
sunny
if this garbage can get somehow miraculously get published then i have hope the smut i wrote three years ago can too. this book is fucking horrible. i wanted some badassery but instead i got a shitty love traingle and annoying characters who i wished just......... died.

i was so incredibly bored for the first 130 pages of this book and them i skimmed so much that i made it to page 295 in two minutes. then i forced myself to suffer and actually read and i found it somewhat alright

but this book wa
Warda
Reread x5! And that’s the review.

—————————-

Reread x 4!
I can’t believe this series is coming to an end. 😢
It’s brought me so much comfort and happiness.

Obsession isn’t enough of a word to describe what I feel towards Sarah J Maas and these books. Fandoms have never been my thing. Well, since Harry Potter. Then I came across her books because of the hype and I am grateful to have found people as loony over it as I am.

——————————————————

This series seems to be getting better with every reread! An
Sasha Alsberg
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SO. FREAKING. GOOD. My review will be up this week on my channel Abookutopia :)
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
DNF @ 50%

This book was such a huge disappointment.

A young, notorious female assassin is thrust into a competition where she must fight for her freedom in exchange for service as the King's body guard? That sounds awesome, right? Too bad this book didn't deliver on that premise.

There's no way some badass assassin would have a giggly, carefree demeanor upon meeting Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol, these are both people she should loathe? This is not a girl who should notice how the sun shines in
Bibi
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ who cares

*Update 08/13/2020*
The fandom for TOG is constantly harassing anyone whose opinion differs from theirs and for what? A book written by an author who doesn't know or care for them? Honestly, it's ridiculous.

Original review
A badass assassin who keeps telling us how badass she is all while doing nothing to live up to the supposed badassery.

Can I just say this review is badass, like the best I've ever written. If I were any more badass, I'd burn myself. Do you even know how cool I a
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I will not be afraid. For a year, those words had meant the difference between breaking and bending; they had kept her from shattering in the darkness of the mines.”

Okay since this was a re-read and my daughter is keeping me busy I’ll try to make it simple and short.

I’m still in love with Celaena’s world and I can’t wait to read the second book. This time however I only gave the book four stars. I don’t know why my opinion changed but for me it just wasn’t a five star read anymore. Maybe the pl
Shut Up & Read: Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Maas 12 9 Jun 14, 2021 12:10PM
The Introvert Rea...: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 21 46 Jun 06, 2021 06:25AM
The Book Lovers H...: | Elimination Games: Throne of Glass | 23 23 May 26, 2021 08:13AM
The garden of books: Throne of Glass 8 18 May 25, 2021 08:13AM
The Katie McGrath...: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, July 2019 1 10 May 22, 2021 02:07PM

• The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
See top shelves…
Sarah J. Maas is the #1 New York Times and internationally bestselling author of the Crescent City, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and the Throne of Glass series. Her books have sold more than twelve million copies and are published in thirty-seven languages. A New York native, Sarah lives in Philadelphia with her husband, son, and dog. To find out more, visit sarahjmaas.com or follow @therealsjmaas ...more

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)

Articles featuring this book

Ever wonder what bestselling authors like Sarah J. Maas, Neil Gaiman, Paulo Coelho, or Tayari Jones were thinking as they were writing?...
“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 8832 likes
“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.” 6901 likes