Start by marking “Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

Throne of Glass

(Throne of Glass #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  420,498 Ratings  ·  34,312 Reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN13: 9781599906959.

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are m
Published August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's (first published August 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Throne of Glass, please sign up.
Dorian I didn't enjoy either of them. I think there are much better books out there.

The second book only really serves to make Celaena even more "special…more
I didn't enjoy either of them. I think there are much better books out there.

The second book only really serves to make Celaena even more "special snowflake".

Celaena is too over-the-top powerful and special, her skills are mentioned but barely ever shown, the narration boasts and boasts that "she's awesome, really!" but all the reader ever gets to see is her whining, her petty revenge and non-stop "witty" banter.

That and she constantly puts down other women because she's "not like them" and shames them for daring to fancy the people she likes. If a woman isn't Celaena or her friend, they're basically depicted as an idiot, liar or otherwise corrupt.

I honestly think this series is among the worst I've ever read. (less)
Chelsey Westergard The first book was pretty clean, although "dark". I couldn't finish the 5th book though. It took a big turn and had some pretty descriptive sex…moreThe first book was pretty clean, although "dark". I couldn't finish the 5th book though. It took a big turn and had some pretty descriptive sex scenes. It didn't need all that garbage, so I didn't finish the series. This book also makes light of lying, stealing, killing, and cheating. It almost promotes them as good qualities. The story was interesting so I kept reading but shouldn't have. Definitely not a feel good book.(less)

Kitten Blue
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? What the hell is this shit? How do you screw up your story quite so badly after starting from an INCREDIBLE premise involving the most notorious assassin in the land - now a slave - being offered the chance to win back her freedom, sort of, in a "to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land" [says the back of my book, conveniently forgetting that (a) right before the final duels, the king specifically states that the competitors "can wi ...more
Inge
DNF 35%

Meet Celaena. She’s the world’s best assassin. Or so we’re told. She’s very, very talented. Very talented. And famous. She’s also really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, *takes a deep breath* really pretty.
It was true that she had been attractive once, beautiful even.

She looked at her rags and stained skin, and she couldn’
Navessa
What I was expecting:

What I got:

Assassin fail. Annoying heroine win. Maybe I could buy this chick as a badass had she not been:

- Annoying
- Unintelligent
- Emotionally unstable
- Obsessed with appearances
- Ruled by her hubris
- In love with exclamation points!!!!!!!!
- An open book, expression wise
- About as subtle as a rhinoceros
- Incapable of hitting a slow moving target with a flower pot

This might just be a case of “It’s not you, it’s me”. You see, I’v
shady boots | #WatchPOSE

First cover: "Yeah, don't I look badass in this? Wait, hold on, does my hair and makeup look okay? I think I need to pose like this, so I look all strong and tough."

Second cover: "Fuck off or I'll end you."

I still stand by my opinions on the covers. I never liked the first cover, and am infinitely grateful that they changed them for the sequels. But as far as how Celaena herself is? I would say she's a bit of both. I feel like these covers portray two very different extremes, and Celaena seemed
Rick Riordan
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caleana Sardothien, young woman assassin, is betrayed and sentenced to the salt mines of Endovier. After a year, however, she is given an opportunity: If she wins a contest to become the king's champion, she will be granted a four-year contract, working as an assassin for the empire she hates, at the end of which time she will be freed. After reading the premise of the book, I thought, "Sign me up!" After the first chapter, I knew I was in good hands. This book has plenty of mystery, magic, humo ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
3.5-4 stars? I CAN'T DECIDE JUST YET!
I decided to reread this book, as I am about to continue on with the series, finally!
I did really enjoy this the second time round, but found myself a little more critical of a few things. I will be doing a full video review of this soon, so look forward to more of my thoughts then :)
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Want to be updated on everything Throne of Glass?
Visit the Throne of Glass fansite!

CELAENA be all like:

Leaving me like:

Let me just clear things up. People are rating this book low because they don't "like" Celaena, saying she's "arrogant" or "self-centred" or "over-confident," first of all, if Celaena were a guy, you'd be head-over-heels for her. But she's a girl and now her story is being over-looked because, instead of drowning in self-pity, she decides to stand up, throw her hair over her sho
Ben Alderson

JUST
SO
F******
GOOD!

What is even going on, how did i not read this sooner! I am now onto Crown Of Midnight and DYING!
LOVE LOVE LOVE

I FINALLY READ IT PEOPLE!
SO HAPPY
Natalie Monroe
Once again, it seems like I'm in the minority for this book because I didn't like it. It's such a shame too because I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it. Oh well, maybe it's just me...or maybe because this book just plain sucks.

Let's start off with our protagonist, Celaena who's the "greatest assassin in the world."

Okay, I'm cool with that. But it'd be nice if she could actually prove it because from what I've seen, she's once hell of a crappy assassin. People walk in and out of her room all t
Janina
Sorry, but it looks like I've been excited for NOTHING. After enticing me with its promises of a reading experience reminiscent of Megan Whalen Turner and George R.R. Martin, Throne of Glass ultimately let me down. Having been excited for this novel for weeks and actually liking the sample I read, I have been brought back to earth now – with a jolt. This YA fantasy is a rather sorry example of its genre.

I have the notion that a big part of this book did not work for me because of its heroine. Ce
Raeleen Lemay
DNF at 29%

I'M SORRY. I JUST CAN'T DO IT. I feel like I could have really enjoyed this book... Two years ago. The hype absolutely killed it for me. Celaena is also really annoying so I'm just going to stop reading this.

I know everybody says the books get better later on but I like to enjoy the beginning and the characters before I invest my time in a 6-book series.
Nick
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

____________________________________________
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

____________________________________________

5 BADASS STARS!

First of all,look at this amazing cover.I also liked the first one but this is a masterpiece.I do have a weakness for awesome covers,that's why I decided to read this.Also a lot of people recommended this to me,and I heard great things and

Emily May
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of light, chick lit-style fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2013
It feels like Throne of Glass has been a book I've been thinking about maybe reading for a million years. The reviews and ratings from my GR friends on this book are very mixed and I can easily see why after finishing this entertaining but disappointingly tame and romance-y young adult fantasy. Throne of Glass is like Shadow and Bone round two. The premise is awesome for both: full of hardcore warriors/assassins, royal/noble secrets and scandals, a touch of magic... but each one, though entertai ...more
Lia  Pidgey
This is going to be a rather personal review because Throne of Glass took away a week of my life and my SJM virginity.
I wish I’d let it wine and dine me, first.
At least, I’d still have the good memory of a nice six course dinner.

It’s not like I have a problem with this book, but…I do have a problem with this book.
A couple, actually, and they mainly involve the writing and a certain main character which I won't name for now.
Now, before I start, I must say that I’ve been forewarned by a lot of
Khurram
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well formed and excellently developed. There are recognisable and enjoyable twist on the classic Cinderella. Example Celaena Sardothien's fairy godmother is a ghost of an ancient warrior queen. There are also slight touches such as Celaena has an innate charm with animals.

I was also very impressed with the pacing and evolution of the story. Honestly the 406 pages just seem to fly by. Just because Celaena was the greatest of assassins after being in
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
3.5-4 Stars

Yeah, I know. I’m the last fucker around to read this book. But I saw the whole series in spiffy hardcover on sale at Costco and so, of course, I responsibly bought only the first one to make sure I liked it before buying more bought the whole damn series in one go because, well, no impulse control.

But anyway.

This was fun. I liked it. I look forward to the next one.
Which is good.
Since, as I said, I already have the next one, and the one after that...

Oh, and #TeamChaol

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Sasha Alsberg
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SO. FREAKING. GOOD. My review will be up this week on my channel Abookutopia :)
Maria
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Here I am again, back in a different world of Sarah J. Maas! This is a very popular series. An extremely popular series, an exceptionally hyped up series, a tremendously OLD AF SERIES. Listen to me here, if I were a fantasy fan when I was a teenager, I would have definitely read this book. But you know, my relationship with fantasy hasn't been lit for the last 2583 years, so I hadn't picked it
Regan
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was sooooo goood! The main female character is amazing, SHE WAS PRACTICAL. Not to mention completely badass, and could kill anyone with a hairpin if she wanted to. Great high fantasy, i cannot wait for the next in the series! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I hateread a chapter from book five of this series with a friend. And I'm going to register my opinion that while it may have slightly improved in character development or worldbuilding or etc etc etc - I wouldn't know - it is, objectively, just as horribly written as this book.

And that's the tea.

🌺 montage of me screaming "why is this hyped" for five hours

Let me give this book one minuscule fragment of credit: the plot isn't horrible. Okay, yeah, the plot is kind of boring and there are a lo
manda
I'm afraid this just wasn't for me. I heard it being sold as GRR Martin's Game of Thrones written for the female audience --- well, as a female audience, I am offended. As an avid reader of the fantasy genre, I am saddened that this is marketed as a fantasy-for-females. This being a YA does not excuse it from being riddled with clichés, painfully obvious foreshadowing, and a ghost of a fantasy world ruthlessly overshadowed by romantic overtones.
Fans of fantasy - actual fantasy - I don't suppose
Warda
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread x 4!
I can’t believe this series is coming to an end. 😢
It’s brought me so much comfort and happiness.

Obsession isn’t enough of a word to describe what I feel towards Sarah J Maas and these books. Fandoms have never been my thing. Well, since Harry Potter. Then I came across her books because of the hype and I am grateful to have found people as loony over it as I am.

——————————————————

This series seems to be getting better with every reread! And this book in particular as it was my least
Steph Sinclair
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who are looking for a fantasy novel with strong female characters

Actual rating 3.5 stars

Thorne of Glass has a lot going for it. It's packed full of action, mystery, likable characters and fun dialogue. On the flip side, it also has a few tropes that I usually make me want to rip my hair out strand by strand: the love triangle, semi-insta love and predictable plot twists. That by no means makes this a bad book, because despite those annoyances, I was fully engrossed in Throne of Glass.

The Plot and Writing:

While the synopsis may come off feeling a little Hunger
Sana
if this garbage can get somehow miraculously get published then i have hope the smut i wrote three years ago can too. this book is fucking horrible. i wanted some badassery but instead i got a shitty love traingle and annoying characters who i wished just......... died.

i was so incredibly bored for the first 130 pages of this book and them i skimmed so much that i made it to page 295 in two minutes. then i forced myself to suffer and actually read and i found it somewhat alright

but this book wa
emi
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who hate rowturd bc he's not in this book hooray
0/5 stars

5,000/5 stars

“Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back.”

warning: anything marked spoiler is a spoiler for the entire series. so maybe beware or something if you are that one person who hasn't read up to Empire of Storms okay? there may also be some unmarked spoilers bc this review is 3,000 words long and i'm too lazy to read through it a thousandth time.

So even though I am certified trash™ for
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
DNF @ 50%

This book was such a huge disappointment.

A young, notorious female assassin is thrust into a competition where she must fight for her freedom in exchange for service as the King's body guard? That sounds awesome, right? Too bad this book didn't deliver on that premise.

There's no way some badass assassin would have a giggly, carefree demeanor upon meeting Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol, these are both people she should loathe? This is not a girl who should notice how the sun shines in
Mitch
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Throne of Glass came to me highly recommended by someone who thinks Twilight is among the best books of all time, so I was instantly wary, but I promised to keep an open mind since, well, high fantasy and a kick ass assassin, what could go wrong? Well, a lot, apparently. I’m not saying this book is by any means on Twilight’s level of awfulness, but it is one of the shallowest, least impressive fantasies I’ve ever read.

I've never read the original, but I think I have a good idea where Sarah J. Ma
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I saw my sister after I finished reading THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas, she was in the middle of reading the latest book from one of her favorite series.

I did not care. I pestered, cajoled, and harassed her until she downloaded the THRONE OF GLASS sample chapters and read them.

She stopped reading her book and read ToG until the wee morning hours when she finished it.

*lap of victory*

A few months later, my mom came to visit for a long weekend. Her first n
Christine Riccio
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
LOVED THIS BOOK: Here's my full review complete with discussion and theories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlmj_t...
Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 STARS

If I'm totally honest, this started out S-L-O-W......... And not what I expected at all, but hear me out! Put down the pitchforks and fire! I'm still on board; Queen SJM hasn't lost me yet!

After reading the back blurb, I was imagining this competition something more of a Battle Royale or Hunger Games-esque battle to the death. Color me surprised when I'm 200 pages in and basically NO face time is given to this competition. The first 70% of this book books is mainly:

1) "Wow! Look at thi
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Soulbound (Legacy of Tril, #1)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)
  • Brightly Woven
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 7032 likes
“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.” 5296 likes