Start by marking “Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes

Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes

(Fancy Nancy)

An I Can Read story from New York Times bestselling duo Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser:

Yummy, cupcakes are scrumptious (that’s fancy for tasty!). Nancy is thrilled to be making cupcakes for the bake sale! But will she remember to follow all of Mom's directions?

Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes, a Level One I Can Read adventure, is carefully crafted using shor
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperCollins

Jenn
Don't judge read it to little girl
La Coccinelle
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This Fancy Nancy book has listening as a theme. It starts at school when Nancy is too busy daydreaming about cupcakes to listen to her teacher. (To her credit, she apologizes after class.) At home, Nancy and her mom bake cupcakes for the school bake sale. When they're done, she takes some over to her neighbour. Her mom tells her to make sure not to put the cupcakes where Frenchy (the dog) can reach them. But Nancy's listening skills are a bit lacking, and you can guess what happens next. (The fa ...more
Kathryn
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Fancy Nancy fun. This time, she is baking some FANCY cupcakes for a school library fundraiser (worthy cause, yay!) But, when things go amiss, how will they get the cupcakes ready in time? This was going to be only three stars for me as it's not Glasser's own illustrations and also I do at times get a little annoyed at the (sometimes awkward) insertion of Nancy's "fancy" words and their definitions--a bit of a stumble in the flow of the text, IMO; but I loved the message about the importance ...more
Crystal Marcos
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We adored this book! Adore-to really, really like something.=) I think that my 2 year old daughter and I like this book more than maybe we would have if we were not cupcake fans. We just made a cake together for her birthday so she recognized some of the steps in baking. I think this would be a fun book to read and to make cupcakes in the same day. Even better a great book for your child's first bake sale. The message here is a good one, teaching about being a good listener.
Susan
It is quite misleading to have this book, with words like "exhausted" and "delectable", labeled as a level 1 beginning reader.
Scott Middleton
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Dear Readers that like Fancy Nancy,

Do you like to read books that have characters that usually make mistakes? Well, I do! If you do, then I prefer you to read the book, "Fancy Nancy and the delectable cupcakes," because Fancy Nancy makes mistakes!

In this book, the problem is Frenchy (Fancy Nancy's puppy) ate up all the cupcakes! Will they have time to bake more, or will the bake sale be ruined? Find out in the book whether the bake sale is ruined or they baked another batch.

I think the author's
Tracey
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes: I Can Read Level 1
Illustrator: Based on the art of Robin Preiss Glasser
Genre: Early Reader, I Can Read!, Beginner Reader
Theme(s): Listening Fiction, Vocabulary Fiction, Baking Fiction

Opening line/sentence: “ I adore school.”

Brief Book Summary:
Nancy is a whimsical and fun young girl who loves anything fancy, glittery, and bursting with color, but Nancy is also not a great listener. She decides to bake cupcakes for her school’
Nicole Blicht
Reading Log #3- Early Reader

Title Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
Illustrator Robin Preiss Glasser
Genre: Early Reader, Children’s Literature, and Picture Book
Theme(s): Following directions, Not giving up
Opening line/sentence I adore school.
Brief Book Summary This book in the Fancy Nancy series is about Nancy being so excited to bake for her schools bake sale. The bake sale is to raise money for library books. Nancy wants to make the cupcakes extremely pretty. She wor
Melissa Newton

Theme(s): Optimism, The Importance of Listening

Opening line/sentence:
I adore school.

Brief Book Summary:
Fancy Nancy’s class is having a bake sale and she is eager to make cupcakes for it. Fancy Nancy struggles to be a good listener, however, and her dog, Frenchy gobbles up all of the lovely cupcakes when Fancy Nancy leaves them in her reach. Fancy Nancy’s dad comes to the rescu
Olivia barnett
Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes is level 1 young readers picture book. This is intended for readers ages 6-8.

This story is simple cute story about Nancy preparing to make cupcakes, she buys all the ingredients and makes the cupcakes and is so excited ... and then her dog eats them! Oh no what will she do?? This story is cute and illustrated very well, Nancy the character is a cute relatable corky little girl , who often tries very hard at things until they go wrong and then she problem s
Emma Zvonar
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy books are great for introducing "fancy" vocabulary because the book used big words but Nancy explains to the reader what each word means. In this book Nancy has to make cupcakes for a bake sale. She has trouble listening in class and almost misses the fact that there will be a bake sale. The teacher reminds her to work on her listening. At home, her mom tells Nancy to move her cupcakes that she worked hard on to a spot the dog couldn't get them. Again, Nancy doesn't listen so the dog ...more
Elizabeth K.
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-lucy
Will I review every Fancy Nancy story we read? Aren't they all essentially the same? Why does my daughter love Fancy Nancy so much? Is it weird that she can "read" a Fancy Nancy book because she can apparently memorize every word after one listen, but claims she can't read sight word flashcards because they are "too hard"?

I will add here that one thing I really appreciate about the endless adventures of Fancy Nancy is that she's a nice kid. The humor is never about being bratty or snarky.
Megan Gilchrist
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an I Can Read about Fancy Nancy’s bake sale and cupcakes. My favorite part was when Frenchy ate Fancy Nancy’s cupcakes because it was funny! The pictures really help to tell the story. I like this book very because it was funny and it made me hungry! Girls who are between 5-12 would like it.

~Skye, age 7
Amber Thomas
What a fun way to get beginning readers engaged and excited about reading. This book was fun, had a good story and was a great way to incorporate a well-known character like Fancy Nancy into an early reader book! I also loved the illustrations and thought that they were a great help contextually for children who are beginning to read.
Megan Billick
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for kids who are just learning to read with it's easy words and shorter sentences. I thought it was a cute book and very entertaining for young kids.
Superreader200
Cute little girl book which has "fancy" words! Fun and Easy to read! Keeps a young girl looking at all the fancy pictures!
Megan
The school bake sale is coming up, and Fancy Nancy is planning to bake cupcakes to sell. The only thing is, she forgets to follow one of the steps.
Veronica
Brooke Wagner
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes is about a little girl, Nancy, who is helping her mom bake cupcakes for the school bake sale. The backing goes as planned and the cupcakes come out wonderfully. However, then Nancy places the cupcakes on a table where the dog eats them and they have to make the cupcakes all over again. Fortunately Nancy's dad brings home ingredients for cupcakes thinking he was supposed to pick them up and so they make them all over again.

The main theme/lesson in the book
Savannah
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes is a beautifully written book for young readers, specifically great for a little girl with a big personality. Fancy Nancy is baking some cupcakes for her school's upcoming bake sale. Things are going perfect until her mischievous dog, Frenchie, decides he wants a taste of Nancy's cupcakes.

This book is very appealing to young readers because of its simple word choice and small sentences. The author, Jane O'Connor, likes to define words within her story lin
Jamala Alkeshi
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is probably my favorite childrens book I have read so far. The story is very sweet, I can see it being captivating for a young girl reading it as they put themselves in fancy nancy's shoes. I like how theres a concrete moral to the story that you need to learn how to listen better, but what is different about this book is that the moral applies to everyone not just Nancy but her parents too. This shows that everyone needs to learn how to listen better and that everyone makes mistakes. ...more
Dolly
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about making cupcakes, but also about listening. I like that these stories incorporate a little bit of vocabulary, a little lesson and a lot of girly frills. Nancy cooks with style and flair and the illustrations are so expressive - you know exactly how she is feeling.

We've really enjoyed the books in the Fancy Nancy series and always grab a new one at the library when we see it. We've read this one a couple of times.
Margaret Chind
May it's because we are planning for birthdays and have cupcakes on the brain. I'm sure it doesn't help that a brand new cupcakery just opened up in town... No matter what this was a great read for us. Nancy is participating with her class in a bake sale and learning the importance of good listening skills. While I'm more of the mind that French, the poodle, was the one with dismal behavior (dismal is a fancy word for extremely bad :) ) it is true that Nancy was not listening, but I bet she will ...more
Tam
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
We've read several Fancy Nancy books and this is one of the better ones. However, it's labeled as a "Beginning Reader" meaning it has "simple sentences for eager NEW readers". I don't agree. To me, a new reader is still reading shorter sentences and easier words. This book has quite a few sentences per page for a new reader and some of the words aren't words that most early readers know (but I guess they can sound them out) like definitely, delectable, exhausted, success.
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O'Connor, J. "Fancy nancy and the delectable cupcakes". (2010). New York: Harper Collins.

This is an easy reader about a character named Fancy Nancy. They are having a bake sale at school. Fancy Nancy bakes cupcakes. She doesn't listen to her mother when she tells her to put them up, and the dog eats them. Luckily, Fancy Nancy's father thought he was supposed to get the cupcake ingredients. She is able to remake them, and this time she listens to her mother.
Nikki
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Fancy Nancy books because I like how new words are introduced and have a vocabulary list called "Fancy Nancy's Fancy Words" at the end. With her mom's help she remembers to follow directions for delectable cupcakes except Nancy forgot to listen to one of her mom's very important instructions that could ruin Nancy's cupcakes.
Candice
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this cute book to teach my students the cafe strategy, Tune into Interesting Words. We read the book but stopped at words my students felt were interesting or didn't know what they meant such as delectable, aroma, repeat, and velvet. They enjoyed the plot line as Fancy Nancy was so excited about the bake sale. I enjoyed sharing it with them.
Marisa
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-shelf
Christine Turner
Nancy has been having a little trouble paying attention in class--but when it's time to get ready for the school bake sale, she is all ears. With Mom's help, Nancy remembers to follow all of the directions for a delectable batch of cupcakes . . . except for one very important detail!

Subject: Baking -- Juvenile fiction.
Listening -- Juvenile fiction.
Vocabulary -- Juvenile fiction.
Rosa Cline
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Fancy Nancy has become a good series of books for my 2 year old granddaughter and I to read. I like them due to the storylines but also it introduces 'bigger' words and has the definition for them under like "improve, Improve is fancy for getting better at something." Love that they do this.
In this one Nancy also learns the importance of listening...
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • Disney's Little Mermaid: Sealed With a Kiss
  • Going to the Sea Park
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • The Berenstain Bears at the Aquarium
  • Henry and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper's House
  • Amelia Bedelia Hits the Trail
  • Go Away, Dog
  • I Can Be a Pet Vet (Barbie) (Step into Reading)
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Fancy Nancy