Start by marking “Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God” as Want to Read:
Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God

Sister Freaks: Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  467 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Bestselling author and award-winning singer Rebecca St. James brings together a group of inspirational true stories about young women who gave their all for Jesus.
Published November 15th 2008 by FaithWords (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sister Freaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Freaks

Kayla
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
If you aren’t familiar with the Jesus Freaks books by DCTalk, you need to get acquainted. :D They are basically a modern version of Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, stories of men and women who gave everything for God. Well, Sister Freaks is devoted to stories solely about women. It’s really neat!

Of the 60 stories I read, I’m going to highlight 5% (that means 3) of them. Manche Masemola grew up in what is now S. Africa in the early 1910s-1920s. She heard the gospel somewhere around the age 16 and became
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, even more than Jesus Freaks!! The book profiles women who live for Christ. Unlike Jesus Freaks, Sister Freaks profiles women who have not been killed for their faith. I found the people easier to relate to, and very encouraged to read how people are ministering where they are.

The book is set to read as a devotional, but I just read it through when able.

I think this book would be especially great for high school or college women - people who are actively seeking to hear their cal
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
This book was amazing! I read a chapter every morning with a cup of coffee. This book doesn't disappoint!
NebraskaIcebergs
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For a long time, I've wanted to find a book about inspiring Christian women of our times. So I happily bought Sister Freaks at a concert of one of my favorite Christian singers, Rebecca St. James. She edited this devotional, which is divided into twelve weeks: with each day featuring a mini-biography of about four pages, and each week being followed by a series of journal questions. While the subtitle, "Stories of Women Who Gave Up Everything for God," is somewhat misleading, Sister Freaks aptly ...more
Jen
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very few books make me really wish for a half-star system, but this is firmly a 3.5 star book for me. (I rounded up because it was a higher rather than lower 3.5.)
Because I'm an old cad, I found myself a little frustrated with this book because it's such a pick-me-up in some ways. Not that the stories are all fluffy and cheerful--it's a bit horrifying what some of these women have been through for their faith, especially when you realize it's still happening in the "enlightened" modern age--but
Susie Hall
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, ladies, teenagers, upper primary girls
Recommended to Susie by: Pastors wife
Topic 9, Non-Fiction, for the ages of 8 and up.
St.James. Rebecca, (2005)Sister Freaks. Alive Communications, Faith Words, New York.

This book would be a good read for the 8-older range of young women.
This is an inspirational book for women all over the world. It shares stories of women who have laid down their lives to make a difference in the world. Amazing women such as Joan of Arc, Joy Churchill and other young people of the world, even the so called ordinary women of today like you and I.
This
Tessa
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, disliked
I have such mixed feelings about this book and I'm not completely sure why. There are stories of incredible women like Joan of Arc as well as women from our time who have powerful testimonies. I think maybe what bothers me about the book is the impression it gives (probably unintentionally) of, "If your life isn't radical like this you're not doing enough." And that's simply not true. It feels like the book glorifies the women and their choices to obey the Lord more than it glorifies the work th ...more
Kacey
stumbled upon this book on Amazon & so grateful I bought it :) i LOVE Rebecca St James & loved this book. It's set up to be read in weeks (week 1/week 2 etc) but I read it all at once.
I loved reading about people or in this case, women, who do things for/stand up for what they believe in. I think that's a beautiful trait for anyone to have.
I also recommend the Jesus Freaks books by DC Talk ( similar types of stories)
Inspirational stories of women sold out for Jesus. Here is one of my fave quotes from book:

"The world tells us that our performance, plus what others think about us, equals who we are. But that's not true. We are who God says we are. He establishes our identity, and out of that will flow our performance and our relationships, not the other way around."
Jaycie
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Very inspirational. I enjoyed the mix of stories about both modern day and historical saints. A good one to get the creative juices flowing re. how YOU are going to represent Jesus and keep His kingdom expanding :)
Adrielle
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very inspiring read which is meant to partly be devotional. It is about women who have and do live for Christ, their struggles and their successes. While I enjoyed this immensely, it is heavy and I'd imagine would be quite a chore if you planned to read it straight through.
Jesus Christ rawx my sox!!! I AINT NOTHIN SPECIAL!
This book is about several girls who gave up their lives for Christ and how they stayed strong and stood their ground when their own family mocked and persecuted them.
I would really recomend this book.
Val
This book was okay, but written to a much younger audience -- high schoolers maybe. It was...okay, but even when I was a teenager I was drinking from a much deeper well of real saints and martyrs from history.
Prayergirl777
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was about amazing Christian woman who did thee most outrageous things to spread God's word.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies, girl-books
Amazing book. Recomended for all teen girls
Asha Reyes
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Loved all the stories of women who gave everything for Christ, even if it meant losing their lives. I read this book as a teenager and love it just as much now as I did then.
Strive17
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has some GREAT stories.
Renee' Williams
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great
Godsprincess
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
It was an inspiring book based on women who have given it their all for the cause of Christ.
Mimi
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of inspirational stories of courage, obedience, faith and love of God.
Sam Schweigert
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are very inspiring, they make you appreciate how free you are to believe what you want to.
Rachel
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was really good. It was really encouraging.
Rebeca
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such beautiful stories!!!
Terri Harper
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of these stories were truly inspiring.
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
i'm reading this book right now. it is a book of stories of women who were either Christians or became Christians. and what they have done and went through.
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really really really love this book. wonderful stories in it.
Robin Waters
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read, great stories of brave courageous women!!
An inspiring book that made you cringe and wonder what you could do to help spread the Gospel at the same time.
Peyton
I enjoyed reading this book. Some of the stories were not as good as others..but overall I enjoyed them!!
Dani
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, inspirational stories about brave women of all ages!
  • Jesus Freaks: Stories of Revolutionaries Who Changed Their World: Fearing God, Not Man
  • Under God
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
  • Chain Reaction: A Call to Compassionate Revolution
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
  • A Young Woman After God's Own Heart: A Teen's Guide to Friends, Faith, Family, and the Future
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards
Rebecca St. James, an Australian-born Christian recording artist, is both a Grammy Award winner and a multiple Dove Award recipient. She is also the bestselling author of Wait for Me, SHE Teen, and What is He Thinking. In addition, St. James has appeared in the film Sarah's Choice and lent her voice to VeggieTales' An Easter Story. www.rsjames.com
More about Rebecca St. James...