Start by marking “Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)

Shadowland

(Cassandra Palmer #4.2)

A John Pritkin short, available for free on Karen Chance’s website and Smashwords.com.

"Shadowland" is a novella set between Curse the Dawn (Cassie Palmer #4) and Hunt the Moon (Cassie Palmer #5). It should be read after "A Family Affair".

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.
Published November 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowland

Start your review of Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
Exina
“Your viewpoint isn’t the only viewpoint; your logic isn’t the only logic.”

Shadowland is a sequel to A Family Affair.

Another assassination attempt takes place against Cassie – this time it seems to be successful. The grief-stricken, guilt-loaded, vengeful Pritkin goes to Shadowland – formerly a marketplace, now the capital and main meeting place of Hells – to find and kill Rosier whom he considers responsible for the outrage.
“All his training, all the meticulous plans and preparat
Aly is so frigging bored
Favorite quote:
John looked back at Cassie. “Where—” he cleared his throat. “Where did you get the weapons?”
“Downstairs,” she told him happily. “The senate’s using this as a base now, remember? It’s like Guns R Us down there.”
“But they must have guards—“
“Of course.”
“--and you’re without your powers. How did you get in?”
She looked at him like he might be slow. “I’m pythia. I told them to unlock the goddamned door.”

I swear, this series is the bestest UF I have ever read!
Feminista
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

I am glad that I finally got to read from Pritkin's point of view. XD
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I can never get enough of Karen Chance. This author has a way with words, story and characters all wrapped up in a neat little urban fantasy bow that simply knocks your socks off! In this 81 page short story, we get to see John Pritkin at it again. I love everything about this character, especially when we get a short with his POV.

Cassie is still in the cross hairs and she has a never ending line of enemies vying to kill her. Pritkin, her protector and friend does all he can to keep her safe. B
Anna
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Lannister
A free short story on Karen chance's website. (Back up on 27/28 Nov 2012) This one is for hard core fans of Cassie Palmer and Pritkin. Chance makes no pretence of making this story accessible to anyone who has not read the Cassie books. However, since it is on her website, casual readers are unlikely to stumble over it.
Probably the most confusing KC short story I have read, with multiple dual characters, time loops and it took me a while to work out the time frame (it seemed to be set after A F
Jen Davis
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wild ride --another Pritkin POV that takes place on the heels of "A Family Affair." It starts out with Cassie's death (Yikes!) and follows Pritkin as he seeks revenge against his father for her fiery demise.

It's cool how the story unravels --and how we get back to the timeline of the novels. Obviously, for instance, Cassie can't stay dead. And it's all action until the very end.

You definitely should read the other Prikin story first. You don't have to read these bonus stories to stick
Sophia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
Engaging and exciting adventure for Pritkin, Cassie, Casanova, and Rosier in this follow-up novella to Family Affair in the Cassie Palmer series.

One 'normal' day at the casino a bomb goes off setting a chain of events into motion sending Pritkin into the demon realm and the others scrambling to figure out how to change the course of history.

This was fast-paced on the action with a few moments of that fans will appreciate when Pritkin thinks the worst has happened. Loved it and it just gave me a
Cathy
Another fun freebie available on the author's website. It's quite a good story for fans, getting a bit into the relationship between John and his dad and John's background, showing a bit more of how the incubuses (incubi?) operate and live. I also enjoyed seeing a more proactive and tough side of Cassie, and how much John enjoyed seeing it as well. As usual with Chance, there was a good mix of drama, excitement, emotion, and humor.
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's the amazing disappearing reappearing novella! But I have to say it was worth the wait and a great follow up to A Family Affair. John is a great character and the scenes with Casanova and Cassie were priceless!

You can snap this up for free on the author's website here http://www.karenchance.com/shadowland...
Ellen
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I know it isn't completely finished and that she pulled it from her website because she wasn't completely happy with it but I can't wait to read the final version and learn more about Pritkin. I mean what I read so far was amazing.
Kate
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That is one sexy cover.
Kristin Marie
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Because Pritkin. Minus one for Casanova. He wasn’t as bad in this one, but I’m still not feeling him.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shadowland is one of the many novellas in the Cassandra Palmer World – and it is absolutely worth reading! It’s the fourth novella in the series with Pritkin being the main perspective. It’s set between A Family Affair (one of the Pritkin novellas) and Hunt the Moon. But seriously, make sure you don’t skip A Family Affair, because it adds much needed context.
Shadowland directly follows the events in A Family Affair. Which means that once again the trouble in this novella is sort of Pritkin’s f
Cassie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shadowland is a free short story mostly from Pritkin’s POV that follows right after A Family Affair. The demons want Cassie dead but Pritkin has made a deal with the devil. Well, the Lord of the Incubi Rosier. Pritkin lets his guard down for one minute and Cassie is attacked again.

We get to visit Hell once again and meet more interesting creatures. We also get to spend more time with Casanova and Rian.

This is a fun short that is not at all necessary to read for the overarching series plot. But
Anita
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Yeah! This story came back to the website! It was really entertaining. You get to see how dearly Pritkin actually loves Cassie, then you get to see him in the demon realm with his scary flying demon pet, and then you get to see Cassie pull an amazing piece of magic out of her ass. Well, not literally. All this after she dies. Awesome! And with a funny, happy ending, too. Yipee Kay Yay MTF, indeed. You also learn more about Pritkin's dad and Casanova.
Emily
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying these short stories/novellas the author has made available. Both the Kit Marlowe and the Pritkin/Cassie/Cassanova stories have been great fun in a very condensed format. I really enjoy reading from different perspectives that aren't Cassie. Vastly amusing to see other characters can find her just as annoying as the reader.
Amy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cassandra-palmer
This short story is best read after Curse the Dawn, it is a two part story continuing after A Family Affair, another short story. Both stories are told from Pritkin's point of view.

John finds himself back in the demon realm hunting down Rosier. Not wanting to reveal any spoilers, I will just say that is the action packed story-line I've come to expect.
Nicole
Dec 08, 2012 added it
Great story, that prooves that Pritkin is a Disney Princess in disguise.
Dajuan
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pritkin novella #2! This is a little darker than "A Family Affair" but it's a great glimpse in Pritkin's mind. We also get to see more of Rosier, Rian, and Casanova, the incubus bunch!
Torzilla
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-kindle
Crack is gone now :( Time to wait another two years before the next Cassie book...sigh.
Sassapphras
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: demons, short-story, humor
Read 6/26/2019

This was really cute, and I really loved how it ended, but I have two issues: 1) and the reason I don't usually read short in-between stories, is that it feels outside of the series because I know when I move forward to the main novels that this experience will not have happened. I hate that a lot. And 2) I really loved how Cassie was portrayed, but it is not her personality. She was fun and silly at the end of this one, but she is always scared and incapable of doing anything on h
Mike Amos
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic read. From the start I was totally confused and unsure how Karen was going to fix things, but as always she managed to resolve everything in a thrilling and twist turning adventure. I couldn’t stop laughing at the end, it was so Cassie to a tee. A marvellous read from start to finish.
Beth
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read with a good dose of the author’s trademark fast-paced and chaotic storytelling style. Lovely to be able to once again sneak behind the ever-present emerald glare and determinedly locked down emotions to get a glimpse straight into Pritkin’s heart...and what a heart it is!! #TeamPritkin
Jen
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fun short story in other characters POV. This story is shorter then some others, but I really enjoyed the characters in this one. Straight action through the whole thing. Love me some Pritkin.
Deidre Leclair
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome 'extra feature' book that extends the story line and adds those extra little tidbits that give you more insight into the characters and their back stories. It is the sequel to "A Family Affair"
Casey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE seeing things from Pritkin's pov. Karen Chance is one of my favorite authors. I have been collecting her books since I discovered her a few years ago. I have no idea how I missed reading this novella!
Another free short that can be found here.

This John Pritkin short was pretty entertaining as well, and the ending was just hilarious. It's always nice when Cassie shows the guys just what happens when you underestimate her.
Milady133
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasía-urbana
Fun to read, the beginning of the chapter where Cassie realizes what is happening to her made me laugh.
Melindeeloo
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pifm-2018-06, june
Short, but tons of action - and a good amount of pritkin.
Captmashpea
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was sooo fun. I loved getting Pritkin's perspective, getting a insiders look at his feelings. I especially loved how awesome Cassie was, especially during that fantastic ending.
(eBook one-shot)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Chance Fans: Shadowland 292 500 Jun 22, 2014 08:50AM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 11 Oct 04, 2010 11:31PM

• Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • Fantastic Hope
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • A Mere Formality
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Pay Me (Hidden Legacy, #4.2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Curran (Curran POV #1-2)
  • Fathers and Sons (Curran POV #2-2)
  • Four Shifters and a Stranger (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #0.25)
  • Trigger (Origin, #1)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Trick (Origin, #4)
  • Torment (Origin, #3)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Curran POV Collection
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Cassandra Palmer (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Shatter the Earth (Cassandra Palmer, #10)

News & Interviews