Start by marking “Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)

Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer #4.2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,399 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
A John Pritkin short, available for free on Karen Chance’s website and

"Shadowland" is a novella set between Curse the Dawn (Cassie Palmer #4) and Hunt the Moon (Cassie Palmer #5). It should be read after "A Family Affair".

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.
ebook, Free read, 54 pages
Published November 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowland

Aly is so frigging bored
Favorite quote:
John looked back at Cassie. “Where—” he cleared his throat. “Where did you get the weapons?”
“Downstairs,” she told him happily. “The senate’s using this as a base now, remember? It’s like Guns R Us down there.”
“But they must have guards—“
“Of course.”
“--and you’re without your powers. How did you get in?”
She looked at him like he might be slow. “I’m pythia. I told them to unlock the goddamned door.”

I swear, this series is the bestest UF I have ever read!
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing

I am glad that I finally got to read from Pritkin's point of view. XD
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I can never get enough of Karen Chance. This author has a way with words, story and characters all wrapped up in a neat little urban fantasy bow that simply knocks your socks off! In this 81 page short story, we get to see John Pritkin at it again. I love everything about this character, especially when we get a short with his POV.

Cassie is still in the cross hairs and she has a never ending line of enemies vying to kill her. Pritkin, her protector and friend does all he can to keep her safe. B
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Lannister
A free short story on Karen chance's website. (Back up on 27/28 Nov 2012) This one is for hard core fans of Cassie Palmer and Pritkin. Chance makes no pretence of making this story accessible to anyone who has not read the Cassie books. However, since it is on her website, casual readers are unlikely to stumble over it.
Probably the most confusing KC short story I have read, with multiple dual characters, time loops and it took me a while to work out the time frame (it seemed to be set after A F
Katie Michaels
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wild ride --another Pritkin POV that takes place on the heels of "A Family Affair." It starts out with Cassie's death (Yikes!) and follows Pritkin as he seeks revenge against his father for her fiery demise.

It's cool how the story unravels --and how we get back to the timeline of the novels. Obviously, for instance, Cassie can't stay dead. And it's all action until the very end.

You definitely should read the other Prikin story first. You don't have to read these bonus stories to stick
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
Engaging and exciting adventure for Pritkin, Cassie, Casanova, and Rosier in this follow-up novella to Family Affair in the Cassie Palmer series.

One 'normal' day at the casino a bomb goes off setting a chain of events into motion sending Pritkin into the demon realm and the others scrambling to figure out how to change the course of history.

This was fast-paced on the action with a few moments of that fans will appreciate when Pritkin thinks the worst has happened. Loved it and it just gave me a
Another fun freebie available on the author's website. It's quite a good story for fans, getting a bit into the relationship between John and his dad and John's background, showing a bit more of how the incubuses (incubi?) operate and live. I also enjoyed seeing a more proactive and tough side of Cassie, and how much John enjoyed seeing it as well. As usual with Chance, there was a good mix of drama, excitement, emotion, and humor.
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's the amazing disappearing reappearing novella! But I have to say it was worth the wait and a great follow up to A Family Affair. John is a great character and the scenes with Casanova and Cassie were priceless!

You can snap this up for free on the author's website here
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I know it isn't completely finished and that she pulled it from her website because she wasn't completely happy with it but I can't wait to read the final version and learn more about Pritkin. I mean what I read so far was amazing.
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That is one sexy cover.
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weak-antagonist
“Your viewpoint isn’t the only viewpoint; your logic isn’t the only logic.”

Shadowland is a sequel to A Family Affair.

Another assassination attempt takes place against Cassie – this time it seems to be successful. The grief-stricken, guilt-loaded, vengeful Pritkin goes to Shadowland – formerly a marketplace, now the capital and main meeting place of Hells – to find and kill Rosier whom he considers responsible for the outrage.
“All his training, all the meticulous plans and preparations, had
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Yeah! This story came back to the website! It was really entertaining. You get to see how dearly Pritkin actually loves Cassie, then you get to see him in the demon realm with his scary flying demon pet, and then you get to see Cassie pull an amazing piece of magic out of her ass. Well, not literally. All this after she dies. Awesome! And with a funny, happy ending, too. Yipee Kay Yay MTF, indeed. You also learn more about Pritkin's dad and Casanova.
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying these short stories/novellas the author has made available. Both the Kit Marlowe and the Pritkin/Cassie/Cassanova stories have been great fun in a very condensed format. I really enjoy reading from different perspectives that aren't Cassie. Vastly amusing to see other characters can find her just as annoying as the reader.
Dec 08, 2012 added it
Great story, that prooves that Pritkin is a Disney Princess in disguise.
Melannie :)
Feb 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Pritkin is the best!
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-kindle
Crack is gone now :( Time to wait another two years before the next Cassie book...sigh.
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Pilnu atsauksmi par Cassandra Palmer sēriju var izlasīt
Nicole Mole
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasía-urbana
Fun to read, the beginning of the chapter where Cassie realizes what is happening to her made me laugh.
Camille Myskovsky
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The only reason why this story doesn't rate five starts is because it is a short story and I only rate five those books I could never live without. But since this story had no Mircea in it, I was seriously torn. His absence alone made me want to change my policy and give the highest rating possible and then steal some stars from the sky and just deposit them here.

Cass torturing an army of demons over and over again because of the time loop and finding new ways to kill them instead of
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't help but bounced on my seat when I found out that Ms. Chance had posted Shadowland on her website. I can't tell you how long I've waited for this!!! I've been Pritkin-starved for way too long!!!

As usual, Cassie attracted the attention of a gazillion bad guys and they all seemed to want her dead for a variety of reasons. And as expected, Pritkin would jump in to save her. Only this time, things seemed to have gone awry and Pritkin believed that he had lost Cassie for real this time!! W
(i'm including this in my book list for the year to mark the fact that i read like five of these things, but they're so short i'm only including one to be?? fair??? i guess?????? idk. yeah.)

omfg I can't breathe there r literally tears streaming down my face I AM AT WORK GODDAMMIT and by the end I was laughing so much I almost threw up

wow this one was a doozy lol

pritkin!!!! PRITKIN!!!!!!! so absolutely destroyed when he thought cassie had died, incandescent with rage and so determined to aven
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great little story. I love Casanova- such a drama queen!

This following part just cracked me up!

"“Do something!” he told Rosier.

But the demon—damn his hide—was just standing there, lighting a cigarette. “And what would you have me do?”

“You’re a council member!”

“Yes, and I would normally call on the council’s guards to protect me.” His lips twisted. “Unfortunately, they’re already here.”

“Then…then use magic! Do some sort of a curse. You’re a demon!”

“I’m one demon. They are many demons. See how tha
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Karen Chance keeps suprising me! This short is written a little differently. Seems to be more agressive and more imaginative. It would be, perhaps, a little intense for the novels but worked perfectly in this! It's exciting and heart-stopping! And there is so much Pritkin! For me, that's simply ideal! Rosier is also a nice addition! John and Rosier have such a complicated relationship that it's always interesting to see even the smallest interation between them.

This short however makes me miss J
Book Synopsis

A John Pritkin short, available for free on Karen Chance’s website and

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.

My Thoughts

As usual Cassie is in need of being rescued, John Pritkin is his brooding self and the entire action packed chain of events goes by at lightning speed with bits of background h
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was very excited to find that this one is now available on Ms. Chance's website - yay! And I even managed to read it sitting up to my lap top despite back spasms - such a dedicated reader!!

I still like Cassie, and I enjoy getting the Pritkin POV. That being said, I didn't love this particular story. It's very long (for a "short") but we don't really learn anything, and apparently Cassie doesn't either. Yes, I know that in a short that comes between books it wouldn't really make sense to have a
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Check out all my reviews on My Blog

A Cassie Palmer novella. A bomb has gotten through all the security and blown Cassie to bits which sends John on a mission to kill his father whom he blames for killing Cassie....except Cassie is not really dead but instead stuck in a time loop thanks to her Pythia powers. She is unable to escape the loop but even when she dies, she comes back and repeats the pattern. The only way for her to get unstuck in time is to have all those who were in the room with her
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I LOVE Pritkin. If Pritkin was real, he'd be 1-5 on my "freebie list" and I'd be one happily squealing groupie/stalker.

This is a great story (if a liiiittle bit confusing for a moment in the beginning), Pritkin is perfectly Pritkin'y and Cassie ends up as kick-ass-Cassie'ish as usual. Rockin'!

A few minor typos here & there, but I can live with those. And I also happily (and very enthusiastically) volunteer to proof-read anytime Karen Chance needs one. Really. ANYTIME! (Especially if there ar
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really love this series. The books have been hinting around the fact that more than a friendship has been developing between Pritkin and Cassie despite their constant bickering and this story gives you more of a picture of John's side and feelings. It kinda ended abruptly so that's why I didn't give it the full 5 stars. I read the book that follows this story over a year ago when it came out and with the way that one ended, I can't wait to read the next book but will have to wait until 2013. O ...more
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short story continuation of ‘A Family Affair’. Mostly from John’s POV, but with some of Cassie and Casanova’s POV here and there.

After a massive brimstone attack on Cassie, John transports to the demon realm of Shadowland to get revenge on his father. Meanwhile, Cassie and Casanova are desperately trying to get out of a complicated and deadly time loop.

Then it becomes basically Pritkin, Casanova, Rian and Rosier’s adventures in Shadowland. My question is Cassie is supposed to be Mercea’s woma
Karen Chance Fans: Shadowland 293 497 Jun 22, 2014 08:50AM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 11 Oct 04, 2010 11:31PM
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Magic Strikes - Hot Tub (Curran POV #5)
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss, 0.5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • Scouting Jasmine (Jaz Parks, #0.5)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...

Cassandra Palmer (8 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion