Start by marking “Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move (Real Life, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move (Real Life, #3)

Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move

(Real Life #3)

In this YA contemporary novel from bestselling author Nancy Rue, perfectionism and steroid addiction collide in the life of one teen, whose carefully controlled world slowly falls apart.

Basketball is Cassidy Brewster’s life, and she is the biggest star on her high school team. But when a routine jump shot leaves her crumpled on the floor with a torn ACL, everything comes c
Published October 9th 2010 by Zondervan (first published September 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move

Lydia Howe
Nancy Rue's books are kinda weird. Like, every one of them makes me scratch my head. They generally have some good ideas and information, and the storytelling is good, but I don't always agree with all the conclusions and theology.
She does a good job of making the characters really real and developed and have easily seen arcs, so that's always a plus and probably one of the reasons I like her books. I don't generally connect with her characters or relate to them, but I still find them interesti
Celestial
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an incredible story! It is so emotional that it made me tear up a few times.
I have to admit that the starting was a little boring for me. In fact it took me quite some time to get past what I perceived to be the 'boring' part.
Once the story picked up pace it was so worth reading. Cassy's growth throughout the book was amazing to read!
One of the complaints I have with the book (besides not enjoying the first few chapters) was that it was never said that her 'love' interest was a Christi
Diana TheBookNerd
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book came at just the right time! The main character was so relatable and I could see myself going through the same situations she went through. Definitely worth the read!
Reader
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
I am going to be upfront here, I don't read a lot of Christian teen fiction, so I don't have a lot to compare this book to. Cassidy is a high school basketball star, who injures herself and faces some tough choices when it comes to her recovery and her future. A mysterious book helps her make the right choices and get back on the right path. The writing is not particularly strong, and the author did a lot more telling than showing in her descriptions. In the first several pages, the author descr ...more
emma
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every teen girl!
Shelves: christian
I love this book! It didn't start out as good as the first two REAL LIFE books but overall, I really really enjoyed it. I highly suggest all of Nancy Rue's books and also her teen blog. Mrs.Rue is awesome!
It's really exciting and awesome... The MC is a girl who suffers from a basketball injury and is tricked into taking steiroids and is expelled from playing basketball. She meets new 'scary' kids but realizes that they're not so scary and ends up making amazing friends and learns about God.
Nora
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this was christian fic because it wasn't labelled as such in the description >.> i guess that's my bad, i thought it would just be a teen chick-lit. sadness~~

I won this from first reads.
Gary Butler
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
10th book read in 2014.

Number 70 out of 354 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Ashlee
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
The full review is posted on my blog and can be found here:

*** Disclosuer - I won this book in a GoodReads.com Giveaway ****

".. understand your own journey... do the work.... it's not all about you..."

Summary: When sixteen year old high school basketball star Cassidy Brewster blows her ACL a few short weeks before the High School State Basketball Finals she'll do anything to get better. Given a "supplement" by her brother's finance, a medical student, she
Jill
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Middle School aged girls.
Shelves: first-reads
This book a good read for the teen set. I won this book in a goodreads contest and couldn't wait to read it and review it.

Here are some of the things I liked about the book:

The main character, Cassidey, was believable. I liked that she was facing such adversity, but I felt like some of her relationships and anger at her friends was a little forced. I suppose that her experiences were true to life though, in that sometimes we all react badly to certain situations. In this case, she reacted badl
Debbie
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, christian, ya
"Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move" is young adult general fiction with a romance. This is the third book in the Real Life series, but you can read the books in any order. The story was fast-paced, and the suspense grew as things got worse and worse in Cassidy's relationships at school and with her own family. Suspense also came from wondering if she'd get well enough to play again and, if so, if they'd override the rules to let her play again. I could hardly put the book down.

The world-bu
Sarah Ryburn
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
In accordance with FTC guidelines, I'll begin with the disclosure that I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads program.

Review: Well, this little book doesn't seem to be getting many stars on GR (an average rating of 2.8 stars, I think). I liked it. A simple story, with a definite element of wish-fulfillment in the sense that Cassidy, the heroine, messes up her life through a naïve, bad choice then reclaims it through a series of character-building, good choices. It's also rather
Antonia
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Megan
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Cassidy is a high school sports star, pushing herself (and being pushed by her father) to be the best. When a blown ACL puts her on the bench, she's not really sure what to do with herself. Her brother's med-student fiancee gives her some "supplements" to help with the healing process. The "supplements," of course, turn out to be steroids, and Cassidy is busted. Now, she needs to find out who she is besides sports star, and she must decide if she even wants to be an athlete anymore. Helping her ...more
Sofia Marie
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Typical Cassidy- "See , I think that's a weird question. I think the question should be 'Why doesn't EVERYBODY want to win? Why would you want to put yourself out there without wanting to be the best?"

Basketball. It’s her passion. It’s her love. It’s the only time she doesn't feel scared of anything. And it all goes down with one fall…
Cassidy Brewster, whose love and skill for basketball seem immeasurable, feels lost when a fall on the court leaves her knee swelling to three times its size. Will
Gregandemy
Won on Goodread's first reads giveaways!

I'd rate this somewhere between a 2 and 3. It was not bad and I liked it better then I thought I would,but it was just shy of making it to 3 stars for me. I thing just 'one Wrong Move' would have been a catchier title. I liked that it was a clean, motivating story for young adults. I would have no problem passing it on to some of the teenage girls in our church. It had a nice story, characters that were likable and experienced growth. The "magic" bible was
Kelly Knapp
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone, but more likely girls
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway
Slow starting, this book began warming and set a steady pace. Cassidy feels like a real teen and one can empathize with making a mistake and trusting the wrong person. While I could empathize with Cassidy's mistakes, I found the "RL" book a little hinkie. After all, this series is called, "Real Life" and you don't find the answers in a book...unless you are referring to the Bible. In that case, say so. Don't make it mysterious and call it "RL".

While I liked this book, the first two in the series
Tracy
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2010
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was excited to read it b/c I love young adult books. This story centers on an all American girl (Cassidy) who starts to struggle in ways she hasn't before. A mysterious book helps lead her in the right direction. For me, the book was too akin to the Bible and book, overall, was more Christian-based than I enjoy. Fans of Christian literature should definitely give it a go.
Lexi
Nov 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
I won a First Reads copy of this book, which is the only reason I'm trying to slog through it right now. I entered thinking this would be a sports novel, only to find out it spends very little time actually talking about sports and is instead a book aimed at Christian teenagers. I am definitely not the intended audience, but I suspect I wouldn't love this book even if I were. The writing and characterization are not great, and the plot (such as it is) has not grabbed me.
Mark Lichtenfeld
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love religious fiction and Nancy does a nice job negotiating between secular teen life and growing religious conviction. Cassidy's journey from high school basketball star to garden variety student with a big heart is a testament to what a dose of religious teaching can do for a high school teen suddenly thirsting for direction. The book is a nice read and the good thing about religious teen fiction is the lack of gratuitous smut that often permeates mass-market YA fiction.
Jennifer Gatherum
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads! This was a good Christian book. It tells the story of Cassidy Brewster - a high school basketball star who is injured and makes some poor choices during her recovery. One day she discovers the RL book, which is very similar to the Bible. The RL book helps her get her life in order and helps her realize what she values most. The book has a good message.
Brittany
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a good book overall with the struggle of Cassidy finding out who she really wanted to be. My one problem was with the way the book was having a conversation with her. it was strange and unnatural. It also distracted from the writing. If the book had just been helpful with stories and not weird "mind reading" powers I would have been more satisfied. But the message of the story was clear and it is a good read for young teens.
This book was won through Goodreads First Reads
Jen Scott
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

When I entered to win this book, I didn't realize it was a Christian Fiction book. I usually don't like Christian fiction only because I find it super cheesy. But I read this book anyway, and I was pleasantly surprised! At first, I felt like the passages from RL were cheesy, but then I grew to like them. And the story was so good! I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would!
Brenda Jensen
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move by Nancy Rue is the third in the real life series.
A teen book series, Cassidy Brewster a sixteen year old high school basketball star.
This book takes you through her journey and struggles after she injures herself a couple weeks before the high school finals.
Aaron Simmons
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While there's a religious driving-force in this novel, it isn't its entirety. This is not to say I did not love the religious focus in it, because I did, very much. But in addition to that, its a really sincere book, and this is why I fell in love with it. Very well written, and I absolutely adore the characters. Great, great read. Will re-read for years, no doubt. Very memorable.
Nicole
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
As the third book in the Real Life Series, Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move takes us through the life of Cassidy and the decisions she has to make about basketball and her future after an ACL injury. I was not a fan of this book, and was waiting for it to pick up pace. I might recommend it to reluctant readers, or those teens looking for cleaner, Christian fiction.
Michelle
Won this in a First Reads Giveaway and can't wait to read it!!!
Enjoyed the book although it wasn't what I expected. I read a lot of Christian fiction and this was about like most books geared toward young teen girls. Would like to read more by this author to compare.
Will definitely add this one to my school library for students to read.
Kristelle
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move was an enjoyable book that I would recommend to a young teen audience. It was cute and fun but not my cup of tea as an adult.

[Note: I have received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.]
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I won this as a giveaway here on good reads. The beginning 50 pages was uninteresting, but it did get better. I like how the main charter's perspective changes. I overall enjoyed this book, but it wasn't anything special. It is focused more for teens.
Erin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this RL book, we have a student-athlete whose life revolves around basketball and meeting her fathers' expectations in it. That is until she gets injured and then caught using and her life spends out of control. Or does it?

• The Spring of Candy Apples (Sweet Seasons, #4)
  • The Last Dance (Carter House Girls, #8)
  • Wreath (Wreath Willis #1)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Who Made You a Princess? (All About Us, #4)
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Perfectly Ridiculous (Universally Misunderstood, #3)
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Miracle Girls, #2)
  • Jem and the Holograms #3 (Jem and the Holograms, #3)
  • The Secret Life of Becky Miller (Becky Miller #1)
Nancy Rue is the author of over 100 books for adults and teens, including the Christy Award-winning The Reluctant Prophet, Unexpected Dismounts and Healing Waters (with Steve Arterburn), which was the 2009 Women of Faith Novel of the Year. She travels extensively—at times on the back of a Harley—speaking to and teaching groups of women of all ages. Nancy lives on a lake in Tennessee with her Harle ...more

Real Life (4 books)
  • Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book (Real Life, #1)
  • Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble (Real Life, #2)
  • Limos, Lattes & My Life on the Fringe (Real Life, #4)