Start by marking “Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

(Betsy-Tacy #3)

Betsy, Tacy, and Tib can't wait to be ten. After all, getting two numbers in your age is the beginning of growing up—exciting things are bound to happen. And they do! The girls fall in love with the King of Spain, perform in the School Entertainment, and for the first time, go all the way over the Big Hill to Little Syria by themselves. There Betsy, Tacy, and Tib make new ...more
Published April 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

Amy
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e
This was so sweet and we really enjoyed the part of the story including the Syrian immigrants. Ironically, very relevant topic today. HIGHLY recommend.
Beth Bonini
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book begins with Tacy, Tib and finally Betsy (on April 25) turning 10: the double-digit birthday that is a turning point in every childhood. Appropriately, the book's main adventure has to do with widening horizons. When the girls climb the 'big hill' and go into the forbidden territory of Little Syria, they are doing so for self-interested reasons. (The younger sisters are in competition with their older sisters to get signatures for a contest.) But the real adventure, the true learning ex ...more
Jess
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, this one is a weird mix of American patriotism, pro-immigration stances and your first celebrity crush. Didactic is really the word for it, especially when you get sentences like: 'Katie recited the Gettysburg Address. She despised reciting but was too patriotic to refuse.' But there's a lovely, idyllic feel to these books, which I'm beginning to appreciate, and Betsy, Tacy and Tib are rather identifiable, which I suppose is what Maud Hart Lovelace wants.

The title is also misleading, but I
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
9/2012 Oh, Bob Ray, how I love you. I always refer to my own father as "practically perfect" because he's not Bob Ray. I love this book almost as much as I love Bob Ray. Everyone's personality is here, foreshadowing so much (just like Tib!) though this time through I did wonder when Dave's mom got her hearing back.

12/2009 This story finds Betsy, Tacy and Tib at ten years old. Their world is getting wider, and they are learning new things. This is the first time that the Lebanese settlement of L
Hope
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another delightful book in the Betsy and Tacy series. I appreciate it that the girls are not sickeningly sweet, but that they learn and grow as they relate to others. In this installment they befriend a little girl who is a Syrian refugee and through her they learn some important lessons about kindness, forgiveness, and patriotism.
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill is the third book in the timeless Betsy-Tacy-Tib series. In this latest chapter in the trio's childhood, the girls begin to develop with age and maturity. First the girls turned ten which is a big deal for them, especially for Betsy. They finally have two numbers for their age. The second big moment for the girls is they develop their very first crush on the newly annointed King of Spain named Alphonso. And the third pivotal moment in their young lives is when ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all girls and women
Recommended to Lisa by: Ginny and CLM
I am so enjoying this series. This is the third book and possibly my favorite so far, and I liked the second book more than the first, but that's hard to say because they're all so good. I have the fourth one to read before I get to the (middle) two in the series which are the only two that I think I read as a girl; I'll remember when I read them if I did. I'm glad that this time I'm reading them in order from start to finish.

Maud Hart Lovelace is a talented storyteller and she has a vivid recol
Lawrence
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the Betsy and Tacy books for the joy of it, and this one does not disappoint. The series is plainly not about people frozen in time. I mean, the period stays the same, but, as in really good books, the people change. Here, our heroines turn ten years old --- an important age that they've been anticipating since the last book. They become more self-conscious in that they begin to think independently about how they should behave at their "advanced age". As realistically narrated, they are u ...more
Judy
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wonder how many kids read the Foreword by Judy Blume and the notes at the end of the book. Now that I know the story is semi-autobiographical, I understand why the books in this series seem so real.

Here's an example of a paragraph that put a smile on my face:
"The sooner we don't see them the better, I think," said Betsy gloomily. "Gee whiz!" she added. Betsy very seldom said "Gee whiz!" She was too religious. But it was all she could think of to express her feelings now.
("Them" being their old
Susann
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, the-tomes
Re-read for VSC discussion.
"Tacy loved to say 'indeed.'"

09-23-2011:
Here's a quote from the sentimental Mrs. Kelly that I had never noticed before:
"Mrs. Kelly did not seem to notice the grown-upness. She took Betsy's round red cheeks in her hands and said, 'It's five years today that you and Tacy have been friends.'"
I love Mrs. Kelly. Love that she saves Tacy's shorn curl in a candy box and that she remarks on the longevity of B&T's friendship.

Re-read for the VSC discussion.
Jan
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still enjoyable.
4 Stars, family read-aloud, #betsytacy2019, VT 2019 Reading Challenge: a book for children or teens
Kathryn
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, betsy-tacy
The third book is this cute series. It was fun to ready about the innocence of an era gone by.
Danielle
This year Betsy, Tacey, and Tib have two numbers in their age, and they go farther up the Big Hill than ever before.

Imagine my surprise when what what is over the hill is the neighborhood of Little Syria. And my further surprise when Little Syria and its Syrian immigrants end up being a major story line. How unexpected and wonderful! I love that the real event of the King of Spain assuming power on his 16th birthday in 1902 is included here, and that they all decide they are in love with him. I
Sara
Re-reading the series with Birdy.
Meira (readingbooksinisrael)
I don't think I can rate this properly because I moved straight on to the next book. I thought the Syrian neighborhood was well done but that it dragged on for a little too long.
Rebekah Giese Witherspoon
This third novel in the Betsy-Tacy series didn't have nearly as much wide-eyed wonder and imagination as the first two, but that's probably because Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are practically grown up now that they have two numbers in their age (10).

When the three girls go over the big hill and meet a little girl who has immigrated from Syria and doesn't speak any English, their warm acceptance of her and her family starts a beautiful chain reaction in the community. I love the way that this series en
BookSweetie
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simply terrific. If you have never ready BETSY AND TACY GO OVER THE BIG HILL (first published in 1942), prepare yourself for a charming glimpse into what it might be like to be a nine or ten year old girl. Book 3 of the highly recommended and soothingly warm-hearted Besty-Tacy juvenile classic series by Maud Hart Lovelace (April 25, 1892 - March 11, 1980) is a book closely based on the author's own life as a 9-10 year old growing up in small town Minnesota in 1902. The book opens with sentiment ...more
Christine Marie
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little House on the Prairie, History Lovers
Recommended to Christine by: Heather Vogel Frederick
Okay, so I at least remember that this book was really good. I read it a over a week ago and I've been really busy so I kind have a lot to remember for reviewing.

This book was just as childish (in a good way) as the first, but with more complex and mature struggles, ideas, and resolutions than the first books. I thought that Betsy, Tacy, and Tib really grew up in this story, they now had a desire for power, love, importance, and beauty. Their quarrel over whether Julia or Tib could be queen wa
Matthew Hunter
Book 3 of the Betsy and Tacy series, and Maud Hart Lovelace continues to impress. Such a sweet story! It's impossible to reach the book's end without a smile on your face. Sure, it's a bit too perfect at the close as squabbles are resolved neatly and Syrian refugees are welcomed with open arms. It's cheesy, but I loved it. And the gleeful ending makes for a fun toddler read along experience.

It's interesting to compare Maud Hart Lovelace's handling of patriotism to that of Laura Ingalls Wilder. W
Crizzle
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(2016): The third Betsy/Tacy/Tib book had a good portion of the plot about the Syrian refugees who lived in Minnesota... keep in mind it was published in 1942 and is set in 1902:
"I'm glad Tib stood up for the little Syrian girl. Foreign people should not be treated like that. America is made up of foreign people."
And after the Syrians showed their pride in living in America: "Julia said soberly, 'They think a lot of being Americans, don't they?' 'They certainly do,' Katie answered. 'Boys like
Megan
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidbooks
I didn't read this Betsy-Tacy book till I moved to California and had a renewed interest in the life of Maud Hart Lovelace after finding the friendship bench in Claremont.
I feel it may be her best story. Rather then being a series of vignettes, as most of her books are, it tells a lovely concise story about the Syrian refugee camp that the girls visit. And what they find there is what one finds at any Minnesota refugee camp: pure good hearted Christians who take Betsy, Tacy and Tib into their c
laaaaames
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have a cold dark heart, and even I cannot resist the joy and charm of rereading these books as an adult.

As a child I only read the first three.

As of Saturday I now own all of them.

If you suspect my stony disposition is showing signs of happiness over this fact as well as the anticipation of FIRST READS of books starring these beloved characters, you are quite right.

I definitely recommend purchasing (or library-ing) the new editions to anyone who enjoyed these as a kid. The forewards are wonder
Ginny Messina
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Still 5 stars. It’s especially fun, as an adult, to see BT&T’s world growing bigger as they meet people from a different culture, confront bigotry, and travel to the edges—and beyond—of the Hill Street neighborhood. I especially loved meeting all the neighbors. Now, I’m looking forward to Sallie’s questions!
Erin
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Re-read October 2016.
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it

Read many times. Last read 4/11/09. Re-read aloud to eldest 8/16/15
Jen
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Again, an excellent installment of this series. This one deserves particular recognition for a very well done approach to diversity and cultural understanding.
Stacey
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the cutest one so far!
Gayle Gordon
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is my favorite Betsy-Tacy book so far, though I'm no where near the end of the series. This one is strangely relevant today, with it's emphasis on immigrants and what it means to be an American, whether an "old" or "new" American.
Betsy, Tacy, Tib, Julia, and Katie come across a group of boys, led by a particularly mean boy named Sam, bullying an immigrant girl. While breaking up the mob of bullies, Tib's new dress gets torn. All of the girls go home with Tib to explain to her mother about t
Larry Piper
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, the books I've been trying to read were so awful, I took up the third in the Betsy-Tacy series. Now, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are 10. Being 10 is special, because one now has two digits for one's age, which means grown up. Only people like my late mother ever get to have three digits.

Anyway, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib fall in love with the young king of Spain and decide one of them should be queen. They choose Tib. But, their older sisters, Julia and Katie want to have a queen for themselves, the Q
Lydia
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betsy, Tacy and Tib are turning ten! With this change, they do feel they must now be "more grown up", and start to think of their futures. However, they still have their knack for domestic calamity and in this book that mostly revolves around royalty.

These books remind me so much of books I loved as a kid; Elsie Dinsmore, Anne of Green Gables, The Bobbsey Twins, The Happy Holisters, the old style Nancy Drew, and the classic version Boxcar Children, which makes me regret I didn't find this trio

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • In the High Valley