Start by marking “The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew, #59)” as Want to Read:
The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew, #59)

The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew #59)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,089 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Nancy Drew has entered a contest to solve an old mystery-the disappearance of a Flemish nobleman, a pair of lace cuffs, and a priceless treasure. In a thrilling story shadowed by a romance of the past, Nancy solves a mystery over a hundred years in the making.
Published April 21st 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret in the Old Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret in the Old Lace

Susan
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, nancy-drew, 2015
Nancy Drew books are always good reading when something light and uncomplicated is needed. This one story is no exception.

The foreign setting was new to me and a nice change of scenery. The story also contains the typical bad guy, mysterious messages, old attics, and missing treasure.

Recommend.
Eileen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read a book from childhood for a challenge and now I remember why I read all of the nancy drew books.
Darinda
Another good Nancy Drew mystery.

Nancy Drew enters a contest to solve an old mystery. The old mystery takes place in Belgium, and, as luck would have it, Nancy's friend Bess has a new mystery for Nancy to solve that involves the girls (Nancy, Bess, and George) traveling to Belgium.
Linda
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2017
Set in Belgium. Nancy speaks French. Nancy, Bess, and George solve 100-year old mystery and restore lost inheritance to rightful owner. Nice local details. Fairly typical.
Jessica Guard
This was my first time reading one of the ever-so-famous Nancy Drew books, and I had high expectations. I love solving mysteries, and I think this was a great place to start for my EDCI 304 course regarding literacy in upper elementary students. My initial responses while reading this book included a mixture of disappointment followed by curiosity. I found it disappointing in the sense that so many things kept going wrong for Nancy Drew. Recognized as an amateur detective, Nancy Drew enters a m ...more
Eustacia Tan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I miss reading Nancy Drew. I didn't realise how much until I read The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived, but I missed this series. And even after a long absence, I find Nancy Drew as gripping as ever.

In this mystery, Nancy gets accused of plagarism and travels to Belgium to solve a hundreds of years old mystery. Or maybe just a hundred. But either way, I was having trouble putting down this book. And of course, in Nancy Drew fashion, she solves the mystery - within a time limit and und
Malinda Ford
Summary-
In the beginning of the book Nancy sends her manuscript into the company. While she is waiting for a reply her friend’s mom gets a letter from an old roommate saying that there is some sort of mystery at her place and needs Nancy to come and solve it. When someone tries to steal her manuscript she is suspicious of the painter. When she goes to some place in England she encounters a bigger mystery than she expected. While she’s in England she solves both mysteries. Both the Mystery of th
Maryann Fox
I hadn't read a Nancy Drew book since I was a child- when I couldn't wait to read the newest book.
This book was shown on my daughter's goodreads book review so I thought I'd read it.It is a much newer story than the ones I read and rather than a sketch of the characters there is an actual picture/drawing.

Nancy i still a teenager and living at home solving mysteries. This mystery comes as result of a story in a magazine contest.
The contest asks its readers to solve a mystery about a young man wh
Alex Grant
The book was interesting.It had romance,intrigue and a pair of lace cuffs.In this book nancy and her friends have to find a message in the lace cuffs belonging to Francois Lefevre.The cuffs were given to him by his soon to be wife,Antoinette Tissot,an actress.They fell in love.But Antoinette's family didn't like Francois.In order to keep Antoinette from being dishoned,Francois left Brussels and went to Belgium.He changed his name to Friedrich Vonderlicht.But Antoinette followed him..She changed ...more
Sydney
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew, teenage detective, wants to win a mystery writing contest, but her manuscript is stolen! Also, she is invited to a mansion in Belgium to solve a mystery. In Belgium, some criminals try to get in her way of solving the mystery. They may have something to do with her manuscript... But you'll have to read it to find out!
I recommend this book to people of all ages, specifically middle schoolers, as there are some tricky words in the book! Hope you enjoy the book!
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is my absolute favorite of all the Nancy Drew mysteries, the one I read a dozen times as a kid, the one I was sure I owned a copy of but can't seem to find among my other children's books. Maybe I actually read it until it fell apart and my mom got rid of it...

I still remember lying on my stomach transfixed as I read about Nancy's adventure in Belgium (so Old World exotic) with Francois (I thought it was pronounced Frank-oyse). Brilliant.
Malin
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nancy and George teases Bess about her love of food and her weight in just about every book which I find annoying at times. But in this book I thought George was very cruel. She was actually bullying her cousin! She was being more cruel than usual and I wonder if I can look at her the same way again.
Amanda
This book was ok, but not one of my favorites.

This is the only Nancy Drew book I have ever read. It was okay, I mean it was worth the read (I can not really remember what happened in the whole thing) I think younger kids would love this book. So if you a fan of Nancy Drew I recommend this book to you.
Vandita
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this mystery. I think that if you think like her, you can come to the same conclusion. Though this is a series, read any one book, and start from there. You will realize the style of this wonderful author, and how it shapes all her other stories.
Joy Gerbode
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was better than the other more recent ones I've read ... it was fairly well written and kept my interest, complete with secret passages and old letters, disappearances, and even the unbelievable coincidences that always occur. But a pretty good story, and great fun!
Yna Fempia Paez
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just hate how stupid Madame Chambray was for publishing on the local newspaper about the bejewelled cross and Nancy Drew coming to Brugge. I mean, for her age (being "Madame" and friends with Mrs. Marvin, I assume she's probably fortyish), she could really afford to be so naive and all that.
Hubert Su9
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers and Hardy Boys Fans
Recommended to Hubert by: I borrowed it form my school library
This book is about Investigator called Nancy Drew(I assume that you areadly knew her name) who investigates a missing lace and people who wanted to steal a rare and valuable diamond cross,Will Nancy able to solve this mystery after every one wants to stop her(except her friends of course)!?
Amber
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est une tres bonne histoire avec l'energie, mystere, et action.
Molly's Sister
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Nancy Drew books
Adelle
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
favorite of all Nancy Drew Mysteries. :)
Mskychick
Placeholder for reread of Warlord by Elizabeth Vaughan
Lisa
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the Nancy Drew AND Hardy Boys books. You just can't go wrong with them. They're classics.
Heidi
I read many of the Nancy Drew books as a little girl. I remember this one especially for whatever reason. I'm not sure of how many others I've read. A great series for young girls.
Elizabeth Day
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
I kind of got bored with it when I was reading it only a few times, but now that I think about it the story was REALLY interesting. You should read it!
Gale
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in 2005.
John Yelverton
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well done and exciting addition to the Nancy Drew book series. This time, Nancy travels to Europe to solve a mystery involving people on two continents!
Kyra
It is a really good book. I even learned how to say two things in French. "Je vous aime" which means I love you and" Epousez moi, s'il vous plait" which means please marry me.
Lauren
This book scared me within 30 minutes of reading it. I really liked it though.
Victoria
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books! It's fabulous!
Grace
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
kinda dumb
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden, #21)
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
  • Mystery of the Samurai Sword (Hardy Boys, #60)
  • The Secret at the Seashore
  • Ghosts Beneath Our Feet
  • Nancy Drew's Guide To Life
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
“Lefèvre! I’ll bet they’re one and the” 0 likes