Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice

Read Book* *Different edition

Pride and Prejudice

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,331,089 Ratings  ·  51,756 Reviews
Along with the plays of William Shakespeare and the works of Charles Dickens, Jane Austen’s novels are among the most beloved books of Western literature. Pride and Prejudice (1813) was in Austen’s lifetime her most popular novel, and it was the author’s personal favorite. Adapted many times to the screen and stage, and the inspiration for numerous imitations, it remains t ...more
Hardcover, Annotated Edition, 442 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press (first published January 28th 1813)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.

Thomas Do you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most…moreDo you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most eReaders/eReader apps come with an inbuilt dictionary. I think that being able to look up words and phrases immediately helped me to enjoy Pride and Prejudice and understand it well, unlike most of my classmates, who ended up hating it because they were frustrated with the writing. I'm 14 years old and I read it this year so age shouldn't be a problem.

As weird as this method sounds, it really worked and for me, has made reading classics fun rather than a chore. Pride and Prejudice is (legally) free to download as an eBook, so why not give it a try?

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you enjoy Pride and Prejudice; it's such a great book :)(less)
Tanmay Tikekar Though not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than…moreThough not exactly a 'comedy of manner' per se, Catch-22 is arguably the definitive work of satire. It's more biting than Austen and more serious than Wilde, though.(less)

6.0 stars. Confession...this book gave me an earth-shattering Janeaustegasm and I am feeling a bit spent and vulnerable at the moment, so please bear with me. You see, I decided I wanted to get more literated by reading the "classicals" in between my steady flow of science fiction, mystery and horror. The question was where to begin.

After sherlocking through my Easton Press collection, I started by pulling out my Dickens and reading A Tale of Two Cities which I thought was jaw-dropping AMAZO and
Nov 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
NOTE: The review you are about to read was written in 2009. 2009! That's almost 10 years ago! I was 17 and thought I was the smartest person ever! In all honesty I barely remember this book. So, negative comments regarding my intelligence are no longer necessary. They will be ignored. As they have been for probably 6 years now. CARRY ON!

P.S. Can we all just LOL at my use of the words "mind-numbing balls"?? HA.

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why th
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where my massive crush on Jane Austen began: alone, on a hot day in Montana, cursing her name.

I had to read it for AP English and I could not see the point. Girls need to marry. Girls can't get married. Girls are sad. Girls get married. Girls are happy.

I went to school to half heartedly discuss it and waffled and wavered in an effort to please my teacher. Finally she said: "was it good or not, Ben?"

"No it wasn't."

"Thank read this twenty pages of literary criticism for homework."

May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I finally did it!!!! And I loved it!!!!
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was forced to read this by my future wife.
I was not, however, forced to give it 5 stars.
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is unafraid to be seen reading this on the subway
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen started off annoying me and ended up enchanting me. Up until about page one hundred I found this book vexing, frivolous and down right tedious. I now count myself as a convert to the Austen cult.

I must confess I have been known to express an antipathy for anything written or set before 1900. I just cannot get down with corsets, outdoor plumbing and buggy rides. Whenever someone dips a quill into an inkwell my eyes glaze over. This is a shortcoming I readily
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mainly women
Critics who consider Austen's works trivial because of their rigid, upper-class setting, wealthy characters, domestic, mannered plots and happy endings are almost totally disconnected from reality, as far as I can tell. What can they possibly expect an upper-middle class English woman to write about in 1813 but what she knows or can imagine? Sci-fi? A history of the American Revolution? A real-life exposé of underage exploitation in the garment district of London? Come on. What other setting can ...more
Richard Derus
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Well-loathed books I've re-read

Rating: 4 very annoyed, crow-feathered stars out of five

The Book Report: No. Seriously. If your first language isn't English, or if you're like nine years old, you might not know the story. Note use of conditional.

My Review: All right. All right, dammit! I re-read the bloody thing. I gave it two stars before. I was wrong-headed and obtuse and testosterone poisoned. I refuse to give it five stars, though. Look, I've admitted I was wrong about how beautiful the writ
Bookdragon Sean
Society, with all its restrictive constructs, is one nasty piece of work.

It comes with so many silly rules, so many silly expectations. Those of social station and wealth must be seen to marry someone of the same “worth” regardless of the feelings involved; they must be seen to marry someone on their level of class structure. But what of love? What of passion? Should it be quenched because of these all-encompassing silly constructs?

Austen doesn’t think so.

Enter Darcy, a man who is royally pis
“We are all fools in love.”

Why have I not read this sooner?

I must admit, I didn't initially understand all the fuss surrounding this novel. I did not understand why so many millions of readers love it. It seemed to me they were all a bunch of romantic fools. Now that I am 'one of them', I can report back that the Pride and Prejudice fandom is actually full of normal people who care passionately about the characters.

I instantly fell in love with the story and its amazing characters. Marvellous
Mr. Darcy...

First, we need to clear something up. Colin Firth is the only Mr. Darcy.
That other Mr. Darcy was horrible! No, no, no, no, nooooo!
Make it stop. Make. It. Stop. Tell the bad man to go away, Mommy!

So, quite obviously, the BBC miniseries (in all its 327 minute glory) is the only version that is acceptable. The other movie was such a travesty to this book, that I wept big, fat, angry the spoiled brat that I am.
Or maybe I'm exaggerating slightly.
What were they think
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like their pride and prejudice without zombies
Recommended to karen by: the whole world
it is official: now everyone on the planet has read this book. i was the last holdout, and being the last person (excluding those who are just being born...... now) i am sorry i didn't like it more. i knew going into it that i was not a jane austen girl; i had read two others and thought them bloodless and mercantile. but everyone said to me, "well, you haven't read pride and prejudice is why you don't like her." which i thought might be valid. but it's not. because i still don't care. this is n ...more
Sherwood Smith
Some years back in one of my APAs, someone castigated Jane Austen's books like this: "All those daft twits rabbiting on about clothes and boyfriends and manners."

Since then, I’ve encountered other variations on the theme that a modern woman ought not to be reading such trash because it sets feminism back two centuries.

Well, much as I laughed over the first caveat, that isn't Austen. It sounds more like the silver fork romances inspired by Georgette Heyer. Austen's characters don't talk about clo
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I finally finished this classic novel, by Jane Austen, set in the 18th century, and I have to say it was worth all the time I took to read it. I absolutely loved the main characters, the humor, and most of all the romance. I watched the movie and loved it also, but the book is much more detailed and descriptive.
Definitely a favorite! I highly recommend it to everyone. You won't regret reading this one. 🐦
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I am so genuinely surprised at the positive experience I had reading this book! I had so much fun reading it and can now understand why people love it so much :3 Let's be real this deserves 5 stars <3

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 9. A book mentioned in another book
Otis Chandler
Oct 10, 2006 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to widen their vocabulary and of course hopeless romantics
Recommended to Jasmin by: Filipino Group
"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that it had begun."

This was Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy's reply when Ms. Elizabeth Bennet asked him when he fell in love with her.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen had put my left out dictionary into good use. I have to admit, I was very slow in the first pages, however, nearing the end, I was like a driver going at 100mph, eager to reach the finish lin
Bill  Kerwin
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A quintessential novel of manners. Fine moral intelligence and subtle psychological insight expressed in a straightforward, epigrammatic style. I read it for the first time forty years ago, and I am still half in love with Eliza Bennet.
Peter Meredith
18 chapters in... I want that to sink in for a moment... ok. 18 chapters in and NOTHING has happened. I am enjoying her writing style very much, but I also enjoy the back of an occasional cereal box so that may not mean much. We will see.
I am sitting here eating a tootsie roll, a Halloween left over, and I can't help notice the similarities between it and the novel Pride and Prejudice. First off, like P and P, the tootsie roll wasn't one of those dinky ones that you can almost swallow in a singl
Just a few words to express how I loved Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. So much has already been said, that I feel almost redundant.

'Pride and Prejudice' for me is above all about women’s choices in marriage, or the possibility of love versus choosing for money or social position. During Austen's time, marriage was the only option a woman had, except if she was rich enough to disregard the expectations of society; except if she was willing to live as a poor relation, which usually meant bein
Ahmad Sharabiani
938. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice is a romantic novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1813. The story charts the emotional development of the protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet, who learns the error of making hasty judgments and comes to appreciate the difference between the superficial and the essential.
عنوان: غرور و تعصب - جین اوستین (نشر نی) ادبیات انگلسان؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1974 میلادی
عنوان: غرور و تعصب؛ اثر: جین اوستین (آستین)؛ مترجم: شمس الملوک وزیری؛ مشخصات نشر
Cait • A Page with a View
I know we're all here for this:

But I just love EVERY single character so much. The entire Bennet family is hilariously perfect -- I even have this weird fondness for Mr. Collins. Pride & Prejudice retellings will forever be my favorite because there's just so much you can do with these characters.

Has anyone written a decent book from Bingley's perspective? Pretty sure he's actually my favorite Austen guy...
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
If somebody had told me that I'd love a romance before I read this book, I would have laughed derisively.

In my late teens, romance was just not my cup of tea: it was meant for (yechch!) - girls. I was happily reading about those brave and hardy men who blew up German castles (during World War II) and evil Communist strongholds (after the war). The only women in those books were beautiful spies or dangerous adventuresses.

A few years later, my aunt pointed me to this book, after I had rather enjoy
Paul Bryant
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Revived review to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the death of Jane Austen. Go Jane - like a cute little tortoise you have outlasted all of those bustling hares.

It is a truth which I would like to see universally acknowledged, that no one voluntarily reads any 19th century novels unless they are by Jane Austen. I fear that modern readers think all these Radcliffes, Disraelis, Eliots, Gissings and so forth tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt them, or even, that they are most disagr
I'm a great believer in the idea that if anyone didn't like this book it's because they didn't read it properly and/or are possessed. In all seriousness, the wit is timeless and Austen should always be remembered as a literary genius, as I hope she will.
Jason Koivu
Will I read Pride and Prejudice again? Yes, a thousand times, yes!

Near perfection! P & P is one of those rare gems that weds character, plot and language all in one harmonious marriage.

Austen's plotting is so very precise here. It's an absolute pleasure to behold. The timing is impeccable and there is very little, if any, fat in the prose to slow it down. Finding new clues to future plot twists and turns with each reread has reached the level of a sport for me now!

They say, write what you
Eh, just okay. Basically a character study of 19th century England, society, courtship, etc. Nothing all that mind blowing or enthralling happens. In fact, not much really happens at all.

I know some out there love this one, but it wasn't really for me. To tell you the truth, I read this because I have Pride & Prejudice & Zombies sitting on my shelf ready to go, but I figured it would be best if I familiarized myself with the source material first.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
While I'm working on my final review of Pride and Prejudice below (review is under construction; please wear hard hats when reading), let’s continue the discussion of P&P movies with the ladies.

Part II: Elizabeth Bennet actresses.

First, Greer Garson from the 1940 movie:
… no, for two big reasons:
1. As one website points out, “Garson's [Elizabeth Bennet] was smirking, empty-headed and flirtatious where Ehle's was smirking, strong and intelligent." Hah!
2. Hoop skirts. Hoop. Skirts. A thousan
Mr. Darcy or Mr. Bingley? 42 327 Mar 12, 2018 03:10PM
Should I read this next? 1 8 Mar 09, 2018 10:49AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Restarting March 28th 2018 22 38 Mar 06, 2018 02:15AM
I'm looking for English novel which I can't remember the title nor author 5 49 Mar 01, 2018 01:20PM
Jane Austen: Should Elizabeth have accepted Darcy's first proposal? 36 139 Feb 27, 2018 09:38AM
The Language 4 96 Feb 20, 2018 11:44AM
  • Faro's Daughter
  • A Little Princess
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • The Small House at Allington (Chronicles of Barsetshire #5)
  • Good Wives
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Cecilia
  • Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
  • A Woman of No Importance
  • North and South
  • Mrs. Dalloway
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 16488 likes
“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” 16287 likes