Start by marking “Entre ciel et terre (Vango, #1)” as Want to Read:
Entre ciel et terre (Vango, #1)

Entre ciel et terre

(Vango #1)

Paris, 1934. Devant Notre-Dame une poursuite s'engage au milieu de la foule. Le jeune Vango doit fuir. Fuir la police qui l'accuse, fuir les forces mystérieuses qui le traquent. Vango ne sait pas qui il est. Son passé cache de lourds secrets. Des îles siciliennes aux brouillards de l'Ecosse, tandis qu'enfle le bruit de la guerre, Vango cherche sa vérité.
Un héros inoubliabl
Published March 18th 2010 by Gallimard Jeunesse

To ask other readers questions about Entre ciel et terre, please sign up.
Seth If you search for "Vango" you'll find it just about anywhere, but the subtitle is "Between Sky and Earth"
Amelia While this is true, I'm almost glad we don't know deep specifics about Vango's personality. One word we can all, I'm sure, safely attribute to Vango i…moreWhile this is true, I'm almost glad we don't know deep specifics about Vango's personality. One word we can all, I'm sure, safely attribute to Vango is "mystery"- and by not delving into his emotional or characteristic complexities, we maintain this mystery, even as his backstory unravels.
I think the fact that Vango has so few friends- and that these friends themselves, like Cat, for instance, also have few friends- signifies that he builds strong relationships from small bonds, and that, even though he doesn't always make a big show of it in the book, Vango would protect those friends. Vango's subtle friendships present the notion that people don't necessarily choose their friends; rather, friends find each other.

So, this has sort of become long winded, and I don't know if I've really answered your questions. But, to sum, I don't believe it essential that we know too much about Vango's personal feelings. We learn about him through his travels, his relationships with others, and who he keeps company with. (For instance, after spending a year with monks and then even longer with priests in France, it makes sense that Vango would maintain a silence about his personal emotions throughout the book. And that silence speaks volumes.)(less)

Start your review of Entre ciel et terre (Vango, #1)
Jeanie Phillips
Dear Vango,

I'm sorry but I'm just not that into you. I stuck with you through the end of the book, but it is time for us to go our separate ways. Don't get me wrong, we had our good times. I mean, who wouldn't want to visit a Scottish Castle, fly in a German Zeppelin, and hang out on a secret Italian island with monks! You are definitely an exciting guy! But I found you largely emotionally unavailable. If we are going to have a long term reader relationship I have to at least feel like I know wh
Mrs G
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book, chapter by chapter. Brilliant, complex plot that twists and turns all around and back again. Exciting, funny with some great characters. Phew! I've ordered book 2!
Skip
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pirates, Russian aristocracy, zepellins, mysterious monks, Nazis, and family secrets. A real adventure, all set in Europe between the world wars. Vango is washed ashore on a small island off the coast of Sicily with Mademoiselle, and grows up in a safe environment as a wild child of the outdoors, eventually discovering a secretive group of monks on a nearby island. With little companionship, except from the mysterious Mademoiselle, Vango decides he wants to join the monks, but the leader forces ...more
Alex  Baugh
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
Born in 1915 and raised on by a nanny simply known as Mademoiselle, Vango has no idea who he is or where he came from. He and Mademoiselle were rescued from the sea by the strange Mazzetta when Vango was only 3 and they remained on Salina, one of the Aeolian island off the coast of Sicily. At 10 Vango discovers a hidden monastery on another island called Arkudah and befriends its founder, Father Zefiro.

The story begins in April 1934 just as Vango, now 19, is ready to take his vows, following Fat
Sam
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royal-lit
Vango is
surreal
engaging
poignant
delightful
a beautifully written piece of literature with fascinating characters and captivating scenarios set in one of the most critical periods of world history.
It is fractured yet fluid, sweet yet terrible. It is both modern and timeless, confusing and perfectly sensible.
It will lead you on a chase through time and place, confuse you, make you pause and think hard, and then show you in the simplest of ways what you were missing.

I read this under the impression t
Fantastico! Wow, what a ride this was! The two books in this series really seem to be just one book splint in half, so I shall review them as a single unit. Random thoughts:

Vango is completely unforgettable. Even though I don't know what he looks like, the author paints such a crystal clear portrait of his soul that I feel I know him well. This troubled young man has no idea where he came from and I was completely invested in finding out his heritage along with him. And nearly every character in
Mathew
Moments from being accepted into priesthood, Vango finds himself shot at and pursued - his only hope is to hide in Notre Dame and find a means of escape as quickly as possible from the mysterious assassin and all of the French police. Having been washed shore when only a toddler, Vango now finds that his past is hunting him down at a time when war in Europe is brewing at a deeply alarming rate and the stories behind those few Vango trusted reveal a world beyond his comprehension. Not only must V ...more
ALPHAreader
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Outside Notre Dame, a group of men who were about to become ordained priests are lying, facedown on the cobbled stones. A group of policemen, led by one superintendent Boulard are making their way through the crowd, searching for one 19-year-old man;

Just then, one of the seminarians stood up. He wasn’t very tall. His robe was weighed down with the rain. His face was streaming. He turned full-circle in the midst of so many bodies, none of which moved. On every side, plain-clothes policemen emerg
Ben Trevail
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52books2017
Formidable! Magnifique! Etc etc. I devoured the majority of this book, over 300 pages, in 24 hours while off work with a fever so this may not be the lucid review. Simply: it's almost impossible to put down. Each chapter ends with a hook or reveal so cleverly planned. The whole plot structure is a complex narrative with Vango at the centre surrounded by a complex web of characters. Ethel is superb, a strong yet young female presence, reminding me of Lily from Cogheart. In fact the fast-paced nar ...more
Jody Phillips
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a delightful book. It is beautifully written; containing such passages as:

Small miracles can accompany great misfortune. He had always thought that. You just need the confidence to believe it.

Let her make the most of it while she can! Which is what you might say about a hen that's still prancing around when it's got a date with the saucepan.

"Should I untie the horse from the piano on the second floor?" Peter the gardener inquired of the housekeeper without batting an eye. Realizing somet
Huy
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful and interesting book. I can't put it down, it takes me from Paris to Berlin, Scotland and more. And this book is what I need these days, I'm starving of adventures.
Sacramento Public Library
In the last days before the start of World War II, a young man whose past is a mystery finds himself pursued by unknown forces bent on his destruction. De Fombelle's thriller has a rich cast of adult and teen characters who hop from country to country via train, fast car, and even dirigible, and whose connections to each other are slowly revealed through flashbacks that are carefully doled out for maximum suspense. But while the plot moves quickly, the focus is still on the characters, their rel ...more
Araseli
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I'm so happy I gave this book a try and ending up loving it so much. Fombelle's writing style it's so easy and simple to read. It is written in third person pov and is written so well that all the characters are intertwine wonderfully. From the very beginning I liked this book it so mysterious, has unusual adventures, historical fiction and humor through out it. This book is just the tip of the iceberg and I cannot wait to read more on Vango and his mysterious life. I'm looking forwar ...more
Mia Esguerra
It seemed to Zefiro as if, by appearing in their lives, Vango had nudged the earth around a little, to make it face the sun.

Fisrt off, kudos to translator Ms. Ardizzone, who I think did an amazing job in translating Fombelle's beautiful writing into English! so good

I enjoyed this a lot! I don't know why but this book, its story and the way it was written, is very nostalgic to me. It reminded me of a mix of Tintin & Eoin Colfer & my favorite adventure classics, all I loved very much
Daran A.
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Vango is a story (set in France) about a man who has committed a crime, but doesn't know what he did. He runs away from police officers, and barely escapes them, but throughout the whole book Vango is running from the officers pretty much.

The story does go into detail of the different places that Vango or the police officers are at. This can really help understand where they are, and what Vango can do to escape the officers and really give you a "feel" for the area of where they're at. The story
Beth Honeycutt
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely 4.5 stars! I chose to read this because it was originally written in French, and I needed a book written in another language for my 50 book reading challenge. I really enjoyed this book - adventurous, mysterious, well-written and interesting!
V
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love how it is writtenand also that it's one of those stories with a lot of characters mixing ones with the others until everything makes sense.
Wishing to read the second one.
Kathy Meulen Ellison
This book reminds me of Tintin. But with a Zeppelin.
Audrey C
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
“Perhaps it was because of his wife that Pippo the farmer dreamt of becoming a sailor. There are certain people on this earth who make you want to sail very far away, and above all for a very long time.”

Actual rating: 3,75/5.

One of my friends has been recommending Vango to me since September. I finally decided to read it, and I'm so happy I did! This book is really special and different from every other book out there. I had a hard time getting into it since we learn so little about
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Who could have predicted what would happen in the time it takes to boil an egg?

To read Vango is to step in a fantastic adventure sweeping across all of Europe and spanning two decades. It is a wonderful story full of mysteries and amazingly detailed, varied characters. It is a story rich in history that brings a new world to life.

I was hooked on Vango from the moment I saw the cover. I loved the colours and style of the illustrations which reminded me of the wartime posters of the 1930s and 1940
Tori Hood
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hhhhhhhnnngggggggggggggggg okay

let me go on the record and say that this book is not for me. This is not the genre I typically read. I literally do not know what to rate this book I’ve bounced from 1 and 2 stars the entire book.

First of all the main thing I have with this book is that throughout the whole book I have NO IDEA HOW OLD VANGO IS! But besides that, it was very sporadic in plot, changed perspective with no clear indication, and just dragged on for far too long.

If you were to ask me
Haden
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This adventurous story is one of a boy raised on a mysterious island. The boys name is Vango. He travels to a nearby island to find a secret monastery, here he discovers his desire to become a monk. Vango travels near and far throughout the book to find a school for priests and monks but is accused of s murder at the school. After this he has to flee the french police and survive on his own.
Isaac Harris
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i feel like i should apologise to this book for taking so long to read it. it's beautifully written, with such care and attention to depth, with rich characterisation and layers upon layers of world-building. the happenstances that occur are laugh-out-loud comical, and every aspect is so well-researched. felt rushed at the end, but maybe it leads into the sequel? dunno

loved it. bravo timotheé
Dustyloup
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmm. I would recommend this to an 11-14 year old who loves to read and is just learning about world history, because the background of the story is interesting and really tires together the historical context.
But it really wasn't my cup of tea. I adored Tobie Lolness, but this story fell a bit flat for me. I started reading it in September, got a couple of chapters in and had to return it to the library, them checked out again about six weeks before the library shut down due to covid19. If it we
Nora
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure-lovers
Incredibly detailed and complex and wonderful world-building.
The author is clearly a genius, the story is very original and the writing was beautiful, even though I read a translation.
I loved it and am moving to the second book right away!
Roy-James
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I devoured this book in a little over four days; I feel like a fox that broke into the hen house and ate all the chickens, and is now sprawled on the floor feeling both gluttonous and smug.

Maybe I should have taken polite, little nibbles and made it last – a book this size can keep a family of four sustained for weeks. But when every chapter ends with revelation, good manners go out the window.

So well written – and translated. It's structured perfectly, the plot, at times complex, isn't convolut
Victoria Paratheras
Aug 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: school-reads
All I'm saying is if I could give this minus one billion stars, oh believe me, I would.
This book was the first one assigned for us to read for French class. I, myself, am not the biggest francophone out there. I hear them speak french outside of school and cringe. I live in good old Montreal Quebec where if you are francophone everything is made simpler for you and makes you extremely comfortable knowing that your rights are heard. As for us anglophones, we struggle with every new law passing th
Cayla
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I picked this book up because of the intriguing cover and the synopsis on the back that sounded right up my alley. I'll admit that I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, however. Yes, this book is about Vango and his flight from the authorities, but his story really only plays one small part in a virtual maze of characters, story arcs, and POVs. Maybe some would find this type of story-telling distracting as we often moved from one character's head to the next across the short page brea ...more
Tara
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book and immediately went online to order the second book.

This book was quite different than the ones I generally gravitate to. Another librarian in my school district selected this one for our 2017 Battle of the Books. Then Michael Cart recommended the sequel in his talk about the best YA books of the year at the California School Library Association conference.

This book is huge. Tons of settings. Tons of characters. Tons of modes of transportation. Drama. Mystery. Comic relief.
Ms. C Rivas
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The wanderlust spirit in me really connected with this book. Vango's travels around the world and the various friends he made along the way reminded me of my own travels, albeit not in such desperate circumstances as Vango's.

Accused of a crime he didn't commit, Vango is on the run; as a result, the history of this fascinating young man slowly emerges. We also meet some of Vango's fascinating friends and enemies along the way.

Although I haven't read the original French version, the translation is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Oh, boy !
  • Terrienne
  • Vipère au poing
  • Sweet Sixteen
  • Le sang jamais n'oublie (Les Mystères de Larispem #1)
  • Tornades (La vie compliquée de Léa Olivier, #6)
  • Ténèbre
  • La Tempête des échos (La Passe-Miroir, #4)
  • Le Souffle de la Hyène (L'Autre, #1)
  • Extraterrestre... ou presque! (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #1)
  • L'aube sera grandiose
  • Les Petites Reines
  • 2105 : Mémoire interdite
As a child...
Timothee de Fombelle was born in the heart of Paris in 1973, but often accompanied his architect father on his travels to Africa. Each summer his family left for the countryside (the west of France), where the five brothers and sisters lived like wild horses, making huts in the trees, playing in the river and losing themselves in the woods. In the evening they performed plays for the

Vango (2 books)
  • Un prince sans royaume (Vango, #2)