Start by marking “5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List” as Want to Read:
5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Harley Pasternak, M.Sc., holds an MS in exercise physiology and nutritional sciences from the University of Toronto, and an honors degree in kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario. He is certified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology. His work has been profiled in such national publications as Redbook, Glamo ...more
Published December 6th 2005 by Perigee Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 5-Factor Fitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 5-Factor Fitness

Jack
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
worth a read for gym rats
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book...but more importantly, I actually USE this book. I don't really like to exercise and nor do I have time for long workouts. So what usually happens is, I start a fitness program and stay with it at first, but then I miss a day here and there and pretty soon I'm not doing it anymore.

What makes the 5-Factor Fitness program easier to stick with is that it only takes about 25 minutes a day (a little longer by week 5 as the number of sets increases), and you get 2 days a week
Katrina
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this today from the library and finished it this evening in the bath. It's clear and concise and I love that. I especially like the exercises and the schedule. It looks like an easy exercise regimen to follow, even for those of us who don't exercise. And it's not intimidating. No scary moves or creepy machines. Just 5 days a week, 25 minutes a day. Simple. And isn't that what most of us want from exercise- simple & effective?

The nutrition plan is sound and looks easy enough. I'm going
Nicole
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The exercises in this book worked great for me and I liked the results I achieved. It helped me get healthy, toned and lose some weight. I hate working out but wanted to get healthy by having a regular exercise routine. I work a lot at my job and don't have a lot of time and just needed ideas on a routine. The exercises are easy to follow and can work even if you only do the minimum. The explanations for how the exercises should look or feel we're very helpful. I chose to do cardio at the end fo ...more
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
The content is good, but the editing of this e-book version is atrocious! There are words missing and blatant spelling errors. Not to mention that there was obviously little thought put into it's readability in ebook format. The exercise plan is laid out in a chart that it suggests you "photocopy", and it is several pages long. If you want to see the heading of a column in the chart you have to flip back to the first page of the chart! Very frustrating to try and make sense of.
Melinda
I really liked this book. It talks a little bit but then gives you 10 weeks worth of workouts using weights etc. 25 min workout 5 times a week is all it states. i have been doing the workout for 4-5 weeks now and have lost just over 5 pounds. I also watch what snacks I eat. It also has suggestions for food, but I didn't get to read that far before turning it into the library.

25 min workout. Great for a busy mom.
Moira
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physiology
Liked it and am working it. One thing: if you have back issues as I do, most of the abdominal exercises could hurt your back. Instead, I'm doing these 3 exercises: lower ab reverse curls, oblique twists and legs passing. This website tells you how to do them right: www.simplebackpain.com/best-exercises...
Teena in Toronto
New twist on what I already know but it was an interesting read. Everything is in fives.

I've been come a grazer, as he suggests, in the last couple years - Harley says to have five meals a day. Not a hard plan to follow and I like it because it's using real food and non-complicated exercises.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/02...
Casey
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It goes along with the eating philosophies that I've been using for the last year and a half that helped me lose 30lbs and maintain the loss. I'm going to eat more leafy greens than the recipes recommend, but otherwise very few changes will be made to this plan...I'm going to try it for 5 weeks at least!
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this isn't the end-all, be-all of fitness plans. But I really like trying different things to stay excited about nutrition and exercise, and this has some great suggestions. And it's a quick read! I'm going to try it for 5 weeks and then I'll update this review and let you know!
Julie
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone looking for a new way to look at diet and exercise should read this book. Very impressed. I know everyone thinks their method is right, but if it works for busy celebrities, is can't be all bad, right?
Anniefelt
Okay, so I only flipped through it. It is just too much work to try to do the meal plans and what not when you are a mom of young children. I guess that is why it worked so well for Jessica Simpson..she has all the free time in the world!
Lisa
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a system that obviously works for anyone.
Recommended to Lisa by: No one
I have literally read this entire book in less than a few hours. It's fantastic. I can't wait to try out the exercises Harley recommends, though I have to admit I've done almost all of them in the past and they're not complicated.
Allison Frederick
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been doing the exercises in this book for 2 weeks now and I am happy. He is/was the personal trainer for Halle Berry, good credentials. This book is written in a simple way. His philosophical foundations seem to make sense to me.
SenoraG
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My new bible. Highly recommended
Ashley M
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2009
Seems interesting concept. Not sure if I will implement it because I infrequently stick to eating certain foods. Good principles though.
Yvi
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guter Ratgeber mit einfachen Rezepten und Übungen die ohne teure und aufwändige Geräte auskommen.
Andrea
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting...we will see if it works...
Harvey
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for beginners and busy people. I skimmed it but it's still good reference for non beginners.
Kathryn
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love his workout!! 25 mins and a day 5 days a week and different everyday!! I can totally do this!
Glenda
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical and easy to do. Not something true of all diet and exercise books.
Tabatha
Apr 20, 2011
Iraina Valencia
Feb 01, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Biggest Loser Fitness Program: Fast, Safe, and Effective Workouts to Target and Tone Your Trouble Spots--Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
  • Ultimate Fitness: The Quest for Truth about Health and Exercise
  • The Barefoot Investor: Five Steps to Financial Freedom in Your 20s and 30s
  • Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth
  • Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
  • 703: How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton and Gained a Life
  • Body for Life for Women: A Woman's Plan for Physical and Mental Transformation
  • Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life
  • As Good As Gold: 1 Woman, 9 Sports, 10 Countries and a a 2-Year Quest to Make the Summer Olympics
  • Stretching
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Listening Book
  • How Winning Works: 8 Essential Leadership Lessons from the Toughest Teams on Earth
  • Kitchen of Light: New Scandinavian Cooking with Andreas Viestad
  • Stop the Insanity
  • The Forest of Souls: A Walk Through the Tarot
  • Cakes and Ale for the Pagan Soul: Spells, Recipes, and Reflections from Neopagan Elders and Teachers
  • Philosophy of Wicca
Harley Samuel Pasternak is a Los Angeles-based personal trainer, public speaker and NY Times best-selling author known for The Body Reset Diet and the 5-Factor Diet, a popular diet and fitness lifestyle. He holds an Honours Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto. [wikipedia ...more
More about Harley Pasternak...