Start by marking “Write Starts: Prompts, Quotes, and Exercises to Jumpstart Your Creativity” as Want to Read:
Write Starts: Prompts, Quotes, and Exercises to Jumpstart Your Creativity

Write Starts: Prompts, Quotes, and Exercises to Jumpstart Your Creativity

Even dedicated and experienced writers need what author and writing coach Hal Zina Bennett provides: a fresh, fun, surefire place to start. In this handy resource, practiced and aspiring writers alike will find inspiration and initiative in the form of prompts for brief writing exercises, story prompts that set forth dramatic arcs for more lengthy works, readings with exer ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by New World Library (first published December 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Write Starts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Starts

Tami
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Even the most prolific writer has bad days, or weeks as the case may be. Intellectually, we all know that down time is necessary. We realize that sometimes ideas need to take shape before they can be plopped on paper. Often, such things take time and patience.

Nonetheless, while in the midst of one of these episodes it’s very hard not to get discouraged. Being stuck is no fun. Moreover, it is during these more difficult times when our inner critic tends to come out and question our decision to w
Kori
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfic, writing
This book could be great for the older, more experienced or task oriented writer, but for me it didn't get the job done. I suppose one could say it just didn't cater to my prompting needs. I think prompts need to be a few short, inspiring words/directions to get the ink flowing, but these (and no, I didn't mistake them for the exercises, I know they're different) were a bit drawn out and unstimulating.
Debra Daniels-zeller
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
This book is filled with ideas to kickstart or improve your writing. Some of my favorites include: The Fine Art of Observation, Checklist for Creating Characters, and Variation is the Spice of Write. This is a great book for those times when you wait for a bus or have a bit of time before meeting a friend and it's small enough to tuck inside a purse for easy inspiration any time. I will read this one over and over again. A great addition to my writing books.
Kris
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot of these were more writing exercises than prompts, but there was some creative stuff here. I think it would be particularly useful for fiction writers, but since I have been focused on writing poetry lately, I found it less inspiring.
Heather
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than a number of books similar to it that I've read. Finally finished through it. Was surprised t wasn't on my list here...
Mariah Jensen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
At first it seemed like any other type of writing advice book but once I got into it I was excited by all the original ideas to find inspiration. Like Tarot cards!
Brenna
Jun 13, 2014
Michelle
Jul 29, 2014
Curt Bobbitt
rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2015