Start by marking “A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)

A Local Habitation

(October Daye #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  17,460 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews
Now comes the second in the series-from a dynamic new fantasy talent!

Toby Daye-a half-human, half-fae changeling-has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the fae world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world had other ideas...

Now her liege, the Duke of the Shadowed Hills, has asked
Published March 2nd 2010 by Daw

·  17,460 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Start your review of A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

When we left October at the end of ROSEMARY AND RUE, she had resumed her life as a changeling, existing to varying degrees in both the human and fae worlds. She'd gotten her PI license renewed, and things were altogether looking up for her, b/c she'd finally stopped ostriching.

A LOCAL HABITATION begins with a somewhat drunken October and a couple of her changeling friends wrapping up a girls night out.

It's an October we haven't seen before, I bloody love it:

“T
Anne
If it weren't for trusted friends telling me this gets better, I think I'd dump this series.

Why?
Well, for starters, dumbassery abounds in book 2. If there's a cliche about what not to do when a serial killer is on the loose, then these idiots can't WAIT to do it!

description

Toby is called on by Sylvester to investigate why his niece isn't returning his phone calls. He can't go himself, because of Fairy politics (that I still don't entirely understand), which means she's basically on her own. Well, he send
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 You Are Growing on Me Stars

Buddy Read with the UF cravers at Buddies Books and Baubles

I didn’t initially fall head over heels in love with this series. And I’m still not totally in love….but I feel like the first book was our first date and while it wasn’t the best first date I’ve ever been on it also wasn’t the worst. On our first date Toby was dark and moody and most everything in the book seemed to take on a shade of that.

But Toby also didn’t break any of my huge no, no rules on our first
Shannon
I really wanted to like this one. I did. But it was bloated and Toby was a terrible detective. Let me explain...

Toby gets a visit from Sylvester, her liege, just as she's starting to pick up the pieces of her life from the last book. He wants her to check on his niece, January, over in another kingdom because she hasn't check in for a few weeks. January's county is situated in between his and another Duchess's lands so if he goes to help her there would be political conflict. So he asks Toby to
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
The land of Faerie has always intermingled with the mortal world. With their secret Courts. Terrifying creatures and legends. Where their beauty is only equal to their danger.

description

One definitely unique change to the fey world is that changelings aren't stolen children like most fey stories, instead they are mortal halfbreeds who don't quite fit into either worlds. Enter our heroine, October 'Toby' Daye. And all the shenanigans she gets into.

Re-Reading this series I'm able to appreciate and enjoy
r.
Holy crap, this book was SO FRUSTRATING.

Okay, so Toby is clearly the worst detective in the entire world. Every single mystery was easily solved a quarter of the way through the book, but she spends the entire book meandering around, refusing to suspect THE MOST OBVIOUS SUSPECT, and ultimately triumphing through the process of elimination after almost everyone she came there to save has been murdered.

Uh...good job?!?!

But the thing that I find most frustrating is that Toby is supposed to be so cy
Emma
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this more than the first. I think it can take a while to get familiar with a new world of faerie, it's politics and machinations. The author realises this very well and I love the different types of faerie and their 'skill sets'.
I like this MC Toby Daye because she is vulnerable yet feisty. I enjoyed the dynamic that seems to be unfolding very slowly between her and Tybalt.
There's no question about me continuing the series. (Yet another one!)
Denisa
A lot of people didn't really like this one but... I kind of loved it.

Finally, I find another series that keeps me glued to the story! Not just a book or a character or the plot but everything in it!

This one felt a bit like a filler, nothing extremely important happened in the MC's life, but I really enjoyed it. Even more than the first one, so yay!
All the characters are really fun and interesting and crazy and you can't help but fall in love with them one word at a time.

I can't wait to see wh
Alp
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The first half : 4 stars
The second half : 2 stars

I enjoyed the first 50% of the book a lot and I thought it was really better than the first installment in this series. But then the rest of the book proved me otherwise. It didn't impress me as much as I expected. Toby still made numerous bad decisions, which totally ticked me off. I have to admit, I haven’t quite warmed up to her yet, but I trust my GR friends that she will gradually get better. Hopefully, it will happen real soon!

In this book,
Choko
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.65 ***

A buddy read with the UF addicts at BB&B!

The second of an Urban Fantasy series about a half Fae, Half human PI who solves mysteries for a Fae ruler. Since it is the second in a running series, it was easier to get into, because we already had October's background, knew some parts of the world, and most of all, got to love some of the characters. Toby was much more comfortable in her skin and the whole story felt much more three dimensional than the previous one, which cemented my de
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Local Habitation (October Daye #2), Seanan McGuire

October "Toby" Daye is a changeling, the daughter of Amandine of the fae and a mortal man. Like her mother, she is gifted in blood magic, able to read what has happened to a person through a mere taste of blood.

Toby is the only changeling who has earned knighthood, and she re-earns that position every day, undertaking assignments for her liege, Sylvester, the Duke of the Shadowed Hills.

Now Sylvester has asked her to go to the County of Tamed L
The Flooze
ETA: I've continued reading this series and want to point out I gave books four and five considerably higher ratings. Four stars each.
_________________________

** Almost a 3 **

Seanan McGuire is talented. She’s just useless at crafting mysteries.

Unlike the first book, A Local Habitation resulted in me liking Toby. She is strong-minded and determined. She’s also quite amusing in her interactions, particularly when conversing with Quentin or Tybalt. She’s fiercely loyal, holds duty in high regard,
Jo
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁

16/03/2016 Buddy read with my fellow UF addicts over at BB&B, because this series is really good!

"My mother was so strong she could taste the death of plants. She could never stomach maple syrup; she said it tasted like trees screaming.”

Toby is half-human, half-Daoine Sidhe. The Daoine Sidhe is known as the blood-workers of the Fae. Because she is the daughter of the greatest blood-worker alive, Amandine, she’s now slouch when it comes to blood magic. She’s able to ride the blood, gaining

carol.
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folklore fans, fans of UF, those wanting a light read

The second installment of the urban fantasy October Daye series, A Local Habitation was initially an improvement on Rosemary and Rue, especially due to the integration of unusual beings from folklore–the Bannick cleaning scene was a fun interpretation of cleaning fairies, and the hippocampi fish tank was clever. (Aside-I would dearly love a little Spike of my own). The opening scene with an inebriated October escorting her almost equally inebriated friends to the train was fun, and dialogue with
Bunnycore
I was not a fan of the first book, I didn't hate it I just didn't love it but after being told that it gets better I picked this one up. I wasn't Disappointed.

After being asked by her liege, Toby was set on to The Tamed Lightning a.k.a Fremont, CA with her charge and friend Quentin. Sylvester asked her to check on his niece January. What she finds are mystery and mayhem. A lot of wit from herself and Quentin and yes some cats.... a lot of cats.....

She sticks around to help January and her crew
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I’m going to need some encouragement to keep reading this series.

I really want to like it, but I’m struggling. The first book was a bit mediocre (something I don’t hold against introductory UF novels), but had a lot of promise. I was expecting this second book to show some improvements, but ended up liking it less.

First off, the storyline didn’t have anything to do with what happened in the first novel. October was sent off on a tangent mission that, from my initial impression, had absolutely no
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the UF lovers from BB&B

The second instalment of the October Daye series takes us deeper into the Fae world when Toby is sent to investigate the sudden lack of communication from the neighbouring County - Tamed Lightning under the regency of Sylvester's niece - January. So with this book we got two more month named characters - January (Jan) and April. We've got 9 more free names for new characters ;p Seriously the Fae seem obsessed with months :D Back to the plot, Toby is sent
h o l l i s
S t r u g g l e b u s.

That's what this whole read was. It's a good thing I was warned in advance that this book would not be a favourite and would require some pushing through because oh boy was that accurate. So I'm paying it forward and passing along that warning.

Some of what I expressed as my main issue with book one was definitely present in book two. More romantic entanglements (because why not), more making things complicated with the existing ones (because why not), and combined with a my
Mark
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as Rosemary and Rue. McGuire's writing style is still top-notch, but this one felt like it dragged a bit, as though there wasn't quite enough story to justify the length. And aside from Toby, Quentin, Tybalt, and April, there just weren't any other characters I cared about...this decreased my enjoyment a bit.

But overall, a solid work of UF. There are some additional world-building elements thrown into the mix (one of the author's strengths), and I liked
Mizuki
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The first book is decent but this sequel is more enjoyable and imaginative! I was fully enjoying myself with this book! The world building and setting is so great and by the way blood ritual and dark magic is so cool and exciting! Yaaahhoooo!

I want to read the next book so much!

PS: Is Raysel a changeling too?

Review for book 1: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Review for book 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Review for book 5: Review for book 1: https://www.goodreads.c
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Reading this was like watching mice in a labyrinth, feeling cruel and amused and betting on that grey little mouse that may look pathetic but you know it's scrappy enough to beat the others. It may be bloody, broken and half dead by the time it reaches the finish line but hey, who said anything about it being easy?

I am honestly intrigued to see what more tricks October has up her sleeve, the latest one was kinda crazy if not entirely unexpected given enough time to think. And judging by Tybalt's
Two books in and I'm already totally hooked on the October Daye series! Toby seemed a lot more settled in this book, she's still dealing with the emotional fallout of events from the first book but she's got past the stay in bed all day wallowing part and now she's more ready to face the world and her friends again. She's back doing what she does best, working as a PI taking on cases for both humans and the fae and she's starting to get her life back on track.

A Local Habitation kicks off with he
Kristen
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Well, that was terrible.

Firstly, the pacing. McGuire could have had a book a quarter the size of this novel if she had cut out the repetitions. I cannot believe how many times the characters explained to themselves, explained to each other, or explained to us what was going on. Honestly, this was a novel written for adults, not chimps.

Secondly, the characters. Initially, in Rosemary and Rue, I didn't fully enjoy October as the main character. She doesn't really have much going for her; she isn't
Solseit
It really is a 3.5 stars.
I just love Toby and the world building. It is good entertainment to buffer other reads!
The story this time was a bit more obvious - although it is presented with a fairly modern twist.
Heidi
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friends! I’ve finally done it, I’ve found another Urban Fantasy series I think I’m going to love. There were concerns as I ventured past the world of Ilona Andrews. I tried a couple of new starts, and came away disappointed and worried that all other UF had a lackluster sheen to it. Toby Daye and I got off to an okay start, enough to make me interested in checking out A Local Habitation, and I’m so glad I did. In book two of the October Daye series Seanan McGuire really finds her stride, and I’m ...more
Ina
Re-read: 20/11/2017
4 stars

Seeing my original review is a little bit funny, because first time I read this series, I enjoyed the first book much more than this one, while now it's the other way around. When I started re-reading this series, I wasn’t sure why I gave it such good rating the first time I read it. Luckily, I’m starting to remember now. Even though there is a plenty of deaths (seriously, a lot of deaths) in this one, it’s still much lighter than the first installment. We get more
Kira
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2011: 5 stars
2014: 4 stars
2016: 3.5 stars

I can definitely say this is my least favorite book in the series. I get a little more annoyed with it each time I read it. Toby is sent to Fremont to check on Sylvester’s niece since he can’t reach her. When Toby arrives, January claims it's Sylvester who isn’t responding to her calls, so Toby realizes something weird is going on. Then it isn’t long before people start dying.

The characters in Fremont weren’t interesting. Gordon was a bitch. Alex and Ter
alicat ♡➹♡
3.5 stars....

I was pleasantly surprised by this book and enjoyed the mystery and most of the characters. I went into it with low expectations so I think that helped.

For the first few chapters I getting sick of all the weird posturing, etc. by the characters Toby had gone to see. And then the murder happened and things finally get interesting. Of course, all the characters Toby is trying to save keep trying to get themselves killed by being stupid. The Alex thing... (view spoiler)
Veronica
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I reread this in a day, in anticipation of the release of A Red-Rose Chain next month. I'm leaving my original three star rating as is. Toby took a few too many missteps, there was not enough Tybalt, and Connor's inclusion felt wholly contrived. If it was too politically sensitive to send the Duke of Shadowed Hills, then sending his heir's husband (basically the Crown Duke) should've also been off the table. Plus, he's a moron. ...more
Kate
October Daye, Knight has been asked to do a favour for her liege Slyvester, Duke of Shadowed Hills, go to the county of Tamed Lightening and see why his niece has been out of contact. Seems like an easy babysitting job really that is until the dead start turning up. At the same time Toby has to be diplomatic due to politics. Toby doesn’t do politics.

Although Toby is a changeling she knows her blood magic and I can’t wait to see more of what she can do. She is stronger than she thinks she is.

Pl

• Home Improvement: Undead Edition
  • Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Over the Woodward Wall (The Up-and-Under, #1)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

October Daye (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)