Start by marking “Finstere Orte” as Want to Read:
Finstere Orte

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Finstere Orte

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  411,189 Ratings  ·  29,570 Reviews
Sie war sieben, als die Schüsse fielen. Als sie in die kalte Nacht hinauslief und sich versteckte. Als ihre Mutter und ihre beiden Schwestern umgebracht wurden. Als ihre Zeugenaussage ihren Bruder für immer hinter Gitter brachte. Jetzt, 25 Jahre später, ist aus Libby Day eine verbitterte, einsame Frau geworden, deren Leben eigentlich keines mehr ist. Doch inzwischen gibt e ...more
Published February 19th 2010 by Scherz Verlag (first published May 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Finstere Orte, please sign up.

Judy Desetti As a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go…moreAs a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go away, they will still be available in a few years when you have more life experiences and can understand the depth of emotions for the characters and events. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

I highly recommend reading this whilst sitting in the sun with plenty of happy people around you (as I did) - that way you can avoid contracting something evil and nasty from its pages, and also avoid losing any hope you had for humanity.

Okay, sorry, I make it sound so negative when actually this book is pretty fantastic if you can stomach the
Kat O'Keeffe
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing style and the characterization so much--Gillian Flynn is a fantastic author! And I was so hooked by the mystery right away, I just flew through this book. Toward the end I did feel like we lost a little steam, but all the twists and revelations still kept things interesting, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed this! Definitely looking forward to seeing the movie, and probably picking up Gone Girl very soon here!
karen
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i was not a lovable child, and i'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.

gillian flynn sure does love writing about horrible people doing horrible things.and i sure do love reading about them. especially because she isn't one of those writers coasting on shock value and "can you belieeeeeve a delicate flower of a woman is writing this??" but she can really tell a story and i, for one, was completely surprised and pleased by the ending o
Tatiana
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who can stomach filth
As seen on The Readventurer

Seriously, what goes on in Gillian Flynn's head? She writes the freakiest stuff. Sharp Objects was nasty enough, and Dark Places is just as vile. Luckily for her, I (along with millions of people) like vile now and then.

Libby Day is a sole survivor of a horrendous massacre. Her mother and two sisters were brutally killed one winter night and, mostly thanks to Libby's testimony, the murders were attributed to Libby's older brother Ben, an alleged active Satan worshiper.
Kristin (KC)
*4.5 Stars*

Gillian Flynn scares me.

But it’s a good scare! A keep-you-up-all-night-anxiously-reading-because-closing-the-book-is-not-an-option kinda scare.

If you thought Gone Girl was twisted, make room for Dark Places because this suspenseful thriller takes “freaky” to a whole *nuther* level.

I went in thinking I was fully prepared.

I wasn’t.

This book is so astoundingly demented, it truly makes me wonder exactly how Miss Flynn thinks up such bold scenarios. The plot is so “out-there”, yet way
Ana
{BR with Scarlet}

"The truly frightening flaw in humanity is our capacity for cruelty - we all have it."

photo monsters-are-real_zpsgobyq5yz.jpg

I have no emotions left.

photo giphy_zpsw0cpzh18.gif

This is a book that will stay with me forever. It left me speechless in different ways, with pretty intense emotions from anger and sadness coupled with hopelessness.

photo vodka-gif_zpsc3beoi7y.gif

This is not just a thriller/mystery/suspense novel but an absolute psychological roller coaster. I found myself almost too scared to keep reading, but so riveted I just HAD to find out what would happen
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller lovers, true crime fans, women
Recommended to Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) by: Entertainment Weekly
Normally I wouldn't give a genre book like this a 5-star review, because I'm picky and controlling about handing out major praise. How could a crime/mystery be as good as, say, Thomas Hardy or Alice Munro? Apples and oranges.

But I just finished this about five minutes ago, and it made me gasp. It's so good -- a well-paced page-turner, beautifully wrought. I literally couldn't put it down for longer than a couple hours at a time once I picked it up (with the exception of sleep).

According to her A
Terry
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Gillian Flynn's first novel, Sharp Objects, was interestingly disturbing; in fact, it walked a razor-thin line between "Huh, you certainly don't read that every day" and "Gillian Flynn has some serrrriiiious issues and I'm a little bit afraid of her". I wasn't sure whether I respected her extremely dark side or her dark side is so dark it makes her books kind of uncomfortable to read.

Strangely enough (once you know the story outline) Dark Places actually has a more conventional plot than Sharp
Raeleen Lemay
I have now officially read all of Gillian Flynn's books, and I really enjoyed this one!

The story and the characters were so twisted, and the last hour or so of the audiobook was insaaaane.
Alejandro
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, detective, novel
Gripping and entertained!

DAYS GO BY

You gotta believe in something, right? Everyone has their thing.

This is my second novel by Gillian Flynn, and now I am realizing that I have been reading them backwards, I mean in the opposite publishing order, but this has been due mainly the order of film adaptations. However, I won’t wait until having any film adaptation of Sharp Objects, to read that one. I do hope to read it in the following months.

My reading experience with Gone Girl wasn’t any good
Ida Public Librar...: Active vs. Passive 1 6 Jan 04, 2018 09:41AM
Book Buddies: Dark Places 63 18 Nov 02, 2017 04:37AM
Book Buddy discussion 1 6 Oct 15, 2017 12:04PM
Suffolk bookclub: Dark Places - Gillian Flynn - October 4 11 Aug 29, 2017 05:11PM
Book Talk: Dark Places 30 34 Jun 21, 2017 02:31PM
  • Fludd
  • Queenpin
  • Boom!
  • Kill You Twice (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #5)
  • The One I Left Behind
  • Human Remains
  • A Tap on the Window
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)
  • Kind of Cruel (Spilling CID, #7)
  • Mother, Mother
  • Reconstructing Amelia
  • The Ridge
  • These Things Hidden
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Darling Jim
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
More about Gillian Flynn...
“I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.” 559 likes
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it.” 392 likes