Start by marking “Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family, #3)

Highlander in Love (Lockhart Family #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  669 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The final novel in London's USA Today bestselling trilogy. Mared Lockhart is offered by her brothers to their rival, Payton Douglas, to pay off a debt. Only after Mared convinces Payton to let her work as a servant rather than marry him do sparks begin to ignite. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 365 pages
Published August 29th 2006 by Pocket Star Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Highlander in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highlander in Love

Fani *loves angst*
I really liked this book, while I don't usually enjoy heroes who pursue the heroine for most of the book, swallowing their pride in order to win her affection. And Payton is such a hero; he's been besotted with Mared since they were children. When Mared begs him not to marry her since she will never love him, he wants to humiliate her: he demands that she becomes his housekeeper instead. And Mared is forced to accept, because of the debt her family owes him. But as she lives with him, she gets t ...more
Karyn Gerrard
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The heroine was petulant and spoiled, and it kind of spoiled the read for me. Payton Douglas should be canonized as a saint for all he had to put up with from the heroine in this book. He also was a delightful hero. A good read, would have enjoyed it more if only the heroine had not grated half as much~
Veri
Oh the angst in this book!! I'm torn as to saying it was good or bad so I will list what I liked and what I didn't :
The good:
-The hero Payton is The most besotted hero I have EVER read . He makes Edward Cullen seem lukewarm in his affections for Bella
- the setting was great
-no issues with one main character being a "sassenach" (english ) , both main characters shared The same heritage but were enemy clans ( more on this later)
- hero And heroine have know each other forever.

The bad:
- The her
Kimberly Walter
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mared Lockhart is supposedly cursed daughter of the Lockhart family and she wants to be free of it and to travel to places that know nothing of her curse. But unfortunately she can do neither until she looks in the belly of the beast and until the Lockhart pays it loan debt to Payton Douglas. They lost the beastie again and now they can not pay, so Payton demands Mared's hand in marriage, oh but boy is she a stubborn prideful scot woman, she will not whatsoever marry a Douglas. Now that Mared is ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Payton Douglas has loved Mared Lochart ever since they were little and they've grown up right next door to each other. But Douglases and Locharts have a long and trecherous history with their ancestors causing harm to each other and Mared sees their names as a problem. She refuses to marry him so he makes her his housekeeper in order to pay back the debt owed to him by her family. During her employment they get to know each other better and she falls for him too, and gives him her virginity. But ...more
Bonnie
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite different in that the hero understood from before the book opened that he loved the heroine and wanted no one but her. A great version of Taming of the Shrew...I really enjoyed the whole book!
Robin
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Payton has always loved Mared, since they were bairns. He makes no no qualms about it and never let's her forget it. Mared is stubborn, can spoiled and some times not an easy character to like. However, together, they create fireworks. Loved it.Loved Payton. Soooo romantic at the end.
ChloeLeeNH
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Best of the trilogy. I loved Payton. Never wavering in his complete love of Mared. Sigh... how romantic!
Sacha
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Etty
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Meski masih asing ama gaya tulisannya tapi plotnya boleh juga. Sepanjang baca novel HR, jarang2 ada tokoh heroine dari keluarga terhormat disuruh jadi pembantu gara2 menolak lamaran sang hero yang sakit hati walau rasa cintanya besar banget sejak mereka kecil, hanya gara2 heroinenya angkuh dan takut pada kutukan keluarganya. Akhir cerita agak kurang suka karena Mared menolak mentah2 lamaran Payton untuk kedua kalinya hanya karena dia merasa ingin hidup bebas setelah terlepas dari kutukan selama ...more
Marisa
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read - what I found unique about this novel was that the hero was so in love with the heroine, so vulnerable to her alone. The heroine was feisty, funny and quite lovable. I got a little bit irritated with the heroine halfway through the book but still an excellent read. Definitely a keeper.
Dimples
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was in tears at certain points. It's super sweet, except for mared stubbornness was too much in the end. Payton forgave her too fast!! But otherwise I loved this book!
Roshane
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The feeling of romantic suspense!!!
Alisa
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Out of the three Lockhart family books, this was my hands down favorite. I adored Payton and Mared! That man was the epitome of true love. (sigh) :) He had to go through a lot and Mared had a lot of maturing to do. She was so stubborn, that I was at times frustrated with her, but it was fun to watch her grow and realize what was right in her face the whole time. Great book, fun read! Well earned hea.
Carolyn
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok, but could have been so much better.
Artisa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entretenido
Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar
First, I feel the need to remark on this series book covers; very nice, some might say yummy. Anyway, I think I am really going to like Payton Douglas. Already in the first and second chapters I find myself sighing (in a good way) and smiling at his thoughts. I love how Ms. London shows how Payton and Mared both have crosses to bear (the estate responsibilities for Payton and the curse for Mared) and are very lonely. Payton realizes how much Mared and him are alike, and I can't wait to see Mared ...more
Elle
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
A good premise and some strong emotional moments between the characters, but... (view spoiler) ...more
Pamela
Jan 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is not as light to read as Julia London's regencies, namely the Scandalous series, save the highlander one. Her highland romances lack something and simultaneously overdo something else. I don't know what because I am not a seasoned reader. This story was drawn out for all it could give in the way of being annoying and beating about the bush. Mared is childish. Payton is patient and overcome with love for her. I think there was inadequate focus on the build up of love. More on sex sex sex. ...more
Corrin
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I was going through a period of time where I just couldn't find anything to keep me interested and this book was one of them. It was also the book that pulled me out of the slump. I haven't read the rest of the series and I don't think I'm going to at least right now but this was a good read though it took them too long to get together I thought personally, if you think that is a spoiler then I'm sorry but you must be crazy.
Carmen Pacheco
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this VERY much. It slowed a bit when Payton got sick, but their relationship grew more profound during the illness, as she was at his side for its duration.

I do think Mared was childish; overly reluctant. Payton always took her rebukes in stride, even though they ate at him. When Payton had reached his "end", I cried and cried.

When I realized I had started book 3, I had already swooned for Payton; no way was I putting it down! ;D
Lorka
Jul 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
I actually did not read this book because: After reading book #2 and seeing how stubborn and frustrating the leading lady was.... and then reading other peoples reviews of this book #3, and seeing how others complained that the leading lady in book #3 was a spoiled brat, I decided to not read it. I do not like books where the leading ladies are unlikeable bratty complaining ice queens.
Carla
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
All I have to say is I wish I had a Highlander in Love! Peyton was every woman's dream. He was charming, handsome, wealthy, titled, and more. He was too easy on Mared in the end and I was just about tired of her. I guess you have to hit some people over the head before they know what they want.
Joyce
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved it!!!
Brenda
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-romances
One of the funniest books I have read in a while.
Kyoko
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Best book of the Lockhart Trilogy series.
Ilze
May 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Couldn't finish it. Heroine is supposedly 27 years old but behaves like a badly spoiled 12 year-old. Yuck!
Penny
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the hero in this book!
Nikki
Jun 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Dull couldn't get into it.
Michelle the Romance Witch
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars all round. Overall mixed feelings about this story, but in the end there was a happy ending and I enjoyed the read immensely. It was a great ending to an intriguing series.
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • To Love a Scottish Lord (The Highland Lords, #4)
  • In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • The Legend (Torridon, #1)
  • My Devilish Scotsman (MacDonell Brides, #2)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highland Hawk (Highland Brides, #7)
  • To Wed a Wicked Highlander (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #3)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
Julia London is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of more than two dozen romantic fiction novels. She is the author of the popular historical romance series, the Cabot Sisters, including The Trouble with Honor, The Devil Takes a Bride, and The Scoundrel and the Debutante. She is also the author of several contemporary romances, including Homecoming Ranch, Return to Homecoming R ...more
More about Julia London...

Lockhart Family (3 books)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highlander in Disguise (Lockhart Family #2)

“When it comes to ye, lass, I doubt even my sanity” 7 likes