Start by marking “Isle of Dogs” as Want to Read:
Isle of Dogs

Isle of Dogs (Andy Brazil #3)

3.09  ·  Rating Details ·  6,718 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
Patricia Cornwell's novels of big-city police have taken this classic genre to a new level. Now, with this #1 New York Times bestselling novel, she outdoes herself, with a wry tale of life and turmoil behind the blue wall.

Chaos breaks loose when the governor of Virginia orders that speed traps be painted on all streets and highways, and warns that speeders will be caught b
Published October 1st 2002 by Berkley Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Isle of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isle of Dogs

Lew
Jul 21, 2007 Lew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I'm surprised that I even finished this book. It is one of the worst books I have ever read. I'm a big fan of Scarpetti books but don't read this. I not sure it even rates a star
Asghar Abbas

Hilarious . Or was it ?

In any case , love Aug of 2005 .
May 02, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The only possible redeeming quality of this book is it could be used as fire kindling. This could quite possibly be the worst book ever.
Laura Ramos
Apr 26, 2008 Laura Ramos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Skip it -- she tried to write humor, but should have stuck with the Scarpetta formula that works.
Linda
May 25, 2008 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a huge waste of time. I kept thinking it would get better....it didn't! Too many characters - none likeable, plot (if you can call it that) too confusing.
If this had been the first Patricia Cornwell book I had read, I would never have picked up another. As it is, guess everyone is allowed a bad one once in awhile.
Linda
Apr 09, 2010 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite possibly, not only the worst book I have ever read by Patricia Cornwell, but the worst book I have ever read hands down. What a disappointment. I've kept up with the Kay Scarpetta series (which has also been going downhill in the last few books), and thought I'd branch out and read the other series she has written. The Win Garrano series wasn't bad, and was short and sweet (which made it tolerable). However, the Andy Brazil series takes the cake. Hornets Nest (first in the series) ...more
Nanosynergy
This is an absolutely terrible book! Cornwell is author of the Kay Scarpetta series (which I highly recommend for readers of this genre - particularly the earlier books in the series). In fact, the Scarpetta books are considered an influence in the development of the fictional, forensic television series (like CSI).

However, Isle of Dogs is not part of the Scarpetta series. I couldn't even slog through to the end in audio format. Wincing in embarrassment for the author, I went online to check out
Sheryl
Feb 08, 2008 Sheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book one star only because it is easy to read. I was taught to find something nice to say or don't say anything at all. This one makes that a challenge. Complete with talking blue crabs and trout, the story-line in Isle of Dogs is unbelievable and the characters shallow. I would not recommend this book.
Suzie
May 13, 2008 Suzie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't continue with this one. Far from the typical Patricia Cornewell books.
Tamela
May 18, 2010 Tamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was a die-hard Cornwell fan and even stuck with her when the quality of her writing began to go downhill. Because her early books were so compelling, I kept believing in her long after her gold had turned to dross. However, "Isle of Dogs" was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. It's clear to me that Patricia Cornwell has lost respect for her fans and thinks they'll buy whatever she's selling, no matter how poorly written. Is this what happens when authors start believing their own P ...more
Ralph McEwen
The story is silly and some what funny and a little scary. The scary part is that I really believe that there are self indulgent politicians with self involved family members, crooked cops and enough stupid people to make this almost a true story. I listened to this as a audio book and am now wishing that there was a way to rated the narration separate from the book. I would rate the book as a 2, but the narrator should be given 4 stars. She did a wonderful job creating separate voices and diale ...more
Sarah Jean
Apr 17, 2015 Sarah Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not written a review on here before, but am doing so now as I was surprised at the lack of enthusiasm from readers of this book. I loved it for its quirky characters, comedy and the way it valued kindness. I found the animal scenes especially funny! It made me curious about the settings and some of the historical asides. I have not read any books by this author and from the reviews I gather it is pretty different to her usual style so maybe that explains the dislike. I have just bought a ...more
Kay
Jan 01, 2008 Kay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO one
Shelves: mystery
How bad can you rate a book? I feel like a liar for giving it one star- surely there is a minus star I can put. I've been reading Cornwell since she started writing and have enjoyed her books. This one is still not finished [and only the 2nd book in my life I haven't been able to finish!] I believe she was drunk the entire time she wrote an took bad advice from a bartender [no offense to bartenders!].
Marcie Kreter
I only put this book on my list because it was by far the worst book I have ever read. If I could give it negative stars I would. I even wrote to the publisher demanding my money back. Story is horribly unbelievable bordering on plain stupid. It has talking crabs- enough said. I already think Patricia's writing style is questionable and this book only highlighted her weakness.
Kathryn
Feb 01, 2008 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I appreciate the fact that she is apparently trying to spread her wings from the typical Scarpetta novels, this misses it for me. There are places that simply left me shaking my head, wondering how the book could have made it onto the bestsellers list. But I won't give up on her yet....
Lorna
Dec 09, 2008 Lorna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Patricia Cornwell, but this book is convoluted and all over places. I'm about 100 pages into the book, and the main plot has barely been touched. I hate giving up on books, but this one is being returned to the library without being finished.
Mike
Dec 31, 2011 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read part of this one years ago. I'm pretty sure I gave up when the fish started talking.
woody
Mar 17, 2009 woody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute drivel! Do not read Patricia Cornwell's Andy Brazil series. It is lousy.
Her Kay Scarpetta series is good though.
Vinita
Jan 21, 2009 Vinita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I keep thinking that there were redeeming qualities about the book - but I can't think of any right now...perhaps the history angle? Not sure what to make of it...
William Potter
Jan 14, 2008 William Potter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the worst Cornwell book I have read. The other non-Scarpetta books were okay this one...I could not even finsh.
Connie
Jun 11, 2009 Connie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was an absolutely stupid book. The author's attempts at humor fall short of the mark. Read the Kay Scarpetta novels, but do not waste time on this one.
Catten
Dec 04, 2008 Catten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a good Kay Scarpetta adventure, skip this book. While the spirited Quincy-like ME appears in this novel, she's just a bit player. Part of the Andy Brazil series, Isle of Dogs turned out, for me anyway, to be a bust. (FYI, Hornet's Nest and Southern Cross were this book's predecessors.)

Jumping off from her more serious writing, Cornwell takes a breather, it seems, and penned this odd 400+ page story of pirates, politics, murder, and anthropomorphic* fish, crabs, and dogs.

The
Sam
Mar 31, 2011 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, humour, mystery
This is the first Patricia Cornwell book I've read and I must admit I was immensely underwhelmed by it. The synopsis on the cover suggested that this would be an intriguing crime thriller with a bit of humour and some quirky characters thrown in for good measure but that's not quite how it worked. Instead the eccentricities of the characters took over the story, which was flimsy at best, and resulted in a poor imitation of a Monty Python sketch. While the story did progress at pace there were ma ...more
Rachel
Jun 17, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I agree with many of the reviewers that this was Cornwell's worst book I've read, though I would fall short of calling it horrible. But it was ridiculous, yet not ridiculous enough to be funny. But then it also wasn't serious enough to be taken seriously - it was kind of the worst of both worlds. Even the names in the Andy Brazil series were ridiculous, like "Windy Breezes" and "Virginia West." I guess the part about the island was mildly interesting - that's the best I can say about this book.
Jessica
Oct 24, 2015 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book... this entire series of books (three) is terrible, getting progressively worse with every page, each book. I started this book in early August, and could only progress about one page each time I picked it up, it was so awful. And I generally take no more than 4 days to finish a book like this, if I am busy with other things. Awful. So disappointed in Patricia Cornwell, as I have enjoyed some of her Scarpetta books, and Portrait of a Killer. But now I am questioning whether to waste my ...more
Ana
Jun 05, 2014 Ana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book I have ever read. I actually ripped the book up rather than donating to goodwill as I normally do with books I dont like. I though that the world would be a better place with one less copy (in fact there are two less copies as I bought one at goodwill and destroyed that too). terrible story line, worse characters. 14 year old boy jokes. Like an attempt to write like Ben Elton by a schoolboy. DO NOT READ EVEN JUST TO SATISFY YOUR CURIOSITY
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I'd give this 0 stars if I could - my friend recommended Patricia Cornwell to me and this was the first one I tried. Which I've heard was an odd one, not her regular shtick. But I really disliked just about everything about this book, I think I finished it to give it a fair shake, but I don't remember much except some stupid small details.
Noah Turner
The characters were stereotypical and lacking any real depth to bring them to life and the plot was predictable. A true disappointment from a writer who has shown she is capable of much more. I can only imagine she was going through a difficult time in her life and driven by a publisher who pushing for a deadline.
J.W. Thompson
Jul 24, 2010 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not Cornwell's usual Dr. Kay Scarpetta books, althought she does manage to bring the good Doctor in for a consult. I enjoyed this change of pace and the range of Cornwell's writing skills. This is a must read for her fans---and I am one of her biggest fans.
Rachel
Jun 06, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Cornwell is a smart writer. Though she's a crime novelist and a bestseller, her books aren't fluff that is easily read in a day. I usually enjoy her novels, but this one had some really unusual elements and unbelievable coincidences in plot & among characters. A bit of a disappointment.
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Sentenced to Die (J.P. Beaumont, #1-3)
  • Shock
  • McNally's Folly (Archy McNally, #9)
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Inadmissible Evidence
  • Survival of the Fittest (Alex Delaware, #12)
  • Cat of the Century (Mrs. Murphy, #18)
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • The Night Crew
  • Going Wrong
  • Speaking In Tongues
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Dumb Clucks (Rotten School, #16)
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,
More about Patricia Cornwell...

Andy Brazil (3 books)
  • Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil, #1)
  • Southern Cross (Andy Brazil, #2)