Start by marking “L.A. Mischief (L.A., #2)” as Want to Read:
L.A. Mischief (L.A., #2)

L.A. Mischief

(L.A. #2)

If you have already read L. A. Heat by author P. A. Brown, you have met David Eric Laine and Christopher Bellamere. If not, get ready to make their acquaintance in L. A. Mischief, a fast-paced novella that details the early months of their relationship. David-a LAPD Homicide Detective-is stubborn, proud, and barely out of the closet. As the story opens, he is struggling to ...more
Published July 2008 by Bristlecone Pine Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.A. Mischief

ElaineY
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so relieved to be done with this book. It started out rather negative for me in that the last thing I was expecting was Chris in bed someone else, not David. I had to go back and read the first page again (hate it when I have to reread to understand) just to make sure I didn't miss something like it was a flashback. But no, it is present-day and Chris has just woken up with a stranger in his bed. He doesn't know how that guy got in his bed and neither did I. I was so upset with him. He's won ...more
Betryal

Be forewarned this story is not about any ongoing major crime like the first. It's mostly focused on Chris and David getting their shit together and about Des coping without kyle in the aftermath of his tragic death. I'm still shivering when I think about it. It was sick I tell yeah!

But I need to express my thoughts so here it goes...

What a horse hoof up the arse situation. First they both broke up, then together again and the same song and dance repeats itself. Let's add to that little
J.L. Merrow
Um. If, in your novella, you're going to include a sympathetic portrayal of a man devastated by a brutal rape and the murder of his lover, it is probably not a good idea to then append, as a "bonus" story, a tale of his best friend being blindfolded, abducted and forced to have sex with a man who then turns out to be his lover. Who was, apparently, just doing it for kinks.

The main novella was okay, I guess. I didn't feel I really got what was going on with David and Chris, but maybe I just wasn'
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
la mischief

This was terrible, just terrible. Where do I start? The author took a great HFN from the first book and demolished it before we even start the second. The least she could have done was make the break up on page.

Here are my complaints in no particular order:

The 3 way was not hot at all.

In the beginning, David was way already (view spoiler)
Kati
2nd in the L.A. series. I loved Des and I loved the friendship between Chris and Des and between David and Des. But I just didn't feel the mad love between David and Chris. I mean, Chris was pretty much head-over-heels for David, but David... David loved having sex with Chris - not making love, having sex - but he disliked everything Chris did and was outside the bedroom. I mean, he didn't even want to teach Chris how to drive stick or be seen with him in "his" bar. So yeah, I felt that Chris wa ...more
Ami
3.5 Stars

This is a sequel to "L.A. Heat" and from my point of view, the focus of this book is actually David' and Chris's relationship, NOT a murder case. There are two murder cases and both are resolved pretty quickly. I think this is more on the aftermath, how David and Chris try to walk things through since they are pretty much opposites. It's nice to read about Des too, how he deals with his life after what happened in "L.A. Heat". A nice read, and this have two short-stories of David and Ch
Natalia
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, gay, ebook, 2012, done
Good gay mystery in which David and Chris and their relationship (or lack thereof) definitely take precedence over the rest of the story. Two steamy short stories are tacked on to the end of the book.
Nic
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*Spoilers for books 1 and 2*
Anyone else have whiplash watching these characters make a decision and then immediately change their minds? Some very loosely transcribed examples:

Chris: “Come on, Des. We have to move on from David and Kyle.”
Des: “Yeah, let’s move on.”
Chris: (two scenes later) “Squeeeeee! David invited me to a policeman’s ball!”
Des: “OMG, it’s finally happening. You and David are going to be together!”

Chris: “Des, you know you can’t drink while you’re on these meds!”
Des almost kills
Kassa
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of three stories that focuses on the relationship between Chris and David from LA Heat. The first story is about David and Chris’ relationship and the next two are short, erotic encounters certain to raise the heat level. Be sure to have read the first book prior as the characters and past events play heavily into this continuation. These stories are not a second book so much as a deeper look into the main characters from the first book.

The first story has a bit of a confusi
Helen
So the detective work part was good. I didn't like how everyone was placing the blame for breakup on Chris alone. I didn't like that Chris and David broke up off-screen in-between novels - feels like a cheap move. And then there were the extra stories. The first one was passable - a bit of a tonal shift from the way things were left off at the end of main novel, but I guess I can place it further along the timeline - but the second one (view spoiler) ...more
DaisyGirl
4.5 Stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was different from book one not only in length (this one came in at 164 pages versus book one's 307 pages) but also because book two focused on the relationship development between David and Chris. *the romantic emo in me preens* I LOOOOOVED it. Although the mystery doesn't drive the plot the way it did in book one, it's still good.

Also, there are two short stories included in this publication: Halloween Pickup and Kidnapped. They occur in sequence (bet
Jen
I don't know what happened with this ePub file. It seems like they took a paperback book, cut the binding off, and scanned it into an ePub file that wasn't edited well before being sold. There are places where words are missing or just plain wrong. There are sections where the ending bold or italics tags were missing causing large sections to be bold or in italics. I was able to overlook it for the most part.

I didn't think this one was as good as the first one. There's no real meat to the story.
Tj
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
There wasn't a mystery at the heart of the story like last book which I think was a huge change and made me not like this book as much. The story is focused on Chris and David and them trying to work out a relationship again. I really think Chris needed a kick at the beginning of the book. He went right back to his old ways and he was messing up with helping his best friend, Des. (Poor Des. I really hope he gets a good guy for himself soon.) It was a ok story. I just couldn't connect with it, it ...more
Cheryl
Rating would have been higher but there are some continuity errors... Main character is named Christopher Robin Bellemere in book 1 and then Christopher Ryan in book 2. Also, the backstory of Chris' family's acceptance of his sexuality was not consistent between book 1 and 2. Chris told David one thing and his bff told David another in book 2. I'm continuing to read book 3 but if details just keep changing to suit the moment... blech.
Nicole
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much worse proofing, very little plot, some hot sex, some confusing behavior from people. The editing was FAR worse and makes me think the quality of the first book in the series was thanks to the editor. I'm disappointed but not devastated. I'll read a sample of the next in the series before buying it, but I regularly buy crap out of desperation so I'll likely read it even if the quality is worse. After all, I think it took 20 books before I stopped reading Anita Blake.
pbj
Denise
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely 3 stars. A very different book than the first one. The book started with Chris and David broken up. Not quite how the first book ended!! Then there was really no mystery to speak of. The way it was written I didn't buy David and Chris getting back together.

I genuinely like the characters, but I'm not sure that I will continue with the series.
Matthew Vandrew
I was a bit disappointed because the whole story was just about Chris and David coming back together, without the mystery/crime story. The ones included were about what LAPD is dealing on day-to-day basis. Sure, it's much more realistic this way (who would believe Chris can get himself into trouble in every book?) but not that enjoyable.
Karel
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nomance
I love it when characters are shit to each other.

Wish there's a 1.5 star rating, because this needs half a star off just for the 'mysteries' alone. They're not mysteries, just description of a cop doing his routine and serves as nothing but filler. I'm not sure if taking it all out would have made it a better novel, but it being there certainly did it no favors.
Anna
The thing with the L.A. books it that I really like Chris but David...not so much. I know he is afraid of what will happen when everyone knows that he is gay but the thing is that that came out in the first book so why does he continue to try to hide it a work...it annoys me a bit.
Diana
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked it to have a stronger detective story line. It was already established that they loved each other in the first book and I found all the angst unnecessary. I would have prefered the story to have ended in book one.
jules0623
I'm a little stunned by the stupidity of both these men in regards to safe sex. No mentions of getting tested before they move in with each other, either. I loved Des' storyline, though. I want more of him!
Jon
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice follow-up to the first novel, yet focuses much more on the relationship/romance of homicide detective, David Laine, and IT Tech, Christopher Bellemere. I've already purchased book #3 since it's focused more on police procedural mystery/thriller.
Mish Middelmann
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More sex than crime ... isn't that a better way for the world to go?
SA
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Quick read, explains some emotional relationship things from the end of the first book that really needed explaining to believe the conclusion.
Sarasaya
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Chris Smith
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mm
Really enjoyed it, but I preferred LA Heat.
R.B.
4.5 *
WOW, this was so frustrating, yet wonderful reading! Both David and Chris played on my nerves. I so wanted them to be together again!
  • Deadly Dreams (Deadly Mystery, #3)
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • The White Knight  (The Dark Horse, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • In Hot Pursuit
Pat Brown, writing as P.A. Brown, is the author of the Chris and David police procedural novels featuring LAPD homicide detective David Eric Laine and his lover, computer network engineer Christopher Bellamere. In L. A. Heat the first in the series, David is an uptight, in the closet cop living a life of denial and dark secrets he will protect at all costs. Then his life becomes entwined with Chri ...more

L.A. (5 books)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • L.A. Boneyard (L.A., #3)
  • L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)
  • Bermuda Heat (L.A., #5)