Start by marking “Codependence and the Power of Detachment: How to Set Boundaries and Make Your Life Your Own” as Want to Read:

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Codependency--living as if what others think matters more than what we think, and trying to please or change others--is an insidious and pervasive addiction. And there is a simple way out of it: detachment.

In Codependence and the Power of Detachment, bestselling author Karen Casey shares her story and the story of others who have suffered from codependency. Based on the in
Published September 1st 2011 by Conari Press (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Codependence and the Power of Detachment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Codependence and the Power of Detachment

Dec 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has no real value unless your codependency issues relvolve around alcoholism. Which is fine, but I wish the author would have titled it as such or at least listed something in the description. The issues of alcoholism and codependency go together, but not all codependency issues center on alcohol or even involve it at all. I gave up on reading this book a quarter of the way in when I realized EVERY SINGLE EXAMPLE of codependency and letting go revolved around alcohol. I can see how som ...more
Poppy
Each chapter is very like the chapter before it. Each is a story of someone with a problem with alcohol. The book is devoid of adressing codependence in other situations. In addition, each of the stories is brief and cursory. I would have learned much more with more details and fewer stories.
Maria
Dec 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't make it past page 41...doesn't address roots of codependency or really what detachment is or how to practice it. Recommend Pia Mellody's book Facing Codependence.
Candice
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This reads like a collection of promotional pamphlets from AA. I am not an AA believer. I am not a believer in the Higher Power nor do I respond to simplistic slogans or groupthink. The only valuable sentence was “Do the next right thing”.
Adrienna
I would recommend this book to those who are suffering from alcoholism, and addictions that are co-dependents of these addictions whereas they need to hear the sufferings from surreal people who share their stories to help you come out of these addictions. I did learn some things from the stories and mostly loved the parts that gave GOD the credit in the reading.

The author shared how she assumed AA would sole all her problems but had to go to the root of her problem--no matter how painful it wo
Christian Betheuil
You think the book is not for you because your partner is not alcoholic ... and then you realize that co-dependency is not linked to alcoholism even though that's the base the author is using.
Some stories are redundant, some are very sad, but by reading the book you realize a lot about yourself if you are the co-dependant one ... and the first thing you realize, it's not his/her fault!
I would recommend the book to anyone who feel they must make their partner happy.
Rachel Eldridge
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book uses case studies to explain how people practice detachment in order to resist enabling others under the false impression that it is helping them. It also shows the importance of not losing one's self in relationships with others. Case after case is explained in detail, and it is easy to identify with various lives, backgrounds, behaviors, and coping strategies.
Cyndi
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book focuses on the concept of detachment, which is key in becoming free of co-dependent behaviors and relationship patterns. For that reason, I liked it. Most books, even highly technical ones, do not focus on detachment as this one does. Each chapter is a case study, a different person's story. It's a short book and an easy read.
Bridgett
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A collection of accounts of how alcoholism affects individuals and families. Codependency is addressed alongside the alcoholism and detachment is emphasized as a healthy way of taking responsibility for your own life without taking responsibility for the lives of others.
Emily Holz
Not what I thought, its about people going to AA, but its still a good read.
Daniel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart! Powerful issues and discussed at depth in the form of people's stories.
Cindy
Jun 25, 2015
Patricia A Goodrich
Jun 12, 2014
Lindsey
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
SDM
rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Casey, Ph.D., has spoken on spirituality, relationships, and personal growth for more than twenty years. She is the author of twenty books devoted to the enhancement of one's personal and spiritual journey.

Her first book, Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women has sold more than three million copies. Casey is a popular public speaker on the spirituality conference circuit, an
More about Karen Casey