Start by marking “Garman and Worse” as Want to Read:
Garman and Worse

Garman and Worse

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
According to Wikipedia: "Alexander Lange Kielland (18 February 1849 - 6 April 1906) was one of the most famous Norwegian authors of the 19th century. Born in Stavanger, Norway, he grew up in a rich merchant family. Even though he was born rich he had a sincere affection for the less fortunate. And he treated his workers well when he was a factory owner. He remained a spoke ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by B&R Samizdat Express (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Garman and Worse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garman and Worse

Rosa Ramôa
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***
"Nada é tão ilimitado quanto o mar, nada tão paciente. Carrega às suas largas costas, como um elefante amigável, os minúsculos anões que trilham a Terra; e tem nas suas vastas e frescas profundezas lugar para todas as lamentações do mundo. Não é verdade que o mar é traiçoeiro, pois nunca prometeu nada: sem exigências, sem obrigações, livre, puro e autêntico bate o grande coração, o último saudável num mundo doente.
E enquanto os anões esforçam os olhos para ver acima dele, o mar canta a velha
Eirin
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I think I need to read the novel once more to fully appreciate it - I read it in bits and pieces, and I liked it, but I sometimes struggled remembering who were who, and what had just happened, etc, which obviously must have influenced my feelings about it. Love the beginning though, and the ending is absolutely heartbreaking...
Iain Vickers
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a curious and atmospheric novel which has a strong sense of Scandinavian culture. Ironically it also perpetuates or may even generate some of the stereotypes. It is a family saga, which shifts focus in an uneven way but had me hooked.
Susan
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I live in Kielland's home town part time and this novel captures life in Stavanger during that time.
Cecilie Røed
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i had to read this, because of a class i am taking in School
Ole
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kielland

It is quite strange. All my life I have had a bias against Norwegian writers. This bias was introduced through the dedication from the Norwegian school system to force bad writings onto young children.

So, what is this bias?

I`m not a big family guy, I never have been. I really struggle to feel sorry for spoiled middleclass families arguing about their petty lives.

Not that it isn’t important, it`s just that there is so much more, and interesting things to read about. Following this, I can`t stand
Halvor (Raknes)
This novel is both entertaining, well-written and deals interestingly with many of the important social issues of the mid and late 1800s. However, it doesn't delve very deeply into any of these issues, unlike in some of his later works. Also, I sense that writing this novel, the author started out with a number of tableaus that he had already developed in his mind and wanted to fit these into an expanded, coherent narrative. There are a bit too many story lines, too many central characters, and ...more
Melinda Brasher
Some of the historical detail here was really interesting, and it did have some good commentary on classism and the folly of men. The descriptions were undoubtedly nice, but too long for my taste.

My main problem was that I got the characters confused. Partly this was due to the number, partly to how many were introduced together in big clumps, partly to how each went by various names and titles, some of which made no sense. For example, why did they use the titles of consul and attaché for peop
Magnus
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Det er en meget god bog som handler om de siviliserede familier Garman og Worse. Handlingen foregår i det respektable Stavanger på 1800 tallet. Bogen tar for seg både kjærlighed, glede og sorg. Døra inn til sammtidens moraloppfatninger og problemer. Anbefales på det sterkeste.
Alexandra Crocodile
Kielland is a great writer, and this is a really good book.
Didrik
Aug 30, 2010
Ketil
Aug 24, 2011
J.Line
Dec 05, 2012
Torill
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2011
  • Meeting at the Milestone
  • The Sharks
  • Hellemyrsfolket 1: Sjur Gabriel
  • Maskeblomstfamilien
  • Lucifers evangelium (Bjørn Belto, #3)
  • Para Onde Vão Os Guarda-Chuvas
  • Gymnaslærer Pedersens beretning om den store politiske vekkelsen som har hjemsøkt vårt land
  • Seierherrene
  • Gravbøygen våkner (Alvetegnet, #1)
  • Synnøve Solbakken
  • Albertine (1886)
  • The Cross (Kristin Lavransdatter, #3)
  • 1950, High Noon
  • imot kunsten
  • Granta Portugal 1: Eu
  • Kurt Koker Hodet
  • Thomas F's siste nedtegnelser til almenheten
Alexander Lange Kielland was one of the most famous Norwegian realistic writers of the 19th century. He is one of the so-called "Four Greats" of Norwegian literature, along with Henrik Ibsen, Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson and Jonas Lie.

Despite being born wealthy, he had a sincere affection for the less fortunate, treating his workers well when he was a factory owner. He remained a spokesman for the weak a
More about Alexander L. Kielland...