Start by marking “Heroes and Fairies; Tales Every Child Should Know: A Selection of the Best Hero Tales and Fairy Tales of All Times” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  8,821 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Publisher: New York: The Christian Herald Publication date: 1907 Notes: This is an OCR reprint. There may be numerous typos or missing text. There are no illustrations or indexes. When you buy the General Books edition of this book you get free trial access to Million-Books.com where you can select from more than a million books for free. You can also preview the book ther ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by General Books (first published 1905)

John
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Next time I hear anyone talk about how violent movies and video games are and how they are so bad for the kids, I am going to point them in the direction of this book. If I were to pick any book to have someone read in the hope that they would suffer from nightmares, it would be this one and this collection of stories. American Psycho didn't frighten or disturb me as much as this book did. Now, a reason for that could be because I've dabbled in the soliciting and subsequent murdering of prostitu ...more
Steven
Apr 24, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
There are 24 separate stories in this book. Here's where I am so far...

Chapter 1. ONE EYE, TWO EYES, THREE EYES: I like magic goats. Add some mutants, and I'm in heaven. Excellent.

Chapter 2. THE MAGIC MIRROR: This is better known as "Snow White." The key difference from the film? The protagonist is 7 years old. To me this makes the story so much better.

Chapter 3. THE ENCHANTED STAG: I liked it.

Chapter 4. HANSEL AND GRETHEL: The father is so much less likable than I remember from my youth. It app
Caroline
I probably wouldn't have read this had it not been free for kindle. There're some favorites in here, but while I enjoy fairytails in general, I much prefer the unfiltered Grimm's. I mean, Cinderella's just not the same without some good ole toe carnage.
Jocelyn
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extended versions (full version?) of all the familiar childhood fairy tales like Aladdin & Alibaba, Hansel & Gretel etc, refreshing to read these again as an adult and realise how dark these tales actually are.
Mars
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of old fairy tales, pulled from various sources.

I'll do them by author, since they're hard to classify all in one chunk.

Grimm's Fairy Tales
"The Magic Mirror", "Hansel and Grethel", etc
No plot, no character development, a few are hideously abridged (although I can't tell if this is just a particularly bad edition), they're written in a rather dull language, and quite honestly not enjoyable in the least.

1001 Nights
"Aladdin", "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves", etc
These are actually not bad, but
Megan
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All families kids 5+
Recommended to Megan by: Audible
I was looking for an audiblebook that would provide a lot of bang for the buck (11 hours 5 minutes for 1 credit). We've been reading several novelizations of fairy tales lately,(like "Half Upon A Time") and they make reference to fairy tales that my kids aren't familiar with (like Rose Red, or the man who slew 7 with one blow). So, we've been checking out physical fairy tale books as well as audio books about fairy tales to fill in the holes in our fairy tale education.
This compilation uses olde
Jeremy Herrera
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not having really ever hearing the true fairy tales other than Disney or other modern children's story tailing, now I know the really tales. While the Disney spins of these tales are good and great moral values are taught to children, the actual fairy tales are much better and give a better lesson of moral values. They are more dark and in some cases violent than what we currently tell our children. Another great thing about this book is that it is more than just a few Grimm Fairy Tales but a fe ...more
Cecilia Ryan
In terms of retellings of fairytales that were perfectly fine before they were re-told, this is a book full of bad ones. I suspect some of them are just bad translations, but the prose is pretty awful in more than one place, and the stories are told awkwardly. Which is an unforgivable sin for a collection of fairytales, because the only thing that makes one different from another is the way they're written down.

I am disappointed by this book.
Dialma
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a similar book in Spanish growing up. I grew up knowing that fairy tales are dark and not always have a happy ending. But I love them! I love the morals they teach, and the fact that they teach us not to see life through pink colored glasses. And I love that my 9 year old twins can read them too, and that we can have discussions of the moral of the stories.
Lindsay
It was weird, some of these stories seemed sanitised (Cinderella for example), while others revelled in the tradition of gory fairy tales for children. Of course, we did have the perfect princesses and brave princes, but I did detect a note of sarcasm on occasion. Still, a nice read which took me back to my childhood.
J.R. Barker
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
I think this should be called fairy tales every child should know once they've grown up.
Some of the stories may want vetting for younger children.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I would stick to the modernised fairy tale versions.
It is fascinating to see where some of the stories stemmed from and how they have been altered.

Mary E. Daily
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remembered stories of my youth.

Yes, so many stories just as I remembered them, some I had never heard, and some different than I remembered. This is a great collection of fairy tales, saving the best for last!
sparkypink
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Wow. These are not your Disney sugar coated fairy tales, although everyone does end up living happily ever after. Well, almost everyone. It was interesting to read them in their original forms, though.
Ulol Kimil
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how the stories you "knew" via cinema/TV are quite so different from their real versions. Some are crud, some others more deep, some just have no happy ending, and nevertheless, almost everybody only knows the Disneysied happy versions. What a pity.
Katherine Myong
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my independent reading, I chose the book "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" by Hamilton Wright Mabie, and enjoyed it immensely. It is a book of fantasy stories, and I would recommend it not only to a child - like the title suggests - but to adults that want to indulge in their childhood again.

We're familiar with Disney - that big, iconic company that produces stunningly animated feature films, racking in millions of dollars from viewers around the world.
We're familiar with Disney's fairyt
Bhanu
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked reading since it is a collection of all those wonderful stories that one must have read in childhood. All those, fairies, beasts, giants and mostly good old English. By old, i mean really really old. The one's right after thy's and thou's. Though i admit thy's and thou's are funny to read, this one is a real pleasure. Simple stories that help to the wild imagination of children. Though there are certain stories that i found boring, the rest were so good that i choose to ignore the s ...more
Kathy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A very different take on the classic fairy tales.
Yi
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very classical and easy to understand.
Natalie Gamble
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun collection of fairy tales, many that I had never heard of before. It was a very light read and kept me very entertained.
Jeffery Williams
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are not quite the way I remember them. The language gets quite archaic sometimes. Still a nice set of fairy tales.
Ruth McGough
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book.

I enjoyed reading these stories first, then to my children. My son enjoyed Beauty and the Beast best of all.
Nataly Robles
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Light Princess was definitely my favorite story.
Carol
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
on my kindle!
Carol Ann
Yipes, and to think I enjoyed these as an impressionable child! What were the Brothers Grimm, and my beloved Walt Disney smoking?
Jazz
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, full of stories that every child should know. Reading this reminded me of all day f the stories I used to and has reawakened my love of fairy tales
Brian Remmerde
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of orignal fairy tales!
Christina
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, most of these I had never actually read before so it was interesting.
Jessica Roberts
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the oldies but goodies....

They are all here: Tales from the brothers Grimm, Perrault, Madame Gabrielle de Villeneuve, Hans Christian Anderson, Jonson, Arabian Nights Entertainments, etc. Why this collection gets four stars is the LENGTH of the stories. They are not shortened to three pages. The language is not dumbed down, and neither is the content. A good beginner's book.
Maki
I wouldn't say that these are essential fairy tales that every child should know. It's a fair collection though, from more well-known stories (Cinderella, Hanzel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk) to more obscure stories (The Enchanted Stag, The Fair One with the Golden Locks).

There's a lot of artistic license taken with some of the stories, which is fine in some places. It added padding to otherwise plain stories. Ali Baba and Aladdin were well done in that regard. Some stories were given laye
Tomi Alger
This was an interesting book, with tales with which I was familiar and with tales that were new to me. These are not the Disney tales. Some of the details were different. I did not expect Little Red Riding Hood to be eaten by the wolf! Because I read it on my kindle, I did not go back to the Table of Contents to see where each tale is from. The chapters headings for the stories did not give that information.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know 1 2 Aug 20, 2013 08:48AM
  • American Fairy Tales
  • The Night Before Christmas and Other Popular Stories For Children
  • A Collection of Stories
  • The Golden Acorn
  • Myths and Legends of China
Hamilton Wright Mabie, A.M., L.H.D., LL.D. (1846–1916) was an American essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer.
More about Hamilton Wright Mabie...
“Then the maiden climbed into a tree, and, seating herself in the branches, began to knit.” 7 likes
“Fair queen, at home there is none like thee,
But over the mountains is Snow-white free,
With seven little dwarfs, who are strange to see;
A thousand times fairer than thou is she.

Queen, thou art not the fairest now;
Snow-white over the mountain's brow
A thousand times fairer is than thou.

Queen, thou art the fairest here,
But not when Snow-white is near;
Over the mountains still is she,
Fairer a thousand times than thee.”
4 likes