Start by marking “To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)” as Want to Read:
To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)

To Darkness Fled

(Blood of Kings #2)

Enter darkness...

They have no choice. Chased by an evil prince, Achan, Vrell, and the Kingsguard knights flee into Darkness. They head north, for Tsaftown and Ice Island, where they must free an army that can help them fight for Er’Rets.

Darkness sickens Vrell. How long can she keep her secret without being caught? Achan already suspects her of lying. If she is not care
Published April 1st 2010 by Enclave

To ask other readers questions about To Darkness Fled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Darkness Fled

Start your review of To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
C.B. Cook
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
I read a lot faster than Jill Williamson talks. This is my first time listening to an audiobook, and I kind of enjoyed it, but I'll be glad to get back to reading. I rated this one star lower than the first book since I didn't connect with it as much, but I guess I can blame it being an audio book for that...

The Good
-Shipping. All of my ships from the first book are holding true.
-Duchess Amal. She had a slightly (slightly!) larger part in this book than in the first, and she’s my favorite femal
Shantelle
To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson - the book that kept me up until, well ... we'll just leave it at the wee hours of morning. *wink* I have been on rather a bad schedule, but truly, this story was so superb I just ignored the time! I wanted to keep reading and reading until I was finished. And then I thought, "Why did I do that? Now I have to wait forever for the next book!" So yes, it's like you want to read the book straight through without stopping, but then you regret it because you don't ...more
k.m.s.

This book has one of the most masterfully executed plots I've ever seen. With unexpected twists and turns, I found myself talking to my Kindle as though the characters would be able to hear me ;) I loved the development of them and would love to read the entire novel again from a writer's perspective to pick up some tips -- that's how good it was.

I did chip off half of that five star rating. First, because of a scene where Achan didn't convince me enough of how he'd changed. However, I
Becca
Finally! A trilogy in which the second book is an improvement upon the first! I could get used to this...

There are so many things to like. Where do I start? I guess I'll begin with what stood out to me from the very beginning:

(1) This book is much more complex than it's prequel. The characters' personalities are deepened; the magic system's dark side is revealing itself (Although I'm not sure "magic system" is the correct term. Blood voicing is a natural part of their world. It's not magic to th
Deborah O'Carroll
Originally read July 15, 2011

Book two of the Blood of Kings Trilogy jumps right back in where book one (By Darkness Hid) left off. Achan, along with the still-disguised Vrell, and the Kingsguard knights, are forced to flee into Darkness--where many unpleasant surprises await, lurking in the shadows... Jill Williamson once more combines likeable characters with high adventure, peril, faith, and discovery of oneself. I was happy to go along for the ride and see new places and meet new people, like
gabi
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book left me feeling…(What should I say?)…shocked, nervous, worried, excited, and just amazed. Totally amazed.

This book started just after book 1, I mean right after book 1 ended. Achan, Vrell, and three Kingsguard Knights (Sir Gavin, Sir Caleb, Inko) have fled from Mahanaim where the Council has voted Esek to be King, though it was brought to light that Achan was the real Prince Gidon Hadar and heir to the throne. Fleeing from Esek, the imposter prince, they head to Tsalfown. From there th
Michael
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first book in this series was interesting, a solid entry into the fantasy genre. This book, however, is ruined by its attempt at proselytizing Christianity. The writing was lazy and distracted from the story. I'm all for a writer fleshing out his world with religion, but don't simply lift Christianity whole-cloth, with nothing but a few changed names. I tried to ignore the preaching, but at the point Jesus Christ showed up, I just couldn't read any more.
Lila Kims
It's been a long time since I've shipped two characters this hard. Maybe, to those of you who know how much I like to ship a good ship, this sounds like an exaggeration, but you could only understand if you knew just what I mean by "this hard."

Answer: REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard.

Jill Williamson really outdid herself with this sequel. I didn't want it to end! And now that it's over, I'm desperate for book 3. (Good thing I have it sitting on my nightstand already.)

Every page of this nearly-700-pag
Michelle Griep
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yee-haw! What a ride. Author Jill Williamson serves up a non-stop, action-packed adventure in this second installment of The Blood of Kings trilogy. To Darkness Fled is a snappy Narnia/Tolkien mix with a bit of a contemporary flair. Intrigue and danger combined with humorous dialogue and sassy wit make for a satisfying fantasy read…way satisfying.
Many of the same characters I grew to love in the first book, To Darkness Hid, are alive and well in this story. The bonus is that new secondary char
Jesslyn
Wow, Ms Williamson really hit her stride with this one. There is more of the Christian aspect in this book, and the lead teenaged characters do a lot of growing up-setting the stage for the third book. Some of the plot is obvious to the reader, but is delivered so smoothly that you don't mind being led there-in the light-so to speak.
I am anxiously awaiting the next installment.
M.H. Elrich
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book made me feel for the characters and brought me along their epic journies. Absolutely love it!
Hannah
This series so far has been pretty fun to read. It kept me up at night. I thought book 1 was better though. Book 2 was pretty disappointing in regard to romance. Not necessarily in the "who falls in love with who" sense, but the mentality and thoughts the characters were okay with having.

Pros: There was great action. Lots of sword fighting and suspenseful moments. I appreciated the humor. Fantastic character development. The author did an awesome job incorporating her allegorical themes! I enj
Erica
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Painfully pious.

As a disclaimer, I understand that authors write about what they know and because of that, I can usually get through Christian influenced stories.

The first book was entertaining, the parallel to her Christian faith made sense in the first book, it fit into the world.

This book took proselytizing to a whole new level without any actual study of the religion of Arman. Nope. Just accept him. Don't ask questions, don't ask why, just accept him and you'll win. Three-in-one, straight
Rachel
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
In this second installment of The Blood of Kings trilogy, our heroes Achan and Vrell gather an army with the help of the Old Kingsguard Knights. The romantic tension between Achan and Vrell intensifies. I didn’t feel that this book was as good as the first. The religious message got a bit heavy-handed, and the plot barely moved forward at all. Sure, progress was made, but it was progress that was outlined by Sir Gavin as their “future plans” in the end of the first book. There were only two smal ...more
Lobug
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I saw before I read this that other readers disliked it strongly, saying it is excessively preachy. I was looking for that and didn't see it. It seemed a natural progression to me to include more on the religion, as the first book led up to it. Not having it in there would have been utterly inconsistent.

There was less action and more dialogue in this one than in the first, but I didn't see that as a bad thing. In both books, a LOT happens in a short time, but I suppose it would if you were invo
Sue
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth, fantasy
I enjoyed the first book in the series; the characters were interesting. I wanted to like this second book, but about half way through it became a chore, at 3/4's I really just wanted to give it up. I thought I was reading a fantasy book, instead, it was constant preaching. I don't mind a little religion or belief structure in a book, but this was over the top, forcing it on the reader, page after page, chapter after chapter. It also happened to be a way of interpreting the scripture with argume ...more
Michael Otto
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is book 2 of the trilogy. The action picks up & continues from the 1st book. Here to avoid the evil fake prince Achan,Vrell, & the Kingsguard knights on the run flee into Darkness. Achan is told they must go to Ice Island to free himself an army needed to fight against the evil fake prince. On the way there is opposition against them. Will they make it?
What about their traveling companion Vrell Sparrow going disguised as a boy when underneath is a girl. How long can she keep up this disgu
Carman
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those books that leaves me nearly speechless, I loved it so much. Jill Williamson is a truly gifted writer. She has the ability to write a story that completely captivates you. She weaves her story lines brilliantly. It is so masterfully done that you never know what is going to happen next, but you can’t wait to find out what it is! I believe that Jill is one of my top 5 favorite authors of all time. In my opinion, this book (and the one that precedes it) should be moved to the t ...more
R.J. Rodda
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fantasy
Overall a very engaging read. This felt like a necessary book (sometimes the second book in a trilogy doesn't!) with lots of action and some key secrets revealed (finally Vrell!!). I really enjoyed the humorous banter and found the story absorbing. I do find the Vrell character somewhat unbelievable and could not understand some of her decisions although they were better explained further on. I can't wait to read the final book.
Rose
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I really liked book one and this second book in the series did not disappoint. It was like what 'Empire Strike Back' was like in Star Wars. A great middle story that left you at bit on the down side but sets things up to the next installment. I can't wait a year to find out what happens!
Jessie
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jill Williamson did not disappoint me with the second book. In fact, I only got one hour of sleep last night trying to finish it. The story takes delightful turns, and at the end, it is hard to believe how tight and seamlessly it flowed. Loved it. Loved it.
Lady of the Lake
Fantastic second book! I was worried that after waiting and anticipating this... it would not could not be as good as the first.... BY DARKNESS HID...But thankfully all worries were for naught! This is a great read!
Lisa
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I know - I only give fives SELDOM, if ever.
Man, oh, man, was is a good series. Really Good. It's going to be a long winter if I have to wait for the third one until next April. Can I be your crit partner if I promise not to crit,Jill?
Bill Tillman
An excellent read, but please read Darkness Hid first, its a trilogy after all.
Keturah Lamb
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me for months to read this book!? In my defense I didn’t read any other books in this time span aside for audiobooks ... which still has me kinda embarrassed because seriously what kind of reader/ writer reads only one book for four months????

(Let me just say I’m excited for the audio versions of these books!!)

This book was amazing!

I kept thinking, “this should be super boring, because all they are doing is traveling, traveling, traveling, and talking in their heads”

But it was sooo not
Andrew
(I can’t decide if this has spoilers in it. I don’t give any plot points away but I do talk about characters and their development, although it’s mostly where they stand at the end versus where they were at the beginning.)

I. Can’t. Compute.
It's the Empire Strikes Back or Order of the Phoenix. To Darkness Fled is the middle stage of this epic (duh, its book 2 of 3), and in some ways my favorite. So much stuff happens in this book! Achan discovers himself and Arman's calling for one. At the begin
Elisabeth Wheatley
I was hoping this would be as good as the last one and yep, it was. There was a little more exploration of the religious themes, but nowhere near the overwhelming levels I have encountered elsewhere. (By “overwhelming,” I mean uninterrupted monologues that elaborate theological teachings for a page or more straight. Here the Christian elements are brought in as part of the story AS THEY SHOULD BE.)

The plot:

I think this baby is 700+ pages in print. It is not for the faint of heart, but the story
Stephen
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I keep reading this series over and over. I make it a point to read it every year. Such a great story! It says for young adults but don't let that stop you. I believe it is for all ages. If you pass this series up It is to bad for you cause your missing something special! I'd read By Darkness Hid, and enjoyed it immensely, so I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to read the sequel. To Darkness Fled didn't disappoint. I wasn't able to put it down. If it hadn't been a PDF file, I would've be ...more
Abby Jones
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I couldn't decide between giving this three stars or four, so I went with four because overall I liked this book, there were just a few points that I wasn't as happy with:
- Sparrow (lead love interest) makes choices that are plan stupid. I get some of them, but others just feel like they are made for the convenience of the story not because anyone would make that choice. When I finished the first book I had to start book two right away. When I finished this book I thought I might take a break ca
Kerry Nietz
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Middle books in a trilogy are tough to write. As an author you are saddled by the fact that this book isn’t the last in the series, and everyone knows it. You have to tell an engaging story and please your fans while still saving the big climax for a later book. Tough!

Thankfully, To Darkness Fled succeeds wonderfully as a middle act. It is every bit as an engaging as the first book, with lots of action and intrigue to speed you through what would otherwise be a long haul for most readers. (The b
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Blood Of King...: To Darkness Fled 25 13 Jul 11, 2015 08:37PM

• A Cast of Stones (The Staff and the Sword, #1)
  • The Hero's Lot (The Staff and the Sword #2)
  • Resistance (Ilyon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Fawkes
  • A Draw of Kings (The Staff and the Sword #3)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • The Shock of Night (The Darkwater Saga, #1)
  • Heartless (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #1)
  • Samara's Peril (Ilyon Chronicles, #3)
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
Jill Williamson is a chocolate loving, daydreaming, creator of kingdoms and an award-winning fantasy and science fiction author of over twenty books including By Darkness Hid, which won several awards and was named a Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror novel of 2009 by VOYA magazine.

She has also written several books on the craft of writing fiction and teaches writing in person and online o

Blood of Kings (3 books)
  • By Darkness Hid (Blood of Kings, #1)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)