Start by marking “Pink Noises: Women on Electronic Music and Sound” as Want to Read:
Pink Noises: Women on Electronic Music and Sound

Pink Noises: Women on Electronic Music and Sound

Pink Noises brings together twenty-four interviews with women in electronic music and sound cultures, including club and radio DJs, remixers, composers, improvisers, instrument builders, and installation and performance artists. The collection is an extension of Pinknoises.com, the critically-acclaimed website founded by musician and scholar Tara Rodgers in 2000 to promote ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Duke University Press Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pink Noises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Noises

Mentai
Ohh why wasn't this book around when I was in high school!!? Or music undergrad for that matter? I love the conversational tone Rodgers takes with her interview subjects. (and she lets the reader know if this is done via email.) Although the musical focus 'electronic music and sound' a range of genre, subgenre and context is covered. Very useful is a glossary of terms at the back of the book. This book is very user friendly but also doesn't shy away from technical details if that's what an artis ...more
flannery
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not an electronic musician so I have no frame of reference for some of this. But it's inspiring to read interviews with women at the fringes who take their art seriously and think about it complexly.
Cody
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
An important book. Pink Noises is worth seeking out even just for the introduction, which turns a much needed critical eye toward the gendered culture of modern music. But it's also a wonderful chance to gain direct insight from some of the most crucial composers, performers, and sound artists of the past fifty years, many of whom remain woefully underrepresented in discussions and considerations of contemporary music.
mali
This is an interesting book and full of important oral history. But, and this is probably my shortcoming, I couldn't plug through a whole book of nothing but interviews. A little more context and questions more attuned to the interviewees' experiences (rather than generic and rather uncritical ones about gender impacting work) would have added a lot.
Carol
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Pink Noises consists of a lengthy introduction followed by 24 interviews with women working in the medium of electronic music. It spans celebrated figures of contemporary music like Pauline Oliveros and Annea Lockwood to people working in dance and electronica to women working as DJs. It was a very interesting book, not only providing insight into the work of women whose work I already knew but also introducing me to work of those I had never heard of. However, Pink Noises does suffer from the d ...more
Patty
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read a book published by the publisher I work for. Coworker Amy told me this book was good, and I read the whole thing on a flight to Phoenix. Loved it, even though I knew very little about any of the musicians. It made me want to go and listen to their music, which I will do as soon as I have time!
Ken
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, and was quite inspired to get more creative in my own electronic music. I appreciate it when artists articulate their art in specifics and also express their artistic and wider concerns. Good job on the interviews, Tara Rodgers.
Chi Chi
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good collection of interviews with women working in electronic music. I've got a lot more records to buy now.
Liliana
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really inspiring ! Definitely one of the better music-related books I've read. Reading about women in general makes the topic easier to connect to.
lindy
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This should be mandatory reading for anyone had ever made/written about/HELL, LISTENED TO electronic music. School yrself on the foremothers.
David
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SUCH A GREAT RESOURCE!
Jess Gro
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
interviews with awesome women. a book to jump in and out of.
Anastasia
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid overview of a history of women in electronic music of various mediums. Some technical jargon that I didn't understand, but overall very important/reverent work.
Jeff
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tara rodgers is cool
Stantontas
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great to dip into. I wrote about this book here, still enjoying browsing it on bus journeys:
Camille
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Brian Eno: His Music And The Vertical Color Of Sound
  • Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking [With CD]
  • Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond
  • Hold On to Your Dreams: Arthur Russell and the Downtown Music Scene, 1973-1992
  • Noise, Water, Meat: A History of Sound in the Arts
  • Capturing Sound: How Technology Has Changed Music
  • Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD
  • Modulations: A History of Electronic Music: Throbbing Words on Sound
  • The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age
  • Haunted Weather: Music, Silence, and Memory
  • Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear
  • Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll
  • Heroes of Blues, Jazz, and Country
  • The Art of Noise (futurist manifesto, 1913)
  • Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
  • Improvisation: Its Nature And Practice In Music
  • Television: Technology and Cultural Form
  • Rock She Wrote: Women Write about Rock, Pop, and Rap
Tara Rodgers (Analog Tara) is an independent writer, composer, and musician, and the founder of Pinknoises.com, a website devoted to women DJs, electronic musicians, and sound artists. Her electronic compositions have been released on several recordings and exhibited at venues including the Eyebeam Museum in New York City and the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art in Toronto. She has received the ...more