Start by marking “The Wee Free Men: The Beginning (Discworld, #30 & #32)” as Want to Read:
The Wee Free Men: The Beginning (Discworld, #30 & #32)

The Wee Free Men: The Beginning

(Discworld - Tiffany Aching #1-2)

When Tiffany Aching sets out to become a witch, she faces ominous foes and gains unexpected allies. As she confronts the Queen of Fairies and battles an ancient, bodiless evil, she is aided (and most ably abetted) by the six-inch-high, fightin', stealin', drinkin' Wee Free Men.

Laugh-out-loud humor and breathtaking action combine in the books that launched the unforgettable
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wee Free Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wee Free Men

William Bentrim
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Wee Free Men: The Begining by Terry Pratchett

This book contains the stories The Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky. Tiffany Aching is a witch. A pointy hat witch with no warts but never-the-less she is a witch. She demonstrates to her peers and constituents that she is a competent witch. This book chronicles her development into a witch and her early encounters with weird things and weirder teachers.

I hate saying I was wrong. My review of I Shall Wear Midnight was not terribly flattering. We
Jabiz Raisdana
So actually this copy is the first two books of the series, and i have decided to stop after the first one While I liked the writing, the characters and much of the plot I found myself oftentimes mired in it and unable to read much are all.

Also, the excitement of this new genre for me wore off pretty quickly. Yes it was fun to be filled dreams and wonder and fantasy, but after a while it was hard to continue.

If you like dreams, fairies, witches, and bizarre plots, then this book is for you. It
Robyn
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers, young and old
Recommended to Robyn by: Library Lady
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Oh, my. Well, I started this as an audiobook and fell in love with the protagonist, Tiffany. The audiobook was AWESOME and often made me laugh out loud with the portrayal of the wee Scotsmen who Tiffany must, at first, contend with and, eventually, work with. I could not finish the audiobook before it was due back at the library and I did not wish to wait for it again so I took out the print version to finish it up. Of course, by then, I had the voices of the characters firmly in place as I read ...more
Lizzie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lizzie by: Got a copy of this from Evan.
Shelves: favorites, own
This was a fantastic surprise. I totally underestimated this one. I've never read Pratchett before, and I had some doubt that I would like it, pre-judging the genre Discworld sits in. I knew to expect a style most British, most silly, wit and wordplay and traditional magic, and a dash of zany action. It's a little like I've never outright read Douglas Adams -- he's very very funny (and I like his work a lot when there's people making it as funny as it is) -- but would I want to rest a whole read ...more
Leslie Kay
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book about a young girl who finds her way in the world and embraces who she is. Also, what's not to love about witches who help you on your journey and little tiny blue men with their own issues to deal with. Loved it! Tiffany Aching is the kind of hero I'd like to be.

Terry Pratchett certainly has a way with words... found myself chuckling out loud with some of his clever phrases and how he presents a view of the world.

"Are you listening?"
"Yes," said Tiffany.
"Good, Now...if
Cindy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here is what I believe -- the power of place and time plus the magic of observation -- along with great characters, humor and tiny, wild Highlanders. I haven't consumed a book so quickly, while marking pages and giggling, in ages.

"Somewhere, all stories are real and all dreams come true."

"'Tis a wee gift an' a big curse to ye. You see and hear what others canna, the world opens up its secrets to ye, but ye're always like the person at the party with the wee drink in the corner who canna join in
Steven Minniear
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, fun filled read. It was nice to have a laugh and enjoy a good yarn.
Juanita
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Review: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett.

This book contains two books. The first is “The Wee Free Men: The Beginning” and the second is “A Hat Full of Sky”, Terry Pratchett is a wonderful writer of fantasy. However, enjoyable as it was I thought it was more for the young teen group. I have always liked young adult books but this one was somewhat immature for me. Young readers will love the book. I only read the first book and plan to return to the second book at another time. With plenty of w
Tom
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who appreciate wit and humor
Shelves: favorites
God Bless Terry Pratchett.

Here's a funny, witty and absurd set of tales in a finely crafted world. Finally, a female protagonist that I can wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend to my (11 year old) daughter.

Our heroine, Tiffany Aching (age 9 as the story begins) isn't waiting around for her Prince Charming. In fact, there's no idiotic and vapid romance to be found here. Oh, I suppose there's Roland, the Baron's son. But he's a dolt. Tiffany knows she wants to be a witch and heads off t
Fran
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, magical
Last summer, this book was stolen from under my nose by the house urchin, which is, I think, a pretty good recommendation all by itself. We are both, now, huge Tiffany fans. I love the pace of these books, and the humor. Most of all, I love the ways in which the normal weaves in with the magical. Pratchett's footnotes are some of my favorite things in the world, and I bought the series in print rather than as an ebook in order to make sure I got them correctly formatted. Then I bought a second c ...more
Irina Poltavtseva
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Моя первая книга, прочитанная в оригинале до конца. Это такой кайф! У Пратчетта невероятный слог, язык маленького народца просто улётный. Сюжет достаточно простой, самое интересное в книге - сиюминутные вещи: ситуации, диалоги, мысли героини. Продолжу читать эту серию на английском.
Alysha
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I personally did not find this book very enjoyable. However, I recommend this book to people who want to get their brain working and thinking about the book.
Richard
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Two of the funniest children's books I have ever read. (And The Wee Free Men, which is the less well-known, is the funnier.)
Amanda
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

Can't wait to read the other Tiffany Aching books. These are so funny and charming, and Pratchett is a genius with dialogue.
Marsha
Terry Pratchett strikes again. Wait, that didn’t sound right.

In this two-part book, Mr. Pratchett gives us one of his funniest creations: the Wee Free Men, aka the Nac Mac Feegle. A bunch of rowdy, red-headed, crazy, drunken, thieving, violence-loving pictsies, they bow to no man or woman. However, when they spy a nine-year-old girl kill a vicious nixie with only a frying pan, they discover the one bigjob (human) they fear. Enter Tiffany Aching, a girl who wants to be a witch.

Tiffany has an inq
kitty kitty
I can't believe that I just gave a Terry Pratchett book two starts. I found this painfully boring and confusing. Dreams within dreams, it's real, it's not real, on and on, page after page. The only real interest was the Nac Mac Feegles. They were the saving grace that made me finish this book when I didn't want to.

Beth
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a hard time understanding the Feegles' language sometimes. Interesting stories, and I liked how "witchcraft" was more of using what nature has to offer. Tiffany is a natural and does well with the life lessons she learns along the way.
Aliasvt
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wee Free Men is a very enjoyable book full of humor and magic. It is definitely worth reading.
Christa
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Lucy-I'm glad this was a series. It was really funny. My favorite character was Rob Anybody. "Crivens!"

Sam-Really funny series. Favorite character was Rob Anybody because he was very funny.
Jean
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter, Tori, has been recommending this book for years! I stumbled upon it in my middle school library and read it. Great dialogue, logical magic, great book.
Erica McGillivray
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These are so good. I love Tiffany and her world.
Jesus Flores
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discworld
Wee Free Men
2 in 1 book

Book 1 Wee Free Men-
We met Tiffany Aching, who by chance sees the Wee Free Men and a monster lady trying to come out of the river, and manages to send her back, turns out Tiffany has in her the makings to become a witch (her grandma was one, but not exactly) Miss Tick a travelling witch tells her and when speaking of the event decides to go get help, but while that Tiffany’s little brother is kidnapped by the elf queen, and so Tiffany goes with the Wee Free Men to the fai
Amanda
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm working on a fantasy reading challenge, and one of the categories was comic fantasy, and, to be quite honest with you, I really struggled with this one even though Pratchett is my husband's favorite author. I’ve read what I wanted of the series and I was cool. Really enjoyed Good Omens and Equal Rites, and really? Content with that. So this time, husband and I went back and forth -- I wanted to read about Susan but not about Mort and not really even particularly about Death, so I tried Soul ...more
Alicia
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this volume of 2 novels, which I received as a birthday gift. With plenty of subtle, clever humor, characters who are likeable, and an action filled plot line, "The Wee Free Men: The Beginning" introduces the reader to Tiffany Aching, a precocious 9 year old girl who has spent her life on her family farm. After deciding that she would like to study being a witch, Tiffany finds herself embarking on a dangerous mission to rescue her pesky little brother. Along the way ...more
Mary Etta
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: overdrive-text
The Wee Free Men was a delight to read. Though written for children more mature readers can find fun in the writing and whimsy as well as wisdom and thought-provoking passages. Google for quotes or better still read the book and discover for yourself.

“The thing about witchcraft,” said Mistress Weatherwax, “is that it’s not like school at all. First you get the test, and then afterward you spend years findin’ out how you passed it. It’s a bit like life in that respect.”

Patchett's inspiration fo
Ladygwen
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erin
Logic and Whimsy ☺ to the extreme; Defines Erin. Just the right mix of crazy and mundane. Lessons to pay more attention to what is around you, to question not just accept, that it is still magic, even when you know how it works.
“I’ll never be like this again, she thought, as she saw the terror in the Queen’s face. I’ll never again feel as tall as the sky and as old as the hills and as strong as the sea. I’ve been given something for a while, and the price of that is that I have to give it back.
Joshua Gage
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Both books have Pratchett's trademark comedy and satire imbued in them, as well as allusions that would make any adult reader chuckle along with the young ones. Through this humor, Pratchett offers readers young and old alike lessons and morals about life. For example, Miss Tick's lesson to Tiffany: "If you trust in yourself... and believe in your dreams... and follow your star... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." Pratch ...more
Mr. Pirkl
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, humor, 2011
Terry Pratchett is hilarious. If you enjoy puns, crazy wild similes and metaphors then this book is for you. Pratchett has a gift for great descriptive language (for example "Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze." gross but descriptive right?)
This book was actually two stories about Tiffany Aching, who discovers she's a witch. She also learns that being a witch isn't exactly what she thought it would be like. She gets help on her adventures from the Wee Free Men, a rac
Christina Zable
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
We started to read this to the girls figuring that a YA title would be the perfect place to introduce them to Pratchett. When I read ahead, though, I decided that the horrors of fairyland -- dreams within dreams that haunt you and you can't be sure you've awoken from -- are not for our kids who are sometimes already nervous at night. So we're now reading them Mort which, being about Death and not fairies, is far less scary. 8^) For me, though, it was very enjoyable. I finished reading it just a ...more
Ellen Potter
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it's completely unique and different from anything I've ever read and the story is so interesting that it's hard to put down. The plot is extremely creative and thought through, with many plot twists and confusing ideas and dimensions - a lot of the book is up to imagination to believe that everything is true. It's not necessarily a difficult book to read but definitely requires you to not rush through because it may be difficult to understand. I would recommend this book to a ...more
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Master of Many Treasures (Pigs Don't Fly, #3)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 3 (Chrestomanci #5-6)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • The Bible Repairman and Other Stories
  • The Enterprise of Death
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1950s: Mischief / The Blunderer / Beast in View / Fools' Gold
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Requiem
  • Trolls in the Hamptons (Willow Tate #1)
  • Hainish Novels & Stories, Vol. 1: Rocannon’s World / Planet of Exile / City of Illusions / The Left Hand of Darkness / The Dispossessed / Stories
  • Heroics for Beginners

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld - Tiffany Aching (5 books)
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1)
  • A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)
  • Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4)
  • The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)
“...and then like someone rising from the clouds of a sleep, she felt the deep, deep Time below her.... She felt as if huge wheels, of time and stars, were turning slowly around her.
She opened her eyes and then, somewhere inside, opened her eyes again.
She heard grass growing, and the sound of worms below the turf. She could feel the thousands of little lives around her, smell all the scents on the breeze, and see all the shades of the night.
The wheels of stars and years, of space and time, locked into place. She knew exactly where she was, and who she was, and what she was.
'Now I know why I never cried for Granny,' she said. 'She has never left me.'
She leaned down, and centuries bent with her.
'The secret is not to dream,' she whispered. 'The secret is to wake up. Waking up is harder. I have woken up and I am real. I know where I come from and I know where I'm going. You cannot fool me anymore. Or touch me. Or anything that is mine.”
2 likes