Start by marking “The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes” as Want to Read:
The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes

The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy’s food-and-wine connoisseur, Ted Allen, presents a quick-reference cookbook—giving you the food you really want to cook and eat, and the know-how to pull it off with ease.

"With most cookbooks, you could plow through 134 pages of complicated hors d’oeuvres, salads, and the author’s philosophical musings about food before you get to the stuff y
Published October 11th 2005 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Food You Want to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Food You Want to Eat

Holly Celeste
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My biggest criticism of this book is it has a serious lack of photography. That's something I like anyway, but I think it's even more important when there's so much rambling copy. (I actually liked his writing style, for the most part.) And I need the pix to decide whether I want to make something.

Well, usually. I did make the Sauteed Sea Scallops with a Sesame Seed Crust. Pretty good. Not fantastic. And I got a couple cocktail recipes I plan to use for parties. Like the Red Hot.
Lynda
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
A good read and I found several recipes to add to my collection, but the book was not a keeper.
Maria
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty comprehensive book, one of those books that covers you in terms of almost anything you would like to make.
Ashley
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
My obsession with Iron Chef America borders on unhealthy. Ted Allen regularly judges on the show, and when I saw he had a cookbook out, well, I had to check it out. As you might expect from one of the Fab Five from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the book is directed toward men. The overall message is simple: Branching out from your food rut doesn't have to be difficult or scary; it can even be fun and impressive to that girl two floors down.

The recipes themselves were clearly for someone with a
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Another BPL book, though I'll buy this one soon. So far, have made a risotto and planned a pasta from this book, but will probably end up making almost everything. Some of his methods seem, at first, a little scandalous (sub parsley for tarragon? don't stand at the stove constantly stirring your risotto???), but he seems to know what he's doing, especially concerning Colman's hot English mustard (Nathan was a big fan of the wasabi-like heat it sent through his sinuses).
Michael Reynolds
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who cook
Basically, this book isn't for poor people. I'd hoped to get some ideas from it to help with my poverty stricken kitchen. uh, no. If you've got money to spend on ingredients and have all the handy appliances and throw parties where you serve expensive drinks, I'm sure it's great. Not so much for the college student.
Margaret
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm right in the middle on this one. I like Ted Allen, and his voice is authentic and enjoyable. I'm sure this book is very helpful for those who aren't terribly familiar with or comfortable in the kitchen. I'm cookbook junkie, though, so this was on the elementary side for me. Not a bad book, just not for me.
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my go-to cookbooks. Queer Eye came and went, but Ted Allen's cookbook has been a mainstay in my kitchen for years. I especially love his techniques for cooking meat and fish, and I use his hamburger recipe all the time in the Summer.
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wine-and-food
some nice recipes, but yeah, I like pictures that display the techniques & products. This book doesn't have many. But I did like a few of the recipes I tried, just don't feel the need to run out and buy this book.

more Ted on Iron Chef!
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-cooking
This is an okay book, with clear instructions and some good recipes. It's definately for the "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy" crowd; a good starter cookbook aimed at men who don't know much in the kitchen.

Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My new go-to cookbook for classics. I'm half-tempted to send it to my husband who is far away for a year so that when I come visit he can actually cook for me. But then again, I don't want to give it up yet. It's fun to read, easy to do and inspires confidence in everyone.
Anne
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Well thought out and well written entry level cook book. I don't think I'll buy it because I already cook very well and most of the recipes in here that I would want to make I already do. However I may check it out of the library in the future again to try some of the other recipes.
Natalie Olsen
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Some really nice recipes in here. I always use his salmon recipe when we grill it.
Liz
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I love love love Ted's writing. It makes reading this book so damn fun! You can feel his enthusiasm pour off the page and makes me excited to make the recipes in it.
Beka
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
You can definitely tell that it was his first cookbook. The layout was hard to follow, and there was a serious lack of photography.
Niko
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: The cast of Queer Eye
Another niche cookbook that isn't worth the trouble, unless your name is SME and you have a signed copy.
Jen
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drinks
This book includes some basics and some new ideas for simple recipes and easy entertaining.
Meghan
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I've got an autographed copy, and I will never let it go. Ted has found a way to make really fantastic food a possibility for those who aren't foodies, but wouldn't mind playing one for the evening.
Mckinley
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
looked at because of TV show, not impressed - nothing sticks out to want to try
Jose Escalante
  • Tangy Tart Hot and Sweet: A World of Recipes for Every Day
  • The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Good Eats: The Later Years
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques
  • Iron Chef: The Official Book
  • Didn't I Feed You Yesterday?: A Mother's Guide to Sanity in Stilettos
  • Cooking with Master Chefs
“The funny thing about Thanksgiving ,or any big meal, is that you spend 12 hours shopping for it then go home and cook,chop,braise and blanch. Then it's gone in 20 minutes and everybody lies around sortof in a sugar coma and then it takes 4 hours to clean it up.” 22 likes