Start by marking “The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life” as Want to Read:

Zen meditation master Thich Nhat Hanh offers his practical teachings about how to bring love and mindful awareness into our daily experience. Kind, purposeful, and illuminating here is an abundant treasure of traditional gathas (teachings) that unify meditation practice with the challenges we face in today's world.
Published October 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Mindful Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Mindful Living

Start your review of The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
Michael Cabus
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tuesday this week at work I was brought into a meeting to review my design work. Rumors swirled of a corporate merger or acquisition so everyone knew that the future of the company was in question.

A prim woman greeted me, someone I had never met before but who introduced herself as a HR specialist. It became clear this was not a discussion about design, but rather a discussion about severance and necessary budget cuts.

There were definite feelings present: anger, yes; anxiety, yes; but I had just
Jim Goodrich
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was wonderful to hear clear and useful instructions direct from a master that has been practicing mindfulness longer than I've been alive. Also, although I didn't plan it, it was fitting that I started this on Martin Luther King Jr. day seeing as how Thich Nhat Hanh was a personal friend of MLK Jr who even nominated Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967. Short and refreshing.
Talat
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all humanity; meditators, seekers of peace, Buddhists, spiritually-minded people
Shelves: buddhism
Thich Nhat Hanh offers authentic, and also warm, kind, and friendly, guidance in mediation. This cd features highlights of a number of sessions at one of Thich Nhat Hanh's meditation retreats. One of the qualities I admire about Nhat Hanh is his gentle, calm, persuasive presence. Equally valuable, Thich Nhat Hanh makes meditation so simple and obvious that I just want to meditate. Of all the mediatation teachers I have heard, he is certainly the master of making meditation real and putting peace ...more
Jed
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was cool to listen to this book being read by the author. I’ve always liked this guy. It was like listening to a wise, kind old grandpa give good life advise.
Daniel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised how much I enjoyed this, especially after the initial teachings about becoming like trees and mountains. Once I got into the vibe, though, I found a lot to reflect on and apply in my life.
Tyson Titensor
Two hours of information that will take more than a lifetime to master.
Joanne
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful way to relax and learn how to decompress from the stress of a day. So many helpful and centering meditations that we listen to every evening. To be heard again and again, I really liked this.
Lee
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listen to this audio CD often as I drive. The simple truths are easy to grasp and adapt to lifes dissapointments. They bring back to mind the beauty lost in daily mindlessness.

Peace is more than the absence of conflict. Peace is incomplete until we cultivate understanding, insight, and compassion, then combine that with action. Our compassionate action is love, more than just the word. We think we can simply say the words we will always love someone, then we forget them, leave them, or worse
Jason
This series of instructional lectures will help you to transform the abstract into the practical. Thich guides the listener through developing a daily practice in basic areas such as mindfulness, deep breathing, meditation, and how to be more consistent with loving kindness. I really appreciated how simple and practical his suggestions were throughout. More importantly, I appreciate his nature. He's very soft-spoken and compassionate yet also humorous which made these lectures even more ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2017
This was incredibly accessible. Thich Nhat Hanh conveys a playful, humorous discussion of the gathas (practices) of Buddhism. Think of this as an audio version of explaining yoga or weight training exercises and how each impacts your body and mind.

I found the explanations of the very simple, yet powerful exercises as enjoyable as the exercises themselves.

If I was setting up a kid's meditation class, I would look to his explanations as source material.
Amy (DemonKittie)
I didn't know that this was an actual recording of him giving a speech. I was very excited when I figured that out. I ended up listening to it and then after practicing it I fell into a wonderful sleep. I think this is a great guide to mindfulness and I recommend it if you are new to mindfulness.
Trisha Kilmer Postforoosh
Listen to him on audiobook
Dolly
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to know about Buddhism
This audiobook contains two parts, talks given by Thich Nhat Hanh about the basic concepts of Buddhism and living mindfully.

interesting quotes:

"The present moment is the substance with which the future is made. Therefore, the best way to take care of the future is to take care of the present moment. What else can you do?"

"Love has no meaning without understanding."
Pamela Huxtable
Breathe in. Breathe out.

I want to practice the hugging meditation.
Michael
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a short and wholesome audio with practical advise for everyday life. His voice itself is enough to put a you in a calm state.
Casseroll
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple reminders to stay in the present, breathe and remember that life is a journey. Easy to add to my day. Quick listen as well.
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
If you've had issues with finding mindfulness and meditation books like I have, I highly suggest Thich Nhat Hanh. I'm the fidgety anxious type and could not calm the heck down for anything to sink in until I stumbled onto his work.
Heather
This is a recording of sessions where the author is directly teaching a group of people about meditation and mindfulness. It starts very simply and you almost think to yourself, this is silly ... it’s so simplistic. Then you realize the imagery is utterly perfect in its simplicity. It is a short listen, and worthwhile - even if you just listen to the first half.

I especially appreciated the insights into the concept of “the kingdom of god” as it relates to the present - a more helpful
Katrina Sark
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breathing in, I know that I am breathing in. It is such a simple practice, but it can transform your life.

Mountain – Solid: The stability of the body will help bring about the stability of the mind. Sit in a stable position, and practice breathing in and out, you become more stable in your mind. Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain. Breathing out, I feel solid. From time to time, very strong emotions overwhelm us. That emotion can be anger or despair, or fear. And when we are overwhelmed by
JL Smither
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple books by Thich Nhat Hanh now, and I consider him to be brilliant and inspiring teacher. This CD (which I thought was an audiobook) is actually excerpts from a series of lectures he gave during a retreat. On the first disc, he offers a few meditation techniques that are easy to incorporate to a regular practice. And on the second, he talks in more detail about the benefits of meditation and how to be mindful during daily life, especially with loved ones. The version I listened ...more
Weekend Reader_
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Live in the moment and stop being distracted. I love his teaching so simple but very insightful.
Benjamin Fitzgerald Hernandez
I just love Thich Nhat Hanh.
Marie F
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this. I read it (well listened anyway) leading up to my surgery... It was a good timing I think, but also I liked the format because I could listen with my eyes closed attend to focus on the ideas. I am honestly no closer to being a meditator but it was good food for thought and I may revisit it to work on my breathing (being an asthmatic I found some mild benefit from the intentional breathing). I enjoyed the blended style, part memoir and part instruction. Never ever would ...more
Robyn
Mindful living practices are an integral aspect of knowing one's self and one's role in community. I feel that many concepts of emotion and communication are poorly understood and that better understanding some of these concepts will allow people to overcome obstacles that might otherwise seem unbearable. I wish that I had greater competency in this arena when I was working in a high-stress, low-appreciation environment because I believe it could have significantly improved the situation and ...more
Mandy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad audiobook - some good thoughts and potential practices. But - as a woman who has borne two children I get immediately irate with anyone who has not been pregnant (much less a man) who says anything remotely like 'why would an expectant mother not X, if she truly loves her child?' Judgmental to the core about an incredibly difficult experience you can't hope to understand. What he said didn't apply to me directly but made me angry for any mother who listens to this who would feel ...more
Heather Denkmire
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A word I usually reserve for the best compliments is one I'll use for this book: lovely.

Because "Buddhism" and "Buddhist practice" is so trendy, in my opinion, I've avoided learning more about it. Contempt prior to investigation is almost always misguided and this is the case here.

The little bits I've known about mindfulness and Buddhism have always been attractive to me, but this book has helped me realize I want to include more of it -- even begin practicing it myself -- in my daily living.
Angela
Re-read this again in 2016 (five years later!) and still enjoyed it.... In just two hours this entertaining and relaxing audiobook demonstrates the practices of mindful living and meditation through deep breathing. I plan to listen to it again from time to time to remind myself of the power of those simple practices. It would be helpful to listen to at night while relaxing in bed just before going to sleep. I can check out an MP3 download for free through my local library.
Jillian
I waited to post a review until I had listened to this twice (the audiobook is really essential). I had read Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of Understanding years ago purely as an intellectual exercise. This experience was so different.
Thich Nhat Hanh is a Zen master with a sense of humor. So many of the sentiments expressed resonated with me, and I am not a Buddhist. I, personally, found Chapter 3 to offer really helpful strategies in coping with difficult health issues.
Nicole
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends, family, students, colleagues
Recommended to Nicole by: DBRL
I will need to listen to this audio book again. Not because I didn't get it, but because I don't want to forget it. Thich Nhat Hanh speaks about the importance of the present moment, suffering, and making peace with the human condition. He says that the only answer is to be found in the present moment. Breathing and meditation are ways to get there. I especially enjoyed his advice on hugging meditation (see http://www.plumvillage.org/practice.h...).
Andrew Cohen
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like mindfulness is all the rage right now. If you are looking for a 2-hour audio book to introduce you to the concept and the practice, this is the one for you. He gives easy instructions for simple meditation techniques that will awaken you to living in the present, as well as discussing some of the philosophy of mindfulness. I couldn't recommend this highly enough. And best of all, it was free online from the Wellington Library's Overdrive subscription.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Art of Mindfulness: How to Meditate 1 7 May 13, 2009 09:28AM

• Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
  • Still the Mind: An Introduction to Meditation
  • From Fear to Fearlessness: Teachings on the Four Great Catalysts of Awakening
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • Quirky: The Remarkable Story of the Traits, Foibles, and Genius of Breakthrough Innovators Who Changed the World
  • Making Friends with Your Mind: The Key to Contentment
  • Be Calm: Proven Techniques to Stop Anxiety Now
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Stress and Your Body
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
“The present moment is the substance with which the future is made. Therefore, the best way to take care of the future is to take care of the present moment. What else can you do?” 19 likes
“Love has no meaning without understanding” 14 likes